Avant Peche Imperial Porter - Odell Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

American Porter |  9.50% ABV

45% Ale with Peaches added
19% Ale Aged in Oak Barrels
36% Ale Aged in Oak Barrels with Peaches.

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 12-30-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avant Peche Imperial Porter Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ok, this is an oddball beer. Seems like I've been drink oddities lately. An American porter with peaches. Sure....

Nice pour. Dark brown, slight ruby highlights. Head is rocky and off-brown. Looks pretty good. Thin lacing, surprisingly.

Aroma is tart. Cocoa and burnt caramel. Some black strap leather and, yes, peaches. But not sweet peaches. More like peach flowers.

And the taste follows. The peaches give the beer a tart/sourness that goes against the cocoa and coffee. It just doesn't mesh well for me. I think this bottle is 1 year old, so maybe it was better fresh. Not that it's bad. It's just a tad chaotic. The peach flavor, if there was one, is gone. Peach "tannin" is left. And this covers any hops that were used.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

4.78/5  rDev +25.1%

A: Served from a corked 750 ml bottle. Deep dark brown color, no translucency. 2 fingers of mocha brown head.

S: Smells of dark malts and dark fruits (raisins, figs, dried peaches).

T: Holy sour! Did not expect a sour ale with the description. There is a smoky flavor within the sourness with a moderate sweetness.

M: Medium bodied beer with a dry finish. Slight warmth in the belly after a few sips.

O: This was a surprising beer. I don't know if this was maybe contaminated with a wild yeast but it was damn tasty! I could not perceive a whole lot of peaches in this beer considering how many were used. Would love to drink this beer again.

3.63/5  rDev -5%

750ml bottle poured into glass. Interesting brew in that it is a blend of the following:

45% Ale with Peaches Added
19% Ale Aged in Oak Barrels
36% Ale Aged in Oak Barrels with Peaches

From the label I expected a strong port with a fruity/peach undertone. That's now really what I got. My first impression was, "Wow, that's different". I wish it had more peach and roasted barley flavors. In a blind taste I would never had guessed this was an imperial porter.

A - Pours a deep brown/black color without any visibility through the glass and a dark creamy tan head. Certainly looked the part of imperial porter.

S - Very slight fruit aroma with a bit of roast. Subtle hints of tart sour but not much.

T - Slightly tart and barely sour with a sweet citrus flavor. Not much in terms of roasted malt. Not much of a hot alcohol flavor I expected.

M - Very good mouthfeel and very pleasant.

D - Very drinkable beer. Not too overwhelming in terms of alcohol considering the ABV. Easy to drink as the 750ml didn't last long.

Reviewed on: 12-31-2010 01:55:24

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Dark brown pour, thin dark tan ring of head that is pretty small on top. Maybe the first time I have smelled fruit, peach, and the roastiness of a porter. Good tartness to the peach aroma, just two smells that you haven't come across in the same beer probably.

Mild brett taste, light sour and peach notes, good roasty malt bitterness, slight alcohol twitch. Some sticky chocolate in there. Middle of the road complimentary oak flavor, not big on the wood, the woodcut type, this isn't all that dry and pronounced. Throw in a smidge of molasses maybe.

This beer can't be for everyone, but I think its a winner. A little pricey, I think I was picking these up for around $13 while I was in Arizona, but overall, I'd buy it again if I saw it.

2.4/5  rDev -37.2%

750ml bottle poured into a wide tulip glass

A: Pretty light for a porter, pours a dark brown with about 3 fingers of light tan head. Amazing head retention.

S: Mild brett funky aroma with some milk chocolate and roasted malt aromas. Odd and not very strong.

T: Very odd. Fairly strong brett funkiness with some chocolate and coffee flavors. I'm not really a fan.

M: A bit thin for the style, but good carbonation.

O: I don't really like this at all. I don't really get any peaches and I don't think the brett flavors mix well with the porter flavors.

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a New Belgium Globe
2010 vintage

A: This one pours a two finger tan head on top of a rich, dark body. Good lacing on the sides with a nice head retention

S: Lots going on. Citrus, funk, a little chocolate, zest, cherries?

T: Very bretty/funky. The peach comes through quite well. Is it wrong of me to wish for more chocolate on this one? I didn't have it fresh so I can't speak to it's changes in character. Further through there is some orange and a slightly chocolate-creamy finish

M: This was a strength. Great creamy feel with just the right carbonation.

O: I wasn't sure what to expect. There is a lot that went into this beer: 45% ale with peaches added
19% ale aged in oak
36% ale aged in oak with peaches
And a lot of that character comes through. Would've enjoyed more chocolate flavors to complement the peach but overall very enjoyable.

Avant Peche Imperial Porter from Odell Brewing Company