2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Avant Peche Imperial Porter - Odell Brewing Company

Avant Peche Imperial PorterAvant Peche Imperial Porter

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  9.50% ABV

45% Ale with Peaches added
19% Ale Aged in Oak Barrels
36% Ale Aged in Oak Barrels with Peaches.

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 12-30-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avant Peche Imperial Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 112 | Reviews: 77 | Show All Ratings:
bbeane

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

A- Poured into an oversized snifter... Starts with a decent light brown head that disappears leaving behind a fair amount of lacing. beer is black in color with no light shining through

S- Very peachy... some hints of roasted malts, but mostly peaches, slightly sour

T- The peach really dominates the flavor from start to finish. Just get some notes of roasted malts and coffee in between the peach flavor

M- Full body with light carbonation

O- I thought this sounded really interesting and kind of had high hopes for it going in... ends up it tastes pretty much how it should have, and I didn't really care for it. I don't think the peach flavor meshed with the typical stout flavors

CHEERS!!

07-04-2011 04:59:14 | More by bbeane
holden303

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from bottle into tulip.

A: Pours a dark brown leaning more towards black with 3 fingers of large bubbled tan head similar to root beer that dissipates sporadically until there is just a lace around the rim.

S: Lots of peaches in the nose on this one, very fruity, I'm having trouble picking up any other flavors as the peach on this on is so strong.

T: Peach in the front and then the traditional porter characteristics, malt, little chocolate, touch of smoke, but then finishes strong again with the peaches.

M: Lots of natural carbonation noticed on the initial pour but the mouthfeel is nice and definitely not thin.

O: This is a very interesting beer. For the style (Imperial Porter) I don't think it rates well just because the fruit is so prominent but if you're looking for a peach porter this is probably the best beer out there. Regardless it's something worthy of trying, I'm going to cellar one and see if the peach dies down a bit, it's just a tad too strong for my liking right now.

05-29-2011 04:29:00 | More by holden303
browna71

4.1/5  rDev +7%

A-Pours straight black, with two fingers of a dark tan, pancake batter head with good retention
S- Very interesting, a unique mix of tart fruit and oak, very pleasant
T- Tart fruits not as prominent as is on the nose, oak shines through against a smooth, pleasant chocolate malt body
M- smooth, heavier mouthfeel, though not too overwhelming. Appropriate level of carbonation
O- Great beer, another wonderful offering from Odells. The peach and oak are a welcome twist to the style.

05-23-2011 01:32:20 | More by browna71
illidurit

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle shared at the Santa Cruz tasting in March. Pours dark brown with a decent cap of tan suds. Aroma bursts with canned peach syrup followed by lesser notes of roasted malt, dark bread, and alcohol. Flavor really disappoints in terms of peachiness. I don't get hardly any fruitiness. There's a touch of acidity that could be fruit-related but it could also just be the roasted malt. Pretty basic porter flavor otherwise.

05-16-2011 21:46:26 | More by illidurit
zhanson88

2.95/5  rDev -23%

Appearance: Avant Peche appears dark brown in the glass, but doesn't come too close to pitch black. Dark ruby hints around edges. 2.5 fingers of light tan head forms that has great lacing and retention.

Smell: Lots of peachy and woody scents in this, as well as light vanilla. Underneath that, light roast and char. More fruit than classic porter roast for sure, which is interesting.

Taste: Light roast and char form the base. Then comes lots of peach, vanilla, and oak flavors. The malts are really left behind. I was hoping for lots of roast with hints of peach and oak barrel, but it's really the opposite that's true. The woody and fruity qualities remind me of a sour ale where the brewer forgot the Brett and added some darker malts. It's not bad by any means but still, it's not doing too much for me.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Body is between light and medium with a lot of carbonation. Not nearly as thick and creamy as I'd like. Overall, it's an interesting take on an imperial porter, but not something I'm a huge fan of. Interesting to try, but not to have again.

05-10-2011 03:58:44 | More by zhanson88
feloniousmonk

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Avant Peche Imperial Porter, 45% Ale with peaches added, 19% ale aged in oak barrels, 36/% ale aged in oak barrels with peaches, alc. by vol. 9.5%, 750 ml bottle.

