Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Odell Cutthroat Porter - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Cutthroat PorterOdell Cutthroat Porter

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-19-2001

Not quite a stout but definitely no lightweight, Cutthroat Porter is smooth and robust. Inspired by the classic London porters, we use dark roasted malts to create a deep, rich color and flavor that hint at chocolate and coffee. We named it Cutthroat Porter as our tribute to the Colorado state fish – with its own rich heritage and unmistakable dark coloring. And while we’re big fans of small batches, here’s to the currently threatened Cutthroat population reaching mass quantities.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell Cutthroat Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 380 | Hads: 1,069
4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

Odell Cutthroat Porter pours from the bottle into a room-temperature glass a rich dark brown color with a huge, foamy tan head, looking like a shot of espresso or even root beer.

The smell is a mellow roasted malt with just a hint of alcohol and hops - if I could design a Porter aroma from the ground up, it would be very much like this.

Like the smell, the taste is exceptional and exudes classic Porter. The balance is nearly perfect: bitter and sweet hit the sides of the tongue briefly but give way to a subtle roasted coffee flavor that lingers pleasantly for long after each sip.

This is an excellent Porter from Odell (whose offerings I always enjoy very much) and an excellent beer in general. For what it's worth, I used two bottles in a big pot of chili over the weekend and it turned out great. I had a bottle with the chili and I'm enjoying one by itself now, and both times Cutthroat Porter was a standout. (923 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +21.1%

Odell Cutthroat Porter pours a pitch black color with a long lasting and lacing head. There is a nice roasted aroma, lots of coffee aromas as well. The taste is very robust, strong and creamy roasted malts, with good hints of coffee and chocolate. Full body, full flavors. Overall a world class porter, fantastic flavors, one of the best out there. (348 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +19.4%

poured a black that no light can get through with a three finger tan head that rises and runs away scared. the smell is burnt malt, coffiee and hops. the taste is smooth and creamy, the flavors that jump out first are bitter choclate, expresso and wood smoke, the middle is chared malt and the after taste is smoke and a light piney hops kiss. this is a world class porter that i long to have access to all the time. thanks to coldmeat23 for sending me this in a bif (466 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A dark brown color with a nice bubbly foam head was evident on the pour. The aroma was rich with nicely roasted malts.
The smell was of a classic porter. No doubt to what this beer is.
The taste is very similar to the aroma; rich roasted malts. The mouthfeel was rich and full.
I really enjoyed this beer and will drink it again when I can. I was able to get a few on a trip to Colorado, since we cannot get these in Indiana. (468 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

The beer is a pitch black, thick brew. As it poured, it really stuck to the side of the glass, sorta like oil. You'll pick up a lot of coffee, roasted malt, some alcohol and dark chocolate in the nose. The brew has a really tasty, rich malt flavor with a robust coffee taste. I thought it was well blended and smooth, with a strong flavor through the entire taste. Definitely will be picking this one up again, and I'd recommend you give it a try if you happen to see it in the store!

Appearance - 4.5/5.0- pours thick, really dark, sticks to side of glass
Smell - 4.5/5.0 - coffee, alcohol, chocolate, roasted malt
Taste - 5.0/5.0 - rich malt flavor, with robust coffee taste, well blended
Feel - 5.0/5.0 - smooth, well blended, flavors strong throughout each taste
Drinkability - 5.0/5.0 - excellent beer if you just want to have a beer and not get lit after it. (870 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Having this and Deschutes Black Butte back to back and I have to say although its close the O'dell is my favorite. Smoother finish but more bitter than Deschutes. I wonder if anyone else is comparing these two the same way. Take the Cutthroat, Black Butte challenge!?! (268 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

This beer pours a dark brown color, with a thick, fluffy, brown head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has a nice sweet malty aroma. I detect some coffee, and chocolate. Caramel mixes in. It has a pleasent nutty aroma as well.

This beer tastes like it smells. Coffee and chocolate. It has a nutty flavor as well. The roasted malt is also present in the flavor.

This beer is very smooth. Carbonation is low. It leaves a nutty coffee aftertaste.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It tastes good, and is not aggressive. Also, the alcohol content is pretty low.

