Join our email list →

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

American Porter | 5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-19-2001

Not quite a stout but definitely no lightweight, Cutthroat Porter is smooth and robust. Inspired by the classic London porters, we use dark roasted malts to create a deep, rich color and flavor that hint at chocolate and coffee. We named it Cutthroat Porter as our tribute to the Colorado state fish – with its own rich heritage and unmistakable dark coloring. And while we’re big fans of small batches, here’s to the currently threatened Cutthroat population reaching mass quantities.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell Cutthroat Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 395 | Hads: 1,141
3.81/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Beautiful. Thick, chunky off-white head. Pours black, with dark ruby highlights. Head sticks around right till the end. Little bit of lacing clinging to the glass.

S: Roast coffee, with a creamy kind of sweetness. Little bit of dark chocolate. A little too sharp for my liking, but still inviting.

T: Roasty and bitter. A bit of a smokey quality that lingers even after swallowing.

M: Much thinner than something like an Imperial Stout, but not quit aqueous. Moderate-high carbonation. Lots of bubbles. Really easy drinking.

O: A porter for the stout lover. This beer is perfect for those times that a stout might be a bit much, but you still want that roasty stout flavor. I love grabbing this one when I want a beer with dinner.

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle very dark brown with a slightly tan 1 finger head. Can pick up hints of good roast coffee smell. Head dissipates relatively quickly to a thin ring that has pretty good lacing in the glass. Medium carbonation. Has a medium-heavy mouthfeel, that sticks with you for a while like a good stout should. I get a slight bitter chocolate on the front with a nice semi-dry roasted coffee on the back. Very nice example of an American porter that most stout lovers will enjoy.

4.94/5  rDev +21.1%

Odell Cutthroat Porter pours a pitch black color with a long lasting and lacing head. There is a nice roasted aroma, lots of coffee aromas as well. The taste is very robust, strong and creamy roasted malts, with good hints of coffee and chocolate. Full body, full flavors. Overall a world class porter, fantastic flavors, one of the best out there.

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Gotta thank my cousin for sending me this from CO.

A- Out of the bottle this Porter fills my tulip with a black ale. You can tell while pouring it isn't motor oil thick like an RIS but black is accurate. A creamy tan head forms with decent retention. Frothy ring ends up leaving a super webbed drapery of lace all over the glass.

S- Deep dark roasted malts off the top reminiscent of Left Hand Milk Stout for me. Good notes of dark cocoa powder, black grains, coffee and toasted nutty malts. Nice and clean with strong roast aromatics.

T- The roasted malts from the aroma carry over here with a nice showcasing of cocoa powder, dark grain, nutty and coffee notes. Some dark fruit, toffee and molasses hints as well as slight hops, floral and citrus, in the finish.

MF- The aroma and taste reminded me of some good stouts but the body feels more like Porter. The carbonation is high with a creamy and foamy texture overall. Not light bodied but not of moderate thickness either, somewhere in between but no where near watery.

I would certainly have this again given the chance. The depth of the roast malt usage is quite nice but it is not super decadent like a lot of Stouts and dark beers nowadays. Drinks and refreshes while maintaining a dark roast flavor.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer is near black with a dense khaki head. Plenty of lacing coats the walls of the pint glass. The aroma brings chocolate, roast, hints of vanilla and perhaps a touch of coffee. Really smooth and easy drinking. Light chocolate and roast. It would be easy to go through a few of these in a session. A solid example of the style. Tasty.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very dark brown edging toward and possibly into black, this porter also has a red hue to it. A soft-looking but clearly strong tan head easily reaches one finger tall and a but more. Retention is good and lacing is left in nicely thick patches.
On the nose, a nice strong roast leads into exactly what the label promises: hints of chocolate and coffee. There's something a little creamy in there, almost buttery, with a slightly nutty something. There's a good strength to it as well as balance, nothing overdone but with plenty of depth. A ghost of toasted barley sneaks in under the other notes here.
Not all of the complexity translates to the flavor, but this is a very good porter. There's just a bit of bitterness that speaks of floral hops along with the big, roasty malt. There's no acridity or harsh edge.
Crispness gives just enough without going overboard for the style, while moderate carbonation is consistent. It gets quite a nice smoothness to it overall.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle pours opaque black with good tannish head and lacing. Good meaty and smokey porter aroma. Taste is dark roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and a hint of bacon. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with a drying finish. I have a fondness for porters and this one is very well done.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle dated 6/1/13B. This was my wedding day, and the beer was picked up on my honeymoon in Colorado... Better ask the wife i I have to keep this bottle.

