2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Myrcenary Double IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Myrcenary Double IPAMyrcenary Double IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 02-18-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Myrcenary Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,728 | Reviews: 481 | Show All Ratings:
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.4/5  rDev -44.2%

A: Poured a deep sluggish yellowish-orange color with a nice white cap, 1/4 head and white bubbles

S: Old bread, pine and faded citrus. Pretty mute for this style.

T: Pine, light citrus and big thick, chewy caramel bread body that is completely unfitting. The finish is heavy, reluctantly sweet, lightly boozey with a an old faded hop presence.

M: Big body, heavy, sticky, sweet lowly carbonated

O: Not my cup of tea. I probably won't try this again but this was a good tick as it was an extra and on my GOTS list. Thanks Lobo.

09-15-2012 02:58:29 | More by barleywinefiend
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

2.48/5  rDev -42.3%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 1/6/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, Siege --

A: Setting sun golden. Unfiltered. A good pour yields a one finger white head and decent lacing.

S: Intense tree sap and pine resin. A bit unfresh, maybe? Getting in there a bit deeper, I get a touch of mango.

T: Extremely piney. Too much, in fact. It's prickly, unjuicy and not all that pleasant of a beverage. It's also not the freshest DIPA I've had (from what I can tell, anyway).

M: Meh. It's alright, and utterly unspectacular.

O: This reminded me a lot of Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious: overtly pine forward, with little complexity or drinkability. Not something I'd recommend, and one I'll be avoiding in the future.

01-24-2012 22:49:54 | More by Rhettroactive
jrallen34

2.83/5  rDev -34.2%

Thanks to Chris for this, drank from a Hill Farmstead glass... pours an ugly dark straw, watery head... resin oil nose with some tropical fruits, a bit of mango, car piss, too harsh for me... not a fan of the taste, lemon zest, skunky pine, sweet finish... not a fan

05-30-2011 14:33:29 | More by jrallen34
Lawl3ss

2.9/5  rDev -32.6%

Chilled 12 oz. bottle into a 33 cl snifter. Best by date 6.12.13.

Look- Pale amber with two and a half fingers of dense white suds that fall slowly to a tight cap, light haze. Ropes of sticky lace adorn the glass as it empties.

Smell- Sweet, mucho pineapple. Not much else makes it through; swirling brings out lemon candy and honeydew melon. Very, very sweet, but not entirely off-putting with the fruit accompaniment.

Taste- Much like the aroma, very sweet and hop-driven. Light treacle and pineapple, starfruit. Moderate bitterness on the back end with a touch of booze- rather than playing nicely the bitterness accentuates the booze and gives the overall impression/aftertaste of gin.

Mouthfeel- Medium-full, moderate to high carbonation. Chewy. Fairly boozy, warming and some harshness after the swallow.

Overall- Pretty middling for a DIPA; nothing I've not seen before and borderline overhopped, too boozy for my liking. If you're of the "More hops! Higher ABV!" mindset, you'll probably like this, but I'm not really a fan.

05-30-2013 03:22:31 | More by Lawl3ss
kojevergas

2.91/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

9.3% ABV. Picked up a 4 pack of this in Castle Rock. Expectations are above average; Odell is probably the best brewery in Colorado. Reviewed live. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art and branded pry-off cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed as a Double IPA because it identifies as such. Best before: 10/09/13C.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger wide head of supple white colour, nice thickness, decent frothiness, and great (~9+ minute) retention for the ABV. Uneven inconsistent lacing as the head recedes. Fluffy and appealing. A healthy head overall.

Body colour is a clear translucent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Decent vibrance.

Overall, it's within conventions for the style but is pretty standard fare. Not unique or special. No overt flaws are obvious.

Sm: Herbal hops are dank as hell, cut by a medicinal edge. Pale malts, some caramalt, honey. Grapefruit zest. Candi sugar lends some heavy handed sweetness. Perhaps some clean munich or vienna malts. Tropical fruit notes: tangerine, peach, mango, maybe passionfruit. A mint plant - but not mint itself; perhaps sage? I don't get any bright clean citrus; it's not a pleasant aroma per se. Some biscuit malt. Doesn't seem balanced; there's some obvious hop bitterness. Some floral hops.