"Like many avant garde artists before us, we wanted to push the boundaries of mainstream style by challenging traditional brewing techniques and ingredients. We aged a classic imperial porter with Colorado peaches and wild yeasts. The blend marries a bold roasted chocolate malt flavor with a subtle peach essence, and the wild yeasts create slightly tart complexities. Nonconforming and intriguing, Avant Peche entertains the palate, and inspires creative drinking."

Deep, dark brown, slim crimson highlights, small creamy tan head.

Bewitching blend of chocolate and fruit in the nose. Why peach? Why not! I like how these guys think. Along with the sweet of the fruit, there's the sour of the yeast. A noseful, for sure.

Taste: a delicious mess in the mouth. Roasted malt and cocoa flavors meets the juicy stone fruit, and the wildness within. Tartness remains pleasing and matches well with the peach, something I'd tend to doubt before going in.

Peach porter? That's new, of course. Barrel-aged, wild yeast peach porters… well, off we go into the wild black & peach yonder with this one.

I think I'm going back for more of this, it's really tasty, and terrifically uncommon.

05-09-2011 05:25:35 | More by feloniousmonk
younger35

3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

I loves me a good fruited beer and a Imperial Porter with peaches and partially barrel aged. It’s either going to be hit or miss I suppose. Drank from my Surlyfest mug.

Appearance- Pours fairly over carbonated with a huge three plus finger light tan head. The body is dark brown with hues of ruby red around the edges. A terrific cap and collar and loads of lacing is left behind.
Smell- Interesting smell. Starts with an ever so light tartness that seems slightly odd considering the look of the beer. There’s a bit of fruit in the nose but I couldn’t necessarily pick it out as peach. Touches of chocolate and coffee hide in the background as well. Slightly toasted from the malt as the beer is oddly sweet and sour smelling.
Taste- Like the nose the beer starts fairly tart with that onset taste of souring. The peach is pretty light and I wish it was amped up a bit. The maltiness is fairly soft in contrast to the tart with a bit of milk chocolate. As the beer warms the roast does seem to really linger and an almost French roast like char shows. It’s probably still too young to be drinking as I think the sourness will probably kick this up a bit. Plenty of chocolate in the finish as it lingers and lingers. I get just a touch of barrel and a kiss of caramel in the aftertaste as well.
Mouthfeel- Nice carbonated bite that adds a really lush soft feel. It’s fairly full bodied and has a nice feel.
Drinkability- Overall not too shabby, interesting to say the least. I wish the peach was a little more pronounced but I feel like that might come in with time. As the sour increases I really think it’ll help the beer out a bit. I enjoyed it though.

05-07-2011 02:14:23 | More by younger35
mdcrouser

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Living up to the name imperial porter, it's as dark brown as you'd imagine. Chalky brown head is steady, but leaves little lacing.

Big malts, fruity sweetness and the slightest hint of astingency meet the nose.

Tart and fruity, with obvious hints of peach lying just out front of everything else - actually reminds of something New Glarus might do - followed by a punch of non-descript malt and even sour that quickly leaves the tongue, wiping it clean of any lingering remannts.

Pops of subtle carbonation release the fruity sweetness in the mouth, leaving a great deal of creaminess and just a bit of stickiness behind.

Incredibly unique - nothing I can even begin to compare it to. A good experiment and worth the exeperience, but not something I'd not likely purchase again.

05-06-2011 02:08:21 | More by mdcrouser
xnicknj

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

750mL bottle poured into snifter glass - thanks to biglobo

Pours a deep almost murky brownish color with some orangey hues. A tanned head with a nice filmy layer of retention, some spotty lacing as well.

Very diverse nose with dark fruits, peaches, roasted malts with caramel sweetness. Some hints of bretty funk as well.

A bit of fruit up front at first, followed by richer sweetness. Some earthy woodiness, caramel and roasted malts. Peaches with raisin and dates. Slight boozy warmth towards the finish with some more sweetness.

Fuller medium body, decent carbonation, chewy and sticky. Drinks pretty well, definitely interesting flavors but I think it worked nicely. The booze was a bit warm but this was still fairly fresh.

04-17-2011 05:08:04 | More by xnicknj
ThePorterSorter

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

I had to trade pretty hard to get this beer shipped to me in NY. I have long awaited this evening. Thanks again to Evanlarkin for the tremendous trade.

Appearance:
The bottle looks great, thick dark glass with a textured/classy label. I also like beers that sport their brewery on the cork.
Black brew that pours a tight knit, fluffy, tan head. So much of a head I have to wait a few minutes for it to settle. There is ample lacing down the glass and I am already excited to indulge.

