Odell Cutthroat Porter - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-19-2001

Not quite a stout but definitely no lightweight, Cutthroat Porter is smooth and robust. Inspired by the classic London porters, we use dark roasted malts to create a deep, rich color and flavor that hint at chocolate and coffee. We named it Cutthroat Porter as our tribute to the Colorado state fish – with its own rich heritage and unmistakable dark coloring. And while we’re big fans of small batches, here’s to the currently threatened Cutthroat population reaching mass quantities.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell Cutthroat Porter Alström Bros

Appearance: Stoutlike in appearance, with an almost pitch black color topped by a creamy tan head; several shards of lace linger above the foam

Smell: Coffee roast, but with clear tones of citrusy hops

Taste: Roasty, up front, with a burgeoning citrus hop flavor that stands up to the roastiness almost immediately and winds up somewhat dominant, after the swallow, though the coffee malt flavors linger on the tip of the tongue

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Not what I was expecting in a porter, this is almost in the Black IPA territory; rather good, once I got over the hurdle of what I was expecting

Thanks, welosiped, for the opportunity

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%

This beer pours a dark brown nearly black color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into sticky lacing. The aroma is of milk chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, and a hint of coffee. This is a very attractive aroma. The taste is milder than the aroma. There are some nice roasted malt characters with some chocolate and coffee in the far background. The mouthfeel is slightly lighter than medium bodied with agressive carbonation that doesn't work well with the style. Overall, this is a good porter that I could drink again. I like the taste and aroma, but the texture and carbonation do detract from the overall pleasure.

On tap from brewery.

A- Dark chocolate tone with tan head and moderate lacing.

S- Roated coffe with rich chocolate tones. Hints of vanilla.

T- Raw sugar upfront with strong coffee and unsweetened cocoa. Balanced out with a good hop character.

M- Thick and creamy

D- Very drinkable. Sipper. Rich.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to boatshoes for the chance at this one.

A- First off, I have to say I love these Odell bottles. The nice label art matched with the custom glass makes for an awesome presentation. This beer looks nearly as good in the glass as it does in the bottle. It sports a medium sized, thick tan head. Plenty of lacing throughout its long life.

S- Firmly roasted with coffee and malts. Some floral and grassy hops.

T- Really nice stuff. Its very nicely balanced. Roasted malts, grassy hops and sweet chocolate run in contention.

D- This is one enjoyable porter. One of the better ones.

3.77/5  rDev -7.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very dark brown with a short tan head and a bit of lacing. The nose brings some roasted malt along with chocolate and coffee. The flavor isn't quite as integrated as the nose, with the coffee and chocolate not mixing all that well with the roasted character. Overall, however, the feel is quite good and this ends up drinking quite well, and I love how Odell has quite low ABVs on many of its regular offerings.

4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

This is a special review for me. Let me tell you a quick story to start out. Before my legal drinking age, beer was foreign to me. My first brew, Crazy Stallion, made me think of piss. A Blue Moon and a Fat Tire gave me only a bit of hope for beer. But during that time, it was liquor 99% of the time, and crappy keg stuff the other 1%. Probably around the time I was 20, I was making a list of stuff that I wanted for one of my older friends. I had heard that these porter and stout beers tasted like chocolate, or something like that. It sounded really cool, so I searched around on the web and found this beer, Cutthroat Porter, so I added it at the end of the order. Let me tell you, the moment this stuff hit my lips, I was hooked. Maybe not quite the chocolate I expected, but it was good none-the-less. Shortly after, I found my way to Beer Advocate, looking at all the crazy beers like Arrogant Bastard,just thinking of what I could have when I turned 21.

3 years later, this beer pours a solid black with an off white head of one finger. Decent head retention and a bit of lacing. Looks nice.

Smell starts out coffee when cold with toffee poking through as it warms. Again, very nice.

Taste is a complex bitter dark chocolate, day old coffee, toffee/caramel sweetness, and a bit of hop. Damn good.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick, but is cut nicely with carbonation. It works very well.

Clocking at 4.8 (according to label, not BA) ABV, this beer is something you can session. The complex flavor, and light alcohol, make an exceptionally drinkable brew. This is, in my opinion, the gold standard for American Porter. It will always hold a special place in my heart and liver.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Dark, translucent brown. 1.5" tan head that is fairly persistent.

