Myrcenary Double IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Myrcenary Double IPAMyrcenary Double IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 02-18-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Myrcenary Double IPA Alström Bros
tippebrewcrew2

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

A= Crystal clear, no haze at all. Beautiful golden orange honey. Great head retention.

S= Floral oranges and flowers. Slight pine

T= Suprising pine and citrus the developes into a medium to heavy bitter orange peel. Ripe mango with a crisp apple finish. Very long lingering bitter orange peel.

M= Medium carbonation with a full body.

Overall-
This beer is a delight to drink. It has been a long time since such a complex DIPA has graced my palate. I could enjoy this beer everyday I feel. Fresh is best!

06-21-2011 21:30:15 | More by tippebrewcrew2
ColdPoncho

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Been wanting to try this for a while. Thanks much phaleslu for this bottle.

dated 9/9/11

A - pours a clear golden copper body with a small white head which settles to a dense ring. Very pretty color.

S - You get some spice, some yeast, some tropical fruits, but mostly its the citrusy hops. a really great balance that doesnt really wreck your nose.

T - The hops bite a lot more on the tongue. pine resin, grapefruit, creamy floral and earthy notes, touch of sweet fruit on the sides. A very nice and complex set of flavors in great balance. I'm conflicted because I have considered Hopslam to set the bar, but this might be better...shoot.

M - Very smooth body, moderately viscous, fairly robust, a bit drying.

O (D) - a big beer, very delicious, very well balanced. Not a punch-you-in-the-tongue sort of IIPA, but it's very good. Glad to have another bottle in the fridge...not sure if I'll be able to bring myself to share it.

06-21-2011 16:43:16 | More by ColdPoncho
corby112

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Draft at the Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver, CO.

Pours a clear golden orange cor with a two finger soapy white head.  Good retention slowly fading into a lasting ring.  Glass is coated with rings, chunks and streaks of soapy lacing.

Sweet citrus hop aroma with dry, resinous earthy pine notes.  Bursting with tropical fruit and citrus.  Lots of mango, papaya, grapefruit and orange peel.  Pale grainy malt with biscuit and graham cracker.

Medium bodied but on the fuller end with a good balance of bitter dry earthy hops up front that are countered by sweet citrus/tropical fruit.   Lots of citrus fruit especially orange peel and grapefruit, mango, pinepalle and papaya.  Slight alcohol heat toward the finish.

06-21-2011 06:27:27 | More by corby112
Mebuzzard

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +3%

This is a really nice IPA x2. I've had it on tap before and the bottle didn't disappoint. I'll just throw in some new observations instead of stating the same stuff.

Seemed a bit darker pour than on tap, like a light orange a bit hazy. Aroma had more grapefruit and sweet bread. I thought the feel was 'thicker' and not as light as the tap version; and provided some syrupy-ness in the end feel. The hops don't disappoint at all, with more citrus than grass or pine. Grain bill is strong and provides substantial backbone.

06-19-2011 06:20:59 | More by Mebuzzard
suspect

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Snifter glass. Big thanks to my buddy Chris for bringing this home from the Mountain Brewers Festival.

A: Slightly hazy straw color with an orange tint. Aggressive pour leads to a small 3/4 finger head that fades fast to a ring around the edge and a pool of bubbles clinging together in the middle. Lacing is thick and consistent.

S: POW! Right in the kisser. Grapefruity hops and floral aromas are first and foremost and this ranks right up there with the nicest smelling beers I've ever had the privilege of sniffing. This, for me, at least in the nose, goes toe-to-toe with my favorite IIPA, Pliny the Elder. My oh my, if the taste follows the nose, I'm in for a real treat.

T: Damn...while I didn't get my hopes up for nothing, it is a touch less intense than the nose would suggest. HOWEVER, this is a delicious mix of citrus hops (some lemon, mostly grapefruit), dash of pine...the sweet malt is present, oh wait, there it goes - dashed by the hop bitterness. Alcohol totally hidden in the mix of hops, hops, hops, fruit, and okay some malty sweetness.