Smell:
Slightly roasty, hoppy, coffee/milk chocolate richness. All that I want in a porter so far, there is also a very subtle sourness, most likely from the peaches used in brewing. Definitely not your standard porter, and with such uncharacteristic ingredients as peaches, it makes sense to have an uncharacteristically high abv.

Taste:
Wow, heavenly beer. I am getting explosive maltiness with a dry, sour finish. It has both a desirable start and finish, startlingly delicious beer. The sourness isn't overpowering, it allows for some of the malt to coat your palate.
As for the peaches, they are not completely obvious. This remains a classy beverage and is pleasing to most beer drinkers. You can tell that there is fruit in the beer if you've had experience with infused beverages similar to this, but otherwise you may not even notice.

Mouthfeel:
The mouthfeel for this beer is its most important aspect. I am always looking for a beer that can produce initial strength with in-your-face malt and alcohol followed by a dry finish that has you wanting more. This beer does it for me, there is also a light bitterness you adds to balancing the beer's inherent porter sweetness.

Overall:
This beer was incredibly difficult to get my hands on. The brewery only distributes to a handful of states, NY isn't one of them and may never be one. Also the price tag paid for it, approximately $14, is steep for a 750mL bottle. I have paid less for beers that make me just as satisfied. However, there is no disputing that this beer is quite exceptional and deserving of a review that does it justice. Worth trying, but I may not go through the hassle of getting another.

Cheers.

04-16-2011 05:58:45 | More by ThePorterSorter
jowilant

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Serving: 750 ML Belgian bottle

A - Beautiful dark, roasty-looking appearance; makes you think of malts and porters for sure.

S - Peachy smell; this is where the confusions starts for me; the appearance makes you expect something malty/roasty; however, the smell is peachy and sour; smells like a sour brown with some peachy overtones

T - For me, this is where the confusion continues. Once again I was looking for some sort of malty/roasty overtones due to the appearance. However, the taste immediately reminds me of a sour. Could be the age, but I do not think that this is more than 6 months of age.

M - The carbonation seems to match more of a cross between a sour and an ale. While it says on the bottle that this is a mix of an 1. ale with peaches, an 2. ale aged in oak barrels, and an 3. ale aged in oak barrels with peaches - the name Imperial Porter creates different expectations for me.

O - While I was confused as I sipped this beer, I really enjoyed it's complexities. I have not tasted a beer like this before. It related to me aspects of a fruity/peachy beer, a sour ale, a dark porter with even a dark head, and even some lime characteristics (probably from the sourness).

04-05-2011 00:33:22 | More by jowilant
amcmaho1

New Mexico

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Reviewing from notes: Consumed 4/1/11
Opened at a small get-together, and had a lot of kinda' beer people scratching their heads, asking why someone would like sourness in a beer...

Appearance: Dark brown-black body. Pours with a big frothy head which dissipates quickly, and leaves no real lacing.

Smell: When first opened, before the beer could warm up, the funk on the nose was marginal and masked more by the astringency of the alcohol. I think seeing peach on the bottle makes me think theres peach somewhere in the nose though it's subdued, along with the classic characteristics of a porter. There is atypical sourness on the nose, but it definitely comes through as the beer warms, as well as a little oak.

Taste: There is some tartness and funk, though not necessarily sour, but lingering with vinous and fruity notes. At the end of the taste, the alcohol makes itself known with some heat. There is also some chocolate and roasted character on the foretaste, despite its absence in the nose. As it has warmed, there seems to be more defined tartness and acidity.

Mouthfeel: Kind of thin feeling, which i suppose is expected for the inclusion of wild yeasts. Nicely enough though, it didn't completely dry my mouth out, or kill my palette entirely. Pretty easy drinker despite the high abv.

Overall: I definitely feel as though i had high expectations for this beer. Upon seeing Odell's release for this, and upon finally finding it, i was certainly looking to be blown away. I'm still not sure how i feel about a sour imperial porter, well not even a sour really, but a funky imperial porter. It was certainly interesting, though i could have enjoyed a lot more peach, and more actual sourness (though they only used brett). So my thought is that maybe they re-approach this idea, but with a lower gravity porter and a more sour, peach focused barrel experience (brett, lots more peaches, lacto, and pedio). I'd love to put one of these away to see how they age, and see how the brett character changes with time.

