Odell 90 Shilling Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-27-2001

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell 90 Shilling Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 428 | Hads: 1,508
4.63/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Odell has captured the Scottish Ale character. the beer pours brilliant ruby under a cream colored 2" foam collar that rises up over the rim of the glass. Clean and smooth with big malt flavors, some kettle sugars and a hint of fruity esters. (243 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Mikasa ale glass. LOOK: Pours with a half finger's worth of foam that faded into a line within 15 seconds. Bubbles are extremely scarce (I can literally count them as they rise). Dark amber/copper in color with a plethora of small particles floating througout the beer.
SMELL: Has mild smokey and floral hop aromas along with a hint of caramlized malts.
TASTE: Initial taste is of strong floral hop flavors and very subtle caramel malt flavors. Mild smokey and very subtle chocolate flavors enter the palate about two seconds later as floral hop flavors persist, but caramelized malt flavors grow stronger from subtle to mild. A hint of sweet ginger and lemon peel sneaks in towards the end.
FEEL: Medium-bodied, medium carbonation (don't know how since there were barely any bubbles), with a pretty dry finish. For being such a physically unattractive beer, this tastes really well. (917 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From bottle to pint glass. Two fingers sandy, light brown, sparse foam. Poor retention and leaves a thin, scattered film. Burnt orange color and clear. Smells of caramel malt, moderately potent. Some spices in background. Tastes like aroma suggests, with heavy emphasis on malty characteristics and hints of cloves on aftertaste. Feels watery and light/medium bodied. Moderate carbonation levels. I'm glad this scotch ale isn't overly sugary. Always a great choice to keep around in the fridge. I've had this fresh from the brewery on tap, and though that tastes much better, it seems to store fairly well. Will happily buy again. (630 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Amber in color with a white and lace producing head. The aroma is of grain, fresh earth, and wet hops. Medium in body. Semi sweet. This is a drinkable beer. (161 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This brew quickly became my favorite beer. Easily becoming the weekend go-to. This is a rich, full bodied beer without the weight.

The smell is subtle which builds up to the first sip. True to it's roots, this Scottish ale is easily drinkable; and with such an easily likable flavor, it can be enjoyed one after another as its still light enough to. (350 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear red-orange with one finger of cream colored head, thin ring retained splotchy lacing. Smell: caramel, bread-y, lightly herbal/earthy. Taste: same here. Like a boring Biere de Garde, maybe that’s what a lighted-up Scottish ale would be like? (256 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: Clear, copper color with one finger of head that fades slowly with chunky lacing.

Aroma: Nice toasted malt aroma with some fruity esters.

Taste: Toasted malt, medium bodied, nicely lightened-up by the carbonation and some fruity/peach juice notes. Finishes pretty fast with some linger nutty malt.

The Rest: A really good, easy drinking beer. (361 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers to sit back and relax with. It has a great amount of flavor while still being light and refreshing. It's hard to find a beer that's not a session IPA or lager/pils/etc that has this much going for it while still being 5.3% abv. (252 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Good beer that is original. Nothing really dominates it for me, caramel is obviously present though. It tastes like a mix of a Scottish Ale and an American Amber for me, it works.
Not the hottest in the bar, but wife material. (226 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz. bottle with late August expiration date. Poured into a 15 oz. glass stein.

Appearance is pretty good and color is as expected, a deep, clear amber with a very creamy off-white head. Excellent head retention; I count about five minutes until it goes from head to lacing on the surface of the beer. Foam sticks to the side of the glass quite well.

Smell is bready on the nose with very slight hop earthiness. Some nice chocolate and butterscotch notes hit and I also detect some fruity ester aroma.

The taste is a little underwhelming. The flavor prefers to creep up on you and takes a moment to truly make itself obvious. This is nicely balanced and doesn't smack of too much hops or malt. Just a slight bitterness underneath the warmer butterscotch and bready malt flavors, with some caramel flavor as well. As the beer warms, the esters come through. A tiny bit of banana and sweet flowery tastes are apparent. Some earthy toast flavors also hit the tongue, but nothing really breaks through. The sweetness on the tongue is pleasing, though.

Mouthfeel is clean with a little bit of carbonated bite and leaves the lips slightly sticky.

Overall, this brew looks nice but doesn't quite follow through. It tastes good but not great, but as a beer that you can share with the uninitiated or as something you can sip after a hard day's work, it isn't bad. You could do much, much worse. Personally, I like it but don't love it, but might try it again at s later time when I want something neutral but tasty. It is a great introduction to this style.