Smell: Roasted barley malt and some mild coffeehouse aromas.

Taste: Dark roasted malt with subtle tones of coffee and chocolate. Less porter and more like a stout, not a bad thing at all. Some hop presence to balance, works well here.

Mouthfeel: Medium not too heavy, just right for this hybrid porter/stout.

Drinkability: Absolutely drinkable, perfect session beer to enjoy with lower ABV and stout qualities.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Thanks be to BeerBATvocate for sending this one in a trade.

A= This ale poured very dark, but when held to a bright light showed that it is really a very clear garnet/brown color. With an aggressive pour the creme colored head rose 1/2" and then settled to a creamy ring. Tons of wispy lace left on my glass with this one.

S= Smells lightly sweet, with some firm roasty notes in there to balance the sweet aroma. If I dug deep, I could pick up caramel/toffee notes too.

T= Less roasty than the smell would indicate, but still full of dark malt goodness. Rich notes of sweetened coffee and caramel/treacle dance throughout. Finish dried a bit from roasted grain bitterness. I got a hint of oxidation in the finish too.

MF= Medium to full bodied with a nice carbonation that was active but never harsh.

D= Very drinkable, with an ABV that makes it easy to drink a few. The slight oxidation note was not welcome, but this was still a great beer that I would gladly try again (I bet it is amazing fresh on tap).

4.13/5  rDev +1%

First of my new winter seasonal exploration - porters - now that several new ones have hit the MN market.
Poured into my Sam Adams glass. First Odell beer (I think). I like the bottle - seems like it would be good for bottling homebrew.
Nice porter roasty character. Reasonably dense and robust. Light on the hops.
Big full beige head that settles in it's own time - gets a little rocky in appearance. Very dark, with black in most areas and brown and deep red on the edges.
What a nice mix of fullness of flavor, richness in feel and good drinkability. Ample, ample dryness on the finish wrapped with a bitterness that extends each drink way out. There is a hop flavor in the drink, but it's mostly complementary (a little grassy). Nice little bite of nutty toastiness. Not much sweetness.
Tastes pretty fresh and it seems the dating is stating good until 3/20/11.
Smooth, yet carbonated adequately. Soft.
This drinks well. Note quite low enough for session, but more than one is not a problem.
Good start to the porter quest.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

Alas, I find this one. I have been a fan of Odell for a while and drink their beers frequently, but until now have been unable to find this one. Thanks Beertopia, Omaha.

More brown than black came from the pour. The head was relatively tame, but left constant ring and patch of bubbles in the center. The lace spiraled around the glass all the way down.

The aroma is a humble bouquet of complexity and intrigue. At first it seems too subtle, but as it matures in the glass and gets agitated a bit it opens up. A substantial plum flavor is twisted by the sweetness of brown sugar and the spiciness of clove. More subdued notes of cocoa

The flavor is no slacker either. The roasty qualities shine much more in the mouth. Dark roasted chocolate and coffee comprise the majority of the flavor, while sweeter notes of dark sugar, molasses, and a hint of sweet banana make things interesting.

The carbonation was but intense, the only thing I wasn't ecstatic about. Aside from that, the body was on the light side for a porter. As it goes down, it seems to gain weight. The finish was chalky and begged another sip. Awesome porter, thanks Odell.

4.16/5  rDev +1.7%

5.1% ABV
43 IBUs
12 oz bottle with a freshness date of 3/8/11 poured into a Surly pint glass on 10/11/10.

Appearance 5/5
Clear and very dark brown with a full tan colored head, that dissipated into a thin one and left sticky lacing over the course of the beer. Spot on.

Aroma 4/5
Sweet malts and coffee dominate the nose with hints of roast.

Taste 4/5
Coffee contributes most to the flavor in my opinion, and is welcome. Some acidity that seems to be from coffee. There's some roast and a tiny bit of bitterness towards the finish, which doesn't seem enough to balance the malts. Finish is almost cloying for a beer of this ABV.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Medium to low body. Carbonation is just right, but still doesn't help the overly sweet finish. If the body were stronger, I'd be fine with the finish.