I got a finger of tan head over a deep dark brown body. A thin froth stays up top, and lacing readily clings to the side.

I smell toffee, coffee, roasted malt and chocolate.

Taste is to the nose, with a hint of dark fruit up front, and a taste of roasted nuts near the end.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied. It coats slightly and finishes slightly dry.

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep ruby color almost black. About 2 fingers of tan foamy head leaving excellent lacing.

S - Pretty much what you would expect in a porter, coffee, roasted chocolate malts.

T - Lots of coffee and sweet chocolate malts, maybe a tad bit of dark fruit. Extremely pleasant and very drinkable.

M - Extremely smooth and perfect carbonation.

O - This is a pretty awesome beer lots of taste however the smooth feel and drink-ability made me want another after I drank the first one so fast.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rich cola brown and black body sits belowbig thick tan head of multisized but mainly tiny ickle bubbles

Not much of an aroma, but pleasant enough some coffee & chocolate but funnily enough of the milk variety and molasses but it was nose right up to the head.

Big coffee flavours that occupy the tongue, plenty of depth in there with a slight sweetness. Some dark fruit, not much in the way of bitterness.

Today apparently is the hottest day in 30 years and so the easy drinking nature,
which was hinted at on the bottle, has been most welcomed.

Great carbonation, just a gentle fizz to help it go down

a good sessionable dark beer that clearly knows which way the tide flows

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

We are doing a late night beer review tonight. We have had an evening filled with beer, really. After work I headed to Four Peaks Brewing Company to meet Erick, a guy from San Diego. He was in the Valley for a baseball tournament, and we were in the middle of a beer trade. Rather than ship the stuff, he just delivered it. We talked about beer, shared a few pints, and headed to Fate Brewing Company for more beer! It was a GREAT time, and I really enjoyed meeting him. He handed us six bottles from our list, and I will be talking about Erick more as we review those bottles.

Some beer that he can't get in San Diego comes from Odell Brewing Company. I bought him a Lugene and explained the process of mixing the stuff with marshmallow puff vodka. We talked about all the beer, and I knew we had the Cutthroat Porter in the fridge just begging to be reviewed. It made sense to review that tonight in homage of meeting Erick. This beer has some insane reviews on BeerAdvocate, so I have some high hops. Let's drink. Cheers!

In the Glass: This beer is pitch black and is producing a nice creamy tan head. The lace on this is pretty impressive, too. When I swirl this around the glass, the beer just clings to the side. That is a sign of a great beer! I like Odell. Pretty much everything I have had from Odell is good. I am sure this one is no exception.

Nose: The nose is nice, but not as impressive as I expected it to be. There is some subtle metallic notes coming through, and a hint… I mean a HINT of chocolate creeping in there toward the end. I am sure that chocolate aroma will really open up as the beer heats up. I just grabbed this from the fridge. Oh, and good job, Sheryl. I asked for glasses and she actually got them! Good work! Time to drink.

Flavor: Now THAT is what a porter should taste like. Man, there is so much going on here. If I have had this before, I don't remember it being this good. I mean, from the second this beer hits your lips I am satisfied. I will break down the mouthfeel, but that is the best part. Then, as you swallow, more flavors explode across your palate. The finish is great, too. I am getting some of those subtle sweet notes toward the back of my palate, and the bubbles really open up producing a nice drying finish. I don't recommend moving this around in your mouth much. The bubbles will overwhelm.

Man, for the price that is one delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is creamy and has a nice pillow thing going on. As the beer begins to heat up, the bubbles calm down a little and you are left with a flavor that just covers your tongue. The more of this I drink the more I like the aftertaste. I wish more porters tasted like this. I bet this would be a GREAT food beer, too. Imagine pairing this with chili or burgers. Yummy!

Aftertaste: I didn't expect the finish on this to be dry, but this is more dry than most Irish stouts I have had. Even beers that promise a dry finish don't deliver. This one doesn't say anything about being dry on the bottle, but leaves you with a nice somewhat refreshing dryness in the finish. The burp on this is nice, too. I might still be getting some hops from the Double Oatmeal IPA that I had at Fate, but the burp didn't disappoint.