M: Good carbonation, sticky thick mouth coating leaves me craving more without needing to go back. This beer probably has the most enjoyable aftertaste I've had in some time.

O: Dee-freaking-licious. One of the best IIPA's I've had and one that I would enjoy having again and again. This is really a double-edged sword in that I am extremely glad I was able to try it but sad that I don't have direct access to it. This is one I would enjoy frequently but for now, I'll just enjoy the rest of this glass.

06-19-2011 03:59:25 | More by suspect
csiewert

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

This beer pours a slightly hazy golden color with a trace of white foamy head that dissipates fairly quick and doesn't leave much lacing. The aroma is fantastic... Lots of different hops and just a hint of malty sweetness. The taste starts sweet with caramel notes and then becomes hoppy bitter. The mouthfeel is slightly lacking, but finishes clean. Overall a pretty good double IPA.

06-19-2011 03:39:24 | More by csiewert
johnbjaeger

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Pours a muddy gold color. It's fine. Nothing terribly exciting, though.

S: Oh man. It smells like a combination of canned fruit cocktail and ethanol. That sounds terrible, but I really, really like it. This is probably going to be delicious.

T: Ah yes, candied fruits and turpentine, but in a good way. I really like this, but it is definitely lighter on the hops than I imagined it would be.

M: Spot on right. Very drinkable for a DIPA. I could polish off a sixer of these and then need an ambulance.

O: Solid. I liked this and would buy a lot more of it if I had access to it.

06-19-2011 01:13:18 | More by johnbjaeger
vader

Idaho

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

OH MY LORD! This beer literally kicked my tits in! Amazing smell that punches you in the face and leaves you wanting and needing more. Lots and lots of citrus and pine, lots of fruit. The flavor is much like the smell, in your face but instead of being 11 on the amp its just 10. the balance between the malt and hop bitterness is amazing, talk about well balanced for the 9% it has...the finish is so abrupt and dry that I couldn't put it down. This brew went a little too quick. Just watch out, Odell's did an amazing job hiding the alcohol in this one, you can literally go from a Sunday sit down taster to a tits out Friday night banger if your not careful. Honestly I was never a real fan of IPA's till this was dropped in Boise, like I said I was blow away and left wanting more, a great brew.

06-17-2011 21:22:59 | More by vader
Billolick

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

12 ounce bottle, 9/9/11 on the lower left of the label (best before dating?). Pours lighter amber, near clear, off white head, goes to a tiny bubble film and leaves respectable scatered lacing.

Tropical fruit hopped up, pungent and enticing.

Nose carries through onto the palate (suprise), waves of fresh tasting hops, tropical fruits, resins, sweet pinapple, hop lovers delight. Savored every sip of this one, very tasty and well crafted DIPA. How I wish this was distributed to my area...it would be one of my go to brews

06-17-2011 00:35:36 | More by Billolick
jhughes23

Delaware

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

nice off white head the stuck around with great lacing. Nice clear amber color.

Amazing in your face aromas. Fills the room. Very citrus and Piney, pungent and Fruity.

The flavors are just like the aroma, just dialed down a little bit. So this is a Hop bomb. The malt and Hop/bitterness is perfectly balanced to give a very easy to drink 9% brew! Amazing

Very smooth in the mouth with a excellent clean finish. the High alcohol is hidden so well! A little too well.

Had this at a huge IPA tasting and this blew us away. Nobody had ever tasted it before so we were very surprised. At a tasting with Elder, Sculpin, Furious, Duet, Pure Hoppiness etc...this was the talk of the party! Thanks inlimbo77 for sharing!

