Hiveranno - Odell Brewing Company

good

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: optiontwo on 06-15-2011)
4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

4.58/5  rDev +26.5%

A - Deep amber/brownish color; half-finger head with considerable retention and lacing.

S - Fruity/citrus/oak combination. Rather sharp. And lovely.

T - Some bitterness on the front end. Finishes nicely. Decent hop edge with a tad bit of sourness. The surprise was pineapple which adds a nice touch of sweetness and complexity, along with the oak which is more prominent. The alcohol comes through just a bit and mixes in well.

M - Medium, edging toward full, body with just the right amount of carbonation.

O - I tried this beer when it was first released, about four months ago. Didn't make a huge impression. Just tried it again a few times over the past month and it has obviously aged very well. Fantastic.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

I've been waiting to try this ever since I heard about it. Odell is the brewery that developed my taste for sours. Once I read about how this was made I couldn't wait to try it. Then I read the reviews and heard rumors that it is a risk of being dumped because of carbonation issues. So I was stoked to randomly find it on draft at Whole Foods in Chandler, AZ.

Appearance: Much darker than I expected. One-finger head that looked fairly thick. Had the overall look that was similar to Trappist Rochefort 10 when I had it.

Smell: Unbelievably funky. Never smelled anything like it. Oak, hops, and funk. Kinda smells like a mistake haha, but I enjoyed it and was very intrigued. Took a big whiff before each sip

Taste: Unlike anything I've ever tried. Very impressive amount of funk. I read an earlier review that said "band-aids" and I didn't get that, but my girlfriend said "I can kinda see the band-aid thing." It tastes like something wrong and unintended happened. I get a lot of wood, funk, and hops. The after taste holds for a very very long time...but I enjoy it immensely.

Mouthfeel: Nothing amazing but nice. Not very dry or overly carbonated. Fairly thick.

Overall: I can understand why some people do not like this beer. I have honestly never tasted anything remotely close to how this is. There is nothing to compare it to in my eyes. I'm only going off of the fact that I really enjoyed drinking it and hope that bottles meet the standards of the brewers and I can have this bottle sitting on my shelves. I wish you luck Hiveranno.

Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Repost of review from hacked account "jmkratt" :(

Finally sampled the bottle I've had on hand!

A - Poured from undated bottle, though first batch, to a globe. The beer pours a deep amber/mahogany/red color. Good lacing. Little head, perhaps a 1/2 finger. I was told by one of the brewers that this was intentional. Interesting.

S - Excellent aroma. Very fruity with citrus and melon and tropical fruit character, together with a strong oak flavor. Very complex and yet simple.

T - Less intricate than the nose but still very good. Similar to the aroma in that the fruit character comes though first but not as powerful as the nose: citrus and melon flavors. Mild bitterness. A lot of hop character as well as strong yeast tones. A nice sweetness. The alcohol is hidden very well, I almost had to try to detect it.

M - Medium bodied and decently carbonated.

O - Very good. The only downside is that it's a bit flat, but again I was told this was the plan. Either way very good. Recommended.

Reviewed on: 07-02-2011 03:53:56

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap and as far as I can tell this hasn't been added to BA yet.

A: Pours a murky rusty red with a decent amount of head. Very nice lacing.

S: Initially the oak comes across the nose which provides a very "soft" aroma. Along with the wood is a fairly assertive American hop scent which is charecteristically citrus but becomes honeydew melon-like when combined with the yeast and the oak.

T: The flavor profile is quite complex. There's certainly a hop presence which actually takes the forefront with citrus, a little pine, and noticeable bitterness. Then it fades to a lemon grass and melon like flavor, some funk, and just a touch of sour. I read that this beer comes across as a funky IPA and I find that to be pretty spot on. Only thing that I'm not keen on with the flavor is a sweetness that to me is not welcome but to some I'm sure it'd be just right.

M: Lingers on the tongue but is not too thick.

D: Surprising that this is 9.5% ABV. Pretty darn drinkable.

O: A great brew. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you like beers like Le Terroir.

M:

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Reddish brown color, pretty murky and I can see a few streaming bubbles in the low light. Aroma is full of oak and soft wood notes. Hoppy as well here, with a big fruit note as well as citrus.

Sharply tangy with a pleasantly hoppy bite that surprised me. Pine notes alongside citrus and tobacco. Malts are pretty sweet with a firm body. Long finish, slightly sticky with notes of hops and malts in the aftertaste.

on tap served in goblet

A- pours a hazy golden amber color with a fresh white cap some lacing on glass

S- was citrus fruits and hops with with grapefruit and tropical fruit smells a sour apple smell also in background

T- very nice smooth and creamy with subtle tropical hops first a musty sour apple and lemon grass follow with a sweetness of malt and bread..

M- was medium carbonation with more sweet then sour notes.. ABV not detected to me more a sweet lemon saison with an ipa citrus taste

O- limited and very good it does need some more sour funk imo.. had it on tap ...bottles are not yet here.. but will be buying them when they arrive

I love sours and wilds. I was extremely excited to try this beer after standing in line for a bit to get it.

Light funk on the nose smelling of unsugared fresh yogurt and light fruits. Yep, its a sour! It surely carries through to the taste. No alcohol presence with light sweetness followed by a mild acidic sour bite all over the palate and puckering tongue. As a sour lover I was not dissapointed by this beer. It wasn't as much of a mouth puckering kick in the face as I like but it's a great example of a sour.

Served in some tall Odell stemware at Flanny’s.

Murky mahogany, muddied and fading to lighter amber at the edges. One finger of creamy tan foam collapses slowly, sticking to the sides in thick glop.

Interesting. Lots of bright lime in the nose. Also grapefruit peel. Very hoppy, with a background of caramel, cola and sour balsamic.

Tastes almost like a soured IPA. Nice citrusy hops, orange peel, grass. On the malty side, there’s brown sugar, a bit of toast and sweet cola. Behind it all, mild barnyard funk and touch of tartness.

Soft, pillowy body with lots of dense fizz. Light yet prickly carbonation and some alcohol heat in the throat.

Overall, like a malty, soured IPA. Hiveranno’s good, but not great, and too expensive for what it is.

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a hazy, brown/copper color. 1/3 inch head of a tan color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of strong sour notes, slight sweet malt, and slight alcohol. Fits the style of an American Wild Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sour tartness, alcohol, slight sweet malt, and slight citrus. Overall, great appearance, decent aroma, body, and blend.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Pours a deep red-tinged brown with one finger of head. Head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S - a funky sourness in top of a huge citrus aroma.

T - very hoppy for a wild ale. Initial tart punch is quickly overtaken by a huge citrus hop character. Almost like a sour black IPA. Still pretty enjoyable. Finish is very oaky. Not like any wild ale I've ever had, but interesting and quite good. Finish also has some lingering citrus.

M - medium/light mouthfeel with a dry, tannin- filled finish.

O - interesting take on the style. I think a bit less oak would make this better, but I enjoyed it as is and would have another.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

750ml bottle. Pours a reddish amber with no carbonation. :(

The aroma is earthy brett and fruits with some wood and tea-like spices.

The flavor is sweet fruits and funky brett with a little tart sourness and someastringent tea spicing. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with no carbonation.

Overall, bottles are known to be hit or miss in terms of carbonation - unfortunately this one was a miss. This is amazing when it's good. Draft version is great. Odell did a voluntary recall of bottles, but I kept my 2 becuase I liked the beer.

Hiveranno from Odell Brewing Company