If you like porters as a general style, then you have got to try this. This is one of the better examples of this style I have had in a long time. I will say that it's hot outside, and a porter might not be your first beer of choice. However, this is a great offering from a seemingly legendary brewing company. Well done, Odell. Cheers!

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%

12 fluid oz. dated 9/12/11 ap: subsiding head, dark reddish brown. sm: vinous, chocolaty. ta: confirms smell. Deeply fruity. mo: thin-medium,, thin-oily texture carbonation average. ov: very pleasant, fruity porter. Different to many british porters which emphasise roasted malts.

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Black, with just the slightest bit of transparency enough to see some of the bubbles. Small, creamy tan head that lingers despite it's small size. Good lacing down the glass. A dark, but very attractive porter.

Rich, chocolaty, roasted malts with some coffee undertones. Very complex and delicious from the smell of it.

Very much like the aroma - complex roasty malts with the coffee taking more of a front seat from a dark chocolate background. Just a little hint of hops to balance it out - maybe it could use just the slightest touch more and it would be totally perfect.

Moderate to light body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, and a little creamy, but thin as I expect a porter to be. Very true to style and very nice.

A really excellent porter. Not my favorite, but definitely up there with the greats as a super tasty, light, balanced, and perfect example of the style.

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle in pint:

Lots of chocolate and dark malts in the nose, as well as something less pleasant. There’s a touch of charcoal in the taste but not as much as the nose suggested. Hints of toasted dark bread, with some coffee in the finish.

Very dark brown with pillowing dark tan head. Loads of lacing gets left on the glass.

Medium-full body, with well-chosen soft carbonation. Very smooth.

O: a pretty good porter, particularly if you like porters that are loaded with dark malts and use hops just for bittering.

4.69/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Poured a very dark brown, almost non-translucent with tan 1 and 1/2 finger head which fell within a minute into a fine foam cap with a decent webbing pattern.

Smell: A strong roast presence, chocolates, coffee, a hint of toffee. Sweet, robust, subtle.

Taste: The beginning gives the sweetness of the malts, hints of chocolate; the middle dives into all of the flavors and climaxes the roasted malts and carries an unexpected bitterness; the end soothes back into a subtle sweet coffee, toffee, dark chocolate mix.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but chewy. A nice thickness.

Overall: This is on my top two for porters. Such a robust and well crafted brew.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

A-dark brown color with a light tan head and decent lacing

S-dark roasted malt, espresso, chocolate, earthy

T-espresso, chocolate, dark roasted malt, slight smokiness/char, mild to moderate bitterness in the finish

F-light to medium body with moderate carbonation, slightly creamy and smooth

O-a nice solid porter with great flavor, wish it had a little more body

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Brought back from Denver by a very good friend. Poured into a HF glass at about 40 degrees and let to warm throughout.

A: Dark brown, light tan head, 1 finger, some retention/lacing

S: Wow, quite aromatic coffee and dark chocolate with roasty malts. Very nice!

T: Coffee and chocolate with bitter malts are quite nice even when served cold. Even better when it warms.

M: Medium body, wet throughout the taste but a little dry on the finish, carbonation is medium and the beer on the whole is pretty smooth.

O: I'm a big fan of this porter. Reminds me a lot of Edmund Fitzgerald, might even be better. Doesn't try to do anything special, but really nails exactly what a porter should be. Love it!

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an oversized wineglass. Best by 051213 on label. Purchased as a single by my brother Greg for $1.99.

A: Black with 1-2 finger beige colored rocky head with good retention and plenty of lacing.

S: Big chocolate and roast aromas meet dark maltiness with a little stone fruit flavor along with raisin, caramel, and toffee. Hoppiness is low-medium for the style with some herbal hoppiness in there.

T: Great classic porter flavor that comes down slightly more on the sweet side with chocolate, black coffee, and roast meeting delicious light caramel and herbal hoppiness. Dark chocolate is the strongest flavor with dark maltiness and roast playing strong supporting roles.

M: Smooth and silky with excellent drinkability, medium body and low carbonation.

O: A superb AMerican porter which serves both your sweet tooth and appetite for roast. A great classic American porter.

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

This is not a bad tasting beer for some beers lovers but this is not not a porter with great qualities.

