Myrcenary Double IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Myrcenary Double IPAMyrcenary Double IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 02-18-2011

Named for Myrcene, a component of essential oils in the hop flower, Myrcenary Double IPA is our tribute to those who revere the illustrious hop, and their unyielding exploit to craft hop forward beers. Brewed with a blend of hops containing the highest levels of Myrcene, this double IPA prevails with a tropical fruit-like flavor, a pungent floral aroma, and a clean getaway.

70 IBUs
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Myrcenary Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 551 | Hads: 2,655
2.46/5  rDev -42.3%

A: Poured a deep sluggish yellowish-orange color with a nice white cap, 1/4 head and white bubbles

S: Old bread, pine and faded citrus. Pretty mute for this style.

T: Pine, light citrus and big thick, chewy caramel bread body that is completely unfitting. The finish is heavy, reluctantly sweet, lightly boozey with a an old faded hop presence.

M: Big body, heavy, sticky, sweet lowly carbonated

O: Not my cup of tea. I probably won't try this again but this was a good tick as it was an extra and on my GOTS list. Thanks Lobo.

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Minimal to no hop aroma. Not sure the age on the bottle, so hops could be faded. It tastes off to me, very bad initial taste. Drain pour and would not recommend.

2.53/5  rDev -40.6%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 1/6/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, Siege --

A: Setting sun golden. Unfiltered. A good pour yields a one finger white head and decent lacing.

S: Intense tree sap and pine resin. A bit unfresh, maybe? Getting in there a bit deeper, I get a touch of mango.

T: Extremely piney. Too much, in fact. It's prickly, unjuicy and not all that pleasant of a beverage. It's also not the freshest DIPA I've had (from what I can tell, anyway).

M: Meh. It's alright, and utterly unspectacular.

O: This reminded me a lot of Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious: overtly pine forward, with little complexity or drinkability. Not something I'd recommend, and one I'll be avoiding in the future.

2.85/5  rDev -33.1%

Thanks to Chris for this, drank from a Hill Farmstead glass... pours an ugly dark straw, watery head... resin oil nose with some tropical fruits, a bit of mango, car piss, too harsh for me... not a fan of the taste, lemon zest, skunky pine, sweet finish... not a fan

2.91/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

9.3% ABV. Picked up a 4 pack of this in Castle Rock. Expectations are above average; Odell is probably the best brewery in Colorado. Reviewed live. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art and branded pry-off cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed as a Double IPA because it identifies as such. Best before: 10/09/13C.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger wide head of supple white colour, nice thickness, decent frothiness, and great (~9+ minute) retention for the ABV. Uneven inconsistent lacing as the head recedes. Fluffy and appealing. A healthy head overall.

Body colour is a clear translucent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Decent vibrance.

Overall, it's within conventions for the style but is pretty standard fare. Not unique or special. No overt flaws are obvious.

Sm: Herbal hops are dank as hell, cut by a medicinal edge. Pale malts, some caramalt, honey. Grapefruit zest. Candi sugar lends some heavy handed sweetness. Perhaps some clean munich or vienna malts. Tropical fruit notes: tangerine, peach, mango, maybe passionfruit. A mint plant - but not mint itself; perhaps sage? I don't get any bright clean citrus; it's not a pleasant aroma per se. Some biscuit malt. Doesn't seem balanced; there's some obvious hop bitterness. Some floral hops.

Admittedly, the tropical fruit aspect just isn't to my personal tastes. Overall, the aroma lacks the evocative hop character I'd expect in a great beer of this style. I'm not a fan of the hop choices so far, but I'm hoping the flavour profile is a pleasant surprise. Aroma is strong overall.

T: Pale malt, biscuit malt, caramalt. Munich/Helles malts seem out of place here. Hm.

The hop profile is indistinct and lacks cohesion or good integration. I get muddled tropical fruit notes including tangerine, mango, passionfruit, and peach. Nowhere do I find the oily, nectary, and/or citrusy hop character I crave in a good Imperial IPA. Just tropical and floral hop notes. I'm not a fan of these hop choices and their effect on the flavour profile.

