2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Myrcenary Double IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Myrcenary Double IPAMyrcenary Double IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 02-18-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Myrcenary Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,728 | Reviews: 481 | Show All Ratings:
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

On-tap at Waldos KC served in a snifter

A - 2 fingers of thick white head, average lacing with incredible lacing.

S - Peppery and grassy upfront, pineapple, herbal, floral, sweet citrus, very faint malt in the background.

T - Sweet citrus, candied lemons and tangerines, pineapple, kiwi, stone fruit, sweet honey pale malt underneath. The grassy peppery hops start creeping in midway and grow with bitterness leaving the finish dry and firmly bitter with resinous oils left on the tongue.

M - Full bodied, low fine carbonation.

Wow! This is by far the best beer I've had from Odell. Actually one of the best DIPA's I've had as well. Very complex mix of hops and yeast, it's like sweet hop nectar.

02-26-2013 18:20:04 | More by StaveHooks
Moose90

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dated 5/29/13

A – Bright clear orange/yellow. Thin head that leaves nice lacing.

S – Pineapple, mango, and melon; great tropical fruit notes. Some citrus as well, but this is dominated by sweet pineapple and mango notes.

T – Peach, pineapple and crisp lime. Very unique profile on this one, malts are sweet, but balanced by a tremendous hop character. Some mango comes through on the finish. Very juicy overall.

M – Near perfect carbonation leads to a nice, clean, and refreshing mouthfeel. Finish lingers, and this goes down smooth. High ABV is undetected.

O – A truly unique beer and another killer beer from Odell's. They truly excel with the hoppy stuff, and this one is one of their best examples.

02-26-2013 06:48:45 | More by Moose90
GoldHorde

4.9/5  rDev +14%

And THIS...is ODELL???

Mercynary Double India Pale Ale - 12oz bottle.

WOW! It poured a very uninteresting hazy pale yellow, BUT what an interesting beer! I would include THIS BEER in every IPA tasting just to show what beers RULE the fringe of this beloved hophead style. The bouquet was IMMEDIATELY enticing; a fresh herbal slap with a decidedly citrus edge that instantly made me think of golf balls and lemonade & gin high balls…momentarily forgetting that Spring is STILL four months out and I'm STILL in 2 feet of February permafrost here!

*sigh*

The beautifully refreshing aroma was SO NICE that I kept relishing in it for quite a few minutes before actually partaking a sip. The flavor hit was just a hatch mark under the predicted aromatic (as expected) but I was astonished by the long lemony, ginny aftertaste. I have never had a beer like this. KUDOS to the brewers for giving me an unexpected fast curve ball inside and up…leaving me looking…in AWE.

The head was thin (within category) with some lacing. The only other drink I've had reminiscent of this was something that was a malty hard lemonade concoction several years ago which straddled the category of hard fruit drink vs. beer. The brand name, place and event escape me – but a police report is probably in there somewhere…

I may LOVE IPA's, Stouts and Bourbon Porters, BUT I bend the knee to American Double IPA's, the Lord and the SR-71 Blackbird!

02-22-2013 05:21:33 | More by GoldHorde
drrone

Utah

3.74/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Nice clear golden, straw hue. Finger and a half of off white head. Nice lacing.

S- Hoppy, but not a much as you would expect for an DIPA. Good amount of malt. Maybe a hint of pineapple. Hopefully it will improve as it warms.

T- Hoppy, but not overwhelming. I can pick up more of the citrus highlights, but not very much of a tropical fruit hit. Solid malt backbone.

M - Drinks nicely, goes down smoothly without being too heavy. Good amount of carbonation.

O - Not a bad DIPA. It drinks quite smoothly for having 9.3% ABV. It gives you a good hop hit, but expected a slightly more pronounced impact on my senses.

02-22-2013 01:26:04 | More by drrone
elgiacomo

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, best by April 16, 2013. About 2 months old. Served at around 45F.

Pours semi-hazy amber with a two finger off-white head that leaves rings of bubbly and drippy lacing

Aroma is big time pineapple, mango, tropical fruit, floral hops, some apricot, caramel, hint of pine and orange rind. Good to very good strength.

Flavor is fruity hops, tropical fruit, mango, melon, pineapple, resinous hops, some citrus, apricot, decent bit of caramel malt, mild to moderate sweetness, good bitterness, some alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily and a bit sticky, good carbonation.

Excellent Double IPA and a real treat to get to try this. Big thanks to Mark for this one. Every hoppy beer I’ve had from Odell has been excellent...they sure know there way around some hops!