04-02-2011 16:06:42 | More by amcmaho1
EmmaLo

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured 2 fingers of light tan head, which retained well and was easily revived with a quick swirl. Color was black.

S. Sour, roasted malt and chocolate aroma. I get some of the oak barrel, but not very much peach at all. Hints of a sour beer.

T. The flavor of this beer is fantastic - well balanced between sweet, sou, malty, and bitterness. The porter and sour are a surprising combination, and really work together. I get a lot of chocolate, sour, and oak notes, but almost no peach!

Overall: pretty unique! I really wanted some more peach flavor, but the other tastes made up for it!

04-02-2011 02:02:57 | More by EmmaLo
GuruDel

2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

Thanks to FosterJM for sharing this
Bottle poured into Bruery Tulip

A: A chestnut brown with a nice finger of head from a light pour

S: Nothing in the way of peaches, slight bit of funk and basic porter smells.

T: again no peaches, not sure what is going on here based on other reviews, but didnt get much outside of a funky porter.

M: fine for the style, smooth, fizzy and easy drinking

O: Kinda dissapointed on this one, maybe my expectations were too high, but I got no peach out of this beer.

03-31-2011 15:21:47 | More by GuruDel
FosterJM

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

352nd review on BA
bottle to tulip
750 ML

Thanks JeepCop for this one.

Split with GuruDel.

App- This was a regular porter colored brown with a nice one finger head. Very little cling or retention to it.

Smell- It was okay, I was really hoping for a knockout peach smell. Instead I got a little yeastiness with some faint chocolate and some decent malts.

Taste- As I stated above I wanted a knockout punch. I didn't get it. It was a nice beer with some good flavors, just the profile went a different direction than I thought it would. The peche was almost non existant and replaced with the funk yeast which gave it a nice taste. I liked the oaky flavor that was imparted on this one though.

Mouth- It was a bit thin to me. Bordering on a light body with a nice medium carbonation level. The chocolate was mostly what I got as an after taste.

Drink- I am glad I got to try it but was not blown away. I probably won't come back to this one. Flavor was a bit let down and didn't wow me as I was expecting. Still good over all.

03-31-2011 15:20:49 | More by FosterJM
mwilbur

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into tulip.
A: Pours a beautiful silky dark brown with extremely fine but high carbonation producing a big 3 inch foamy tan head. Good retention and nice sticky lacing.
S: Piney hops, peach, chocolate malt, and astringent.
T: Soft peach quickly followed by chocolate malt and oak. Piney hops are folded in there too. Faint porter base. Fairly mild alcohol note.
M: Medium body. Prickly effervesence from the super-fine carbonation. Dry with mild alcohol burn to finish.
D: A very interesting brew...and a good one. Glad I tried this. Good amount of complexity, but not too much that it hinders enjoyability. I would agree with the previous review that it's nice to have an aged beer sans bourbon or vanilla for a change.

03-30-2011 03:36:58 | More by mwilbur
zeff80

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

A - Poured out an opaque, jet-black color with a long-lasting, three finger head of tan, bubbly foam. It left a good deal of sticky patches of lace on the glass.

S - Peaches are the first aroma to hit your nose following by burnt molasses and a floral/phenolic aroma.

T - Sweet and sour notes from the ripe peaches hit the tongue. There is a chocolate and roasted malt backbone with a mild oak flavor.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale that has a dry finish.

D - I love it. A aged beer that doesn't taste like bourbon or vanilla! It was so unique.

03-24-2011 01:18:54 | More by zeff80
kbutler1

3.6/5  rDev -6%

Bottle. Poured into a duvel tulip glass a dark brown color with the slightest collar of head. A little disappointed in the lack of carbonation. The peach is in the nose along with dark roast and slight chocolate notes. Sweet peach flavor up front that lingers throughout the entire drink. Porter flavors of dark roast mixed with sweetness. It's an interesting beer and of the likes I have not had before. Basically it's a porter mixed with a peach flavor, who'da thought to do that? Medium mouthfeel. No lacing with no carbonation.

03-23-2011 12:31:08 | More by kbutler1
bsp77

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Dark, murky brown with nice tan head and some decent lacing lines.

Smell: Tart apple and peach. Very light chocolaty roasted malts. Also smells akin to roses. Expected a little more from a Wild Ale / Porter hybrid.

