Mountain Standard Double Black IPA | Odell Brewing Company

Style: American Black Ale

Added by Mebuzzard on 11-04-2009

Reviews: 242 | Ratings: 828
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a snifter from a 12 ounce bottle.

A- Massive frothy oatmeal-colored head with a pitch-black body. 4.5

S- Piney and resinous and citrusy up front. There's a sweet, vanilla-like and almost rye-like aroma deeper in. It's big aroma. 4.5

T- Deeply resinous, piney and then faintly citrusy, the hops by no means take the back seat here. At the finish I get a dry dark roast flavor and maybe even a tinge of coffee. 4

There's some hop bite on this, but it still manages a creamy, medium-bodied mouthfeel. The finish has a mild bitterness and dryness that works quite well. 4.25

I probably should go buy a few more 4-packs before I can't find this on shelves any longer and kick myself for it. This is a damn good beer.

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a bottle dated Best By 1/10/14, into a (tried in both a tulip and a pint, preferred a pint).
Appearance - black, but allows enough light in to notice carbonation and a mahogany tone is apparent against the light. Mountainous, mocha head with gobs of lace!
Smell - subtle pine, floral and citrus hops blended with chocolate and coffee.
Taste - Hops up front, dark coffee and chocolate malts finish on the palate. Some sips come across a bit too heavy, but that is nitpicking.
Feel - complex brew! Some hop bitterness, but overpowered slightly by the darker tones.
Overall - I love the Black IPA (Black Ale) style, in fact, possibly my favorite style. This is a brilliant representation! Complex, balanced and tasty...very well done!

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Pours a dark brown color with a good sized brown head with pretty good retention. Definitely resembles a Stout. Good deal of lacing. Smells of lightly roasted chocolate and coffee, as well as sweet, dark fruit and light citrus hops The alcohol is definitely there. The taste reveals some slightly more tamely roasted malts (as compared to the aroma). Licorice and sweet molasses go along with the chocolate as it warms. The taste is harder to completely pinpoint than I had expected. A good amount of bitterness, but this is one beer that I would say could benefit from even more bitterness, which would've complimented (in my opinion) some of the fruit, molasses, and overall sweetness. Incredibly easy to drink- I could probably down 3-4 of these in an hour, which is impressive considering the ABV (second straight time I've had that sentiment regarding a beer from Odell). Overall, a little bit less than what I was hoping for, but if you're looking for a balanced taste, with high ABV and drinkability, this one is a good bet.

4.84/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass. This is an extremely interesting beer that crosses over different styles of beer and makes for a lovely flavor. I poured this at fridge temperature and drank over the course of half an hour to experience the flavor at different temperatures.

Appearance: At initial pour this beer has an extremely dark color with three quarters of head. It almost looks like a Russian or chocolate milk stout it is so dark. This initially intrigued me as my friend I was trying this with is an extreme fan of Russian and milk stouts. Throughout, the carbonation is medium-heavy. Some foam sticks to the glass as it is drank.

Smell: Honestly, this beer's smell has no imperfections and is one of the most pleasant to sniff. It smells hoppier the warmer it gets. Smells of chocolate and milk break through. Some malt.

Taste: An extremely tasty beer, but I do wish the hops were more apparent as it is advertised as an imperial IPA. It tastes like a Russian stout just as much an IPA, this is not necessarily a bad thing though. My friend and I both really liked this beer. He preferred it colder and I preferred it slightly warmer as I am the hop whore.

Moutfeel: I very much enjoyed the entire experience of drinking this beer. As much as I enjoyed the initial flavor and the sensation, it only got better as I drank it. The finish is perfectly smooth.

