Odell Cutthroat Porter - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-19-2001

Not quite a stout but definitely no lightweight, Cutthroat Porter is smooth and robust. Inspired by the classic London porters, we use dark roasted malts to create a deep, rich color and flavor that hint at chocolate and coffee. We named it Cutthroat Porter as our tribute to the Colorado state fish – with its own rich heritage and unmistakable dark coloring. And while we’re big fans of small batches, here’s to the currently threatened Cutthroat population reaching mass quantities.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell Cutthroat Porter Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rich cola brown and black body sits belowbig thick tan head of multisized but mainly tiny ickle bubbles

Not much of an aroma, but pleasant enough some coffee & chocolate but funnily enough of the milk variety and molasses but it was nose right up to the head.

Big coffee flavours that occupy the tongue, plenty of depth in there with a slight sweetness. Some dark fruit, not much in the way of bitterness.

Today apparently is the hottest day in 30 years and so the easy drinking nature,
which was hinted at on the bottle, has been most welcomed.

Great carbonation, just a gentle fizz to help it go down

a good sessionable dark beer that clearly knows which way the tide flows

4.19/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

We are doing a late night beer review tonight. We have had an evening filled with beer, really. After work I headed to Four Peaks Brewing Company to meet Erick, a guy from San Diego. He was in the Valley for a baseball tournament, and we were in the middle of a beer trade. Rather than ship the stuff, he just delivered it. We talked about beer, shared a few pints, and headed to Fate Brewing Company for more beer! It was a GREAT time, and I really enjoyed meeting him. He handed us six bottles from our list, and I will be talking about Erick more as we review those bottles.

Some beer that he can't get in San Diego comes from Odell Brewing Company. I bought him a Lugene and explained the process of mixing the stuff with marshmallow puff vodka. We talked about all the beer, and I knew we had the Cutthroat Porter in the fridge just begging to be reviewed. It made sense to review that tonight in homage of meeting Erick. This beer has some insane reviews on BeerAdvocate, so I have some high hops. Let's drink. Cheers!

In the Glass: This beer is pitch black and is producing a nice creamy tan head. The lace on this is pretty impressive, too. When I swirl this around the glass, the beer just clings to the side. That is a sign of a great beer! I like Odell. Pretty much everything I have had from Odell is good. I am sure this one is no exception.

Nose: The nose is nice, but not as impressive as I expected it to be. There is some subtle metallic notes coming through, and a hint… I mean a HINT of chocolate creeping in there toward the end. I am sure that chocolate aroma will really open up as the beer heats up. I just grabbed this from the fridge. Oh, and good job, Sheryl. I asked for glasses and she actually got them! Good work! Time to drink.

Flavor: Now THAT is what a porter should taste like. Man, there is so much going on here. If I have had this before, I don't remember it being this good. I mean, from the second this beer hits your lips I am satisfied. I will break down the mouthfeel, but that is the best part. Then, as you swallow, more flavors explode across your palate. The finish is great, too. I am getting some of those subtle sweet notes toward the back of my palate, and the bubbles really open up producing a nice drying finish. I don't recommend moving this around in your mouth much. The bubbles will overwhelm.

Man, for the price that is one delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is creamy and has a nice pillow thing going on. As the beer begins to heat up, the bubbles calm down a little and you are left with a flavor that just covers your tongue. The more of this I drink the more I like the aftertaste. I wish more porters tasted like this. I bet this would be a GREAT food beer, too. Imagine pairing this with chili or burgers. Yummy!

Aftertaste: I didn't expect the finish on this to be dry, but this is more dry than most Irish stouts I have had. Even beers that promise a dry finish don't deliver. This one doesn't say anything about being dry on the bottle, but leaves you with a nice somewhat refreshing dryness in the finish. The burp on this is nice, too. I might still be getting some hops from the Double Oatmeal IPA that I had at Fate, but the burp didn't disappoint.

If you like porters as a general style, then you have got to try this. This is one of the better examples of this style I have had in a long time. I will say that it's hot outside, and a porter might not be your first beer of choice. However, this is a great offering from a seemingly legendary brewing company. Well done, Odell. Cheers!

3.86/5  rDev -5.6%

12 fluid oz. dated 9/12/11 ap: subsiding head, dark reddish brown. sm: vinous, chocolaty. ta: confirms smell. Deeply fruity. mo: thin-medium,, thin-oily texture carbonation average. ov: very pleasant, fruity porter. Different to many british porters which emphasise roasted malts.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

Black, with just the slightest bit of transparency enough to see some of the bubbles. Small, creamy tan head that lingers despite it's small size. Good lacing down the glass. A dark, but very attractive porter.

Rich, chocolaty, roasted malts with some coffee undertones. Very complex and delicious from the smell of it.

Very much like the aroma - complex roasty malts with the coffee taking more of a front seat from a dark chocolate background. Just a little hint of hops to balance it out - maybe it could use just the slightest touch more and it would be totally perfect.

Moderate to light body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, and a little creamy, but thin as I expect a porter to be. Very true to style and very nice.

A really excellent porter. Not my favorite, but definitely up there with the greats as a super tasty, light, balanced, and perfect example of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle in pint:

Lots of chocolate and dark malts in the nose, as well as something less pleasant. There’s a touch of charcoal in the taste but not as much as the nose suggested. Hints of toasted dark bread, with some coffee in the finish.

Very dark brown with pillowing dark tan head. Loads of lacing gets left on the glass.

Medium-full body, with well-chosen soft carbonation. Very smooth.

O: a pretty good porter, particularly if you like porters that are loaded with dark malts and use hops just for bittering.

Odell Cutthroat Porter from Odell Brewing Company