Avant Peche Imperial Porter - Odell Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

American Porter |  9.50% ABV

45% Ale with Peaches added
19% Ale Aged in Oak Barrels
36% Ale Aged in Oak Barrels with Peaches.

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 12-30-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avant Peche Imperial Porter Alström Bros
younger35

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

I loves me a good fruited beer and a Imperial Porter with peaches and partially barrel aged. It’s either going to be hit or miss I suppose. Drank from my Surlyfest mug.

Appearance- Pours fairly over carbonated with a huge three plus finger light tan head. The body is dark brown with hues of ruby red around the edges. A terrific cap and collar and loads of lacing is left behind.
Smell- Interesting smell. Starts with an ever so light tartness that seems slightly odd considering the look of the beer. There’s a bit of fruit in the nose but I couldn’t necessarily pick it out as peach. Touches of chocolate and coffee hide in the background as well. Slightly toasted from the malt as the beer is oddly sweet and sour smelling.
Taste- Like the nose the beer starts fairly tart with that onset taste of souring. The peach is pretty light and I wish it was amped up a bit. The maltiness is fairly soft in contrast to the tart with a bit of milk chocolate. As the beer warms the roast does seem to really linger and an almost French roast like char shows. It’s probably still too young to be drinking as I think the sourness will probably kick this up a bit. Plenty of chocolate in the finish as it lingers and lingers. I get just a touch of barrel and a kiss of caramel in the aftertaste as well.
Mouthfeel- Nice carbonated bite that adds a really lush soft feel. It’s fairly full bodied and has a nice feel.
Drinkability- Overall not too shabby, interesting to say the least. I wish the peach was a little more pronounced but I feel like that might come in with time. As the sour increases I really think it’ll help the beer out a bit. I enjoyed it though.

05-07-2011 02:14:23 | More by younger35
mdcrouser

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Living up to the name imperial porter, it's as dark brown as you'd imagine. Chalky brown head is steady, but leaves little lacing.

Big malts, fruity sweetness and the slightest hint of astingency meet the nose.

Tart and fruity, with obvious hints of peach lying just out front of everything else - actually reminds of something New Glarus might do - followed by a punch of non-descript malt and even sour that quickly leaves the tongue, wiping it clean of any lingering remannts.

Pops of subtle carbonation release the fruity sweetness in the mouth, leaving a great deal of creaminess and just a bit of stickiness behind.

Incredibly unique - nothing I can even begin to compare it to. A good experiment and worth the exeperience, but not something I'd not likely purchase again.

05-06-2011 02:08:21 | More by mdcrouser
xnicknj

3.78/5  rDev -1%

750mL bottle poured into snifter glass - thanks to biglobo

Pours a deep almost murky brownish color with some orangey hues. A tanned head with a nice filmy layer of retention, some spotty lacing as well.

Very diverse nose with dark fruits, peaches, roasted malts with caramel sweetness. Some hints of bretty funk as well.

A bit of fruit up front at first, followed by richer sweetness. Some earthy woodiness, caramel and roasted malts. Peaches with raisin and dates. Slight boozy warmth towards the finish with some more sweetness.

Fuller medium body, decent carbonation, chewy and sticky. Drinks pretty well, definitely interesting flavors but I think it worked nicely. The booze was a bit warm but this was still fairly fresh.

04-17-2011 05:08:04 | More by xnicknj
ThePorterSorter

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

I had to trade pretty hard to get this beer shipped to me in NY. I have long awaited this evening. Thanks again to Evanlarkin for the tremendous trade.

Appearance:
The bottle looks great, thick dark glass with a textured/classy label. I also like beers that sport their brewery on the cork.
Black brew that pours a tight knit, fluffy, tan head. So much of a head I have to wait a few minutes for it to settle. There is ample lacing down the glass and I am already excited to indulge.

Smell:
Slightly roasty, hoppy, coffee/milk chocolate richness. All that I want in a porter so far, there is also a very subtle sourness, most likely from the peaches used in brewing. Definitely not your standard porter, and with such uncharacteristic ingredients as peaches, it makes sense to have an uncharacteristically high abv.

Taste:
Wow, heavenly beer. I am getting explosive maltiness with a dry, sour finish. It has both a desirable start and finish, startlingly delicious beer. The sourness isn't overpowering, it allows for some of the malt to coat your palate.
As for the peaches, they are not completely obvious. This remains a classy beverage and is pleasing to most beer drinkers. You can tell that there is fruit in the beer if you've had experience with infused beverages similar to this, but otherwise you may not even notice.