Overall: This a spectacular beer that mixes the best of the imperial IPA world with the Russian/imperial stout world. Extremely dark with only the hint of hops that one would expect. This is like a mix of Odell's Myrcenary with Lugene's. I feel like Odell should advertise this as some imperial stout IPA as that is the best description I can think of. The best food pairing I can imagine is some barbecued brisket. Fantastic beer that merged my friend's favorite flavor with mine. Highly recommend for a stout lover trying to get into IPAs.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Near perfect for me. I enjoy milk/imperial stouts, and I was not expecting to like this beer. The color is very dark and the head is quite nice. Smell: Notes of chocolate and milk. Again, not what I expected, but I loved it. As the beer warms to room temperature, the hoppiness of the IPA comes to the forefront. Taste/mouthfeel: This is a unique beer. At the pour, the beer was chilled and I very much enjoyed the stout-eske characteristics of malt and body. As the beer rose in temperature, I both smelled and tasted more hops, which I personally did not care for as much. My first sip was perhaps the best; the flavors all came at me in progression for a hell of a ride, finishing with the signature hoppiness of an IPA that I expected. Overall, this beer intrigued me. It strikes me as a hybrid of a stout and an IPA. I will likely try it again just for another chance to decipher all that is going on in its taste.

4.41/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a dark, used-motor oil black capped by a creamy, tan, two-finger head. Head stays intact all the way down the glass. Leaves behind a nice wall of lacing.

S - Upon opening the bottle, there is a light nose of chocolate and malt - not much hinting at what lies within! In the glass, licorice, molasses, and alcohol notes begin to come out.

T - Chocolate malt upfront. The body is a delicious blend of dark rum, licorice, and molasses overlain on a rich, chocolate backbone. A bit more chocolate and touch of bitterness as the beer passes over the back of the tongue leads to a complex and delightful finish of candied plum, dark rum, and chocolate.

M - Full bodied and creamy like a good stout, but also embodies some of the chewyness of a well-crafted IPA. Just about perfect!

I figured that I'd finally pull this out of my refrigerator and review it after a hard weekend of working on the house and selling some car parts. The fact that today we switched back to Mountain Standard Time from daylight savings is only icing on the cake! This is a fantastically complex and rich beer that blends the attributes of two of my favorite styles: hardy stouts and IPAs. It is really just absolutely delicious and I could see myself drinking a couple of these in an evening if only I could erase from my memory the disaster resulting from $2 a pint Old Rasputin....

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Pours dark burgundy brown color with a thin but even layer of toffee colored foam which sticks to the sides of the glass like glue.

S - Chocolate roasted malt, light char, and tangy citrus.

T - Follows the nose: Bitter chocolate roast throughout and ends with a tangy grapefruit/citrus, and pine finish. The lingering flavor on the palate is chocolate bitterness and a resiny coating of citrus.

M - Thick medium body and almost creamy carbonation.

O - Definitely worth trying and I'm not a fan at all of Black IPA's.

4.16/5  rDev 0%

Pours a deep black with dense creamy tan head. Heavy lacing left behind and great head retention. Nose starts with some nice herbal hops along with some bright fruity notes. This is paired with a nice robust roasted barley note. Taste is herbal up front with plenty of roasted notes and piney hop notes. Mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the black IPA since they often seem gimmicky. This one melds the dark malts nicely with the hop profile and makes for a delicious beer.

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Newcastle Brown Ale signature glass. The pour is black (predictably) with a well-formed beige head that retains quite well for such high ABV. Very porter-like in appearance. The nose is roasty, but also hoppy and fruity. It reminds me of espresso and lemon.

The beer has a medium body with an interesting flavor. It's neither super-roasty nor super-hoppy. It has some nice roasted notes up front with plenty of sweetness to balance it out. The beer gets fruitier as it travels over the palate. The finish is slightly sweet, lemony, and leaves a hint of roastiness lingering. The feel is nice and creamy and it hides its alcohol extremely well.

I don't drink Black IPAs very often, but I always appreciate a good one. The blend of light roastiness and lemony hoppiness makes for an interesting, complex flavor. This one is a good one.

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a pint glass at 46 degrees.

Appearance: A two finger head that is medium tan color with great retention. The head left a good amount of lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is dark brown, like used motor oil. A few highlight in the beer which are a deep rich mahogany in color. Overall a very good appearance.

Smell. A deep rich roasted malt aroma, with biscuit, chocolate, and coffee aromas. The hops of the beer is rich grapefruit, pine and citrus. In the background is a hint of phenol.

Taste: A rich roasted malt with yeast, bittersweet chocolate, and espresso. The hops in the flavor is rich and full bodied, with grapefruit, pine, and lemons.

Mouth feel of the beer is astringent, coating, warm, and carbonated.