The hops aren't well married to the malty base. The balance is off, but luckily there's no overt naked hop bitterness. It's okay, but I'm not a huge fan of it. Lacks subtlety and (for the style) complexity. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. The candi sugar sweetness really doesn't fit well here at all.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nice thickness and carbonation. Decent presence on the palate. Full-bodied. Suits the flavour profile well in a general sense, but it certainly doesn't feel custom-tailored to it.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable in general, but I wouldn't get it again. There are far better Imperial IPAs on the market at this price point. As much as I love Odell, this doesn't earn its current place in the top 250. Hides its ABV decently.

2.91/5  rDev -31.7%

Chilled 12 oz. bottle into a 33 cl snifter. Best by date 6.12.13.

Look- Pale amber with two and a half fingers of dense white suds that fall slowly to a tight cap, light haze. Ropes of sticky lace adorn the glass as it empties.

Smell- Sweet, mucho pineapple. Not much else makes it through; swirling brings out lemon candy and honeydew melon. Very, very sweet, but not entirely off-putting with the fruit accompaniment.

Taste- Much like the aroma, very sweet and hop-driven. Light treacle and pineapple, starfruit. Moderate bitterness on the back end with a touch of booze- rather than playing nicely the bitterness accentuates the booze and gives the overall impression/aftertaste of gin.

Mouthfeel- Medium-full, moderate to high carbonation. Chewy. Fairly boozy, warming and some harshness after the swallow.

Overall- Pretty middling for a DIPA; nothing I've not seen before and borderline overhopped, too boozy for my liking. If you're of the "More hops! Higher ABV!" mindset, you'll probably like this, but I'm not really a fan.

3.02/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is not what I like in a double IPA. Extremely sweet and caramel-y with a decent bitterness and some citrus flavours but the malt profile overpowers the hop profile.

3.11/5  rDev -27%

A: Light golden Coors. Some white froth ala a sweeter, belgian style beer.

S: Really not that good. I get a significant amount of macro lager skunk piss on the end. Hops aren't very prominent either. Reminding me of a kolsch.

T: More hops for sure but still a little skunky must and still a bit like a kolsch. Definitely sweeter than the nose. Hops are neutral- neither piney or citrusy, only moderately floral.

M: Pleasant with adequate carbonation retained. The subtle sweetness works well.

O: Not my definition of an amazing, or even hit the spot refreshing, IPA. But atypical and better than average I suppose.

3.14/5  rDev -26.3%

1 month old bottle of beer, from the beer cooler at the beer store, poured into a beer glass.

Clear light gold, no sediment. Appropriate carbonation, white head.

Dank, salty smells, but onion/garlic too. Not like GUBNA, but still obvious. (I don't know if they use summit hops or not). Some floral notes, pine more than citrus, but it's in the background.

vegetal, oniony on the taste. The pine/citrus is beaten down some, not up front. Alcohol obvious, not painfully so, but more than I'd like it. Turn this down to 8% abv and it'd be better. Appropriately bitter, but the oniony vibe takes it slightly into the astringent category.

Mouthfeel as expected, some clashing aspects from the flavors on the aftertaste.

I actually liked this more than it sounds, but it's not top tier. A decent hoppy beer with some odd flavors. Not a favorite, but drinkable on occasion.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

I received this as a extra so I had no expectations. I read the reviews before tasting so i was excited to try.

Okay tried it this one is okay, maybe had a bad bottle but some of the flavors to me were off putting. I wanted to like it but this was not going to happen. I would be willing to try again just to see if I had gotten a bad bottle.

The flavor was okay slight head nice copper body. The taste and feel were almost copper like.

Again overall I thought this to be okay. Hopefully I just got a bad bottle.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Myrcenary pours a hazy golden color with a small lacing head. There is a harsh sweet malty aroma, with hints of an oily hoppy kick. Taste is more balanced, harsher malty backbone, with bold hoppy flavors. The hoppy flavor is more oily then it is floral. While its well carbonated, there is a "flat" feel. Overall in my opinion its quite overrated, too sweet but too harsh.

3.19/5  rDev -25.1%

Big thanks to vasdef42 for a couple of bottles of this one.

Liquid possesses a translucent, golden color with a creamy white head and pencil-thin lacing. Carbonation and body are both a tad lifeless, almost resembling the filtered look of a light lager.

Scent is rather bitter, focusing on an earthy hop aroma. Malt, booze, caramel and citrus sweetness are in the background, but do provide some much needed balance.