Admittedly, the tropical fruit aspect just isn't to my personal tastes. Overall, the aroma lacks the evocative hop character I'd expect in a great beer of this style. I'm not a fan of the hop choices so far, but I'm hoping the flavour profile is a pleasant surprise. Aroma is strong overall.

T: Pale malt, biscuit malt, caramalt. Munich/Helles malts seem out of place here. Hm.

The hop profile is indistinct and lacks cohesion or good integration. I get muddled tropical fruit notes including tangerine, mango, passionfruit, and peach. Nowhere do I find the oily, nectary, and/or citrusy hop character I crave in a good Imperial IPA. Just tropical and floral hop notes. I'm not a fan of these hop choices and their effect on the flavour profile.

The hops aren't well married to the malty base. The balance is off, but luckily there's no overt naked hop bitterness. It's okay, but I'm not a huge fan of it. Lacks subtlety and (for the style) complexity. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. The candi sugar sweetness really doesn't fit well here at all.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nice thickness and carbonation. Decent presence on the palate. Full-bodied. Suits the flavour profile well in a general sense, but it certainly doesn't feel custom-tailored to it.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable in general, but I wouldn't get it again. There are far better Imperial IPAs on the market at this price point. As much as I love Odell, this doesn't earn its current place in the top 250. Hides its ABV decently.

C

07-07-2013 21:28:46 | More by kojevergas
CharlieMurphy

3.13/5  rDev -27.2%

A: Light golden Coors. Some white froth ala a sweeter, belgian style beer.

S: Really not that good. I get a significant amount of macro lager skunk piss on the end. Hops aren't very prominent either. Reminding me of a kolsch.

T: More hops for sure but still a little skunky must and still a bit like a kolsch. Definitely sweeter than the nose. Hops are neutral- neither piney or citrusy, only moderately floral.

M: Pleasant with adequate carbonation retained. The subtle sweetness works well.

O: Not my definition of an amazing, or even hit the spot refreshing, IPA. But atypical and better than average I suppose.

12-09-2011 03:41:30 | More by CharlieMurphy
caskstrength

3.13/5  rDev -27.2%

1 month old bottle of beer, from the beer cooler at the beer store, poured into a beer glass.

Clear light gold, no sediment. Appropriate carbonation, white head.

Dank, salty smells, but onion/garlic too. Not like GUBNA, but still obvious. (I don't know if they use summit hops or not). Some floral notes, pine more than citrus, but it's in the background.

vegetal, oniony on the taste. The pine/citrus is beaten down some, not up front. Alcohol obvious, not painfully so, but more than I'd like it. Turn this down to 8% abv and it'd be better. Appropriately bitter, but the oniony vibe takes it slightly into the astringent category.

Mouthfeel as expected, some clashing aspects from the flavors on the aftertaste.

I actually liked this more than it sounds, but it's not top tier. A decent hoppy beer with some odd flavors. Not a favorite, but drinkable on occasion.

01-06-2012 18:47:49 | More by caskstrength
Casey10

Maine

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%

I received this as a extra so I had no expectations. I read the reviews before tasting so i was excited to try.

Okay tried it this one is okay, maybe had a bad bottle but some of the flavors to me were off putting. I wanted to like it but this was not going to happen. I would be willing to try again just to see if I had gotten a bad bottle.

The flavor was okay slight head nice copper body. The taste and feel were almost copper like.

Again overall I thought this to be okay. Hopefully I just got a bad bottle.

04-20-2011 04:03:17 | More by Casey10
deapokid

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%

Big thanks to vasdef42 for a couple of bottles of this one.

Liquid possesses a translucent, golden color with a creamy white head and pencil-thin lacing. Carbonation and body are both a tad lifeless, almost resembling the filtered look of a light lager.

