Odell Cutthroat Porter - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-19-2001

Not quite a stout but definitely no lightweight, Cutthroat Porter is smooth and robust. Inspired by the classic London porters, we use dark roasted malts to create a deep, rich color and flavor that hint at chocolate and coffee. We named it Cutthroat Porter as our tribute to the Colorado state fish – with its own rich heritage and unmistakable dark coloring. And while we’re big fans of small batches, here’s to the currently threatened Cutthroat population reaching mass quantities.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell Cutthroat Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 387 | Hads: 1,109
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep ruby color almost black. About 2 fingers of tan foamy head leaving excellent lacing.

S - Pretty much what you would expect in a porter, coffee, roasted chocolate malts.

T - Lots of coffee and sweet chocolate malts, maybe a tad bit of dark fruit. Extremely pleasant and very drinkable.

M - Extremely smooth and perfect carbonation.

O - This is a pretty awesome beer lots of taste however the smooth feel and drink-ability made me want another after I drank the first one so fast.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rich cola brown and black body sits belowbig thick tan head of multisized but mainly tiny ickle bubbles

Not much of an aroma, but pleasant enough some coffee & chocolate but funnily enough of the milk variety and molasses but it was nose right up to the head.

Big coffee flavours that occupy the tongue, plenty of depth in there with a slight sweetness. Some dark fruit, not much in the way of bitterness.

Today apparently is the hottest day in 30 years and so the easy drinking nature,
which was hinted at on the bottle, has been most welcomed.

Great carbonation, just a gentle fizz to help it go down

a good sessionable dark beer that clearly knows which way the tide flows

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

We are doing a late night beer review tonight. We have had an evening filled with beer, really. After work I headed to Four Peaks Brewing Company to meet Erick, a guy from San Diego. He was in the Valley for a baseball tournament, and we were in the middle of a beer trade. Rather than ship the stuff, he just delivered it. We talked about beer, shared a few pints, and headed to Fate Brewing Company for more beer! It was a GREAT time, and I really enjoyed meeting him. He handed us six bottles from our list, and I will be talking about Erick more as we review those bottles.

Some beer that he can't get in San Diego comes from Odell Brewing Company. I bought him a Lugene and explained the process of mixing the stuff with marshmallow puff vodka. We talked about all the beer, and I knew we had the Cutthroat Porter in the fridge just begging to be reviewed. It made sense to review that tonight in homage of meeting Erick. This beer has some insane reviews on BeerAdvocate, so I have some high hops. Let's drink. Cheers!

In the Glass: This beer is pitch black and is producing a nice creamy tan head. The lace on this is pretty impressive, too. When I swirl this around the glass, the beer just clings to the side. That is a sign of a great beer! I like Odell. Pretty much everything I have had from Odell is good. I am sure this one is no exception.

Nose: The nose is nice, but not as impressive as I expected it to be. There is some subtle metallic notes coming through, and a hint… I mean a HINT of chocolate creeping in there toward the end. I am sure that chocolate aroma will really open up as the beer heats up. I just grabbed this from the fridge. Oh, and good job, Sheryl. I asked for glasses and she actually got them! Good work! Time to drink.

Flavor: Now THAT is what a porter should taste like. Man, there is so much going on here. If I have had this before, I don't remember it being this good. I mean, from the second this beer hits your lips I am satisfied. I will break down the mouthfeel, but that is the best part. Then, as you swallow, more flavors explode across your palate. The finish is great, too. I am getting some of those subtle sweet notes toward the back of my palate, and the bubbles really open up producing a nice drying finish. I don't recommend moving this around in your mouth much. The bubbles will overwhelm.

Man, for the price that is one delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is creamy and has a nice pillow thing going on. As the beer begins to heat up, the bubbles calm down a little and you are left with a flavor that just covers your tongue. The more of this I drink the more I like the aftertaste. I wish more porters tasted like this. I bet this would be a GREAT food beer, too. Imagine pairing this with chili or burgers. Yummy!

Aftertaste: I didn't expect the finish on this to be dry, but this is more dry than most Irish stouts I have had. Even beers that promise a dry finish don't deliver. This one doesn't say anything about being dry on the bottle, but leaves you with a nice somewhat refreshing dryness in the finish. The burp on this is nice, too. I might still be getting some hops from the Double Oatmeal IPA that I had at Fate, but the burp didn't disappoint.

If you like porters as a general style, then you have got to try this. This is one of the better examples of this style I have had in a long time. I will say that it's hot outside, and a porter might not be your first beer of choice. However, this is a great offering from a seemingly legendary brewing company. Well done, Odell. Cheers!

