Myrcenary Double IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Myrcenary Double IPAMyrcenary Double IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 02-18-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,447 | Reviews: 525

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

poured from a 12 oz bottle into a large tulip glass... tonight, in my search for the perfect IPA, I am comparing this with New Belgium Rampant IPA and Ballast Point Sculpin IPA.

Compared to those two, I would rate Rampant the best overall, and Sculpin the lowest.

Myrcenary has some great fruit notes not found in the others: apricot?!? plums?!? it's different from most of the IPA's I have tasted, and different in a good way. The finish is slightly sweet, makes me want to open another bottle.

Bang for the buck: it's not as good a deal as New Belgium Rampant IPA, but it's pretty darn good. Definitely in my top 20, and maybe in my top 10, just cuz the fruit is so unique!

4.07/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I've heard so much about this brew, I'm excited to actually try it for myself. Hopefully it goes a little better than the last time I was excited to try a new beer.

The pour gets it off to a good start: Crisp clear and inviting. Golden body, like dehydrated piss (but meant in a good way), with a small creamy white head that sticks around until last call, leaving its indelible mark on the side of the glass as the liquid magically disappears.

Inviting aroma, albeit not particularly profound. Some round resinous residue clings to my nostrils, allowing passage of some smoothe caramel malt, some sweet fruits, a little citrus and a touch of pine. Dang, sweet hops you might say. ROUND.

We start out with that smoothe caramel which immediately gives way to the cascades of hoppy notes: tropical fruits layered with some floral herbal notes, tangerines and that good good coniferous character that evokes an homage to home.

The creamy/sweet caramel balances out the astringent citrus finish well enough that it is just clean, but reminds your tongue what you've been consuming, and what is about to be all up in its business again as soon as I lift it to my lips again.
This is very smoothe drinking for a... HOLY SHIT 9.3?!? OK, maybe that's hyperbole, but I would have guessed mid six just based on what's going on in my mouth (that came out wrong). But seriously: this is a very well crafted, well balanced beer from a brewery that I was largely unfamiliar with before moving to the midwest. Odell in general has been a GREAT discovery, and Myrcenary is no different. For an every day shelf DIPA, I'm very glad to be in their distro.

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a hazy golden color. A bit surprised by the color given the smell and taste.

S - Caramel malts followed by citrus and pine, herbs. Not incredibly complex on the smell.

T - Lots of orange followed by pine, lemongrass and some floral/herbal qualities. Finishes with some really great caramel malts to keep everything balanced. Just a bit of alcohol lingers, but nothing that I wouldn't expect at this level. I probably overuse the word "balance," but this is just really well done and the flavors are very enjoyable.

M - Moderate carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Good thickness. There's a slick, oily feel to this as well.

O - Over time I've really started to appreciate IPAs with malts that I feel balance the hops well and don't completely destroy your palette. This goes in as one of the top tier DIPAs out there.

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Myrcenary Double IPA from Odell Brewing Company