Odell 90 Shilling Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-27-2001

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,459 | Reviews: 432
3.89/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beautiful looking beer, poured great. Now I'm ready to go chase sum hookers tonight. Thanks Odell 90 Shilling Ale ;)

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Malty smell, roasted grains, very little hop presence. Taste is Carmel Apple. I was not that impressed

3.17/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Mahogany with copper hues, not quite ruby. Mostly clear with sparse, coarse haze or fine flecks. Off-white, pillowy, but weak head. Smells of grains, almost pilsner-like. Perhaps sweeter — caramel I guess. Definitely caramel, seemed to come out more after the head dissipated. Malty perfection, a touch toasty, but not much else there on the palate. A mild bitter bite at the end. As with aromas, reminds me more of a Pilsner (a Märzen would have made more sense) than it does a Scotch, which is a little strange, but makes for an interesting beer. My guess is that the grain bill contained slightly less dark malts, but that they were still slightly darker than you'd typically find in this style. Light-to medium bodied, lightly gum-warming, with pleasant, foaming carbonation, all making for a surprisingly smooth and crisp quaff. A good beer, but I hate to say it, a vastly overrated beer. I honestly am stunned by how highly it's been rated here. I mean to each his own, but come on!

Note: after finishing my review I decided to check out this brew at Odell's own website. According to them it is essentially an amber ale, even though their intention was to brew a "lighter Scottish Ale." And now, looking at the description here on this site, it is also referred to as an "Amber." It all makes sense now (except the ratings). Compared to your average Amber Ale, though, it seems lighter in body and IBUs, with less caramel character in the malt.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I tried this while visiting family in Texas as it isn't available in NC. I'm surprised to see it listed as a Scoth Ale as the bottle calls it an Amber as does their website (although derived from a Scotch Ale). Ambers don't get a lot of love around here but this is one tasty Amber, perhaps my favorite.
Look: Lovely dark amber color with significant lacing and a nice head.
Aroma: Nice malt
Taste and mouthfeel: it begins with a malt forward taste and ends with a hint of bitter and has a medium bodied mouthfeel.
Overall: I just loved this one as a nice contrast to my ongoing love of IPAs. I'm going to have to revisit some of the more highly rated Ambers available in NC to if I can find one that compares.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours with a fingers worth of off-white foam that quickly dissipates into a single line of foam. Has an amber color with tiny particles floating throughout the beer. Has strong smokey aromas with mild floral and malty aromas. Initial taste is malty and smokey with a hint of hops. These flavors persist as floral and caramel flavors enter to finish off the final taste. Carbanation amount is perfect and doesn't leave the palate dry. Overall, a pretty great beer. I love this brewery. NOTE: The malt flavors grow much stronger once the beer starts to warm giving it a pretty unpleasant taste. Please enjoy cold.

Great taste... Not a traditional Scottish ale fan... But smooth none the less.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look: Brilliant hazy amber with huge sticky white head that leaves lots of lacing and bubbles. Some sediment was apparent at the bottom of the bottle. Seriously appetizing
Smell: Lightly fruity maltiness, herbal hops
Taste: Following the nose, lightly fruity maltiness with some mineral/metallic flavors. I swear I tasted something like oak (thinking bourbon here). Mild herbal hops finish. A nice palette of flavors for a flagship brew
Feel: Medium body with a good level of carbonation. Goes down smooth.

Overall: I knew this wasn't an American Pale Ale but I guess I still expected something similar. In reality it is a malt showcase with some balancing herbal hops. The malt has some nice layers to it and kept me interested the whole time. I have to say I prefer this one to the 5 Barrel Pale Ale

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Summer time classic for me, great flavor, very balanced and Odell did a wonderful job presenting this beer which ive been enjoying for years now. Wish I could get this here in Oregon, but as always it just makes me look forward to my next visit. 4/5
O.B.D91

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy dark amber color with a big frothy head. The smell is pretty malty with hints of fruit and citrus. The taste is predominately sweet caramel malt with a fair share of hops to make this quite an interesting beer. Overall a pretty good, well balanced beer.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Unique beer with the same super-high quality known from Odell.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Really good amber ale. I didn't pour it since I'm a poor college student and I don't have pint glasses, but regardless it was quite tasty. Smooth, clean, and easy to drink, this beer is ideal for nearly any occasion. I highly recommend it.

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance - Pours clear and pure copper in color with a light khaki finger width head. Good retention, leaving a fair layer of suds across the surface.

Smell - Aroma consists of caramel, a fruity sweetness and a touch of floral hop and spice.

Taste - Strong flavor with caramel and with a sweet, fruity flavor akin to apple juice. Hops are subdued, but a light spiciness comes through in the finish.

Mouthfeel - On the lighter side of medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Super smooth drinker, finishing with ease.