To good health and good beer. (1,590 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Mahogany with copper hues, not quite ruby. Mostly clear with sparse, coarse haze or fine flecks. Off-white, pillowy, but weak head. Smells of grains, almost pilsner-like. Perhaps sweeter — caramel I guess. Definitely caramel, seemed to come out more after the head dissipated. Malty perfection, a touch toasty, but not much else there on the palate. A mild bitter bite at the end. As with aromas, reminds me more of a Pilsner (a Märzen would have made more sense) than it does a Scotch, which is a little strange, but makes for an interesting beer. My guess is that the grain bill contained slightly less dark malts, but that they were still slightly darker than you'd typically find in this style. Light-to medium bodied, lightly gum-warming, with pleasant, foaming carbonation, all making for a surprisingly smooth and crisp quaff. A good beer, but I hate to say it, a vastly overrated beer. I honestly am stunned by how highly it's been rated here. I mean to each his own, but come on!

Note: after finishing my review I decided to check out this brew at Odell's own website. According to them it is essentially an amber ale, even though their intention was to brew a "lighter Scottish Ale." And now, looking at the description here on this site, it is also referred to as an "Amber." It all makes sense now (except the ratings). Compared to your average Amber Ale, though, it seems lighter in body and IBUs, with less caramel character in the malt. (1,455 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I tried this while visiting family in Texas as it isn't available in NC. I'm surprised to see it listed as a Scoth Ale as the bottle calls it an Amber as does their website (although derived from a Scotch Ale). Ambers don't get a lot of love around here but this is one tasty Amber, perhaps my favorite.
Look: Lovely dark amber color with significant lacing and a nice head.
Aroma: Nice malt
Taste and mouthfeel: it begins with a malt forward taste and ends with a hint of bitter and has a medium bodied mouthfeel.
Overall: I just loved this one as a nice contrast to my ongoing love of IPAs. I'm going to have to revisit some of the more highly rated Ambers available in NC to if I can find one that compares. (710 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look: Brilliant hazy amber with huge sticky white head that leaves lots of lacing and bubbles. Some sediment was apparent at the bottom of the bottle. Seriously appetizing
Smell: Lightly fruity maltiness, herbal hops
Taste: Following the nose, lightly fruity maltiness with some mineral/metallic flavors. I swear I tasted something like oak (thinking bourbon here). Mild herbal hops finish. A nice palette of flavors for a flagship brew
Feel: Medium body with a good level of carbonation. Goes down smooth.

Overall: I knew this wasn't an American Pale Ale but I guess I still expected something similar. In reality it is a malt showcase with some balancing herbal hops. The malt has some nice layers to it and kept me interested the whole time. I have to say I prefer this one to the 5 Barrel Pale Ale (808 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Summer time classic for me, great flavor, very balanced and Odell did a wonderful job presenting this beer which ive been enjoying for years now. Wish I could get this here in Oregon, but as always it just makes me look forward to my next visit. 4/5
O.B.D91 (258 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy dark amber color with a big frothy head. The smell is pretty malty with hints of fruit and citrus. The taste is predominately sweet caramel malt with a fair share of hops to make this quite an interesting beer. Overall a pretty good, well balanced beer. (266 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Really good amber ale. I didn't pour it since I'm a poor college student and I don't have pint glasses, but regardless it was quite tasty. Smooth, clean, and easy to drink, this beer is ideal for nearly any occasion. I highly recommend it. (239 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance - Pours clear and pure copper in color with a light khaki finger width head. Good retention, leaving a fair layer of suds across the surface.

Smell - Aroma consists of caramel, a fruity sweetness and a touch of floral hop and spice.

Taste - Strong flavor with caramel and with a sweet, fruity flavor akin to apple juice. Hops are subdued, but a light spiciness comes through in the finish.

Mouthfeel - On the lighter side of medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Super smooth drinker, finishing with ease.

Overall - More of an Amber than a scottish, and their description of the brew reflects that. I dig it. Relatively simple, but full flavored. Try it and like it. (693 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7%

I found it interesting this is an interpretation of a toned down iscotch ale. Certainly well balanced as far as hops and malts are concerned. A smoky taste of molasses and malts get a pick me up from the zestiness, and crispiness of the hops. Giving the 90 schilling a refreshing mouth feel. Very enjoyable to drink. I would imagine it pairs very well with many types of food as well as it fits drinking as a session. A nice pick me up of a buzz as well. A good selection to make, especially if you have never had the pleasure. (527 characters)

This one was pretty good. While subtle, I quite enjoyed it. This was my first foray into the Scottish/Scot/Wee Heavy styles. I think I would like more robust flavors but this one would be good for throwing a few back. Something you probably can't do with the stronger ones.