Drinkability 4.5/5
I have pointed out more mistakes than better qualities but this is one of the most flavorful beers around at its ABV.

4.44/5  rDev +8.6%

A= The pour is a nice black color with a thin brown head on it that holds some nice retention and some spotty lacing.

S= Nice roasty quality to this porter. There's a great minerally sort of roast to it that I really enjoy in my porters as well as some sweet chocolatyness to back it all up. It makes my mouth water.

T= Almost to a tee what I want in a porter. There is a great deal of balance to it. It's not the most roasty porter in the world and it's not the sweetest. Really light flavors that I like in a porter makeing it easy to drink and enjoy. There's that minerally flavor that I love in my porters in the roast as well.

M= Ideal for a porter. A little prickly carbonation and a velvety mouth on it.

D= This is what really stands apart in this porter. Super easy to drink. It's got just enough flavor to keep you guessing and not enough to make you wanna switch to something lighter. A great brew.

Received from Iasanlee. Thank you, Jason!

A: Very deep brown color. Medium head formation with ring lacing as you drink.

S: Chocolate and slightly sharp/metallic roast malt. Coffee is in there, too.

T: Roast malt and slight chocolate with coffee. Tastes nearly stout-like. Not a lot of aftertaste or bitterness.

M: Smooth and properly carbonated.

D: Very well balanced and easy to drink.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Pours dark brown with almost 2 fingers of tan head. When held up to light there is some nice deep ruby around the edges. The head reduces down to minimal lacing.

Smell: Dark roasted malts, nuttiness, burned molasses and brown sugar are all prevalent. Also some chocolate and coffee in there too.

Taste: Roasted malts, chocolate and coffee blend together well to give this beer a great backbone and some nice bitterness. Some nuttiness and molasses follows, with the slightest amount of hops at the end. Classic, rich porter taste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Medium bodied, super smooth and creamy. This beer really had a great mouthfeel and it felt good going down. It doesn't seem too heavy which contributes a lot to the drinkability. Great example of a porter and one I would absolutely try again.

3.54/5  rDev -13.4%

I received Odell Cutthroat Porter in a blind trade and was very pleased to have received this based on its reputation.

Immediately while pouring, the beer struck me with a very weird earthy aroma. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it smelled liked of like damp forest humus and old coffee--not exactly appetizing. The color was very dark with brown highlights when held up to the light. The beer was carbonated appropriately low, with a smooth mouthfeel.

The beer had a roasted coffee flavor, with burnt caramel sweetness and bitter chocolate. At the finish, there was a dry minty astrigency that I didn't really like.

Maybe it was just my sample or palate, but I didn't think that this was a world-class American porter

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

From notes taken on a trip to Colorado.
Look: Deep brown/black with a medium tan head and decent lacing.
Smell: Roasted malts balanced by a nice earthy hop note.
Taste: Very balanced, smooth chocolate malts and grassy/earthy hops to follow. Smooth and complex. Little smoke in there too.
Drink: Very easy to drink, especially at only 4.8ABV. Wish I could get it in California.

3.68/5  rDev -10%

Poured from 12oz bottle...

A- Pours a deep dark brown color...almost black. Two finger tan head shows medium retention. Ring style lacing on the glass.

S- Light chocolate notes blends with a roasted malt body for the aroma. Some light metallic hints but those get covered with a light coffee aroma.

T- Big roasted malts come out first on this beer with a hint of the metallic aroma I got now in taste form. There is a light chocolate note in the middle of the beer but nothing that dominates like in the aroma. More coffee and roasted notes to the end of the beer. Overall the flavor was there but not very lasting at any point in time.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style and beer itself. Light roasted malts left on the palate with more roasted malts and light alcohol left long into the aftertaste. No real drying per say on the the palate from the alcohol. Flavors were blended well but lacked any body to them to make them last long other than the second they hit the palate.

D- This was a drinkable porter which I wish we carried in Indiana. There are more flavorful porters I've had but this one does it for me as a session porter.

