Odell Cutthroat Porter - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-19-2001

Not quite a stout but definitely no lightweight, Cutthroat Porter is smooth and robust. Inspired by the classic London porters, we use dark roasted malts to create a deep, rich color and flavor that hint at chocolate and coffee. We named it Cutthroat Porter as our tribute to the Colorado state fish – with its own rich heritage and unmistakable dark coloring. And while we’re big fans of small batches, here’s to the currently threatened Cutthroat population reaching mass quantities.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,003 | Reviews: 380
3.85/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: The beer is a pitch black brew that shows clear and deep mahogany when placed up to the light. There is a thin ribbon of fine and sandy colored head that travels well down the glass and leaves an attractive lacing

S: The nose is of coffee grounds but not overpoweringly so and faintly of dark chocolate. The coffee aroma comes forth as the beer warms. Good backing of balancing herbaceous hops.

T: Taste primarily of coffee and there was more of a bitterness from earthy hops than I expected but it gets smoothed away by roasty malts and a creamy finish with smoke and brown sugar.

M: Very smooth carbonation, crisp clean finish not sticky at all. The mouthfeel was medium to thin bodied. One brewed for drinkability rather than boldness.

D: A porter that doesn't make a fuss about identity but is simple and tasty, very drinkable and just feels right. A winner in my book.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Another beer brought back to OH from my friend for a taste of CO and WY. Thanks Mooky!

Pours dark black in my pint glass, but when held to the light you can see that it is clear (filtered?) and allows a small amount of light to peak through, transforming the beer into a deep blood color. There's a small cap of head, less than a finger. The color is off white, and reminds me of the color of used cigarette paper. Decent retention, the bubbles are small but numerous and full of vigor. Lace struggles to cling to the glass, but I'm not left with too much to ponder as the beer goes down.

Smells slightly acidic and peaty, I must assume that there's some smoked barley at play here. Subtle undertones of coffee grounds and earthy hops are also at play.

The flavor is much the same - mild coffee and smoke. Some hop bitterness combines with the carbonation and alcohol to prickle the palate pleasingly. Roasted grains in the background pull forward as I give a mouthful a swish. This also excites the beer into producing a sweet chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Lots of carbonation, almost too much. Drinkability is pretty good. Too bad this isn't available in OH. Good thing Edmund Fitzgerald is better and readily available.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Cellared for 24 months and pours black with a two fingers of ecru head. The aroma is rich with notes of coffee and sweet malt. There is a little astringency on the nose as the fizzy head reduces. The body is thin with and the flavors are A-typical. Great coffee notes and bittersweet chocolate. The flavors are great and the aromas are great teasers; the body is just a little shy of great. This is a good sessionish beer at 4.8%, I just can't get over the thin character.

3.61/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle into (real) pint glass in high altitude Denver, CO.

A: Pours a dark non-transparent black with a two finger head of decent cream and mild thickness.

Sm: Musty-but-nice scent of roasted barley (my favourite), lots of hops, and just the right amount of malt. Very appealing.

T: Creamy, inviting finish bleeds into the body, which is built very nicely for a porter, with roasted barley and other hints of notes like caramel and maybe even a little toffee or chocolate. Complex but balanced. Finish complements the beer nicely.

Mf: Coarse as it needs to be. Dry at the climax, but it might be better with more dryness.

Dr: At this price range and availabity (in CO at least), it's hard to do better.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

This is a long-time want that I always assumed would find its way into a trade. Finally, GabrielM took care of it in Secret Santa 10, and he sent four bottles of it, with a logo glass to match. Thanks Gabe.

Odell Cutthroat Porter has a dark brown body with lots of ruby highlights that make the beer look red when held up to the light. The light brown head is a finger and a half tall with a rocky, cratered top. The retention is pretty good and the lacing stays behind in the form of large splotches that occur in numerous places.

The aroma has a ton of roasted malt, a classic porter sourness, a little bit of chocolate and some caramel sweetness.

The taste is dominated by roasted malt and sourness. The sourness isn't an unpleasant, infected type of sourness, but rather would you would expect from a classic porter that was a blend of different beers; it also blends pretty seamlessly with the roasted malt. Next there is a hint of chocolate, but more caramel malt. The finish has noticeable flavors of citrus and bitterness as a little bit of a hop profile comes through.

The body is full with fairly active carbonation.

This is a very good porter, with all the elements that a porter should have. Nice to know I have a few bottles in reserve for later.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Black bodied beer. Thick crop of light brown froth on top has good retention. Lace comes in blotchy pathes all over. Aroma is very chocolatey and roasty. Flavor is very smooth and enjoyable. Tootsie roll center with milk chocolate and light java notes dotting the landscape. A little roasted malt bitterness lingers. Lightly carbonated and medium bodied. This one is solid.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass from a 12 ounce bottle.

