Myrcenary Double IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Myrcenary Double IPAMyrcenary Double IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 02-18-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Myrcenary Double IPA Alström Bros
jampics2

01-21-2013 14:58:39 | More by jampics2
CRJMellor

Arkansas

01-21-2013 01:53:44 | More by CRJMellor
TheCondor

Missouri

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer has been sitting in my beer cooler for a while, and I haven't known what to think of it. I don't like to look at beers on BA before I drink them, so as not to cloud my unbiased judgement of a beer when I drink it and later review it. I generally like to drink and review at the same time! Anyway, side poured from the bottle into my 2-137th INF REGT tulip glass what. Standard vigor

Appearance - Pours a beautiful orange color with a sweet one and a half finger, fluffy white head with ecellent retention and absolutely ridiculous lacing! The lacing stays with this beer throughout the entire drink, every sip being marked on the sides of the glass. Plenty of sediment can be seen inside the bottle and in the glass after the pour, pours real cloudy as well. Magnificient presentation.

Smell - Everything you would expect out a DIPA, but much more balanced than most of the examples I have had of the style. Orange peel, coriander, piney citrusy hops are strong, tropical and floral scents, everything that is wonderful about a hoppy beer.

Taste - Follows the nose very closely. Tropical fruits, floral notes, oranges and grapefruits all play into the hoppiness of this hop-forward beer. There is a malty, boozy backbone to the brew as well, but the fruits are certainly at the forefront of the taste. Hops are well done in that they are not too bitter or dry, as I have seen several times with the style.

Mouthfeel - Finishes clean and crisp, with a touch of fruits and bitterness from the hops. Really good, real nice finish

Overall - This is absolutely one of the best DIPA's, or any variation of the pale ale style, that I have ever drank. Outstanding craftsmanship, hats of to the O'Dell brewery, unbelieveable. This is one of the most highly recommended beers the Condor has ever reviewed, this beer really surprised me. Took me totally off guard with its' quality, and I'm not really a DIPA guy. I will buy this again, for sure.

01-21-2013 00:07:20 | More by TheCondor

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

01-19-2013 09:30:50 | More by sukwonee
DocJitsu

4.11/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy, classic golden color with a short, antique white head. Thin lacing appears in asymmetrical fashion. It has a malty nose with some orange and lemon citrus esters. Mouthfeel is very well-balanced. Full, a little oily, and crisp on the finish. Pretty malty flavor. Grapefruit emerges in the flavor, where it was absent in the bouquet. Some lemon on the finish. A little too malty for my taste, but still a very well-engineered brew.

01-16-2013 05:09:43 | More by DocJitsu

Missouri

01-06-2013 22:21:03 | More by deweese
Mgm54

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Review from memory and notes

Serving Type - 12oz bottle

Great beer! the coloring is just right for the taste a smell, a deeper color than your standard DIPA, with more of an amber look to it. Smell is perfect, matching the taste in a very interesting way. Big floral and hoppy smell up front, with slight hints of yeast. Taste is perfect, a lot of hops, but enterprisingly not very bitter. A great taste with enterprisingly mild bitterness. I've never encountered a beer quite like this, and I am glad I did. Truly a great beer. Should be a must try for everyone.

01-06-2013 03:30:46 | More by Mgm54
BeerWizard

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So let me start by saying that this stuff is really friggin' good, and you should try it if you like IPA's and DIPA's. I've been holding off buying it because it's always $11 or $12 for a 4-pack, but after tasting it, I would probably pay that in the future. However, I did find it for $10 tonight and that was the right price point for me to get me into it.

Poured from a bottle into a goblet, and was suprised to see some suspension it the ale, enough to obscure my finger on the other side of the glass. The liquid is a pretty butterscotch color and yielded a small head from the pour. Leaves sparse lacing down the glass as you drink it down.

Nose on it is real nice, pineapple and mango fruits, a little yeast and malt - you can tell it's going to be really hoppy. Not to boozy, though, which is amazing, considering the amount of juice that's in this thing. Tastes great, but not melt-your-face-off hoppy like I thought it might be. It has some nice fruit flavors up front, and really robust backing from the malt and booze; one of the things I really enjoy about double-IPA's. Just like the bottle says, really clean finish.

Overall, I really like this one, and like I said, I would get it again and would probably fork over the extra buck or two even though it's a 4-pack. I don't really think I could see straight if I drank more than four of these, anyway. Nice job OBC!

01-06-2013 01:32:19 | More by BeerWizard