06-15-2011 21:45:25 | More by jhughes23
DrDogbeer

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Had this on tap at FRTH. This one followed up an elder on tap on my recent visit. Smell was outrageous. My friend, who was sitting nearby asked if I had just got a glass of weed. It is that potent. Tons of hops on the nose and in the taste as well. Real slick mouthfeel with tons of grassy hop flavor. Just a hop lovers dream. Picked up a 4 pack as well and it was well worth it! Good work!

06-14-2011 02:51:34 | More by DrDogbeer
mrandypandy

Georgia

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz bottle given go me as an extra by a friend (pullen). Many thanks!

A- Pours a slightly hazy mango/orange. Small whispy white head leaves average lacing. Good.
S- Big, bold citrus hops with a splash of pine.
T- Not as powerful as I was expecting, which is not a bad thing. Nice sweet, fruity hop flavor which is pominent yet somehow restrained. Balanced and not too bitter. Well done.
M- Medium body, thinner than I was expecting for a DIPA but it works.
O- Pleasantly unexpected but tasty and drinkable beer. With so many DIPA's out there it's hard to find new ones that impress, and Myrcenary does not disappoint.

06-14-2011 01:51:47 | More by mrandypandy
ChadQuest

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured into a small snifter, this one is really light color resembling a light pale gold or straw color, looks good with random bubbles lazily floating around.
On both the aroma and palate this has so little malt bill leaving it dry and clean letting the hops show through in detail. this is how a proper ipa should be. There is a pleasent amount of tropical hops only overcome by some wet grass and flowery esters and even more light fruits such as pears and crisp red apples. A great hop combo that is an excellent summer ipa.

06-13-2011 22:19:11 | More by ChadQuest
Sean9689

3.2/5  rDev -25.6%

Thanks to Chris (spycow) for this one. Poured into Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a clear golden yellow color, off-white head, thin collar, large bubbles on top are left behind after the initial pour.

S - Lots of hoppy bitter notes, dank, lemon peel citrus.

T - Very hoppy, slight citrus, strong sweetness. The finish is harsh herbs or something medicinal, which I really don't enjoy at all. Up front, this beer isn't bad, but the finish harshness of the finish isn't so good.

M - A bit too light, light carbonation, oily finish.

O - Slightly above average. A little too watery for me on the mouth. The real killer here is the finish, just terrible even though the rest of the taste is good. No more for me, thanks. Can't recommend.

06-13-2011 17:36:48 | More by Sean9689
bennetj17

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Deep gold, very clear, with only the slightest bit of haze. The head is fairly thin with white foam that leaves a lasting ring. Carbonation below doesn't seem all that active, however. I like the aroma as it has an intense hoppiness similar to the regular Odell IPA, but it's brighter with more subtlety.

Dominant floral and citrus hop character in the taste, the finishing bitterness is not too intense. The malt is in fact not showing itself too forcefully, making it hard to believe this is 9.3% ABV. It's a honey, bready maltiness that allows the hops to shine through nicely. The mouthfeel does a good job of not seeming syrupy or thick, and the carbonation is moderate and creates a soft foaminess on the palate.

Overall one of the better DIPA's to hit the market in recent times. If it were a few years back this would be top 25 material, but there is just so much competition nowadays, though I guess that's a good thing. I can't believe how drinkable this beer is, it really goes down like a single IPA. As long as this is fresh and readily available I will be buying some more...

06-12-2011 05:35:39 | More by bennetj17
dirtyskunk

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

This is the best DIPA I have ever had. I've had it twice on tap now and a few times in bottles.

It pours with a beautiful head that lingers nicely with good sloppy lacing. Same clear, medium golden straw color as any IPA.

The nose is amazing. Possibly one of the best smelling beers of any style that I have encountered. Tons of hops that are all over the place, tropical fruit and citrus, floral and herbal tones in the back.

Everything in the aroma is magnified on the tongue. Too many fruit flavors to list them all, and it's kind of a rorschach ink blot for the tongue anyways. There's just enough bitterness that you can tell this is a DIPA but so much sweet citrus fruit and floral flavor that it's unlike any other IPA I've had. This tastes like the same direction as the Dogfish 90 minute, but even better to me.