Scent is rather bitter, focusing on an earthy hop aroma. Malt, booze, caramel and citrus sweetness are in the background, but do provide some much needed balance.

Flavor opens with a hearty warmth and pronounced maltiness. This is all but overwhelmed by a massive, grassy hop blast, that comes equipped with a mild garlic flavor and staggering booze wallop. Despite the best efforts of the warm caramel and buttery malt, the dryness profoundly resonates, making for a confounding flavor profile.

Mouth opens smooth and sweet and closes with an earthy, extremely dry, bitterness. I'm very intrigued by this savory aspect, but I've gotta admit that the lingering notes are as pungent as a raw, red onion and rather unpleasant.

The paths this beer takes are new to me and the dryness seems to be more welcome in the muskiest farmhouse ale or red wine. Despite my reservations, it's still quite original and I'm obviously in the minority when it comes to my unfavorable opinion.

10-27-2011 01:48:29 | More by deapokid
vette2006c5r

3.18/5  rDev -26%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Myrcenary pours a hazy golden color with a small lacing head. There is a harsh sweet malty aroma, with hints of an oily hoppy kick. Taste is more balanced, harsher malty backbone, with bold hoppy flavors. The hoppy flavor is more oily then it is floral. While its well carbonated, there is a "flat" feel. Overall in my opinion its quite overrated, too sweet but too harsh.

09-22-2013 00:42:45 | More by vette2006c5r
tectactoe

3.19/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I forgot who sent me this one, my apologies, but big thanks to whomever it was. Myrcenary pours a golden-yellow color with some vibrant, tangerine-orange hints at the edges. Mild clarity with only a touch of haze in the middle. The foamy white head settles quickly and surprisingly leaves only a little bit of lacing on the glass.

The hop character is pretty overwhelming with the first whiff; it's incredibly pungent and oily and sticky with a mild floral character and some lighter citrus in the background. The abundance of hops seems matched largely with a huge malt character. It smells sweet, pungent, bitter, malty, and heavy all at once. Almost reminiscent of Deviant Dale's, a beer that I was unfortunately not a fan of.

I take a sip and I'm met with pungent, dank, and lightly piney hops up front. Jesus Christ, this stuff is huge. Sticky, heavy, and resinous as hell. Resinous and dank to an unnecessary degree, really. I'm not getting the "tropical fruit-like flavor" as described on the bottle itself, unless I count the mild citrus and orange peel that I'm getting in the finish.

Myrcenary is quite bitter, though the malts are pounding with incredible sticky sweetness, too. Pushing the caramel line but erring more so on the side of toasted bread, the malts are a bit too sweet for an IPA of any kind. This beer coats your entire mouth and palate, and you can feel it long after you swallow it. Sticky, resinous, thick, abrasive, pungent, dank, you name it.

Actually kind of surprised the rating is so high for this. I had a reasonably fresh bottle, so it wasn't old or anything. Perhaps I'm not that partial to the dank and resinous bomb. I enjoy those flavors, sure, but not quite in this capacity. And the malt, being so sweet, does more overwhelming harm than balancing good. Not an awful beer, but merely average at best. I don't want my DIPAs to be this slow of sippers.

06-21-2013 11:30:37 | More by tectactoe
Sean9689

3.2/5  rDev -25.6%

Thanks to Chris (spycow) for this one. Poured into Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a clear golden yellow color, off-white head, thin collar, large bubbles on top are left behind after the initial pour.

S - Lots of hoppy bitter notes, dank, lemon peel citrus.

T - Very hoppy, slight citrus, strong sweetness. The finish is harsh herbs or something medicinal, which I really don't enjoy at all. Up front, this beer isn't bad, but the finish harshness of the finish isn't so good.

M - A bit too light, light carbonation, oily finish.

O - Slightly above average. A little too watery for me on the mouth. The real killer here is the finish, just terrible even though the rest of the taste is good. No more for me, thanks. Can't recommend.