A: This beer pours nearly black, with no light shining through. The off-white head settles slowly to a thick froth on the surface with sticky lacing.

S: Roasted malt aromas dominate, with notes of coffee, chocolate, and some toast character.

T: Much like the smell, but oh so much more. The coffee and bittersweet chocolate notes hit the palate with full force. Toast and hints of dark fruits linger in the backround. Hops are noticeable, and leave a slight floral character in the finish.

Notes: This beer, for being lower in ABV, has a very full bodied mouthfeel. It almost reminds me in a way of what I would call an "imperial dark mild." Cutthroat is a very tasty brew, and quite sessionable. More, please!

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

I got this beer from KeffD. Thanks Keith!

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - very dark brown with a short tan head that stayed a thin layer leaving spotty lacing.

S - roasted coffee beans.

T - full of robust roasted malt with notes of chocolate and coffee, the finish has espresso-like bitterness.

F - medium bodied with a smooth feel.

D - very easy to drink.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

I am continuing to up my bottle numbers to a nice, round 400 so that I CAN refocus on The CANQuest (TM).

From the label: "Not quite a stout but definitely no lightweight, Cutthroat Porter is smooth and robust. Inspired by the classic London porters, dark roasted malts create a deep, rich color and flavor that hint at chocolate and coffee. We're a family-run brewery that loves beer. When experimenting with new brews, we strive to hit on something that's even better than the last beer we went crazy about. And then, and only then, will we serve it up to our friends."

I carefully decanted it from the bottle into one of my favorite glasses to be able to take in the aforementioned color. It was beautiful - a deep dark brown with caramel highlights at the edges. My slow pour left only wisps for a head. Nose was deep and rich, very chocolaty, not so much coffee. Mouthfeel was medium and the roastiness was immediately notable on the tongue. Now, it really tasted like coffee! Man, this was a great pick-me-up on a slow afternoon. Finish was slightly bitter, not from hops, but from the roasted malts that were used. I love coffee and this was right up my alley, but it may not be for everyone.

4.62/5  rDev +13%

Another pick from my girlfriend(she picks the new beers now).

A: very dark in color, pretty much black with a small tan head.

S: At first the smell had a winy alcohol smell but mellowed out to coffee and chocolate with a smoky forefront.

T: A+ Smoky taste with coco hints. Very smooth on the palette.

This is another amazing beer that my girlfriend picked out. It has an amazingly strong flavor but not overpoweringly bitter or malty. Smooth!!! I consider this a session beer for myself. Relatively low ABV and for people who like to drink craft brews and porters!! GREAT BEER ODELL BREWING COMPANY!!!

Second time's the try on this review after my dog pulled out my power cord. 12 oz. bottle courtesy of a BA whose name has been lost to computer failures - thanks! Poured in to a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a dark, raw sienna, obviously filutered, but opaque enough such that the thinly distributed, average-sized, slow effervescence visible around the edges of the glass disappears a short distance inside the tulip. The one finger of lightly tanned head has average retention and doesn't leave much in the surface dusting department, but a nice collar (though a radically asymmetrical one, huge and foamy on one side of the glass and nonexistent on the other) and some crisp, rocky lacing make up for it.

Aroma: Tons of milk chocolate is strong up front, like a freshly pressed mocha or milk cocoa, but these are counteracted by a fair amount of toastier notes. Astringencies are few, but the dryer, toastier malts that form the majority of the nose are faintly suggestive of full roast coffee - almost like smooth, french press espresso at points - earthy, dirty, wholesome bread, and dark, glassy toffee.

Taste: About as robust as the nose. Glassy, strongly toasted malts make up the vast majority of the backbone of this one, much dryer than many porters I've had. A slight hop tickle emerges, though I doubt it's intended as much as it's the byproduct of the intense dryness of the backbone. Crystalline toffee and well-attenuated molasses notes provide all of the sweetness this one needs, as otherwise it's silky smooth (in the flavor department), with the only other deviations coming in the form of a slightly green fruit-like note in the far depths of the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: A little thinner, by virtue of the relative dryness of the body. A great amount of carbonation nonetheless, though it does manage to be a little rough around the edges in terms of smoothness. Not a huge deal, as you don't need a creamy body to augment the flavor profile here.

Drinkability: If you like your porters dry, this one's for you. A low abv%, easy drinking, silky smooth and light porter, this is one solid brew. This is a dark beer for a situation one wouldn't normally reach for a dark beer in. Seriously, I could put down a six pack of this in the heat of the summer (and not a Virginia summer ... we're talkin' a good ol' fashioned south Georgia summer) without even thinkin' twice about it. Very good drinkin' here.

4.01/5  rDev -2%

Black, no real like shining though. Light tan finger of head that laces wonderfully down the glass.

