Myrcenary Double IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Myrcenary Double IPAMyrcenary Double IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 02-18-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Myrcenary Double IPA Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

4.12/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy, classic golden color with a short, antique white head. Thin lacing appears in asymmetrical fashion. It has a malty nose with some orange and lemon citrus esters. Mouthfeel is very well-balanced. Full, a little oily, and crisp on the finish. Pretty malty flavor. Grapefruit emerges in the flavor, where it was absent in the bouquet. Some lemon on the finish. A little too malty for my taste, but still a very well-engineered brew.

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Review from memory and notes

Serving Type - 12oz bottle

Great beer! the coloring is just right for the taste a smell, a deeper color than your standard DIPA, with more of an amber look to it. Smell is perfect, matching the taste in a very interesting way. Big floral and hoppy smell up front, with slight hints of yeast. Taste is perfect, a lot of hops, but enterprisingly not very bitter. A great taste with enterprisingly mild bitterness. I've never encountered a beer quite like this, and I am glad I did. Truly a great beer. Should be a must try for everyone.

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So let me start by saying that this stuff is really friggin' good, and you should try it if you like IPA's and DIPA's. I've been holding off buying it because it's always $11 or $12 for a 4-pack, but after tasting it, I would probably pay that in the future. However, I did find it for $10 tonight and that was the right price point for me to get me into it.

Poured from a bottle into a goblet, and was suprised to see some suspension it the ale, enough to obscure my finger on the other side of the glass. The liquid is a pretty butterscotch color and yielded a small head from the pour. Leaves sparse lacing down the glass as you drink it down.

Nose on it is real nice, pineapple and mango fruits, a little yeast and malt - you can tell it's going to be really hoppy. Not to boozy, though, which is amazing, considering the amount of juice that's in this thing. Tastes great, but not melt-your-face-off hoppy like I thought it might be. It has some nice fruit flavors up front, and really robust backing from the malt and booze; one of the things I really enjoy about double-IPA's. Just like the bottle says, really clean finish.

Overall, I really like this one, and like I said, I would get it again and would probably fork over the extra buck or two even though it's a 4-pack. I don't really think I could see straight if I drank more than four of these, anyway. Nice job OBC!

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Pale, lemony golden color. Almost hazy enough to look unfiltered, maybe it is. Small tight head that is gone all too quickly. Big grassy and lemon citrus aroma. Lots of hop flavor. Caramel malt sweetness. Lingering bitterness. I cant get enough of the balance between the hop flavor and the sticky malt I just love it when done right. Very solid mouthfeel. Great malty backbone just pulls this whole thing together. A great beer for my money, wish it could be a full time experience.

Myrcenary Double IPA from Odell Brewing Company