02-13-2013 02:06:57 | More by elgiacomo
JamesMN

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Re-Reviewing because I have a fresh bottle and I've recently gotten much more appreciation for this style.

Appearance: A golden liquid with great clarity and a thin off-white head that looks like it will leave nice lacing. Micro size effervescent bubbles slowly ascending. Real nice looking DIPA.

Aroma: A healthy mix of hops and malts. Pine and pineapple right away with lots of crystal malt. Some citrus but a mostly a mix of tropical and piney hops. Not as aromatic as I had hoped.

Taste: Starts with a light zap of bitterness on the tongue accompanied by pine and tangerine hop flavors. The crystal and caramel malts are not far behind and strike a near perfect balance in this heavily hopped brew. The hops that are implemented are not specified on Odell's website but I would venture a guess that Simcoe (pine) and Cascade (citrus/grapefruit) are on the list. Don't taste any of the 9.3% ABV besides a very slight heat in the back of the throat. It's listed as 70 IBUs which is a walk in the park for most hop heads. Perhaps because of the hop/malt balance the bitterness is not as extreme as a typical DIPA. Finish is dry with lingering pine and hints of tropical fruits.

Mouthfeel: Just a tad above medium which is on the lighter side for something this potent but makes it all the more drinkable. Smooth carbonation and a great drinking experience.

Final Thoughts: I'm glad I took the time to re-review this one so as to really enjoy the flavors. If you are in search of a superbly balanced DIPA then look no further. I'm shocked this beer doesn't get more hype, maybe because it's available year round at a steal ($10/4-pack). Would I drink it again? You betcha, three left in the fridge that will be calling my name all week.

02-09-2013 04:58:42 | More by JamesMN
Knapp85

4.24/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This poured out as a clear golden yellow color with a white foamy hea on top. The retention and lacing are good. The smell is a little weaker than I expected. Subtle floral an fruity notes on the nose. The taste is pretty strong, lots of lemony citrus flavors. Nice malt back bone. The mouthfeel is smooth and oily, nice easy going carbonation. Overall very good. Really really good stuff.

02-03-2013 23:05:57 | More by Knapp85
GPHarris

Alabama

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

a - poured a one finger thick creamy, off-white head into a snifter that left great lacing throughout. the body was a bright golden-amber color.
s - very floral hops with some citrus hop aromas too.
t - very fruity with some citrus and spicy hops coming through too. nice balance here though with bready malt flavors.
m - thick, coating and chewy.
o - great DIPA and dangerously drinkable.

01-23-2013 16:19:43 | More by GPHarris
TheCondor

Missouri

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer has been sitting in my beer cooler for a while, and I haven't known what to think of it. I don't like to look at beers on BA before I drink them, so as not to cloud my unbiased judgement of a beer when I drink it and later review it. I generally like to drink and review at the same time! Anyway, side poured from the bottle into my 2-137th INF REGT tulip glass what. Standard vigor

Appearance - Pours a beautiful orange color with a sweet one and a half finger, fluffy white head with ecellent retention and absolutely ridiculous lacing! The lacing stays with this beer throughout the entire drink, every sip being marked on the sides of the glass. Plenty of sediment can be seen inside the bottle and in the glass after the pour, pours real cloudy as well. Magnificient presentation.

Smell - Everything you would expect out a DIPA, but much more balanced than most of the examples I have had of the style. Orange peel, coriander, piney citrusy hops are strong, tropical and floral scents, everything that is wonderful about a hoppy beer.

Taste - Follows the nose very closely. Tropical fruits, floral notes, oranges and grapefruits all play into the hoppiness of this hop-forward beer. There is a malty, boozy backbone to the brew as well, but the fruits are certainly at the forefront of the taste. Hops are well done in that they are not too bitter or dry, as I have seen several times with the style.

Mouthfeel - Finishes clean and crisp, with a touch of fruits and bitterness from the hops. Really good, real nice finish

Overall - This is absolutely one of the best DIPA's, or any variation of the pale ale style, that I have ever drank. Outstanding craftsmanship, hats of to the O'Dell brewery, unbelieveable. This is one of the most highly recommended beers the Condor has ever reviewed, this beer really surprised me. Took me totally off guard with its' quality, and I'm not really a DIPA guy. I will buy this again, for sure.