Toasted malts are predominant, with a bit of espresso and a hint of cocoa, though it's faint.

Roasted malts, a bit of bitter chocolate and coffee. Overall, rather tasty.

Feel is good, medium. Medium, but on the lighter end.

Very good drinkability. Tasty, not too heavy, and a good porter.

Appearance: Stoutlike in appearance, with an almost pitch black color topped by a creamy tan head; several shards of lace linger above the foam

Smell: Coffee roast, but with clear tones of citrusy hops

Taste: Roasty, up front, with a burgeoning citrus hop flavor that stands up to the roastiness almost immediately and winds up somewhat dominant, after the swallow, though the coffee malt flavors linger on the tip of the tongue

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Not what I was expecting in a porter, this is almost in the Black IPA territory; rather good, once I got over the hurdle of what I was expecting

Thanks, welosiped, for the opportunity

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%

This beer pours a dark brown nearly black color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into sticky lacing. The aroma is of milk chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, and a hint of coffee. This is a very attractive aroma. The taste is milder than the aroma. There are some nice roasted malt characters with some chocolate and coffee in the far background. The mouthfeel is slightly lighter than medium bodied with agressive carbonation that doesn't work well with the style. Overall, this is a good porter that I could drink again. I like the taste and aroma, but the texture and carbonation do detract from the overall pleasure.

On tap from brewery.

A- Dark chocolate tone with tan head and moderate lacing.

S- Roated coffe with rich chocolate tones. Hints of vanilla.

T- Raw sugar upfront with strong coffee and unsweetened cocoa. Balanced out with a good hop character.

M- Thick and creamy

D- Very drinkable. Sipper. Rich.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to boatshoes for the chance at this one.

A- First off, I have to say I love these Odell bottles. The nice label art matched with the custom glass makes for an awesome presentation. This beer looks nearly as good in the glass as it does in the bottle. It sports a medium sized, thick tan head. Plenty of lacing throughout its long life.

S- Firmly roasted with coffee and malts. Some floral and grassy hops.

T- Really nice stuff. Its very nicely balanced. Roasted malts, grassy hops and sweet chocolate run in contention.

D- This is one enjoyable porter. One of the better ones.

3.77/5  rDev -7.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very dark brown with a short tan head and a bit of lacing. The nose brings some roasted malt along with chocolate and coffee. The flavor isn't quite as integrated as the nose, with the coffee and chocolate not mixing all that well with the roasted character. Overall, however, the feel is quite good and this ends up drinking quite well, and I love how Odell has quite low ABVs on many of its regular offerings.

4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

This is a special review for me. Let me tell you a quick story to start out. Before my legal drinking age, beer was foreign to me. My first brew, Crazy Stallion, made me think of piss. A Blue Moon and a Fat Tire gave me only a bit of hope for beer. But during that time, it was liquor 99% of the time, and crappy keg stuff the other 1%. Probably around the time I was 20, I was making a list of stuff that I wanted for one of my older friends. I had heard that these porter and stout beers tasted like chocolate, or something like that. It sounded really cool, so I searched around on the web and found this beer, Cutthroat Porter, so I added it at the end of the order. Let me tell you, the moment this stuff hit my lips, I was hooked. Maybe not quite the chocolate I expected, but it was good none-the-less. Shortly after, I found my way to Beer Advocate, looking at all the crazy beers like Arrogant Bastard,just thinking of what I could have when I turned 21.

3 years later, this beer pours a solid black with an off white head of one finger. Decent head retention and a bit of lacing. Looks nice.

Smell starts out coffee when cold with toffee poking through as it warms. Again, very nice.

Taste is a complex bitter dark chocolate, day old coffee, toffee/caramel sweetness, and a bit of hop. Damn good.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick, but is cut nicely with carbonation. It works very well.

Clocking at 4.8 (according to label, not BA) ABV, this beer is something you can session. The complex flavor, and light alcohol, make an exceptionally drinkable brew. This is, in my opinion, the gold standard for American Porter. It will always hold a special place in my heart and liver.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Dark, translucent brown. 1.5" tan head that is fairly persistent.

Smell: Roasted barley malt and some mild coffeehouse aromas.

Taste: Dark roasted malt with subtle tones of coffee and chocolate. Less porter and more like a stout, not a bad thing at all. Some hop presence to balance, works well here.

Mouthfeel: Medium not too heavy, just right for this hybrid porter/stout.

Drinkability: Absolutely drinkable, perfect session beer to enjoy with lower ABV and stout qualities.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Thanks be to BeerBATvocate for sending this one in a trade.

A= This ale poured very dark, but when held to a bright light showed that it is really a very clear garnet/brown color. With an aggressive pour the creme colored head rose 1/2" and then settled to a creamy ring. Tons of wispy lace left on my glass with this one.