Overall: This is a very good example of a black IPA, the body of the beer is solid, and the hops gives a well rounded performance. I really enjoyed drinking this beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

pored 12 oz bottle into snifter. Best by 2/27/14

A - A very dark walnut wood color, almost black with a 2 finger khaki Excellent retention and lacing.

S - Big roasted malts give this a bitter chocolate and coffee forward nose. Some floral, earthy. pine hops play along.

T - Taste is more hop forward compared to the nose. I pick up some piney, earthy hops, but the bitterness eventually yields to the roasted malts. The dark chocolate and light coffee are on display in the middle. It finishes with some piney hops and as someone else mentioned a little mint.

M - Medium body with a richness and good carbonation.

O - A nice black ale that does a good job melding the roasted malts and bitter hops together. The alcohol is not present and it is quite nice.

Poured into a Maui Brewing Company pint glass. Super dark, almost pure black. Smell is wonderful. Malt, Chocolate, hop, a little mint as well. Taste is, well, sip, sip, sip. You feel the alcohol more than you can taste it. I'm sure it could creep up on you pretty quick. Taste is malty goodness, chocolate, hop and more hop. Great beer from a world class brewery. Cheers!

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a near black with just a light hinge of brown, half finger of tan head, nice lacing

Smell is well very nice, like mix of Myrcenary and a imperial stout, tropical at first with a lot of pineapple and oranges then turns in to a roasted note, chocolate, espresso, and more chocolate

Taste is like a spicy and piney hoppy imperial stout, you do get a little orange citrus that mixed with a chocolate very nicely, cocoa, vanilla, pine, pineapple, spruce and a light toffee, you can feel the alcohol ever so lightly in the finish.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side, not quite like some big stouts but certainly higher then most DIPAs, medium light carbonation, slight dryness on the backend

Wow, I thought New Glarus Black Top had its self together as far as the blending of the styles goes. This is quite a bit bigger beer, but it is in perfect harmony between hops, malt, alcohol presence and feel. Really good stuff. I am trying this for the first time and it is 5 days before its best by date, I know it is not that old but I do wonder if I would like it as much fresh with more of a hop bite, either way I am glad I was able to get some for 6.50 a 4 pack!

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip glass from a 12 oz bottle.

Pours deep black with a medium head that quickly dissipates.

Aroma is chocolatey and malty, with pleasing piney hop fragrance.

The taste is a combination of hop bitterness, chocolate malt, and slight alcohol burn. The bitterness remains, but the chocolate lingers on the back of the tongue even longer.

Medium mouthfeel; not too heavy and not too light. Just right.

Overall, this is a fun and complex beer. The hops balance well against the chocolate maltiness.

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- black as tar. 1 finger khaki head. Outstanding lacing

S- One of the more hop present Black IPAs I have had. Lots of citrus and hop character. Minty almost. Dig deep to find the roasted notes the labeling speaks of.

T- Hop forward again with the roast and malt settling in well towards the finish. Juicy initially before the charred toast and spice comes through.

M- Mid body. Warmth is certainly there, making this a great feel in the winter. Maybe a little slick feel.

O- Amazing really. The biggest problem I have with most black IPAs is that they are really more of a hoppy stout than a dark ipa. This one stays true to form better than any other that I have tried.

Reviewed 1-19-14
Best by 1-22-14
4 pk for $11

I generally don't like stouts. They're too much of everything, and very little balance. But Mountain Standard made a believer out of me. It's strong, and hella spicy. And then the alcohol hits you. If a beer could be exciting, this is it for me. The taste will distract you from whatever else you're doing; you can't ignore it.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From a 355 ml bottle (best by February 18, 2014) into a tulip.

A-A slightly aggressive pour produces about two fat fingers of khaki head with so-so retention. The lacing is solid and leaves nice waves of foam on the way down the glass. The beer is pretty black and opaque. Good-looking stuff.

S-The aroma is heavy on the citrus with orang zest, grapefruit, and maybe a bit of slightly sweeter fruit like tangerine. There is very little to suggest I'm drinking a black ale at first, but as the brew warms up, I get a bit of rye bread and cocoa.