01-21-2013 00:07:20 | More by TheCondor
DocJitsu

4.11/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy, classic golden color with a short, antique white head. Thin lacing appears in asymmetrical fashion. It has a malty nose with some orange and lemon citrus esters. Mouthfeel is very well-balanced. Full, a little oily, and crisp on the finish. Pretty malty flavor. Grapefruit emerges in the flavor, where it was absent in the bouquet. Some lemon on the finish. A little too malty for my taste, but still a very well-engineered brew.

01-16-2013 05:09:43 | More by DocJitsu
Mgm54

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Review from memory and notes

Serving Type - 12oz bottle

Great beer! the coloring is just right for the taste a smell, a deeper color than your standard DIPA, with more of an amber look to it. Smell is perfect, matching the taste in a very interesting way. Big floral and hoppy smell up front, with slight hints of yeast. Taste is perfect, a lot of hops, but enterprisingly not very bitter. A great taste with enterprisingly mild bitterness. I've never encountered a beer quite like this, and I am glad I did. Truly a great beer. Should be a must try for everyone.

01-06-2013 03:30:46 | More by Mgm54
BeerWizard

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So let me start by saying that this stuff is really friggin' good, and you should try it if you like IPA's and DIPA's. I've been holding off buying it because it's always $11 or $12 for a 4-pack, but after tasting it, I would probably pay that in the future. However, I did find it for $10 tonight and that was the right price point for me to get me into it.

Poured from a bottle into a goblet, and was suprised to see some suspension it the ale, enough to obscure my finger on the other side of the glass. The liquid is a pretty butterscotch color and yielded a small head from the pour. Leaves sparse lacing down the glass as you drink it down.

Nose on it is real nice, pineapple and mango fruits, a little yeast and malt - you can tell it's going to be really hoppy. Not to boozy, though, which is amazing, considering the amount of juice that's in this thing. Tastes great, but not melt-your-face-off hoppy like I thought it might be. It has some nice fruit flavors up front, and really robust backing from the malt and booze; one of the things I really enjoy about double-IPA's. Just like the bottle says, really clean finish.

Overall, I really like this one, and like I said, I would get it again and would probably fork over the extra buck or two even though it's a 4-pack. I don't really think I could see straight if I drank more than four of these, anyway. Nice job OBC!

01-06-2013 01:32:19 | More by BeerWizard
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

Pale, lemony golden color. Almost hazy enough to look unfiltered, maybe it is. Small tight head that is gone all too quickly. Big grassy and lemon citrus aroma. Lots of hop flavor. Caramel malt sweetness. Lingering bitterness. I cant get enough of the balance between the hop flavor and the sticky malt I just love it when done right. Very solid mouthfeel. Great malty backbone just pulls this whole thing together. A great beer for my money, wish it could be a full time experience.

01-03-2013 23:00:30 | More by lackenhauser
bambam2517

Arizona

4.6/5  rDev +7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Drank at 45F.

A - Cloudy dark orange body, substantial amount of meringue-like foam develops and lasts into the first few sips. Eventually fades down to a thick lace ring that lasts the rest of the way down. Good legs.

S - A standout in that I love beers that can mimic other esters with their hop and malt profiles. This one hits with alot of citrus and tropical fruit esters. Alot of times a beer hyped as "hoppy" is just that, heavy on the piney end. I don't get much of that here, its been developed into a fruit bomb. Well done!

T - Pineapple predominantly, grapefruit and tangerine as well. Also a bit of oakiness. Very unusual and so impressive that this is being done with a blend of hops, not just folded in or obtained artificially.

M - It lingers a bit heavy on the tongue, and there is a bit of alcoholic burn, but its pretty well done all around.

O - One of my most interesting brews as of late. I'll keep some back in the fridge for special occasions, not an everyday drinker in my book.

01-01-2013 06:16:42 | More by bambam2517
IrishHockey

Indiana

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%

Recieved as an extra from the great trader Crabbicus.

Poured into my Founders snifter. My go to glass

Pour on this was what I expected. Nice burnt orange with a two finger white head and some lacing on the sides. Very nice

Smell is floral, citrus, I get some pine and earthiness in their too. Quite nice

Taste... Hmmm, I like it. I get a faint taste like fruity pebbles. The hops are there. Not overly bitter or dry. Pretty well rounded. Not blown away, but pretty good. The citrus background notes keep me interested in this, and make it an above average beer.

Mouthfeel on this is for lack of a better word...normal. It's not to watery and the carbonation is perfect.

Overall, this is not a blow my socks off beer, but a very well executed one. I like the fruity notes in the background. A very good beer. If you come across it, try it! Solid, and very good!