Mouthfeel:
The mouthfeel for this beer is its most important aspect. I am always looking for a beer that can produce initial strength with in-your-face malt and alcohol followed by a dry finish that has you wanting more. This beer does it for me, there is also a light bitterness you adds to balancing the beer's inherent porter sweetness.

Overall:
This beer was incredibly difficult to get my hands on. The brewery only distributes to a handful of states, NY isn't one of them and may never be one. Also the price tag paid for it, approximately $14, is steep for a 750mL bottle. I have paid less for beers that make me just as satisfied. However, there is no disputing that this beer is quite exceptional and deserving of a review that does it justice. Worth trying, but I may not go through the hassle of getting another.

Cheers.

04-16-2011 05:58:45 | More by ThePorterSorter
jowilant

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Serving: 750 ML Belgian bottle

A - Beautiful dark, roasty-looking appearance; makes you think of malts and porters for sure.

S - Peachy smell; this is where the confusions starts for me; the appearance makes you expect something malty/roasty; however, the smell is peachy and sour; smells like a sour brown with some peachy overtones

T - For me, this is where the confusion continues. Once again I was looking for some sort of malty/roasty overtones due to the appearance. However, the taste immediately reminds me of a sour. Could be the age, but I do not think that this is more than 6 months of age.

M - The carbonation seems to match more of a cross between a sour and an ale. While it says on the bottle that this is a mix of an 1. ale with peaches, an 2. ale aged in oak barrels, and an 3. ale aged in oak barrels with peaches - the name Imperial Porter creates different expectations for me.

O - While I was confused as I sipped this beer, I really enjoyed it's complexities. I have not tasted a beer like this before. It related to me aspects of a fruity/peachy beer, a sour ale, a dark porter with even a dark head, and even some lime characteristics (probably from the sourness).

04-05-2011 00:33:22 | More by jowilant
amcmaho1

New Mexico

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Reviewing from notes: Consumed 4/1/11
Opened at a small get-together, and had a lot of kinda' beer people scratching their heads, asking why someone would like sourness in a beer...

Appearance: Dark brown-black body. Pours with a big frothy head which dissipates quickly, and leaves no real lacing.

Smell: When first opened, before the beer could warm up, the funk on the nose was marginal and masked more by the astringency of the alcohol. I think seeing peach on the bottle makes me think theres peach somewhere in the nose though it's subdued, along with the classic characteristics of a porter. There is atypical sourness on the nose, but it definitely comes through as the beer warms, as well as a little oak.

Taste: There is some tartness and funk, though not necessarily sour, but lingering with vinous and fruity notes. At the end of the taste, the alcohol makes itself known with some heat. There is also some chocolate and roasted character on the foretaste, despite its absence in the nose. As it has warmed, there seems to be more defined tartness and acidity.

Mouthfeel: Kind of thin feeling, which i suppose is expected for the inclusion of wild yeasts. Nicely enough though, it didn't completely dry my mouth out, or kill my palette entirely. Pretty easy drinker despite the high abv.

Overall: I definitely feel as though i had high expectations for this beer. Upon seeing Odell's release for this, and upon finally finding it, i was certainly looking to be blown away. I'm still not sure how i feel about a sour imperial porter, well not even a sour really, but a funky imperial porter. It was certainly interesting, though i could have enjoyed a lot more peach, and more actual sourness (though they only used brett). So my thought is that maybe they re-approach this idea, but with a lower gravity porter and a more sour, peach focused barrel experience (brett, lots more peaches, lacto, and pedio). I'd love to put one of these away to see how they age, and see how the brett character changes with time.

04-02-2011 16:06:42 | More by amcmaho1
EmmaLo

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Poured 2 fingers of light tan head, which retained well and was easily revived with a quick swirl. Color was black.

S. Sour, roasted malt and chocolate aroma. I get some of the oak barrel, but not very much peach at all. Hints of a sour beer.

T. The flavor of this beer is fantastic - well balanced between sweet, sou, malty, and bitterness. The porter and sour are a surprising combination, and really work together. I get a lot of chocolate, sour, and oak notes, but almost no peach!

Overall: pretty unique! I really wanted some more peach flavor, but the other tastes made up for it!

04-02-2011 02:02:57 | More by EmmaLo
GuruDel

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

Thanks to FosterJM for sharing this
Bottle poured into Bruery Tulip

A: A chestnut brown with a nice finger of head from a light pour

S: Nothing in the way of peaches, slight bit of funk and basic porter smells.

T: again no peaches, not sure what is going on here based on other reviews, but didnt get much outside of a funky porter.