T-The taste is also heavy on the citrus with zesty orange and grapefruit, as a well as some pine bitterness. The hops are nicely balanced by cocoa and milk chocolate notes from the malts. Roasted flavors are pretty subdued, but there is a nice bit of chocolate going on. Alcohol is well-concealed.

M-The feel is medium to slightly heavy in body for the style. Carbonation is average.

O-This is a hop-heavy example of the style that drinks much like a IIPA, so props to Odell for truth in advertising this Double Black IPA. This tasty beer that hides its alcohol well and provides a nice balance between citrus hops and chocolate-forward malts. A nice hoppy beer for this brisk winter evening and a good break from my stout binge of the past few weeks.

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Poured into a new belgium globe. Best by date of february 2014. Conservative pour yields three fingers of light tan head. Thick and creamy head built up slowly. Lots of stickage on the glass and the head retains nicely.

Smell: Hops take the forefront of the nose with fruity and pine notes. Also chocolate and coffee finish off the nose. Smell fantastic. Like the more hop forward aroma and think that is what this style should bring.

Taste: Initial blast of fruity hops immediately gives way to roasted malts. Hop bitterness lingers throughout but also melds with the dark malts of the beer, for a delicious brew.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Hop bite throughout with roastiness mixing in with the fruity hops. No bite of alcohol despite the higher abv.

By far the best black IPA I have had as it should be since it is the most expensive. More flavorful with the hops and the malt over any other I have tried. Odell brewing does it again. WOW just a fantastic "black IPA" that blows any others that I have tried out of the water. Don't really have any complaints about this beer.

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown glass bottle with a drink by date of 1/22/14 marked on the label. Poured into a 16 oz nonic style tumbler.

Appearance - Pitch black body with next to no light filtering through. When held up directly in front of a light source, there is a dull burgundy hue visible. Atop the body sits a healthy three-finger head, and I must've gotten a little carried away with the aggressiveness of my pour, as this baby is coming over the edges. Head is rich, dense foam the color of chocolate mousse, and the pocking begins immediately, giving it the look of the inside of an english muffin. As it dissipates, it leaves sticky, webbed lacing around the glass. As I drink it down, it again leaves pronounced, sticky rings.

Smell - Notes of roasted malt, charred bread, earthy, soil-like hop characteristics, and a faint medicinal quality that seems to fade as the liquid warms to room temperature. There is a pretty detectible presence from the alcohol as well, leaving those familiar piercing esters. I wish it was a bit more aromatic.

Taste - There is a lot of the alcohol character in the taste, along with more subtle elements of dark fruits--black currants, dates, plums and some fainter notes of roasted cacao and maybe fresh-brewed coffee. There is a slightly sourish twinge on the finish--not sour like you'd expect from wild bacteria, but sour like you might expect from some kinds of grain or bread, like wheat and rye.

Mouthfeel - Semisweet finish, with a body on the heavy side of moderate, along with ample carbonation. There is a silky feel on the tongue after the swig has been swallowed.

Overall, a decent take on the black ale style. I wish there was a bit more hop presence, as the crazy blend of floral, herbal hops and earthy, roasty malts is what I love about the "black IPA" style in the first place. I also think the ABV level on this one gets a bit away from them, imparting more heat than I would expect, even of an imperial version of the style. Trust me, however, when I say I won't mind finishing the 4-pack.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

App: Red with dark heart. Sort of like pomegranate juice in the sun. Thick head that persists over time.
Smell: Assertive smells of malty sweetness coupled with hops bitterness in the background. Notes of chocolate, fresh bread and uncooked batter. Definite yeasty pungency.
Taste: Smokey sweet malt flavor comes on strong, but dissipates quickly. Tastes commingle half way through a drink, combining to create a taste that is none of its components. Finishes with a lingering savory taste anchored in the hoppy bitterness.
Mouth: Smooth and soft. Heavy and approaching a syrupy lingering sweetness usually associated with stouts.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So I will open by admitting that if it's done really well, I really like a good CDA. This is an excellent example.

Pours into the glass like a porter: deep brown bordering on black with a modest tan head that leaves traces of itself around, marking the depth on the glass as I enjoy the liquid below it.