Overall: Thanks to mentor for this beer. I really liked it. Lately I have been hard pressed to find a porter that was great. This one was. (743 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: Nice dark brownish amber, looking rich

Head: Dark tan

Smell: Roosted malts and caramel

Taste: Subtle coco with big burnt roosted malts

Weight: Medium to heavy body with medium to low carbonation

Finish: Roosted malts and the little coco sticks around for a bit (277 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours mahagany with 3 fingers of tan /sand colored head. Great lacing & pretty good head retention

S: Toasted malt, coffee, choclate & hints of iron

T: Choclate up front, then hints of iron. Slight hints of oak & dryness creeps in. Finishes dry with hints of molasess, brown sugar & choclate

MF: Smooth; almost silky with a medium body & perfect carbonation

Drinks very easy, I think I like this better in the bottle than draft, but will have to take some notes next time I have it on draft, classic american porter IMO (531 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a snifter, the liquid is plenty dark with good carbonation. It has a great looking dark tan head that fades fast leaving a bit of nice lace.

The smell is very good the dark roasted malt carries the aroma of coffee and dark chocolate.

The taste is excellent, this is the real deal. Man do I love this type of Porter, Lots of coffee, dark roasted espresso beans, some dark chocolate notes and a hint of top grade molasses. Yep this is quite a fine brew to be sure.

The mouthfeel is very good, better then medium body and a real nice fine bobble carbonation that dances on your tung.

The drinkability is excellent as I can not put down my glass.

Prosit, und Zum Wohl, MK (703 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

This is probably my favorite porter. Rich, smoky, roasty and very drinkable thanks to the low alcohol content. Goes great with beef dishes and is one of my go-to beers in the winter. Definitely give this beer a try, you will become a fan very quickly. (254 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium Globe.

This is a long time coming. As a former resident of Fort Collins, I've been drinking Odell's brews for quite some time but this classic I've just been drinking and enjoying but have never reviewed. Here it is. This beer pours a Cuban Coffee brown with a rich dark toffee head that leaves a substantial amount of lacing for a Porter. The aroma can only be described as decadent. Dark chocolate, mildly astringent espresso, heavy cream, hot chocolate and whipped cream. In most beers, when I say that the flavor is exactly the same as the aroma, it's almost a negative thing. Like they show all their cards before the hand is played, but with Odell Cutthroat Porter it exactly the opposite. This beer is beautiful. Its like a DDR party in my mouth. Milk chocolate, espresso, sweet cream, a hint of baker's chocolate and heaven. The mouthfeel is just a wee bit light for me. I wish there would be just a bit more body to it but honestly this is really just nit picking the beer. Odell's brewery has made, in my opinion, the best American Porter and possibly one of the best Porters produced in the world. (1,150 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Dark Horse pint glass.

A: Caramel brown 1 finger head hangs around seemingly forever. Deep brown body lets very little light through.

S: Chocolatey burnt malts dominate the nose, very pleasing, to say the least.

T: The nose does not lie on this one. Nice chocolate flavor all the way through. Maybe a little mollasses on the back to balance things out. Sweet and rich.

M: Full bodied mouthfeel. Tastebuds tingle all the way, front to back. I am really liking this beer!

D: It goes without saying the drinkability is VERY high and you could find yourself easily drinking 2 or 3 of these. Alas, let it warm up and savor all this Porter has to offer.

Overall, this is a wonderful example of the style, I only wish I had mor than a 6 pack to enjoy. Highly recommended and I will be seeking out more! (835 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Comes out dark brown, a little darker than a cola color, just obviously not the same carbonation look. After a rough pour, the head is crazy. A big frothy light brown/tannish color with incredible lacing to it. All the way around the glass and it sticks around for a bit.

Smell is incredible, sooo much going on here. Like many porters, it's very well malted. Chocolate and coffee notes with hints of vanilla butter. There's still some grain in the smell, an earthy hop aroma, like a sweet pine. I don't know if my description is really doing it justice, but it's really wonderful.

Taste is pretty close to on par with the smell. I read some reviews saying it tastes similar to a stout, I wouldn't agree or disagree, it's sort of in it's own class. Strong chocolate fudge and dark coffee flavors. Again there's also a vanilla taste in the middle there. Grain and earthy hops present, sort of a sweet pine flavor for some slight bitterness, exceptional tasting brew.