12-22-2012 04:15:04 | More by IrishHockey
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

12oz bottle into a snifter, 2/15/13 best before date. Hopefully that means it's fresh.

A: pours a slightly hazy golden color with a bit of amber. Three fingers of dense white head develop from the pour.

S: Tropical fruits galore - I get pineapple, mango, and a hint of grassiness and pine.

T: Not as intense as the aroma, I get a bit of caramel sweetness with some resiny and slightly tropical hops. I also get a bit of citrus.

M: Medium to thick with low carbonation.

O: The aroma on this beer includes a great hoppiness with a ton of tropical fruits. The flavor, though, seems a bit muddled.

12-20-2012 03:26:57 | More by coreyfmcdonald
RockyRaku

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Love this beer....just sayin' Lacing noticeable but diminishing. A very inviting sweet , citrusy, floral aroma abounds. The taste again was citrusy and sweet.. slight pine like bitter, but hops are very flowery and sweet. Every sip was crisp and delicate. A beer full of liveliness....nice hoppy feel on the tongue and nose. I would order more.

12-19-2012 05:01:06 | More by RockyRaku
Teleweizen2

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy marigold color with some pale straw highlights. Thick 2 fingers worth of pearly white foam leave gobs of lacing on the glass as it quickly dissipates.

S - Bright and sweet nose. Lots of citrus and tropical fruit. Sweet orange peel, grapefruit rind and pineapple are most prominent. Notes of fresh cut grass, pine needles and hints of resin round out the aroma.

T - mild bready sweetness with notes of dough and crisp crust. hops swoop down quickly to decimate the palate. Flavors of sugar coated grapefruit, bitter orange peel, pineapple and pine needles. Finish is a lingering mix of sweetness and pine.

M - medium, nearing full bodied with a smooth, seamingly crisp texture most likely from the bitterness. High carbonation with tight scrubbing bubbles add to the crisp and refreshing character.

O - Excellent DIPA. I am not always big on this style but this one is something I could see myself ordering more than once. Great balance, not too sweet and tons of hop flavor. Great stuff.

12-18-2012 06:09:13 | More by Teleweizen2
ludachris

Ontario (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Its body is a nearly crystal clear golden amber. A rich, frothy bright white head coats the glass with thick sheets of lace. In terms of looks, I couldn't ask for much more in terms of filtered double IPA's.

Although the nose doesn't smack you in the face with pungent, resinous hops, it is absolutely loaded with rounded fruity hop goodness. Fresh tangy peaches, sweet clementine, juicy mango, sticky pineapple, orange peel and papaya ooze out of the glass. Everything about the nose is ultra fresh and clean. The 9.3% ABV is nowhere to be found. It's not the most potent DIPA I've ever put my nose to but it's easily the most rounded and one of the most aromatic.

Ripe peaches, mango, and papaya come in layers, coating all parts of the mouth. Macerated pineapples come through near the back, imparting a slight acidity to the overall flavour. The bitterness comes in the finish and is quite tamed and rounded with a soft leafy character.

Mirroring the nose and flavour, the feel is ultra clean and rounded. A soft creaminess gives it the characteristic IPA feel. I couldn't pick out a flaw in this department if I wanted to.

An ode to myrcene indeed. This beer made my realize my favorite DIPA's are all about the late addition aromatic hops and not so much the intensely bitter, resinous ones that seem to be more common. This is my first beer from Odell's and the bar can't be set much higher. I would be more than willing to pay full price for several fresh cases of this perfectly crafted double IPA.

12-13-2012 02:07:22 | More by ludachris
hoppytobehere

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best by: 3/15/13, consumed on 12/10/12.

A: Poured into an 8 oz. plastic cup from the hotel. Light copper, clear body with carbonation bubbles floating up. Excellent retention and lacing.

S: Pineapple and mango, some malt in there as well.

T: This is where it shines. Mango, sugar and grassy hops. Very nice balance and malt backbone.

M: Creamy, oily, good carbonation. Fantastic.

O: Top notch stuff. Odell knows how to make IPAs.

12-11-2012 02:49:20 | More by hoppytobehere
falloutsnow

From: Whole Foods, Omaha, NE
Date: Best by 11/21/12
Glass: Tulip

Odell's Myrcenary is a blend of over-the-top hoppiness with citrus and tropical fruit resting comfortably high above bright malts in what is a very good DIPA recipe. While the aroma and taste display a bit more ethanol (any, really) than I'd like, it's well within expected bounds for the 9.3% burden this beer carries. Generally quite nice, and a beer I'd probably revisit if it were available where I now live.