I poured this porter into a nice little chalice. This is not a black black porter. Cutthroat is dark but a little thin texture, which is expected in a porter, but also in color. Looking down I can see a lot of brown, darker brown. The head was a little soft even after a pretty hard pour.

The aromas were exceedingly average.

The taste is good. It's not that sweet and I personally like sweet so I compromise and gave it a 3 average. Cut Throat is heavy on coffee with a bakers chocolate. A little malty. A little sweet, but weighs more on the bitters. Could be a great taste for the dry side beer lovers. Just not me so I rate the taste as having good quality, but a 4 for me.

The texture is a little too fizzy my preference. I won't compromise. I find it it somewhat hard to swallow. LOW MARKS!

This porter is built for some wonderful Australian electronic music. I would prefer LAWRENCE ENGLISH "KIRI NO OTO"

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

This poured out as a nice deep brown color with a light tan head on top. The lacing is great just like many other Odell brews, there is also a solid retention as well. The smell of the beer has an earthy roasted aroma with some chocolate aroma and grass in there. The taste of the beer is chocolaty with a earthy bitterness and yeasty finish. The mouthfeel of the beer was medium bodied and smooth, nicely carbonated as well. Overall this beer is very nice, great sessionable porter, well worth looking into.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured from 12 oz bottle that was bottled on 12/26/12 into pint glass. Extremely dark brown, near black. Looked like a cola almost. 2 finger tan head with fantastic lacing and retention. Perfect carbonation for a porter.

S- Tones of smoke, chocolate, bark, and even a soy aroma.

T- Flavor really follows nose perfectly. The chocolate and coffee really hit you and then a nice roasted malt finish. Very smooth. Good smoky flavor. Everything you want from a porter.

M- Medium bodied. A little on the thin side, but very drinkable.

O- Just an absolutely delicious porter. One of the best i have had. Seems to lose some of its intensity as i was finishing the glass, but still great. The body and roasted flavors are perfect for a cool evening. Top tier porter.

$9.99 for 6 pk

A - Pours a completely opaque midnight black. Maybe a fingers worth of big bubbly light tan foam. Leaves lots of spotty lacing against the glass.

S - The nose is full round and most of all roasty. Notes of oily espresso, coffee grinds, charcoal, and a whiff of smoke are quite potent. hints of chocolate shavings round out the aroma.

T - the flavor follows the nose. notes of dark bread with a hint of sweetness up front. The roast is prominent but more char and hints of coffee. There is a touch of chocolate as well. Very roasty on the the finish but it is rather quick.

M - well rounded medium bodied. medium carbonation with a big bubbly presance.

O - a really nice dark ale. Yet another reason odell is just a top notch brewery.

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

It poured a finger and half of tan head on a dark brown body.
The aroma is roasted malt, chocolate and nuts.
A roasted malt flavor to start, mild bitter in the middle, a short finish though.
It has a fizzy texture with moderate carbonation and medium body.
This beer looked great and smelled nice but the taste was pretty average. Easy to drink though.

16oz pint glass, on-tap.

A: Nearly opaque brown with red highlights; wonderful spiderweb lacing.

S: Initially coffee and roasted malts; hints of an earthy spice hop is well integrated as the beer warms. Chocolate...faint herbal note, or even cinnamon possibly? Toasted nuttiness, suggestion of charcoal in the roast.

T: Really in line with the nose, smooth roast and malt presence abounds. Tingly hop notes compete with a malty sweet chocolate center; its faint, but its there. Espresso and rugged roast, again faint charcoal, and hints of molasses all meld effortlessly into a moderately stout-like American Porter.

MF: Creamy smooth medium body with moderate carbonation. Drinkable.

O: Surprised by this one, I'm not sure I've tried it before and I've seemed to always pass it over since Odells arrived in the area last year. Good stuff for the porter lovers.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle with the date easy to read on the label. I got a 1 1/2 finger head that dissipates quickly.

A: Pours black and opaque. The head dissipates quickly. There is plenty of nice lacing that really sticks.

S: I smeel roasted coffee and roasted malts.

T: Taste follows smell: big coffee taste...sweet coffee.

M: This beer goes down smooth. Medium to thick-bodied.

O: I like this beer. However, the first sips are by far the best. It seems to me that it loses character toward the middle and into the finish. It is a good beer, though.

Odell Cutthroat Porter from Odell Brewing Company