Woodcut No. 5 - Oak-Aged Belgian Style Quad Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Woodcut No. 5 - Oak-Aged Belgian Style Quad AleWoodcut No. 5 - Oak-Aged Belgian Style Quad Ale

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 06-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by yamar68:
yamar68

I've sampled this beer on two different occasions - I'm confident that the first bottle had issues outside of Odell's control.

Score is representative of today's bottle.

10/14/12:
Bottle 2587

Murky ruby body capped with two fingers of loose boozy head that leaves pretty decent lacing.

Aroma is way more on track than that first bottle I had - thick toffee, spicy oak, no obvious signs of infection or oxidation. Big bourbon heat, Belgian yeast spiciness? Not nearly as off-putting as the bottle I sampled months ago.

Entirely different beer. Overripe figs, molasses, caramel, bitter wood notes, the alcohol doesn't dominate the way the nose would suggest, vanilla, more oak, actually quite good. Another pleasant surprise this evening.

I can't say that I would recommend buying one of these as I tasted a terrible bottle with a very similar bottle number. But be sure to try a taste if the opportunity arises. If it's a good bottle, it's a good beer.

Sorry for doubting you, Odell.

5/28/12:
Bottle 2580

So at first I thought I'd better just pass on reviewing this one because I couldn't even finish a whole glass. But then I thought to myself that these reviews are what I base some of my beer purchases on. So, in an effort to dissuade others from making the same mistake I did, here is a very brief review:

Pours a dirty ruby gold. The head is reminiscent of that of an expired wheat beer. Lasts a few seconds and then disappears entirely. No lacing of course. No beading. This beer is completely dead for no good reason.

Dirty caramel, merlot, cardboard, vinegar, tobacco, burnt sugar.

More of the same. Rotten figs. Cigarette butts.

I can't even assess the mouthfeel... thin? The flavors that linger destroy any redeeming qualities that might be hidden in this beer.

First and foremost, I normally LOVE Odell. And I wish I loved this beer because now I have two more in the cellar. But, I'm very sad to say that this beer sucks ass. It tastes like it's been sitting uncorked in my truck ever since its release (11 months ago). Don't buy this beer. Even if it's on clearance at your bottle shop... it is an utter waste of money.

Odell - you owe me one.

2/24/13:
Bottle 2583

Very reminiscent of bottle 2580... no bueno.

***consume with caution - very hit or miss***

05-28-2012 01:01:53 | More by yamar68
spoony

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%

From a 750 ml bottle to a wine glass. I missed the bottle information on accident...

A-The beer is pretty light in color for the style with an orange-tinted light brown color. Not much in the way of head, just a thick cap of tan foam that fades immediately. The beer is murky and I cannot see any carbonation in there.

S-The aroma is sweet with suggestions of honey and caramel, as well as prune and golden raisin. There is also a bit of pepper spice and just a whiff of oak. The alcohol is warming and subdued, but noticeable.

T-The taste is similar but with more alcohol heat and flavor. Thus, there is some honey, golden raisin, prune, plum, caramel, and light oak. The finish is lightly spicy, and pretty hot and alcoholic (especially for a beer with this much age on it).

M-The feel is soft with lazy carbonation and a medium to lighter body for the style.

O-This is not a terrible beer and I rather enjoyed it with my burger the other evening, but it won't set the world afire either. It packs some simple flavors that are on the lighter end of the spectrum for a beer that calls itself a quad. Also, if you're looking for huge oak, look elsewhere. Of course, my review is of a bottle that has been in my cellar for about two years, so your mileage may vary greatly.

07-19-2014 03:30:13 | More by spoony

Vermont

12-30-2013 00:42:37 | More by iatethecloudsfor
kojevergas

2.34/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml brown glass bottle with branded black hood-and-wire cap over a branded cork acquired at a local bottle shop and served into a Guinness stem-goblet glass in me parents’ gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado during my annual Christmas tasting. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I dig the brewery and this is me favourite style. 11.3% ABV confirmed. June 2011 vintage. Reviewed as a quadrupel because the label describes it as such. Bottle #4126.

Served cold – straight from the fridge [and allowed to warm over the course of consumption.] Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it’s poured.

Pours no head whatsoever.

Body colour is a translucent orange-red of average vibrance. No floating yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it’s a strangely bright appearance for the style. I’m suspicious.

Sm: Off-style tropical fruits. Strange amber malts.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. An okay aroma of below-average strength.

T: Tropical fruit - pineapple, mango. Horridly bright plum. Weirdly bright malts. It's painfully simple and poorly built. Balance is really subpar. Lacks cohesion. Not gestalt. Lacks complexity, subtlety, nuance, and intricacy.

I'm not getting any oak from the taste. Shockingly simple.

No yeast character comes through. I do pick up on some alcohol.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Overcarbonated. Okay presence on the palate. Okay body.

Not oily, astringent, gushed, hot, boozy, or rough.

Dr: Downable swill. I really wouldn't get it again. Shockingly disappointing stuff coming from Odell. I'm surprised how low quality it is. I wouldn't recommend it to friends. For a beer in my favourite style, it's extremely mundane.

D+

12-24-2013 05:51:55 | More by kojevergas
jaydoc

Kansas

12-23-2013 04:07:03 | More by jaydoc
SafeAtFirst

Wisconsin

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Where art thou carbonation.
Pretty color.
I like how the oak plays with the dark malt/syrup.
Booze is very mellow almost aged out.
Molasses.
Soft, well rounded.
Would be a lot better with just a touch of carbonation. Sadly none.
Head. I wish a had some.
A bit of spice in the finish.
Could be so much more, but alas no carbonation.

08-10-2013 01:55:28 | More by SafeAtFirst

Connecticut

02-27-2013 18:19:54 | More by hoppymcgee
claspada

2.91/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a deep ruby garnet with absolutely no head and no bubbles. Some lacing if you swirl.

Aromas begin with dark cherry, raisins, figs and super strong oak tannins. As it warms the alcohol becomes more and more apparent.

The tastes begin with brown sugar, caramel, toffee and dark fruits. The strong oak is present throughout along with warming, border-lining, hot alcohol flavors.

Mouthfeel is heavy bodied with no carbonation. Finish is syrupy and sweet and also has some warming alcohol booziness.

Overall this and the Woodcut 4 were by far the poorest efforts in the series, but this one may be slightly worse because of the lack of carbonation. Both were quite boozy and hot but the lack of carbonation really hurts the flavor profile considering most Belgian style ales are higher in carbonation which helps the hefty flavor profile.

02-24-2013 14:43:10 | More by claspada

12-09-2012 21:13:49 | More by grittybrews
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

A: Poured a completely flat dark amber with no head whatsoever. Disappointing.

S: Dark fruits, caramel, toffee and oak. Meh.

T: Despite the lack of carbonation the beer still offers up some nice tasting notes. Lots of wood, caramel, dark fruits with a booze sting. Finish is flat, hot, sticky an sweet.

M: Medium bodied, heat, flat and boring. I really wish I had something to force carb this beer because I know it has so much potential

O: Huge let down. Especially in what you have to pay for these.

12-09-2012 16:44:42 | More by barleywinefiend