M: fine for the style, smooth, fizzy and easy drinking

O: Kinda dissapointed on this one, maybe my expectations were too high, but I got no peach out of this beer.

03-31-2011 15:21:47 | More by GuruDel
FosterJM

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%

352nd review on BA
bottle to tulip
750 ML

Thanks JeepCop for this one.

Split with GuruDel.

App- This was a regular porter colored brown with a nice one finger head. Very little cling or retention to it.

Smell- It was okay, I was really hoping for a knockout peach smell. Instead I got a little yeastiness with some faint chocolate and some decent malts.

Taste- As I stated above I wanted a knockout punch. I didn't get it. It was a nice beer with some good flavors, just the profile went a different direction than I thought it would. The peche was almost non existant and replaced with the funk yeast which gave it a nice taste. I liked the oaky flavor that was imparted on this one though.

Mouth- It was a bit thin to me. Bordering on a light body with a nice medium carbonation level. The chocolate was mostly what I got as an after taste.

Drink- I am glad I got to try it but was not blown away. I probably won't come back to this one. Flavor was a bit let down and didn't wow me as I was expecting. Still good over all.

03-31-2011 15:20:49 | More by FosterJM
mwilbur

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into tulip.
A: Pours a beautiful silky dark brown with extremely fine but high carbonation producing a big 3 inch foamy tan head. Good retention and nice sticky lacing.
S: Piney hops, peach, chocolate malt, and astringent.
T: Soft peach quickly followed by chocolate malt and oak. Piney hops are folded in there too. Faint porter base. Fairly mild alcohol note.
M: Medium body. Prickly effervesence from the super-fine carbonation. Dry with mild alcohol burn to finish.
D: A very interesting brew...and a good one. Glad I tried this. Good amount of complexity, but not too much that it hinders enjoyability. I would agree with the previous review that it's nice to have an aged beer sans bourbon or vanilla for a change.

03-30-2011 03:36:58 | More by mwilbur
zeff80

4.43/5  rDev +16%

A - Poured out an opaque, jet-black color with a long-lasting, three finger head of tan, bubbly foam. It left a good deal of sticky patches of lace on the glass.

S - Peaches are the first aroma to hit your nose following by burnt molasses and a floral/phenolic aroma.

T - Sweet and sour notes from the ripe peaches hit the tongue. There is a chocolate and roasted malt backbone with a mild oak flavor.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale that has a dry finish.

D - I love it. A aged beer that doesn't taste like bourbon or vanilla! It was so unique.

03-24-2011 01:18:54 | More by zeff80
kbutler1

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle. Poured into a duvel tulip glass a dark brown color with the slightest collar of head. A little disappointed in the lack of carbonation. The peach is in the nose along with dark roast and slight chocolate notes. Sweet peach flavor up front that lingers throughout the entire drink. Porter flavors of dark roast mixed with sweetness. It's an interesting beer and of the likes I have not had before. Basically it's a porter mixed with a peach flavor, who'da thought to do that? Medium mouthfeel. No lacing with no carbonation.

03-23-2011 12:31:08 | More by kbutler1
bsp77

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Dark, murky brown with nice tan head and some decent lacing lines.

Smell: Tart apple and peach. Very light chocolaty roasted malts. Also smells akin to roses. Expected a little more from a Wild Ale / Porter hybrid.

Taste: Tart upfront, then deepens to include chocolate and sharp roasted notes. Very light peach and a hint of hops at the finish.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, slightly thin body, quite warming.

Overall: Strangely enough, it reminds me of an American hopped Imperial Stout (such as Darkness or Nightstalker) but more tart and peachy as opposed to hoppy and orange-like. I still get that same strange mix of roasted malts and sharp citrus. However, this is simply much milder in flavor than those Imperial Stouts, and also not nearly as good as Odell's other Wild Ales. Still enjoyed it and worth trying.

03-19-2011 22:35:21 | More by bsp77
homebrewhawk

Kansas

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a snifter. Bottle conditioned. Poured a dark brown with a couple of fingers of fine bubbled tan head. Plenty of carbonation. Fruity aroma with some chocolate malt. Peach flavor is right up front. Some chocolate, but not as much as I expected from the base beer. Medium bodied. Nice tart finish. Didn't get a lot of flavor from the barrel. Fairly drinkable. Alcohol wasn't really present. I enjoyed this beer, very unique.

03-19-2011 15:00:37 | More by homebrewhawk
csiewert

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev -5%

This beer pours a thick chocolate color with 2 fingers of brown head with plenty of lacing as you drink it. The aroma has notes of roasted barley and some citrus sweetness. The taste starts with some citrus and fruity sweetness an then becomes sour. The mouthfeel is slighty harsh with over carbonation. Overall an intriguing porter.