Mouthfeel is good, sort of a middle of the road, not to heavy and not to light, medium bodied. Perfect carbonation level, well balanced and perfectly smooth. Incredible drinkability, what a well done version of the American Porter.

Thank you chugalug06 for the bottle in a trade....there better be more of these in the future!!! (1,358 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance:
Pours a deep brown color, one shade shy of black and practically impregnable by light. A thick, delicate head sits on top of this fantastic looking beer with authority and rides the glass to the last drop, leaving plenty of lacing to remind you of what once was.

Aroma:
The aroma is ripe with rich, bitter cocoa and fresh coffee grounds. It's simple but delightful and begging for another whiff.

Taste:
Words describing the aroma can be said about the robust flavor. Rich, bitter chocolate reminiscent of a Lindt dark chocolate truffle. Roasted coffee and dark malt. The warmer this one gets, the more the bitterness shines through. For the style - it's perfection! A molasses sweetness is present but vague.

Mouthfeel:
Silky-smooth medium body, more stout than porter though. Otherwise beautifully executed. Carbonation is light but spot on for the style and the finish is a bit on the dry side.

Overall:
All in, this is a fantastic brew and lives up to the hype surrounding it. If you find it, I highly recommend grabbing it - I know I will be! (1,064 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance - Pours black with the slightest hint of brown at the edges. Solid rocky tan head, laces well.

Smell - This is a rather complex smell. Chocolate (cocoa,) heavily roasted malt, and vanilla jump out at first, but you can also smell a touch of hops as well as a couple other faint smells like coffee.

Taste - The roasted (almost burnt) malt jumps out immediately, right along with the chocolate. Other tastes are subdued, such as caramel, hops, ginger, coffee, even a touch of brown sugar.

Mouthfeel - Mildly heavy with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - This is my go-to beer. Fantastic, one of the reasons I love Odell's so much. (653 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Black, with just the slightest bit of transparency enough to see some of the bubbles. Small, creamy tan head that lingers despite it's small size. Good lacing down the glass. A dark, but very attractive porter.

Rich, chocolaty, roasted malts with some coffee undertones. Very complex and delicious from the smell of it.

Very much like the aroma - complex roasty malts with the coffee taking more of a front seat from a dark chocolate background. Just a little hint of hops to balance it out - maybe it could use just the slightest touch more and it would be totally perfect.

Moderate to light body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, and a little creamy, but thin as I expect a porter to be. Very true to style and very nice.

A really excellent porter. Not my favorite, but definitely up there with the greats as a super tasty, light, balanced, and perfect example of the style. (885 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Poured a very dark brown, almost non-translucent with tan 1 and 1/2 finger head which fell within a minute into a fine foam cap with a decent webbing pattern.

Smell: A strong roast presence, chocolates, coffee, a hint of toffee. Sweet, robust, subtle.

Taste: The beginning gives the sweetness of the malts, hints of chocolate; the middle dives into all of the flavors and climaxes the roasted malts and carries an unexpected bitterness; the end soothes back into a subtle sweet coffee, toffee, dark chocolate mix.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but chewy. A nice thickness.

Overall: This is on my top two for porters. Such a robust and well crafted brew. (660 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

This is a special review for me. Let me tell you a quick story to start out. Before my legal drinking age, beer was foreign to me. My first brew, Crazy Stallion, made me think of piss. A Blue Moon and a Fat Tire gave me only a bit of hope for beer. But during that time, it was liquor 99% of the time, and crappy keg stuff the other 1%. Probably around the time I was 20, I was making a list of stuff that I wanted for one of my older friends. I had heard that these porter and stout beers tasted like chocolate, or something like that. It sounded really cool, so I searched around on the web and found this beer, Cutthroat Porter, so I added it at the end of the order. Let me tell you, the moment this stuff hit my lips, I was hooked. Maybe not quite the chocolate I expected, but it was good none-the-less. Shortly after, I found my way to Beer Advocate, looking at all the crazy beers like Arrogant Bastard,just thinking of what I could have when I turned 21.

3 years later, this beer pours a solid black with an off white head of one finger. Decent head retention and a bit of lacing. Looks nice.