Taste: Tart upfront, then deepens to include chocolate and sharp roasted notes. Very light peach and a hint of hops at the finish.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, slightly thin body, quite warming.

Overall: Strangely enough, it reminds me of an American hopped Imperial Stout (such as Darkness or Nightstalker) but more tart and peachy as opposed to hoppy and orange-like. I still get that same strange mix of roasted malts and sharp citrus. However, this is simply much milder in flavor than those Imperial Stouts, and also not nearly as good as Odell's other Wild Ales. Still enjoyed it and worth trying.

03-19-2011 22:35:21 | More by bsp77
homebrewhawk

Kansas

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a snifter. Bottle conditioned. Poured a dark brown with a couple of fingers of fine bubbled tan head. Plenty of carbonation. Fruity aroma with some chocolate malt. Peach flavor is right up front. Some chocolate, but not as much as I expected from the base beer. Medium bodied. Nice tart finish. Didn't get a lot of flavor from the barrel. Fairly drinkable. Alcohol wasn't really present. I enjoyed this beer, very unique.

03-19-2011 15:00:37 | More by homebrewhawk
csiewert

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

This beer pours a thick chocolate color with 2 fingers of brown head with plenty of lacing as you drink it. The aroma has notes of roasted barley and some citrus sweetness. The taste starts with some citrus and fruity sweetness an then becomes sour. The mouthfeel is slighty harsh with over carbonation. Overall an intriguing porter.

03-18-2011 21:47:30 | More by csiewert
TheDudeRules

2.15/5  rDev -43.9%

From a bottle to a brandy snifter.

I'll be upfront. I'm going to be hard on this beer. Myself and the general consensus is that this beer is not ready.

Pours a darkish brown with some head. Kinda the likes of dirty dishwater. I've had a few beers with Brett in it and I can't get past this. Tart Brett. Gross. Tastes of sour green oak. Ick city. Carbonation was medium.

I really wanted to put this down rather than pick it up. A disappointment. Even in a year or two I won't/will not bother.

03-14-2011 04:27:47 | More by TheDudeRules
siradmiralnelson

Iowa

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from 750ml bottle into Tulip

A. Poured 3 fingers of light tan head. Good retention. Thick lacing. Color is very dark brown almost black.

S. Sour and roasted malt. Has a bit or earthy funkiness to it. Dont really get a lot of peach smell. Don't really get all that much Porter smell either. Smells more like a sour, wild, or farmhouse ale than an Imperial Porter.

T. What the aroma lacks the flavor makes up. A very complex array of flavors going on. Roasted malt, a sour peach quality. Sweetness. Some light milk chocolate sweetness. Not very much bitterness. For me the contrast of the porter and sour works. Opens with the chocolatey porter flavor and finishes with a sour flavor. Almost tastes like a mix of 2 beers poured into one glass, which I guess in a way it is.

M. Full bodied. Really like the mouthfeel on this beer. Lingering sweet and sour flavor. Medium/full carbonation.

D. Drinkable. Unique beer for sure. The nose is pretty lackluster for me. The flavor is complex mix of 2 different styles of beer. I didn't really get very much Peach smell or taste. This is a beer that gives your tongue a workout. All in all a pretty unique experiment that worked for me personally.

03-13-2011 20:38:36 | More by siradmiralnelson
iLovehops23

2.42/5  rDev -36.8%

Nope. The only thing good about avant is that it has a cool concept. i like the idea of trying to take a thicker porter and bring a suddle colorado peach falvor to the table. It poors a ho-hum hue of light black, the nose was off a bit off balaced, mouth feel was and taste followed right behind. I was hopping a beer of this price and promise whould of been drinkable but it wasent for me. the first and last one of these guys ill ever have.

03-13-2011 18:20:33 | More by iLovehops23
hardy008

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Dark black with raisin highlights and a 2 finger tan head with very good retention and a nice sticky lace. The aroma has chocolate malt and peaches. There is also a small amount of oak, and some tartness.

The flavor profile is unusual. Chocolate malt, peaches, oak, yeast, and tartness are a unique combination. Pretty good, but also very unusual. I like all of the flavors, I am just not sure I would have paired them with each other. Both sweet and tart, or sour, at the same time.

Medium to full bodied, well carbonated, has a tart aftertaste, and finishes dry. Definitely a unique beer. I am glad I had a chance to try this, but am not sure if I would buy it again.

03-13-2011 03:31:02 | More by hardy008