06-13-2011 17:36:48 | More by Sean9689
Miketwolf21

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%

I had hopes for this beer.
Smell- it smells very sweet. I get mostly grapefruit but also, mango, alcohol, pineapple, and pine. This smells a lot like hop slam, but with a slightly more pine.
Taste- Mirrors the smell. I think there is way too much residual sugar. This sweetness does prevent any lingering bitterness. the hops should be able to breath a little bit instead of being suffocated in syrup. Hop slam is even less sweet.
Mouthfeel- syrupy. Good carbonation, but the sweetness killed it.
I do not appreciate hop candy beers. Odell has not impressed me after trying their 90 shillings and Red ale also.

05-10-2011 23:23:34 | More by Miketwolf21
davey101

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Bets by date of 11/21/12A.

A - Dark golden clear body. Small one finger off white head. Decent lacing and retention.

S - Some grass and pine with a finish of mango and pineapple and a touch of caramel malt. Somewhat muted and plan.

T - More lively than the nose would suggest. Tropical fruit forward with sweet caramel malt. Finish is peachy with some alcohol warmth. Mouth feel is medium yet somewhat sticky.

O - An above average DIPA, but not one of my favorites. Somewhat boozy with a muted nose. Nice tropical fruit notes though.

09-09-2012 03:14:32 | More by davey101
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

12oz bottle into a snifter, 2/15/13 best before date. Hopefully that means it's fresh.

A: pours a slightly hazy golden color with a bit of amber. Three fingers of dense white head develop from the pour.

S: Tropical fruits galore - I get pineapple, mango, and a hint of grassiness and pine.

T: Not as intense as the aroma, I get a bit of caramel sweetness with some resiny and slightly tropical hops. I also get a bit of citrus.

M: Medium to thick with low carbonation.

O: The aroma on this beer includes a great hoppiness with a ton of tropical fruits. The flavor, though, seems a bit muddled.

12-20-2012 03:26:57 | More by coreyfmcdonald
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Upon first sniff I thought it was the same as the regular IPA. It smells more hoppy though, especially after it warms up. Taste is very hoppy, sort of spicy hoppiness, I think I like the regular IPA much better. The mouthfeel on this is too syrupy for my tastes. If you are looking for a hop bomb this might fit the bill but the syrup aspect tells me I won't be buying this again. This is better than the double IPA I had from Odell at Falling Rocks 10th anniversary party several years ago.

03-04-2011 04:57:42 | More by ArrogantB
Spider889

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

On tap at the brewery.

Very dense white head, heavy wall of lace. Excellent clarity.

Smells of fresh pine bough, pungent hop bitterness, and a bit oily, with hints of citrus, though nothing like I was expecting from the description/reviews.

The taste is very bitter, almost slightly medicinal at times, but soon enough citrus wades in with some pineapple and grapefruit flavors. These are missing a certain oomph though... like the hops were accidentally tossed into the boil 10 minutes early.

Soft carbonation with long, lingering bitterness.

Overall this is a good fix for the average hop head, but it was just simply not all that memorable.

10-05-2011 09:00:05 | More by Spider889
emmasdad

Colorado

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

Had this one on tap this afternoon at the Odell Brewery in Fort Collins. Pours a medium golden color with nary a head. Aromas of earthy hops, some pine and caramel. Light bodied and somewhat thin for the style, with flavors of earthy hops, pine and caramel malt.

03-01-2011 04:39:54 | More by emmasdad
ZAP

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

There are many great IPA's but none better than O'dell IPA in my opinion. I was hoping this would be a DIPA version and it is and it isn't.

It has some similar flavors...tropical fruits...bready/doughy maltiness..but really comes with a pretty heavy alcoholic bite. The finished product does not stack up as well in DIPA land as their regular IPA does in basic IPA land.

Aroma is of tropical fruits, garlic (there has to be Summit hops in this), and cookie dough...the taste begins with some juicy tropical fruits but then the splash (to be kind) of alcohol enters and just overrides the flavors too much...a bit garlicy on the finish as well...

Body is low side of full...did I mention it is boozy..