There were flavors of malt, biscuit, and caramel. Slight hints in behind of dark fruit, such as raisins and fig. A slight nuttiness in there and perhaps just the smallest kiss of smoke. It all finishes with a ever so slight hop crispness at the end.

Would purchase again if available. (560 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Huge fluffy head, white and very bubbly, the body is crystal clear, medium amber colored and filled with carbonation.
Smell:
Mild hops and malts, there are some strong sugary aromas, caramel and light chocolate appear after a few minutes. There is also a strong fruity smell, almost like a mixture of raisins and dates mixed in with some summer grass.
Taste:
There’s a fruity flavors that just overtakes the whole beer, again I can’t quite make out what it is but you can taste some raisins, brown sugar. The caramel starts off strong and quickly fades as it warms up giving way to more citrusy flavors.
Mouthfeel:
Light bodied, smooth.
Overall:
This is a fantastic ale, goes down smooth and a =m=n awesome flavor. (730 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a shaker pint at approximately 40 degress F.

Appearance: Pours into the glass a hazy amber, towards the reddish-orange side of he amber hue spectrum. Forms a very thin head of almost light orange bubbles, which rapidly become a cap and ring. Held to light, one can very faintly make out a few streams of tiny bubbles heading skyward from the bottom of the glass. I admit some degree of trepidation, as I have found that I tend not to see orange in a beer unless it has a noticeable hop presence.

Smell: No, I showered today. Ba dum bump. The aroma opens with light, sweet caramel malt, wreathed through with some subtle suggestions of fruit - pear, raisin, and something citrusy. A soft grassy tone is off in the distance, like a fuzzy horizon.

Taste: Caramel malt with some vague toffee hints spills onto the tongue first, and then the 90-ton citric-herbal-earthy hoproller cruises in to crush it into nonexistence - leaving just perfume on my palate. Definitely not what I look for in a Scotch ale.

Mouthfeel: Difficult to tell around the full frontal assault on my tastebuds, if I'm being honest. I suppose it feels like a Scotch ale.

Overall: Once again, my sensitivity to hop flavors has me arching an eyebrow at anyone who has reviewed this beer as "malty" and mentioned nothing of any hop presence at all. They are literally all I get out of this beer, aside from a brief flash of caramel malt at the outset. Will not repeat. (1,463 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

this is one of my favorite styles of beer and I really do enjoy this one, could use a tad more punch, ABV is around 5, kinda light for this style, plus it very hard to get in my area (184 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -13.6%

This is a good malty drinking beer. Something to session on or have with a meal. Not all that impressive stand alone, but a good session and food pairing brew. (159 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle poured into nonic

L: standard amber, clear but with hundreds of little specs suspended in column; huge, thick tan head of foam that is super sticky at the top ... also keeps a fantastic collar and skin, very latte foamy thick; really cool lacing

S: corn, alcohol, medicine/rubbing alcohol smell, earth/dirt ... slight caramel underneath

T: corn, barley, grain ... has some medicinal/alcohol taste that's not super hot like the vodka-shots taste of a young, fresh, boozy imperial stout, but it's noticeable; dirt ... full-on earthy hops? or more of that alcohol taste? it's hard to tell, but it could be a bitter hop bite of English-style hops

F: fine all-around, decent carbonation

O: very underwhelming ... I expected much more malt sweetness or malt flavor of some kind, but it's mostly corn/grain and rubbing alcohol. possibly I have a very old six-pack here, but I also figured this malt-forward style would age well. I hate to rip a beer in a style I'm not well-versed in, but this tastes like one of the many bland blonde ales craft brewers use to lure BMC drinkers -- kind of an all-around dud except for that big, fluffy, sticky head (1,167 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a medium sized snifter glass.

An absolutely shimmering and crystal clear but dark brown ruby red color. You can just perfectly see though it, even in it's great dark appearance. Head is creamy light tan, hints of white, with a big soapy triangled collar. Cream and soapy, thick out of the bottle. Toast notes are just booming off the pour already. She's a looker indeed.

Big impressive brown bread aromas. Huge amounts of bread crust. Mellow clean finish, no hop presence at all. Malt depth is airy, powdery and very clean.

Palate just brings the goods. Mellow and easy drinking toasted bread in a glass. Crackling toast I say there Grommit, hints of brown bread crust, almost rye but none of the overt spicy quality. Chewy malt with a moderate very subtle caramel that takes a backseat but shows up slightly on the aftertaste. Light bodied and borderline feeling sessionable, but with more depth by far.

Odell just can do me no wrong. A fun easy drinking Scottish ale that has fantastic bready character, without getting overly sweet, sugary, bitter, watery or anything. Odell delivers the goods. (1,143 characters)

Odell 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Company