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%

12 fluid oz. dated 9/12/11 ap: subsiding head, dark reddish brown. sm: vinous, chocolaty. ta: confirms smell. Deeply fruity. mo: thin-medium,, thin-oily texture carbonation average. ov: very pleasant, fruity porter. Different to many british porters which emphasise roasted malts.

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Black, with just the slightest bit of transparency enough to see some of the bubbles. Small, creamy tan head that lingers despite it's small size. Good lacing down the glass. A dark, but very attractive porter.

Rich, chocolaty, roasted malts with some coffee undertones. Very complex and delicious from the smell of it.

Very much like the aroma - complex roasty malts with the coffee taking more of a front seat from a dark chocolate background. Just a little hint of hops to balance it out - maybe it could use just the slightest touch more and it would be totally perfect.

Moderate to light body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, and a little creamy, but thin as I expect a porter to be. Very true to style and very nice.

A really excellent porter. Not my favorite, but definitely up there with the greats as a super tasty, light, balanced, and perfect example of the style.

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle in pint:

Lots of chocolate and dark malts in the nose, as well as something less pleasant. There’s a touch of charcoal in the taste but not as much as the nose suggested. Hints of toasted dark bread, with some coffee in the finish.

Very dark brown with pillowing dark tan head. Loads of lacing gets left on the glass.

Medium-full body, with well-chosen soft carbonation. Very smooth.

O: a pretty good porter, particularly if you like porters that are loaded with dark malts and use hops just for bittering.

4.69/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Poured a very dark brown, almost non-translucent with tan 1 and 1/2 finger head which fell within a minute into a fine foam cap with a decent webbing pattern.

Smell: A strong roast presence, chocolates, coffee, a hint of toffee. Sweet, robust, subtle.

Taste: The beginning gives the sweetness of the malts, hints of chocolate; the middle dives into all of the flavors and climaxes the roasted malts and carries an unexpected bitterness; the end soothes back into a subtle sweet coffee, toffee, dark chocolate mix.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but chewy. A nice thickness.

Overall: This is on my top two for porters. Such a robust and well crafted brew.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

A-dark brown color with a light tan head and decent lacing

S-dark roasted malt, espresso, chocolate, earthy

T-espresso, chocolate, dark roasted malt, slight smokiness/char, mild to moderate bitterness in the finish

F-light to medium body with moderate carbonation, slightly creamy and smooth

O-a nice solid porter with great flavor, wish it had a little more body

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Brought back from Denver by a very good friend. Poured into a HF glass at about 40 degrees and let to warm throughout.

A: Dark brown, light tan head, 1 finger, some retention/lacing

S: Wow, quite aromatic coffee and dark chocolate with roasty malts. Very nice!

T: Coffee and chocolate with bitter malts are quite nice even when served cold. Even better when it warms.

M: Medium body, wet throughout the taste but a little dry on the finish, carbonation is medium and the beer on the whole is pretty smooth.

O: I'm a big fan of this porter. Reminds me a lot of Edmund Fitzgerald, might even be better. Doesn't try to do anything special, but really nails exactly what a porter should be. Love it!

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an oversized wineglass. Best by 051213 on label. Purchased as a single by my brother Greg for $1.99.

A: Black with 1-2 finger beige colored rocky head with good retention and plenty of lacing.

S: Big chocolate and roast aromas meet dark maltiness with a little stone fruit flavor along with raisin, caramel, and toffee. Hoppiness is low-medium for the style with some herbal hoppiness in there.

T: Great classic porter flavor that comes down slightly more on the sweet side with chocolate, black coffee, and roast meeting delicious light caramel and herbal hoppiness. Dark chocolate is the strongest flavor with dark maltiness and roast playing strong supporting roles.

M: Smooth and silky with excellent drinkability, medium body and low carbonation.

O: A superb AMerican porter which serves both your sweet tooth and appetite for roast. A great classic American porter.

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

This is not a bad tasting beer for some beers lovers but this is not not a porter with great qualities.

I poured this porter into a nice little chalice. This is not a black black porter. Cutthroat is dark but a little thin texture, which is expected in a porter, but also in color. Looking down I can see a lot of brown, darker brown. The head was a little soft even after a pretty hard pour.

The aromas were exceedingly average.

The taste is good. It's not that sweet and I personally like sweet so I compromise and gave it a 3 average. Cut Throat is heavy on coffee with a bakers chocolate. A little malty. A little sweet, but weighs more on the bitters. Could be a great taste for the dry side beer lovers. Just not me so I rate the taste as having good quality, but a 4 for me.