3.81/5  rDev -6.8%

Black out conditions here, thin spotty lace trails, a good center cap of retention.
Roasty, almost wood like aroma, with a touch of chocolate grains.
Taste is dark as well, plenty of charred grain, a touch of wood and robust coffee chocolate. Mild sweet flavors lingering alongside the robust darker character, as well as a little vanilla and maple.

Mouthfeel is is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.
Lingering caramel off the finish as well as roasted robust grains.

A great sessioner, perfect for the cold months.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Dark brown, almost black, with a one finger tan head with good retention. The aroma has coffee, from dark roasted malt, and chocolate.

The taste is much like the aroma. Coffee and chocolate, and a light sweetness from the malt. Very good.

Medium bodied, smooth, creamy. and nicely carbonated. A really nice Porter which I could drink over and over.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Darkest of brown, tan head that is about a finger thick and is quite creamy looking. A little lace.

Some toasty malts with chocolate and coffee notes.

Pretty deeply roasted malts. Not much sweetness at all. Not getting a whole lot of chocolate, but am picking up more coffee. Pretty toasty aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is very nice. Creamy texture due to the soft carbonation. The body is medium, but pretty beefy for a 5% beer.

A nice porter, but for my personal tastes, I would like a bit more sweetness. Still a good beer that goes down well.

Look - Very dark black, unable to see through it against the light. Not much foam with this one, but may have been my pour.

Smell - Sweet smelling, like molasses and/or licorice. Maybe also a hint of a coffee flavor.

Taste - Dark, roasted taste of coffee beans and molasses. I can taste a little bit of the chocolate that they mention on the label, but not terribly prevalent to me. Not a terribly strong or lingering aftertaste either.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly lighter in texture. Not watery though, good balance.

Drinkability - I would say that this is quite drinkable all around. Not too strong, good complexity, and not too filling or lingering. Easy to come back to several times.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Very dark reddish-brown with thin tan head and not very much lacing.

Smell: Mostly molasses and milk chocolate,with light roasted character and some spicy hops. Smells bitter and dry.

Taste: The taste follows the smell, with an emphasis on chocolate and molasses. The roasted malts and bitter hops build throughout and become more apparent at the finish.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, body is not very full but is extremely smooth and creamy. Actually, the smoothness is unheard of for an under 5% abv beer (my bottle says 4.8%). Dry finish.

Drinkability: Great example of an everyday, sessionable Porter that relies more on a smooth overall balance than going the overly roasted route. While not one of my absolute favorite Porters, this may be the most drinkable one I have ever had. Another winner from Odell.

3.45/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into Great Lakes snifter.

Pours about 1/2 finger of beige head that fades to a ring fast. Pours a copper brown, but settles black in the glass.

Aroma: Very roasted here. Almost has some smoked flavors. The malts almost seem burnt. It also has some sharp rich cherry/raisin flavors. As it warms, notes of dark chocolate and coffee roast show.

Taste: Very big roasted flavor again. I think I taste some cherries in here as well. It has chocolate and coffee with some fresh earthy hops to add a touch of bitterness to it as well.

Mouthfeel: Roasted, rich, and crisp(odd). Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends very roasted.

Overall, this beer is a ton of roasted malts. It has some decent flavors and I think it is fairly good. However, this is a porter you need to be in the right mood for. Relatively drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

From a 12 ounce bottle shared by Halcyondays, many thanks. On to the beer:

It's black in color with good retention and spots of lacing sticking around. The nose takes the smoked road; smoked malt being dominant, then semi-sweet chocolate sweeping in. Yum....the smoked malt flavor is unique in this porter, there aren't a whole lot of smoked porters out there. It's also a little sweet like baker's chocolate, and smoke flavor lingers in the aftertaste. Light in the mouth, maybe a touch too light that prefered, but solid anyway.

Delightful, tasty, and easy to kick back. I'll take that.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a dark brown to black, good off-white head, some lace.

S: Dark chocolate, some dark fruit.

T: Great full dark chocolate flavour, a self described London style porter and it tastes like one. Dark malt, some brown sugar and a hint of graham cracker.

M: Light-bodied, smooth, thins out a bit towards the finish. Soft carbonation.

D: A wonderful porter beer. Low alcohol, tasty, what's not to like.

Odell Cutthroat Porter from Odell Brewing Company