Odell Cutthroat Porter - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-19-2001

Not quite a stout but definitely no lightweight, Cutthroat Porter is smooth and robust. Inspired by the classic London porters, we use dark roasted malts to create a deep, rich color and flavor that hint at chocolate and coffee. We named it Cutthroat Porter as our tribute to the Colorado state fish – with its own rich heritage and unmistakable dark coloring. And while we’re big fans of small batches, here’s to the currently threatened Cutthroat population reaching mass quantities.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell Cutthroat Porter Alström Bros

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very dark brown edging toward and possibly into black, this porter also has a red hue to it. A soft-looking but clearly strong tan head easily reaches one finger tall and a but more. Retention is good and lacing is left in nicely thick patches.
On the nose, a nice strong roast leads into exactly what the label promises: hints of chocolate and coffee. There's something a little creamy in there, almost buttery, with a slightly nutty something. There's a good strength to it as well as balance, nothing overdone but with plenty of depth. A ghost of toasted barley sneaks in under the other notes here.
Not all of the complexity translates to the flavor, but this is a very good porter. There's just a bit of bitterness that speaks of floral hops along with the big, roasty malt. There's no acridity or harsh edge.
Crispness gives just enough without going overboard for the style, while moderate carbonation is consistent. It gets quite a nice smoothness to it overall.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle pours opaque black with good tannish head and lacing. Good meaty and smokey porter aroma. Taste is dark roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and a hint of bacon. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with a drying finish. I have a fondness for porters and this one is very well done.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle dated 6/1/13B. This was my wedding day, and the beer was picked up on my honeymoon in Colorado... Better ask the wife i I have to keep this bottle.

I got a finger of tan head over a deep dark brown body. A thin froth stays up top, and lacing readily clings to the side.

I smell toffee, coffee, roasted malt and chocolate.

Taste is to the nose, with a hint of dark fruit up front, and a taste of roasted nuts near the end.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied. It coats slightly and finishes slightly dry.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep ruby color almost black. About 2 fingers of tan foamy head leaving excellent lacing.

S - Pretty much what you would expect in a porter, coffee, roasted chocolate malts.

T - Lots of coffee and sweet chocolate malts, maybe a tad bit of dark fruit. Extremely pleasant and very drinkable.

M - Extremely smooth and perfect carbonation.

O - This is a pretty awesome beer lots of taste however the smooth feel and drink-ability made me want another after I drank the first one so fast.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

4.05/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rich cola brown and black body sits belowbig thick tan head of multisized but mainly tiny ickle bubbles

Not much of an aroma, but pleasant enough some coffee & chocolate but funnily enough of the milk variety and molasses but it was nose right up to the head.

Big coffee flavours that occupy the tongue, plenty of depth in there with a slight sweetness. Some dark fruit, not much in the way of bitterness.

Today apparently is the hottest day in 30 years and so the easy drinking nature,
which was hinted at on the bottle, has been most welcomed.

Great carbonation, just a gentle fizz to help it go down

a good sessionable dark beer that clearly knows which way the tide flows

4.13/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

We are doing a late night beer review tonight. We have had an evening filled with beer, really. After work I headed to Four Peaks Brewing Company to meet Erick, a guy from San Diego. He was in the Valley for a baseball tournament, and we were in the middle of a beer trade. Rather than ship the stuff, he just delivered it. We talked about beer, shared a few pints, and headed to Fate Brewing Company for more beer! It was a GREAT time, and I really enjoyed meeting him. He handed us six bottles from our list, and I will be talking about Erick more as we review those bottles.

Some beer that he can't get in San Diego comes from Odell Brewing Company. I bought him a Lugene and explained the process of mixing the stuff with marshmallow puff vodka. We talked about all the beer, and I knew we had the Cutthroat Porter in the fridge just begging to be reviewed. It made sense to review that tonight in homage of meeting Erick. This beer has some insane reviews on BeerAdvocate, so I have some high hops. Let's drink. Cheers!

In the Glass: This beer is pitch black and is producing a nice creamy tan head. The lace on this is pretty impressive, too. When I swirl this around the glass, the beer just clings to the side. That is a sign of a great beer! I like Odell. Pretty much everything I have had from Odell is good. I am sure this one is no exception.

Nose: The nose is nice, but not as impressive as I expected it to be. There is some subtle metallic notes coming through, and a hint… I mean a HINT of chocolate creeping in there toward the end. I am sure that chocolate aroma will really open up as the beer heats up. I just grabbed this from the fridge. Oh, and good job, Sheryl. I asked for glasses and she actually got them! Good work! Time to drink.

Flavor: Now THAT is what a porter should taste like. Man, there is so much going on here. If I have had this before, I don't remember it being this good. I mean, from the second this beer hits your lips I am satisfied. I will break down the mouthfeel, but that is the best part. Then, as you swallow, more flavors explode across your palate. The finish is great, too. I am getting some of those subtle sweet notes toward the back of my palate, and the bubbles really open up producing a nice drying finish. I don't recommend moving this around in your mouth much. The bubbles will overwhelm.

Man, for the price that is one delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is creamy and has a nice pillow thing going on. As the beer begins to heat up, the bubbles calm down a little and you are left with a flavor that just covers your tongue. The more of this I drink the more I like the aftertaste. I wish more porters tasted like this. I bet this would be a GREAT food beer, too. Imagine pairing this with chili or burgers. Yummy!

Aftertaste: I didn't expect the finish on this to be dry, but this is more dry than most Irish stouts I have had. Even beers that promise a dry finish don't deliver. This one doesn't say anything about being dry on the bottle, but leaves you with a nice somewhat refreshing dryness in the finish. The burp on this is nice, too. I might still be getting some hops from the Double Oatmeal IPA that I had at Fate, but the burp didn't disappoint.

If you like porters as a general style, then you have got to try this. This is one of the better examples of this style I have had in a long time. I will say that it's hot outside, and a porter might not be your first beer of choice. However, this is a great offering from a seemingly legendary brewing company. Well done, Odell. Cheers!

Odell Cutthroat Porter from Odell Brewing Company