The texture is a little too fizzy my preference. I won't compromise. I find it it somewhat hard to swallow. LOW MARKS!

This porter is built for some wonderful Australian electronic music. I would prefer LAWRENCE ENGLISH "KIRI NO OTO"

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

This poured out as a nice deep brown color with a light tan head on top. The lacing is great just like many other Odell brews, there is also a solid retention as well. The smell of the beer has an earthy roasted aroma with some chocolate aroma and grass in there. The taste of the beer is chocolaty with a earthy bitterness and yeasty finish. The mouthfeel of the beer was medium bodied and smooth, nicely carbonated as well. Overall this beer is very nice, great sessionable porter, well worth looking into.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured from 12 oz bottle that was bottled on 12/26/12 into pint glass. Extremely dark brown, near black. Looked like a cola almost. 2 finger tan head with fantastic lacing and retention. Perfect carbonation for a porter.

S- Tones of smoke, chocolate, bark, and even a soy aroma.

T- Flavor really follows nose perfectly. The chocolate and coffee really hit you and then a nice roasted malt finish. Very smooth. Good smoky flavor. Everything you want from a porter.

M- Medium bodied. A little on the thin side, but very drinkable.

O- Just an absolutely delicious porter. One of the best i have had. Seems to lose some of its intensity as i was finishing the glass, but still great. The body and roasted flavors are perfect for a cool evening. Top tier porter.

$9.99 for 6 pk

A - Pours a completely opaque midnight black. Maybe a fingers worth of big bubbly light tan foam. Leaves lots of spotty lacing against the glass.

S - The nose is full round and most of all roasty. Notes of oily espresso, coffee grinds, charcoal, and a whiff of smoke are quite potent. hints of chocolate shavings round out the aroma.

T - the flavor follows the nose. notes of dark bread with a hint of sweetness up front. The roast is prominent but more char and hints of coffee. There is a touch of chocolate as well. Very roasty on the the finish but it is rather quick.

M - well rounded medium bodied. medium carbonation with a big bubbly presance.

O - a really nice dark ale. Yet another reason odell is just a top notch brewery.

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

It poured a finger and half of tan head on a dark brown body.
The aroma is roasted malt, chocolate and nuts.
A roasted malt flavor to start, mild bitter in the middle, a short finish though.
It has a fizzy texture with moderate carbonation and medium body.
This beer looked great and smelled nice but the taste was pretty average. Easy to drink though.

16oz pint glass, on-tap.

A: Nearly opaque brown with red highlights; wonderful spiderweb lacing.

S: Initially coffee and roasted malts; hints of an earthy spice hop is well integrated as the beer warms. Chocolate...faint herbal note, or even cinnamon possibly? Toasted nuttiness, suggestion of charcoal in the roast.

T: Really in line with the nose, smooth roast and malt presence abounds. Tingly hop notes compete with a malty sweet chocolate center; its faint, but its there. Espresso and rugged roast, again faint charcoal, and hints of molasses all meld effortlessly into a moderately stout-like American Porter.

MF: Creamy smooth medium body with moderate carbonation. Drinkable.

O: Surprised by this one, I'm not sure I've tried it before and I've seemed to always pass it over since Odells arrived in the area last year. Good stuff for the porter lovers.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle with the date easy to read on the label. I got a 1 1/2 finger head that dissipates quickly.

A: Pours black and opaque. The head dissipates quickly. There is plenty of nice lacing that really sticks.

S: I smeel roasted coffee and roasted malts.

T: Taste follows smell: big coffee taste...sweet coffee.

M: This beer goes down smooth. Medium to thick-bodied.

O: I like this beer. However, the first sips are by far the best. It seems to me that it loses character toward the middle and into the finish. It is a good beer, though.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Had a nitro pint with dinner at the Tap House in Steamboat Springs yesterday for the HH price of $3.00.

Beer poured a translucent black with a beautiful head from the nitro tap.

Nose was chocolate with some coffee.

First couple of sips were fantastic with a huge chocolate and coffee profile from the nitro pull. The flavors were less intense with subsequent sips.

Mouthfeel was initially extremely smooth from the nitro pull. Subsequent sips found that it is a lighter abv porter lacking a full body.

Overall this was an enjoyable beer. Not sure if the age of the keg had something to do with the fading quality of my pint. Nonetheless it was good.