Overall - More of an Amber than a scottish, and their description of the brew reflects that. I dig it. Relatively simple, but full flavored. Try it and like it.

Smooth smooth smooth smooth smooth

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

I found it interesting this is an interpretation of a toned down iscotch ale. Certainly well balanced as far as hops and malts are concerned. A smoky taste of molasses and malts get a pick me up from the zestiness, and crispiness of the hops. Giving the 90 schilling a refreshing mouth feel. Very enjoyable to drink. I would imagine it pairs very well with many types of food as well as it fits drinking as a session. A nice pick me up of a buzz as well. A good selection to make, especially if you have never had the pleasure.

This one was pretty good. While subtle, I quite enjoyed it. This was my first foray into the Scottish/Scot/Wee Heavy styles. I think I would like more robust flavors but this one would be good for throwing a few back. Something you probably can't do with the stronger ones.

There were flavors of malt, biscuit, and caramel. Slight hints in behind of dark fruit, such as raisins and fig. A slight nuttiness in there and perhaps just the smallest kiss of smoke. It all finishes with a ever so slight hop crispness at the end.

Would purchase again if available.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Huge fluffy head, white and very bubbly, the body is crystal clear, medium amber colored and filled with carbonation.
Smell:
Mild hops and malts, there are some strong sugary aromas, caramel and light chocolate appear after a few minutes. There is also a strong fruity smell, almost like a mixture of raisins and dates mixed in with some summer grass.
Taste:
There’s a fruity flavors that just overtakes the whole beer, again I can’t quite make out what it is but you can taste some raisins, brown sugar. The caramel starts off strong and quickly fades as it warms up giving way to more citrusy flavors.
Mouthfeel:
Light bodied, smooth.
Overall:
This is a fantastic ale, goes down smooth and a =m=n awesome flavor.

2.11/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a shaker pint at approximately 40 degress F.

Appearance: Pours into the glass a hazy amber, towards the reddish-orange side of he amber hue spectrum. Forms a very thin head of almost light orange bubbles, which rapidly become a cap and ring. Held to light, one can very faintly make out a few streams of tiny bubbles heading skyward from the bottom of the glass. I admit some degree of trepidation, as I have found that I tend not to see orange in a beer unless it has a noticeable hop presence.

Smell: No, I showered today. Ba dum bump. The aroma opens with light, sweet caramel malt, wreathed through with some subtle suggestions of fruit - pear, raisin, and something citrusy. A soft grassy tone is off in the distance, like a fuzzy horizon.

Taste: Caramel malt with some vague toffee hints spills onto the tongue first, and then the 90-ton citric-herbal-earthy hoproller cruises in to crush it into nonexistence - leaving just perfume on my palate. Definitely not what I look for in a Scotch ale.

Mouthfeel: Difficult to tell around the full frontal assault on my tastebuds, if I'm being honest. I suppose it feels like a Scotch ale.

Overall: Once again, my sensitivity to hop flavors has me arching an eyebrow at anyone who has reviewed this beer as "malty" and mentioned nothing of any hop presence at all. They are literally all I get out of this beer, aside from a brief flash of caramel malt at the outset. Will not repeat.

4.88/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The other beer, besides 5 barrel, that made me realize long ago that Odell is the TRUTH.

Get some.

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

this is one of my favorite styles of beer and I really do enjoy this one, could use a tad more punch, ABV is around 5, kinda light for this style, plus it very hard to get in my area

4.34/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers ever.

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

A very good beer. I thought it was going to be heavily hopped, but it wasn't. Nice balance.

3.31/5  rDev -14.7%

This is a good malty drinking beer. Something to session on or have with a meal. Not all that impressive stand alone, but a good session and food pairing brew.

I do not write reviews.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good. Tastes similar to Rahr's Iron Thistle, but not as flavorful. Still a good beer though.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle poured into nonic

L: standard amber, clear but with hundreds of little specs suspended in column; huge, thick tan head of foam that is super sticky at the top ... also keeps a fantastic collar and skin, very latte foamy thick; really cool lacing

S: corn, alcohol, medicine/rubbing alcohol smell, earth/dirt ... slight caramel underneath

T: corn, barley, grain ... has some medicinal/alcohol taste that's not super hot like the vodka-shots taste of a young, fresh, boozy imperial stout, but it's noticeable; dirt ... full-on earthy hops? or more of that alcohol taste? it's hard to tell, but it could be a bitter hop bite of English-style hops

F: fine all-around, decent carbonation

O: very underwhelming ... I expected much more malt sweetness or malt flavor of some kind, but it's mostly corn/grain and rubbing alcohol. possibly I have a very old six-pack here, but I also figured this malt-forward style would age well. I hate to rip a beer in a style I'm not well-versed in, but this tastes like one of the many bland blonde ales craft brewers use to lure BMC drinkers -- kind of an all-around dud except for that big, fluffy, sticky head

to view more.