All in all this does not showcase the flavors I expected and hoped for nearly as much as the regular IPA does. Worth trying but does not compare to Hopslam or Dreadnaught

04-06-2011 04:21:38 | More by ZAP
yeahnatenelson

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance -- Pours a golden orange hue witha sudsy white head. Thin lacing, but catches light well: photogenic, I'd say.

Smell -- Hmm... raw sugars, tropical fruits, cat pee, and a sprig of mint. Certainly unique. I'm intrigued, though this smells a bit on the sweet side.

Taste -- Honey and crystal malt sweetness meets resin, menthol, and a double-dose of Simecoe-style cattiness. The tropical fruit notes are still present, though not nearly as up assertive as in the nose, which is strange since the malt sweetness really should've put these characteristics front and center. The finish is where things start getting weird. There's a distinct bitter herb/vegetal flavor. Lingering flavors of minty hops and cane juice.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied, perhaps a bit fuller, with very mild carbonation. Not keen, sorry.

Overall -- There has been a lot of ballyhoo about this beer, and after this bottle I don't think I'm a believer. While definitely good, I don't think it lives up to the accolades. That said, it's a solid, go-to regional DIPA.

06-08-2011 02:30:01 | More by yeahnatenelson
ehammond1

Bottle

Thanks for sharing Nathan!

Clear amber and orange with a thick nearly white head which leaves spiderweb lacing down the glass.

A very floral aroma, a tad bit buttery, and lots of caramel and toffee as well. There is some mild pine and citrus hop presence as well but I find this to be particularly malty.

Sweet toffee and caramel, some alcohol, pine, and floral notes round out this DIPA. It's far more malt-forward than I anticipated, unfortunately.

The mouthfeel is medium with a high level of carbonation, though a touch sharp and prickly with stinging alcohol.

A decent, malt-forward DIPA, but not one that I have any plans to revisit. That being said, this may have been an old bottle.

09-08-2011 19:38:53 | More by ehammond1
foss69lh

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

While decent, I can't say I found this to be an exceptional IPA, on par with top quality IPA's such as Le Cumbre Elevated or Avery's Dugana. Both the taste and mouthfeel were unmemorable. However, a decent stand-in if nothing better is available, with no objectionable traits; balanced if a bit bland.

09-28-2012 16:37:54 | More by foss69lh
TheDudeRules

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle to a snifter.

Very light in color. A pale ale even. Plenty of hype surrounding this beer. Citrus hops comes through on the nose. I get a very peculiar freshly cut grass smell. As I let it warm faint rubbing alcohol is present. Not that off putting but who really wants that in their nose? Taste wise is ho hum. You get the citrus and hops. It isn't awesome by any stretch. The cut grass is in the taste too. That I could do without. Plenty bubbly on the palate.

It may sound like I am bashing. This is actually a descent beer. Of it's class, cripes no. Far better choices out there. It exceeds for the brewer. The Odells regular lineup needs a punch in the arm. It's a step above of BMC in my opinion. I appreciate their attempts at the one off stuff. If your in a market where there is no heavy hitters give this beer a shot.

*edit* I had this again tonight. I stand strong in my review. Incredibly average for the style. Sub par poop. I would never buy this again.

03-25-2011 06:09:54 | More by TheDudeRules
WGO

United Kingdom (England)

3.56/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Deep bronze colour. Great looking head to begin with quickly dissipates to a soap sud consistency.
Citrus hoppy aroma jumps out at me from quite a distance. On closer inspection get biscuit and toffee perhaps.
Mouuthfeel is very astringent. Got the great complexity in flavours of other American IPAs I have tried but a bit too rich for me at the moment. Maybe need to revisit this beer in the future when I can do it more justice.

09-03-2013 23:16:54 | More by WGO
AndrewBinder

Missouri

3.56/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours kind of hazy orange with a decently creamy head. Smells summer-ish for an IPA. Sort of floral. Really heavy bitterness but a good balance with hops. I love super hoppy stuff so for a double IPA I'd like to taste more hoppiness, but an extremely consistent flavor from one of my favorite breweries

01-21-2014 03:01:13 | More by AndrewBinder