Pours a 1.5 cm head of off-white foam, small and medium-sized bubbles interspersed fairly evenly, gradually settling to a thick ring around the glass and a thin film of wispy foam atop the body. Lacing is fairly substantial, a strong wash of sudsy film stuck to the perimeter of the glass. The body is golden orange out of the light, slightly hazy yellow gold when in. Some carbonation is visible, streaming from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma of tropical fruits (pineapple, mango, grapefruit, orange, and lemon) balanced on top of caramel malts. Ethanol is present, minimally so, but still a bit disappointing. Not amazingly complex, but satisfyingly hoppy and well-blended in its choice of varieties.

The front of the palate discovers light fruit flavors (very mild orange-lemon, sweetened grapefruit juice) with malt overtones and a surprising (in that it's present at all) light tartness. Mid-palate finds a lush mix of tropical fruit hop flavors: grapefruit, orange, a bit of tangerine, and pineapple mixed with classic hop bitterness and a notable, mildly bright malt sweetness, and some ethanol. Back of palate finds hop bitterness with waning tropical fruit flavors and a more noticeable ethanol presence. Aftertaste of long-lingering bitterness that's surprisingly well-tempered by moderately heavy malts and a subtle splash of ethanol.

Beer is medium to medium-heavy in body, with moderate levels of carbonation that produce a fairly smooth-flowing beer. Hints of ethanol in the nostrils, throat, and back of the palate when the beer hits these regions, as expected in a 9.3% beer. Finishes dry, as expected from the substantial hop presence in this beer.

11-13-2012 06:24:56 | More by falloutsnow
NoLeafClover44

Delaware

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into standard pint. Best by 2/15/13. Thanks Crab.

A - Pours a hazy golden copper with a half finger of white head. The lacing is an awesome hierarchy of rings lining the glass. Good retention.

S - Juicy grapefruit, cantaloupe, and tropical fruit hops. Sweet caramel malts and a hint of pine contribute as well. Inviting aroma.

T - Big tropical mango sweetness on the forefront followed by a menagerie of hops. Citrus and pine battle but the citrus wins out. It carries through to the finish with very little linger. Very well done.

M - Feels frothy and light making it very drinkable and refreshing. There is no alcohol presence.

O - This is the first beer from Odell and I am very impressed. Makes great use of tropical flavors with solid bitterness. The mouthfeel is phenomenal. I wish I had a few more to enjoy. This is one I will try to track down again.

11-09-2012 01:34:28 | More by NoLeafClover44
notchucknorris

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color that glows in the glass. A one finger cream colored head. Big sticky gobs of lace down the glass.

S: Big sticky citrus hops. Heavy grapefruit, orange, mango and some honey malt. A heavy smell laden with hops.

T: A rich sweet malty flavor held back by a load of sticky citrus hops. Honey, some melon and a bunch of sticky hop resin. A tasty beer.

11-07-2012 06:16:07 | More by notchucknorris
uwmgdman

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a snifter this beer is fairly clear golden-straw color with just a bit of hazy, likely from dry hopping. The head diminished to a skim but is very sticky and leaves beautiful lacing along the sides of the glass. The aroma is intensely hoppy--gobs of orange citrus, fruity, and resiny. Beneath all the hops is a touch of sweetness from the malt. The flavor is quite hoppy--very fruity and floral with solid hop bitterness. The malt is not lost in this beer and some candy-like sweetness plays off the solid bitterness imparting a long-lasting dance of bittersweetness. The body is perfect for the style--full yet not chewy with moderate carbonation. Overall a wonderful DIPA--well worth picking up a 4 pack!

11-04-2012 02:33:42 | More by uwmgdman
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Catching up on some reviews from notes.
The Yardhouse always has a long draft list, although most of the time it is pretty pedestrian. What a suprise when I found this one.

Clear, golden orange with a creamy, white head. Good retention, thin stringy lace.
Hops dominate the smell, grapefruit, pineapple, leafy and fruity.
Taste has the same tropical, citrus hoppiness all over the palate. Bitter, yet balanced. Flavorful without being too burning. None of the 9% alcohol is perceivable. Very drinkable.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Again alcohol is well hidden. Flavor-filled, lots of hops so not really balanced, but at the same time, it is not one-dimensional.
An excellent, well made DIPA.
Not quite Pliny, but right up there in my books.

Note to self: Ranked #34 Top American Double / Imperial IPA when I tried it.

11-03-2012 21:57:50 | More by BigBry