03-18-2011 21:47:30 | More by csiewert
TheDudeRules

2.15/5  rDev -43.7%

From a bottle to a brandy snifter.

I'll be upfront. I'm going to be hard on this beer. Myself and the general consensus is that this beer is not ready.

Pours a darkish brown with some head. Kinda the likes of dirty dishwater. I've had a few beers with Brett in it and I can't get past this. Tart Brett. Gross. Tastes of sour green oak. Ick city. Carbonation was medium.

I really wanted to put this down rather than pick it up. A disappointment. Even in a year or two I won't/will not bother.

03-14-2011 04:27:47 | More by TheDudeRules
siradmiralnelson

Iowa

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from 750ml bottle into Tulip

A. Poured 3 fingers of light tan head. Good retention. Thick lacing. Color is very dark brown almost black.

S. Sour and roasted malt. Has a bit or earthy funkiness to it. Dont really get a lot of peach smell. Don't really get all that much Porter smell either. Smells more like a sour, wild, or farmhouse ale than an Imperial Porter.

T. What the aroma lacks the flavor makes up. A very complex array of flavors going on. Roasted malt, a sour peach quality. Sweetness. Some light milk chocolate sweetness. Not very much bitterness. For me the contrast of the porter and sour works. Opens with the chocolatey porter flavor and finishes with a sour flavor. Almost tastes like a mix of 2 beers poured into one glass, which I guess in a way it is.

M. Full bodied. Really like the mouthfeel on this beer. Lingering sweet and sour flavor. Medium/full carbonation.

D. Drinkable. Unique beer for sure. The nose is pretty lackluster for me. The flavor is complex mix of 2 different styles of beer. I didn't really get very much Peach smell or taste. This is a beer that gives your tongue a workout. All in all a pretty unique experiment that worked for me personally.

03-13-2011 20:38:36 | More by siradmiralnelson
iLovehops23

2.42/5  rDev -36.6%

Nope. The only thing good about avant is that it has a cool concept. i like the idea of trying to take a thicker porter and bring a suddle colorado peach falvor to the table. It poors a ho-hum hue of light black, the nose was off a bit off balaced, mouth feel was and taste followed right behind. I was hopping a beer of this price and promise whould of been drinkable but it wasent for me. the first and last one of these guys ill ever have.

03-13-2011 18:20:33 | More by iLovehops23
hardy008

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Dark black with raisin highlights and a 2 finger tan head with very good retention and a nice sticky lace. The aroma has chocolate malt and peaches. There is also a small amount of oak, and some tartness.

The flavor profile is unusual. Chocolate malt, peaches, oak, yeast, and tartness are a unique combination. Pretty good, but also very unusual. I like all of the flavors, I am just not sure I would have paired them with each other. Both sweet and tart, or sour, at the same time.

Medium to full bodied, well carbonated, has a tart aftertaste, and finishes dry. Definitely a unique beer. I am glad I had a chance to try this, but am not sure if I would buy it again.

03-13-2011 03:31:02 | More by hardy008
woosterbill

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Bomber into a Weyerbacher tulip. Thanks to Chris for opening this one.

A: Black with orange highlights; frothy, coarse tan finger of head. Intriguing.

S: The fruit is sharp and up front, backed up with chocolate, vanilla, and green, leafy hops. Clean and complex.

T: Lightly tart peach and citrus fruit, followed by some chocolate and roast. Not much oak. Ok.

M: Fairly light + sticky, and rather overcarbonated. Not great.

D: Decent for the strength, but not great.

Notes: As unique as this beer certainly was, it was also forgettable. While nothing was off about it, its wide array of flavors never managed to complement each other so as to deliver a total package of deliciousness. Not Odell's best offering, but probably not their worst, either.

Cheers!

03-08-2011 00:53:42 | More by woosterbill
crusian

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -32.5%

Bottle from awesome girlfriend from beertopia in Omaha.
Pours with a nice fluffy tan head that commandeers half my glass and doesn't give up ground for about 10 minutes... then leaves the glass looking like a spiderweb.
Not much on the nose though. That's a letdown, was hoping for something, anything. There is a slight tartness, but that's it.
Taste is also underwhelming, unfortunately. Leaves a gritty resin in my mouth that is also unpleasant. Slight tartness, and a wee bit of rotted peaches mixed in with some chocolate malt. Not a huge fan, but not terrible.

