Odell 90 Shilling Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell 90 Shilling AleOdell 90 Shilling Ale

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.30% ABV

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-27-2001)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
3.24/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

We couldn't get Odell beers in Indiana, so when we moved to Arizona I fell in love. Their beers are really good, and I haven't been disappointed with anything I have had from them. For example, their IPA is delicious. Their double IPA, while not that hoppy, is a nice smooth flavor. They even do a double black IPA that is amazing! They recently dropped the price to $3.99 at Total Wine & More, and I grabbed a case!

Today we are doing the 90 Shilling. I have not had this beer, and have no idea what to expect. It's an ale… go figure! There is a wine associate at Total Wine that I chat with from time to time. He doesn't "get" beer and always jokes, "Any new ales or lagers in today?" He's funny!

This is a new journey for me and Odell, and I can't wait to drink this!

In the Glass: The beer is a light brown and has a nice thin white head. The lace is pretty good, and hang on to the side of the glass. It drops slowly, and just begs to be drank. Knowing what I do about Odell beers, I assume this is going to be great!

Nose: It smells like an ale. Not much going on in the nose, and I am getting subtle spices toward the end. Not much here, and I am not sure what that says about the flavor. Let's drink.

Flavor: There is a LOT more flavor here than I expected. At first there isn't much going on, and then as the beer slides across the back of the palate, the bubbles explode on the back of the tongue. The flavors I am getting are earthy and remind me a Washington state chardonnay. If you close your eyes, you can picture licking dirty rocks and chewing on pine cones. It's not a bad flavor, but it has a good earthy flavor that keeps me drinking.

Oh, and I will mention, that while writing this, I started chatting with JoShua McGuire (@Shua_MC on Twitter) about Odell and this beer. He seems to like the 90 Shilling and was drinking a Lugene when we were talking. Speaking of Lugene, if you like milk stouts, try it. But if you want to try a beer cocktail with that as the base, take 1 ounce of whipped cream or marshmallow puff vodka, mix the two together, and enjoy. You won't be sorry!)

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel starts thin and balanced, and then about halfway back it explodes with bubbles and those earthy flavors that I was talking about. It has a really nice complexity as you swallow, and the aftertaste (which is my favorite part of this beer) kicks in. Every time I swallow those flavors come rushing back to the surface. This is getting better as it heats up, too.

Aftertaste: I keep going back to those earthy flavors, but that is what I am tasting here. I wouldn't call this a dirty flavor, but it has a nice complexity that would pair nicely with food. I bet this would pair nicely with grilled meats or fried chicken. Maybe we can take a trip to Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles and see. Highly out they have the 90 Shilling available, though!

Odell didn't let me down, but they also didn't blow me away with this offering. It's good, but not great. I would order this again, and will actually be looking for this on draft. I bet this is really good on draft. I bet this would even make a good cask beer. I can see this being served at room temperature. If you are a fan of Odell Brewing Company, then this should be a staple in your daily drinking.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

The 90 Shilling pours from the bottle a dark red amber with a small bubbly head that quickly fades to a ring around my glass. Aromas of rich caramel and toffee meet a nice underlying bready molasses. Dark fruit and brown sugar...big maltiness. Herbal hops peek in and out as well.

First sip brings a wave of burnt caramelly maltiness with hints of bread dough and toffee. Sweet upfront with a herbal hoppiness that brings some bitterness on the way down. Dark fruitiness in the middle with a vague hint of chocolate. A nice, flavorful brew overall.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy with fast moving carbonation. I wouldn't mind the carb being tuned down a little as it seems to step over the body of the brew. Overall, this is a tasty scottish ale, not one of my favorite styles but I'd say check it out if you dig the scottish ales. Thanks to babydoc for this one.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours with a large off-white head which reduced to a skim layer. Lace grips the glass well. Color is dark caramel, fairly clear.

Aroma is malty, light biscuits mainly with a touch of dark caramel. Pretty clean smelling with some earthy hops. Kinda light overall though.

Taste is defined by the malts again, earthy and peat like but with some biscuits again. Hops compliment this and give it a touch of bitterness. good flavor but light again and pretty simple.

Mouthfeel seems okay, a bit thin though. Low carbonation levels. Good session drinkability. Light flavor and light body make this go down easily. I'd like to see it kicked up a notch or two overall.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

90 Shilling is a dark reddish amber color with a nice medium head. Its aroma has subtle hints of citrus and caramel. Very nice tasting with hints of fig and a good hoppy finish. It doesn't taste like a normal Scottish Ale. Overall, a very drinkable beer - one of my old reliables.

3.4/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a copper color with a very thin collar and wisps of head at the surface. Aroma is muted malt and a bit bready. Taste is light caramel, very lightly bitter, and some toasty malt. Light to medium body and medium carbonation lend to a decent mouthfeel.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Presentation: 12 oz brown long neck bottle with a bottling date in the bottom left hand corner of the label. Label has a blurb about the beer.

Appearance: Tawny and tarnish copper hue with a well formed and healthy looking head that does not falter even when down to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Subdued fruitiness, noticeable citric hop with hints of mint or evergreen in the aroma … sweet toasted biscuit nose also.

Taste: Moderate body with a very smooth mouth feel from a milder carbonation. Right away the hops and malt push each other back and forth for domination though neither gains any more ground that it already has which shows for a balanced beer. Hop bitterness is at a spot on level with a citric and vague minty flavour to boot. The malt profile is just enough to carry the beer all the way through, going from sweet caramel twang to the drying toasted grain character in the end. Hints of citrus rind and toasted husks make up the finish.

Notes: A proud beer that was crafted for maximum drinkability and a superb balance. This is what American Amber ales are all about.

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

12 oz bottle pours a clear copper amber body with a small khaki head. Good patchy lacing is left on the glass. Aroma is toffee, oranges and red apples. Medium body and carbonation. Very tasty brew here. Malty toffee and fruity hops are exceptionally well balanced. Grapefruit,red apples, and oranges mingle with the toffee notes to make this exceedlingly quaffable. My favorite Odell brew, hands down.

12 ounce bottle, best before dating(?) etched onto label. Pours clear, dark honey amber. Head is large and lucious, darker khaki, long lasting and leaves plenty of well developed and thick sheeting/lace. The old sniffer picks up maple malt, fruit and some hops in the background. Pleasing scottish ale, more maple and caramel sensed along with some astringent hops notes in the finish. I like my scotts more on the sweet and malty side, but this one is smooth on the tongue and tasty from start to finish. Another worthy offering from Odells

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Opened 12 fluid ounce bottle, poured into nonic glass.

Pours a light frothy head of ½" atop a tea-brown brew that quickly dies down.

Smell is malty with subtle nutty notes as well. Taste follows through with a nice round taste and good finish. A hint of sweetness is nice yet not clowing. Very good finish, Nice brew.

Odell 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Company