S= Smells lightly sweet, with some firm roasty notes in there to balance the sweet aroma. If I dug deep, I could pick up caramel/toffee notes too.

T= Less roasty than the smell would indicate, but still full of dark malt goodness. Rich notes of sweetened coffee and caramel/treacle dance throughout. Finish dried a bit from roasted grain bitterness. I got a hint of oxidation in the finish too.

MF= Medium to full bodied with a nice carbonation that was active but never harsh.

D= Very drinkable, with an ABV that makes it easy to drink a few. The slight oxidation note was not welcome, but this was still a great beer that I would gladly try again (I bet it is amazing fresh on tap).

4.13/5  rDev +1%

First of my new winter seasonal exploration - porters - now that several new ones have hit the MN market.
Poured into my Sam Adams glass. First Odell beer (I think). I like the bottle - seems like it would be good for bottling homebrew.
Nice porter roasty character. Reasonably dense and robust. Light on the hops.
Big full beige head that settles in it's own time - gets a little rocky in appearance. Very dark, with black in most areas and brown and deep red on the edges.
What a nice mix of fullness of flavor, richness in feel and good drinkability. Ample, ample dryness on the finish wrapped with a bitterness that extends each drink way out. There is a hop flavor in the drink, but it's mostly complementary (a little grassy). Nice little bite of nutty toastiness. Not much sweetness.
Tastes pretty fresh and it seems the dating is stating good until 3/20/11.
Smooth, yet carbonated adequately. Soft.
This drinks well. Note quite low enough for session, but more than one is not a problem.
Good start to the porter quest.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

Alas, I find this one. I have been a fan of Odell for a while and drink their beers frequently, but until now have been unable to find this one. Thanks Beertopia, Omaha.

More brown than black came from the pour. The head was relatively tame, but left constant ring and patch of bubbles in the center. The lace spiraled around the glass all the way down.

The aroma is a humble bouquet of complexity and intrigue. At first it seems too subtle, but as it matures in the glass and gets agitated a bit it opens up. A substantial plum flavor is twisted by the sweetness of brown sugar and the spiciness of clove. More subdued notes of cocoa

The flavor is no slacker either. The roasty qualities shine much more in the mouth. Dark roasted chocolate and coffee comprise the majority of the flavor, while sweeter notes of dark sugar, molasses, and a hint of sweet banana make things interesting.

The carbonation was but intense, the only thing I wasn't ecstatic about. Aside from that, the body was on the light side for a porter. As it goes down, it seems to gain weight. The finish was chalky and begged another sip. Awesome porter, thanks Odell.

4.16/5  rDev +1.7%

5.1% ABV
43 IBUs
12 oz bottle with a freshness date of 3/8/11 poured into a Surly pint glass on 10/11/10.

Appearance 5/5
Clear and very dark brown with a full tan colored head, that dissipated into a thin one and left sticky lacing over the course of the beer. Spot on.

Aroma 4/5
Sweet malts and coffee dominate the nose with hints of roast.

Taste 4/5
Coffee contributes most to the flavor in my opinion, and is welcome. Some acidity that seems to be from coffee. There's some roast and a tiny bit of bitterness towards the finish, which doesn't seem enough to balance the malts. Finish is almost cloying for a beer of this ABV.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Medium to low body. Carbonation is just right, but still doesn't help the overly sweet finish. If the body were stronger, I'd be fine with the finish.

Drinkability 4.5/5
I have pointed out more mistakes than better qualities but this is one of the most flavorful beers around at its ABV.

4.44/5  rDev +8.6%

A= The pour is a nice black color with a thin brown head on it that holds some nice retention and some spotty lacing.

S= Nice roasty quality to this porter. There's a great minerally sort of roast to it that I really enjoy in my porters as well as some sweet chocolatyness to back it all up. It makes my mouth water.

T= Almost to a tee what I want in a porter. There is a great deal of balance to it. It's not the most roasty porter in the world and it's not the sweetest. Really light flavors that I like in a porter makeing it easy to drink and enjoy. There's that minerally flavor that I love in my porters in the roast as well.

M= Ideal for a porter. A little prickly carbonation and a velvety mouth on it.

D= This is what really stands apart in this porter. Super easy to drink. It's got just enough flavor to keep you guessing and not enough to make you wanna switch to something lighter. A great brew.

Received from Iasanlee. Thank you, Jason!

A: Very deep brown color. Medium head formation with ring lacing as you drink.

S: Chocolate and slightly sharp/metallic roast malt. Coffee is in there, too.

T: Roast malt and slight chocolate with coffee. Tastes nearly stout-like. Not a lot of aftertaste or bitterness.

M: Smooth and properly carbonated.

D: Very well balanced and easy to drink.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Odell Cutthroat Porter from Odell Brewing Company