03-06-2011 02:42:07 | More by crusian
DaveAnderson

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

I really wanted to love this beer. I didn't, but it's solid.

A - Right off the bat, it delivers. Beautiful bottle. Pours thick and dark, with a luscious dark persistent head and strong lacing.

S - I catch a whiff of peaches the moment the cork pops. There's oak, roasted malt, some wild yeast funk maybe. And peaches, especially as it warms. Stones, skins, fruit. Smells like its description.

T - All of the usual porter tastes and more. I didn't really note hops on the nose, but they're here now. It's a little tart for my taste. And a lot more oak than I like. Now I know where those hop aromas went. Too much time in wood.

M - Exactly where I expect a porter from Odell to land.

D - I'm sad to say this was too tart and oaked for me to drink much of this. It ends up being a novelty at best.

03-01-2011 07:42:33 | More by DaveAnderson
SamN

Colorado

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Sampled from roommates bomber, into a snifter.

Rich and creamy mocha tan head. Black liquid, opaque. Gritty looking, like fine coffee grounds in there. Smell is initially peaches, some vauge wine-y sour fruits, peach dominates the nose, noticeable hops in the end. The hops and peaches do compliment well, nice selection of hops there, Odells. Not much porter aroma to pick up; maybe some slight coffee or oak notes in the background, but nothing that would suggest an "imperial porter". Too much peach, not enough roasted grain for balance. The peaches smell nice, but it's just too much for this beer. Initial taste is a tart blast of juicy peaches, nectarines and grapefruit. Again, the fruit aspect really makes an aggressive first impressions. After some purposeful warming in order to coax out more of the background porter flavors, the fruit does mellow out some (finally). Still, not much in the roasted malts department. More of the oak comes through, providing a slight smokiness. Doesn't finish too dry, just a little tart and sweet on the palette. Some mild alcohol warmth. Feels a too thin to be an "imperial porter' if I can harp on the style. Smooth, but too thin.

Overall, I didn't like the introduction of peaches to a porter. I just don't think the flavors match up well. Tart and slightly dry are not what I think of when it comes to an imperial porter. I'm open minded to new things, but some ideas just don't pan out. This was one of them.

02-24-2011 22:47:05 | More by SamN
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.7/5  rDev +23%

GLASS: Mug
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
Huge thanks to my buddy for bringing this one to me from a recent Colorado beer trip!

This pours up very dark. Almost black. It has some nice ruby highlights, which are exposed with backlighting. An easy pour produces a three-finger head of thick and creamy looking light brown colored foam. The retention is good. The lacing produces a couple of random thin strands, which are sticky enough but the lack of more lacing is kind of dis-heartening.

The smell of this is almost exactly, lots of peaches, including skins, floating in milk chocolate and dusted with cocoa powder, inside a fresh oak barrel.
Very interesting.

Oh, my. The peach comes out first, all smooth, soft and seductive. Then you get just enough of a hint of smoke to distract you while the cocoa powder comes on. This gives way to milk chocolate. Then comes the peach skin which brings with it a very nice hint of light tartness. Finally, you get just a hint of coffee, a bite of dark chocolate (around the 60% range) and a hint of drying oak presence.

This is almost full-bodied and has a medium level of natural carbonation. Those tiny little bubbles give this a wonderfully creamy, velvet-like sensation. Wonderful.

The 9.50%abv in this drinks like it's less than half of that. Flavorwise, it's extremely balanced. This is mighty drinkable, indeed.

02-24-2011 04:22:09 | More by coldmeat23
Jason

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

750ml brown caged and corked magnum.

Odell going out a limb with this one, a blend of three ales two of which have had some time in oak barrels. Bottle conditioned as well, this you can tell right away from the epic amount of stick lace this beer is showing on the glass. Dim brown color with some haze. Smells of a peach orchard during late harvest with hits of over-ripened peaches that have started to ferment, hint of musty earth and come chicory. Smoothness talks up the bottle conditioning with a deep smoothness. Slight tartness puckers the palate, mild roasted edge comes over the top and plants its porter flag on the taste buds. Oakiness pulls on the palate a bit after the tartness fades. Hint of peach tartness is more of a dry fruitiness. Hopping is modest. Mellow alcohol warmth for its size. Oak flavor grows with a faint vanilla and the roasted grain flavor is well complimented. Bone dry finish.

Very happy this beer is on the dry side, the porter character might be a bit tame but the blend does really well IMO. Controlled chaos? Each sip grows on me, if you second guessed picking up a bottle you should have gone with your first instinct.

02-22-2011 03:46:02 | More by Jason