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thank you kindly to pokesbeerdude for sending this generous extra my way! enjoyed from my hill farmstead tulipy wine glass.

a - brew poured a pewter black with almost 3 fingers of foamy mocha cream colored head. as the head dissipated there was big chunks of lacing on the glass.

s - really nice blend of powdered chocolate and char that gives the beer a vanilla vibe too. robust roastiness too.

t - wow, that's huge...and robust. black malts. powder chocolate. char. roast. a bit intense.

m - char. burntness. fairly full bodied for a porter, but overall light to medium bodied. tingles in my mouth. fairly aggressive.

o - overall this is a big porter. extremely full robust flavor profile. i like my porters to be a bit more subdued.

4.56/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Always liked this beer, but its only been the past summer where I have really begun appreciating the english style porters and now I definitely love this beer.

Pours dark, black in the center and brown towards the edges. A nice off white head and good lacing. Aroma is rich and roasty; dark chocolate, light roast coffee, a little bready. Flavor is pretty similar with a dominating roast throughout that is continually evolving; starts of with the dark chocolates with some coffee hiding out underneath, but things progress the flavor tend to trade spots and a nice light roasted coffee grinds takes the forefront with the dark chocolate hiding out underneath. A touch bready I suppose, a touch of brown sugar too. The roast can provide a touch of mild bitterness to it as well. A medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel. Overall, a fantastic porter here. With my newfound appreciation for english porters this one is sitting right towards the top of my favorite porter list.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a nice dark color with a nice thick creamy head.

Date on the bottle was July so little past prime but I wasn't disappointed. Not much on the nose, but the taste was classic -chocolate roasty. They hit the taste of what I think a porter should be like 100%. Great lacing and great head retention.

Mouth feel is okay.

If I could get this more often I would buy it all the time, but sadly Odell is not in Texas yet. Hopefully that will change.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Dang this is a stereotypical very good porter that was a hair's breadth from being great. Served a little cold with a smallish tan head that slowly settled and lots of lace. Color is a very hazy dark garnet brown. Aroma is classic cocoa, malt, roast, coffee. Flavor is likewise standard high end porter, like nose, hint sweet, good carbonic tang, some astringency and spot on bitter. Body is almost faultless - there's a suggestion of bandaid that just barely throws it off kilter. Carbonation is perfect. Finish is like flavor, of average length, and super drinkable. Wish we could get it in Wisconie.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark blackish brown with a little bit of reddish/orange color at the bottom of the glass. Lots of bubbles and a huge five finger beige head with good retention. Lots of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A pretty big roasty aroma. Dark roasted malts with good hints of chocolate, coffee, burnt caramel, toffee, and some nuts. A little brown sugar, milk, and some light dried dark fruit. Very roasty aroma overall with a little bit of smoke. pretty solid.

Taste: Roasty and dark like the smell indicates. Dark roasted malts with notes of chocolate, coffee beans, nuts, milk, smoke, and burnt caramel and toffee. A little brown sugar and molasses. Very subtle hint of dark fruit. Some earthy hops provide some balancing bitterness in the back end. Very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very creamy. Slick and very smooth.

Overall: A very good take on the American style Porter. Nicely roasty and robust while still going down pretty smooth and easy.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured aggressively into a tumbler glass. A two finger head quickly halved in size but is sticking around.

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black. Little bit of a maroon hue when held up to the light but otherwise opaque.

Aroma: Very rich roasted malt. A little dark chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Well-rounded. The roasted malt comes through beautifully and lingers just the right amount of time. An aftertaste of dry dark chocolate. The hops are present and help bitter the palate at first but quickly fade, which is just fine because it lets the malt shine.

Mouthfeel: This porter has definite drinkability. Though it dries out your mouth a bit after every sip, it isn't very noticeable.

Final Thoughts: The Odell Brewing line-up of offerings are always on my shopping list. This is my first time trying their Cutthroat Porter and I will definitely be going for it again in the future. A very well-rounded beer and great example of the style. There is so much flavor packed into this brew.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic glass.

A: Opaque dark brown showing scant light transmission around the edges with over one finger of light beige foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Roast is fairly intense, with chocolate, charcoal, lesser dark fruit, and a slightly scorched edge.

T: Begins almost dry, with dark chocolate and refined roasted grain. A thread of dried fruit also emerges before the moderately acidic transition into the middle. Sulfur is a bit too strong here, suggesting some out of place dimethyl sulfide, but not really detracting. More chocolate is present in the finish, alongside aromatic green hops that only yield mild bitterness.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, creamy but slightly astringent on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Surprisingly flavorful for a 5% abv porter, this dark contribution from Odell is mostly masterful. As good as the flavor is, it takes a few unexpected turns with detectable acidity and possible off-qualities of fermentation. Not a perfect example of the style, but there are some serious flashes of brilliance demonstrated here.

Odell Cutthroat Porter from Odell Brewing Company