Creamy and smooth mouthfeel, especially on tap, this beer is just luxurious.

Best DIPA I've ever had. I will get this every time I see it on tap.

06-11-2011 21:54:38 | More by dirtyskunk
alexhahn82

A -- Very nice appearance with 1 finger head. Totally dominated by carbonation that bubbles up from the bottom of the glass.

S - Smells lightly sweet and very muted overall in nose.

T/M - Tastes very pungent (in a good way) which is a very unusual but nicely distinct hop prifle. Very nice medium malt that comes in second to the hops. The carbonation does not overpower anything about the mouthfeel.

Overall - I had there Pale Ale earlier and wasn't impressed, glad I gave this a shot, 9.2% ABV is well disguised and has lots of hop bite to it!

PP (Price Point) - Wife purchased the four pack for me, unsure at this time, guessing it was. (UNKNOWN(

06-11-2011 04:01:20 | More by alexhahn82
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

A delicious IPA with bold and resiny, drippy hop goodness of citrus, earthy/herbal, and fresh wet-hop grassy character.

Myrcenary pours with a near-brilliant medium golden color, a medium density of froathy white foam, moderate lace, and good retention. A good looking beer, but perhaps a bit of coarse filtration has helped the haze but hurt the head chracter just a touch.

Vibrant aromas of tropical and citrus fruits blend with herbal grasses and spruce for a complex aromas with the nuances of tangerine, pineapple, catty-garlic, fresh cut grasses, and a tinge of lemon- all backed by a thin caramel barley malt scent that lurks in the background.

Flavors are just as descriptive, but not with the intensity or zeal that is promised by the nose. The light caramel taste delivers the base malt presence that IPA's deserve, but none more. This allows for the on slaught of hops to deliver the bold tropical, fruit, and herbal flavors at mid palate and extending through 'til the development of resiny bitter hops in the finish. Delicious and balanced, but taking the foot off the pedal from what was experienced in the nose.

Medium bodied, the beer has a mild early creaminess that develops into a timid malty mouthfeel with mint, herbs, and alcohol dryness that seeps into the aftertaste of citrus bitterness and earthy grass in aftertaste.

In some ways the beer reminds me of Sculpin IPA and Lake Eerie Monster, but with a thinner body and less consistency as the beer moves from aroma to taste to mouthfeel. But still a wonderful beer that deserves celebration, over and over again.

Thanks given2flybrewing and bbehr!

06-09-2011 05:02:43 | More by BEERchitect
BeerAmbassador

Arizona

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Light golden hue, pours a two finger head with a bit of lacing.

Aroma is grapefruit, passion fruit, and lime.

Flavor pretty much follows suit, pretty sweet up front with a nice bitterness on the end.

Nice mouthfeel, really creamy carbonation, although I wouldn't mind just a touch more.

A really nice DIPA from Odell. Very affordable as a singel as well.

06-09-2011 02:09:55 | More by BeerAmbassador
vande

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A ~ a bold, golden yellow with no head....an extremely thin lacing laying along the circumference of the beer as it stands in my pint glass

S ~ Hops upfront -- citrus, grapefruit, some pine? little Lemon? little floral...very pleasant though!

T ~ bitter bite right away, finishing strongly with that grapefruity smack across the palate....funny, I don't think I like grapefruits, as I don't eat them, but I'm enjoying this brew...Big citrus fruit on the palate..Strong

M ~ Decent feel here. Definitely makes your mouth "clench" as the beer reaches the oral surfaces...

O ~ Glad I was able to snag some from a friend traveling north bound from St. Louis... I could drink this one again, but would have to space them out over a couple of nights... Too many in one could kill my palate for awhile!

06-08-2011 03:08:48 | More by vande
yeahnatenelson

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance -- Pours a golden orange hue witha sudsy white head. Thin lacing, but catches light well: photogenic, I'd say.