The nose starts off slightly sweet: almost a floral hop with chocolate roasty body. Delving deeper into my nose hole, the oily hops take on a pine characteristic, and some of the alcohol starts to seep through.

When it hits your lips though...

Flavour starts off like a big juicy DIPA, with juicy hops and a full body with enough malt sweetness to balance. Then the tongue realizes that instead of just being good old caramel or bread, that's chocolate butting its way in. Some sweet honey, alcohol is more present on the tongue than on the nose, some coffee and finishes with the pine and grapefruit bitterness (again) of a great DIPA.

The bitter lingers on the tongue as it is wont to do, but it's not just piney hops, it's bakers chocolate and the thick smoothe body as well that sticks with you. There's a little bit of alcohol flavour, but there's essentially no burn, and I would easily believe this were in the 6% range as opposed to almost 10% if I didn't know better. Well hidden.

As I said up top, I am a fan of well done Cascadian Darks. This is one of the best I've had. This continues the trend I've noticed since moving to the midwest: I'd never had their product before, but holy shit those folks at Odells know what they're doing. This is an outstanding beer from an amazing brewery. I don't think it's hyperbole to say I'd put it among my favourite beers I've had. Period.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First Review. Just saying.

Poured from a bottle into a Surly Darkness snifter glass.
Note: Reviewer suspects some aging. See Aroma.

Appearance: I like the look. A nice abysmal black color with a nice creamy-tan, two finger head holding on for some time. Lacing was great.

Aroma: The hop character was hidden in the roast- chocolate-alcohol aroma. (I suspect that the beer was not exactly fresh because there was a subdued hop character with another funky smell.) I also picked up a some smoky character. After all of that there was a little Piney-citrus.

Taste: Like the aroma, the malt character stood out. There was the roasti-chocolate. The alcohol flavor was there. The bitterness seemed to come from both hops and malt, which I thought made it meld well. I Picked up a resinous-piney taste. Citrus notes. A dry end with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body. Some warming from the alcohol.

Overall: I liked the beer. I'm unfamiliar with the style, but it seems a little more hop American hops character would have made it great.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - 4.5 - This is a pretty good looking beer, definitely lives up to their double IPA. Dark brown-black colored beer with a nice off white-tan head that leaves great lacing on the glass.
S - 4.0 - Some citrusy/piney hops with roasted malts/coffee in the background. What a black IPA should smell like.
T - 4.5 - Definitely a lot of the same citrusy orange zest, grapefruit, and pineapple flavors seen in Myrcenary but with a dark roasted malt background.
M - 4.5 - medium mouth feel. Definitely half way in between a stout and an IPA. Alc is there but appropriate for the style. Aftertaste is bitter citrusy hops.
O - 4.5 - Nice. I liked this the first time I had it, and I like it again now. Great beer.

4.14/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle courtesy of SalukiAlum (I think) pours a dark brown color with a nice creamy cap of tan head. Awesome retention and even better lacing. Its nice when a beer label is actually informative, looks like this is an uber fresh example since last Saturday was DST fallback.

Nose is fruity hops with a chalky, roasted maltiness that combines to give it a plum-like aroma. Smells pretty good, not acrid or overly bitter.

The hops definitly dig deep right from the start all the way to a pithy finish, there is a ton of hops in here. The malts are thankfully not as roasty as some of these Black IPAs can get. Hops are lush, fruity and bright, also fairly unique in this style. Excellent beverage, Odell can make some damn fine hoppy beers.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a deep coffee black with a one finger off-white head. Quite stout like in appearance, but very nice. Scents of peat moss, pine, roast malt and black coffee. True to style, the earthy qualities and hops shine through, backed by a nice roast and black malt scent. Very well done. Taste is roast malt, a bit of alcohol mingling in the background and finish, an ample level of piney hops, citrus pith and grapefruit, some very faint hints of coffee and sweetness and a nice earthiness in the background. It's a very good set of flavors, hoppy yet roasty, bitter with an earthy hint. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy bodied with moderate carbonation and some alcohol burn with an oily-slick finish. Very good, quite nice to drink. Overall this is a good black IPA. It's got the hops, it's got the earthiness and it's got the roastiness to compete with others in it's class.

Mountain Standard Double Black IPA from Odell Brewing Company