Flavor opens with a hearty warmth and pronounced maltiness. This is all but overwhelmed by a massive, grassy hop blast, that comes equipped with a mild garlic flavor and staggering booze wallop. Despite the best efforts of the warm caramel and buttery malt, the dryness profoundly resonates, making for a confounding flavor profile.

Mouth opens smooth and sweet and closes with an earthy, extremely dry, bitterness. I'm very intrigued by this savory aspect, but I've gotta admit that the lingering notes are as pungent as a raw, red onion and rather unpleasant.

The paths this beer takes are new to me and the dryness seems to be more welcome in the muskiest farmhouse ale or red wine. Despite my reservations, it's still quite original and I'm obviously in the minority when it comes to my unfavorable opinion.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I forgot who sent me this one, my apologies, but big thanks to whomever it was. Myrcenary pours a golden-yellow color with some vibrant, tangerine-orange hints at the edges. Mild clarity with only a touch of haze in the middle. The foamy white head settles quickly and surprisingly leaves only a little bit of lacing on the glass.

The hop character is pretty overwhelming with the first whiff; it's incredibly pungent and oily and sticky with a mild floral character and some lighter citrus in the background. The abundance of hops seems matched largely with a huge malt character. It smells sweet, pungent, bitter, malty, and heavy all at once. Almost reminiscent of Deviant Dale's, a beer that I was unfortunately not a fan of.

I take a sip and I'm met with pungent, dank, and lightly piney hops up front. Jesus Christ, this stuff is huge. Sticky, heavy, and resinous as hell. Resinous and dank to an unnecessary degree, really. I'm not getting the "tropical fruit-like flavor" as described on the bottle itself, unless I count the mild citrus and orange peel that I'm getting in the finish.

Myrcenary is quite bitter, though the malts are pounding with incredible sticky sweetness, too. Pushing the caramel line but erring more so on the side of toasted bread, the malts are a bit too sweet for an IPA of any kind. This beer coats your entire mouth and palate, and you can feel it long after you swallow it. Sticky, resinous, thick, abrasive, pungent, dank, you name it.

Actually kind of surprised the rating is so high for this. I had a reasonably fresh bottle, so it wasn't old or anything. Perhaps I'm not that partial to the dank and resinous bomb. I enjoy those flavors, sure, but not quite in this capacity. And the malt, being so sweet, does more overwhelming harm than balancing good. Not an awful beer, but merely average at best. I don't want my DIPAs to be this slow of sippers.

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Thanks to Chris (spycow) for this one. Poured into Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a clear golden yellow color, off-white head, thin collar, large bubbles on top are left behind after the initial pour.

S - Lots of hoppy bitter notes, dank, lemon peel citrus.

T - Very hoppy, slight citrus, strong sweetness. The finish is harsh herbs or something medicinal, which I really don't enjoy at all. Up front, this beer isn't bad, but the finish harshness of the finish isn't so good.

M - A bit too light, light carbonation, oily finish.

O - Slightly above average. A little too watery for me on the mouth. The real killer here is the finish, just terrible even though the rest of the taste is good. No more for me, thanks. Can't recommend.

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had on draft at the Mellow Mushroom on Mill Avenue in Tempe. Never had anything by this brewer before so it was a complete shot in the dark. Not bad at all, but nothing that re-writes the book on amazing IPAs. Would order again, and would try more from Odell if given the opportunity.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

I had hopes for this beer.
Smell- it smells very sweet. I get mostly grapefruit but also, mango, alcohol, pineapple, and pine. This smells a lot like hop slam, but with a slightly more pine.
Taste- Mirrors the smell. I think there is way too much residual sugar. This sweetness does prevent any lingering bitterness. the hops should be able to breath a little bit instead of being suffocated in syrup. Hop slam is even less sweet.
Mouthfeel- syrupy. Good carbonation, but the sweetness killed it.
I do not appreciate hop candy beers. Odell has not impressed me after trying their 90 shillings and Red ale also.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Bets by date of 11/21/12A.

A - Dark golden clear body. Small one finger off white head. Decent lacing and retention.

S - Some grass and pine with a finish of mango and pineapple and a touch of caramel malt. Somewhat muted and plan.