Smell starts out coffee when cold with toffee poking through as it warms. Again, very nice.

Taste is a complex bitter dark chocolate, day old coffee, toffee/caramel sweetness, and a bit of hop. Damn good.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick, but is cut nicely with carbonation. It works very well.

Clocking at 4.8 (according to label, not BA) ABV, this beer is something you can session. The complex flavor, and light alcohol, make an exceptionally drinkable brew. This is, in my opinion, the gold standard for American Porter. It will always hold a special place in my heart and liver. (1,686 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Fantastic, yet standard, porter form Odell brewing. Picked this sixer up in Fort Collins, Colorado and brought a couple bottles back to Minnesota as a stellar example of an American porter. Pours beautifully into a Odell Cutthroat Porter pint glass. Opaque black color with brown highlights and a cream colored, rocky, velvety head with good lacing. The smell is nutty, yeasty and full of coffee and chocolate. The taste is wonderful, with milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee, and nutty flavors with some dark fruits and a juicy hop bite. The mouthfeel is full and creamy, with velvety carbonation. What I particularly like is the absence of sourness present in so many more pedestrian porters. Fantastically drinkable, would be great cold on a summer day or cellar temperature any other time of year. (804 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

On-tap in a 12oz pint glass (Denver, CO):

Appeared a very nice rich looking black with a tan head that was very thick and creamy. The head was retained nicely with a small thin cap settling in over the entire beer. The beer also had a nice lacing effect.

The aroma was roasted malt with a hint of hop. There is also very subtle notes of coffee and chocolate, but very subtle and the roasted malt really dominates. Very well done.

The taste is excellent, a nice big malt flavor with again only a hint of hops. This one follows the nose exactly; but is a bit stronger than the nose lets on.

The beer had a medium body with good carbonation. The beer was extremely drinkable, smooth, and creamy. Overall a top notch beer and possibly one of the best porters that I have had to date. (784 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Sometimes you don't want to mess around with flavored porters. Sometimes you want a smooth and somewhat robust Porter that's traditional and satisfying. Look no further because this is the Porter for you. As the description says, it's definitely not a stout and is a straight shooting Porter that will satisfy any beer snobs palette. Smooth mouthfeel, dark and robust flavor, I want one now that I'm writing this review. Go out and get yourself one. (449 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.2%

Another pick from my girlfriend(she picks the new beers now).

A: very dark in color, pretty much black with a small tan head.

S: At first the smell had a winy alcohol smell but mellowed out to coffee and chocolate with a smoky forefront.

T: A+ Smoky taste with coco hints. Very smooth on the palette.

This is another amazing beer that my girlfriend picked out. It has an amazingly strong flavor but not overpoweringly bitter or malty. Smooth!!! I consider this a session beer for myself. Relatively low ABV and for people who like to drink craft brews and porters!! GREAT BEER ODELL BREWING COMPANY!!! (606 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Drank this in a pint-style glass from the bottle w/ 9/28/10 as the date on the side. Pours w/ a 1 finger mocha-head that remains for awhile. The color is what is expected of a porter, dark w/ a hint of reddish-black on the edges. The head quickly reappears after a small swirl, also. Lacing is noticeable as the head recedes. The smell, again, is what is expected of a porter. It has chocolate, coffee, and a hint of licorice. Nothing is overwhelming about this beer, though. It isn't too much of anything, and I like that. The taste is black, chocolate, and possibly coffee malt. Again, it is just right. This beer might become one of my staples, if I can find it nearby in SoCal. In fact, I think that I will have another w/ some rosemary and garlic potatoes. (761 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +12.5%

Acquired via trade from timbro81, so a big Thank You goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is roasted coffee and dark malts, intense but straight-forward and very pleasant.

T: The taste is creamy and malty with flavors of black coffee and vanilla. There's a very mild but quite complimentary hops presence that helps give a nice balance. There's not much else going on here but I like it for its simplicity. The after-taste is slightly smoky and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean for a style that is usually a little sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, decent kick, excellent representation of style, this one is definitely up there among my favorite porters, it's one that I could drink quite a few of over the course of an evening. (995 characters)

Odell Cutthroat Porter from Odell Brewing Company