Smell -- Hmm... raw sugars, tropical fruits, cat pee, and a sprig of mint. Certainly unique. I'm intrigued, though this smells a bit on the sweet side.

Taste -- Honey and crystal malt sweetness meets resin, menthol, and a double-dose of Simecoe-style cattiness. The tropical fruit notes are still present, though not nearly as up assertive as in the nose, which is strange since the malt sweetness really should've put these characteristics front and center. The finish is where things start getting weird. There's a distinct bitter herb/vegetal flavor. Lingering flavors of minty hops and cane juice.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied, perhaps a bit fuller, with very mild carbonation. Not keen, sorry.

Overall -- There has been a lot of ballyhoo about this beer, and after this bottle I don't think I'm a believer. While definitely good, I don't think it lives up to the accolades. That said, it's a solid, go-to regional DIPA.

06-08-2011 02:30:01 | More by yeahnatenelson
metter98

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has no signs of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that left some lacing on the surface and down the edges of the glass.
S: The hops contribute moderate aromas of grapefruit to the smell.
T: Like the smell, the taste is very citrusy and filled with flavors of grapefruit.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is very easy to drink considering its strength and doesn’t have any hints of alcohol in the taste.

06-06-2011 02:30:13 | More by metter98
jamespub

Missouri

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

A- bright, clear, light amber color. A fantastic specimen. Pours with low carbonation for the style with a remnant of head remaining around the edge. The color is hypnotic.

S- Great hops, fruity, crisp, sweet. begs you to drink it.

T- Incredible flavor. Myrcenary's flavor is only beat by Hop Slam in my book. Full of great hop flavor, fruity, delicious. Not overly grapefruit-y, but still has a subtle citrus flavor. It is unique, and has managed to separate itself from most all other IPA's I've tried. Not incredibly malty, but oh so delicious.

M- Crisp, clean, with a lingering bitterness that sits pleasantly on the tongue. It really isn't bitter till the aftertaste, but even then, it is very pleasant and welcome. Smooth and easy to drink, especially after a long, hot day.

O- I wish I would have purchased this beer sooner. Another great brew from Odell. This is the 2nd best IIPA that I have ever had. I will be getting more. And for $10/4 pack, it is very reasonable. Do yourself a favor and get some.

06-04-2011 04:26:34 | More by jamespub
claytong

Vermont

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Taste damn similar to a Pliny for me which i had like 3 days ago. I'm no IPA drinker though.

Appearance - a tiny bit hazy. one inch head from controlled pour. gold in color, a very pretty gold at that.

Smell - is that hops? haha, lots of good hops in here. pine and pineapple.

Taste - is that also hops? minor citrus. no alcohol for 9.3 and feels light on you. not very bitter which was a huge plus for me. no big bite.

Mouthfeel - smooth, balanced, refreshing. nice on my sore throat. tingly.

06-03-2011 18:55:04 | More by claytong
nlmartin

The beer is served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass.

A- 4.0 The body of the beer is a golden honey color. The head is thick and off white. The head hangs around for the entire drink inspite of my substantial mustache. Rings of foam line my quickly emptying glass.

S 4.0 The aroma of sugary pineapple dipped pine cones and very pleasing grapefruit great my nose.

T- 4.0 The beers taste is forcefully smacking all teh right hop notes in my mouth. Grapefruit, citus zest, oily pine very pleasant hop bittering quickly bitch smacks any malty sweetness.

M 4.0 The body of the beer is medium. The carbonation breaks the body up a bit. I am sure this is a bit more alcoholic than the mouth lets on feels about 7%/

O - 4.0 This is a very satisfying DIPA. I could drink a couple of these on any given evening.

The Reveal: Odell Brewing The Myrcennary. This is indeed a well done fix of hops. Thanks again Phelps!

06-03-2011 13:11:15 | More by nlmartin