T - More lively than the nose would suggest. Tropical fruit forward with sweet caramel malt. Finish is peachy with some alcohol warmth. Mouth feel is medium yet somewhat sticky.

O - An above average DIPA, but not one of my favorites. Somewhat boozy with a muted nose. Nice tropical fruit notes though.

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

Upon first sniff I thought it was the same as the regular IPA. It smells more hoppy though, especially after it warms up. Taste is very hoppy, sort of spicy hoppiness, I think I like the regular IPA much better. The mouthfeel on this is too syrupy for my tastes. If you are looking for a hop bomb this might fit the bill but the syrup aspect tells me I won't be buying this again. This is better than the double IPA I had from Odell at Falling Rocks 10th anniversary party several years ago.

3.49/5  rDev -18.1%

On tap at the brewery.

Very dense white head, heavy wall of lace. Excellent clarity.

Smells of fresh pine bough, pungent hop bitterness, and a bit oily, with hints of citrus, though nothing like I was expecting from the description/reviews.

The taste is very bitter, almost slightly medicinal at times, but soon enough citrus wades in with some pineapple and grapefruit flavors. These are missing a certain oomph though... like the hops were accidentally tossed into the boil 10 minutes early.

Soft carbonation with long, lingering bitterness.

Overall this is a good fix for the average hop head, but it was just simply not all that memorable.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours deep orange topped by white head. Aroma of citrus with vanilla bean, grass, mint, pine. Tastes of juicy citrus, vanilla bean, fresh cut grass, pine, light fruit, , booze, bitterness and mild grapefruit towards the finish. Heavy in body with medium carbonation. A thick, juicy IPA.

3.52/5  rDev -17.4%

12oz bottle into a snifter, 2/15/13 best before date. Hopefully that means it's fresh.

A: pours a slightly hazy golden color with a bit of amber. Three fingers of dense white head develop from the pour.

S: Tropical fruits galore - I get pineapple, mango, and a hint of grassiness and pine.

T: Not as intense as the aroma, I get a bit of caramel sweetness with some resiny and slightly tropical hops. I also get a bit of citrus.

M: Medium to thick with low carbonation.

O: The aroma on this beer includes a great hoppiness with a ton of tropical fruits. The flavor, though, seems a bit muddled.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for sharing Nathan!

Clear amber and orange with a thick nearly white head which leaves spiderweb lacing down the glass.

A very floral aroma, a tad bit buttery, and lots of caramel and toffee as well. There is some mild pine and citrus hop presence as well but I find this to be particularly malty.

Sweet toffee and caramel, some alcohol, pine, and floral notes round out this DIPA. It's far more malt-forward than I anticipated, unfortunately.

The mouthfeel is medium with a high level of carbonation, though a touch sharp and prickly with stinging alcohol.

A decent, malt-forward DIPA, but not one that I have any plans to revisit. That being said, this may have been an old bottle.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

While decent, I can't say I found this to be an exceptional IPA, on par with top quality IPA's such as Le Cumbre Elevated or Avery's Dugana. Both the taste and mouthfeel were unmemorable. However, a decent stand-in if nothing better is available, with no objectionable traits; balanced if a bit bland.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

There are many great IPA's but none better than O'dell IPA in my opinion. I was hoping this would be a DIPA version and it is and it isn't.

It has some similar flavors...tropical fruits...bready/doughy maltiness..but really comes with a pretty heavy alcoholic bite. The finished product does not stack up as well in DIPA land as their regular IPA does in basic IPA land.

Aroma is of tropical fruits, garlic (there has to be Summit hops in this), and cookie dough...the taste begins with some juicy tropical fruits but then the splash (to be kind) of alcohol enters and just overrides the flavors too much...a bit garlicy on the finish as well...

Body is low side of full...did I mention it is boozy..

All in all this does not showcase the flavors I expected and hoped for nearly as much as the regular IPA does. Worth trying but does not compare to Hopslam or Dreadnaught

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours kind of hazy orange with a decently creamy head. Smells summer-ish for an IPA. Sort of floral. Really heavy bitterness but a good balance with hops. I love super hoppy stuff so for a double IPA I'd like to taste more hoppiness, but an extremely consistent flavor from one of my favorite breweries

Myrcenary Double IPA from Odell Brewing Company