Odell 90 Shilling Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell 90 Shilling AleOdell 90 Shilling Ale

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.30% ABV

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell 90 Shilling Ale Alström Bros
ElCommodoro

2.05/5  rDev -47%

This was a pretty lame Scottish ale. Lightening it up made it pretty boring and then adding more hops and higher combination just made that worse. It's got an interesting peppery taste that makes it a little above average compared to other boring American flagship beers, but it's just not on par with anything Scottish style.

07-08-2013 03:58:19 | More by ElCommodoro
darklordlager

Wisconsin

2.13/5  rDev -45%

Odell 90 Schilling Scottish Ale

A: Pours a light mohagany with ruby highlights. 1/4" of soda-like head...Nice colour, but the head is very odd.

S: Floral, bright scent--hops, and heather?. Some light to medium caramel malt. Sweetness lingers.

T: Odd floral hops and hop bitterness combines with a floral flavour to produce something not all that enjoyable. Crunchy malts lie in the background, but are swallowed by the other aspects. Artificial sweetness makes for an undesireable aftertaste.

M: Medium mouthfeel, with medium carbonation. Leaves the mouth semi-dry.

D: Not enjoyable as a Scotish 90- ale, or as a beer defying categorization. Not a fan.

05-18-2010 09:13:54 | More by darklordlager
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.4/5  rDev -38%

1/2 pint from cask,served via handpump at local Wetherspoons

A- Ruby red body with excellent clarity. 1 finger tan head with average/good retention and excellent lacing.

S- Light toasted malts mingle amongst some more complex toffeish sweeter malts. Must stress these are as subtle as can be, not much nose at all.

T- There is obvious malt notes there, sweeter toffee in the beginning becoming toastier with a touch of tea like dryness in the finish. Once again extremely subtle and perhaps the finish is not stereotypical of the style.

M- Medium carbonation and body.

D- Doesnt work for me. Lifeless nose and palate and what is there isnt true enough to style for me. Maybe im harsh possibly due to the travel its maybe done or poor cellarmanship, but underneath that it can hardly be branded a 90 shilling - a full bodied malt beast.

10-19-2011 19:26:06 | More by seanyfo

02-18-2014 18:11:41 | More by WKrieger
Quaffer

Nevada

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

Appearance: This beer was a lovely, deep copper color. It had a very light tan head that was dense and persisted the entire drink. It left a lot of lace on the glass.

Smell: This beer smelled great at first. It had a big, maltly smell that just made my mouth water. There was some hops aromas as well, though not as much as I would have expected from a beer classified as a pale. Not the typical pale ale smell. After I had a few drinks, however, a certain sour "twang" developed in the aroma that seemed like it just didn't belong. Kind of like an old kitchen dish rag. The more I drank, the stronger it seemed to be. Initially, I had the "smell" rated at a 4.5, but as I drank, I had to lower it.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and medium bodied. A great pale ale mouthfeel.

Taste: There was an overwhelming odd flavor to this beer that accompanied the sour smell I detected in the aroma. There was a little bit of maltiness to this brew, but not much. I could detect only a little bit of hops bitterness. And this is supposed to be a pale ale?

Overall, this was a disappointing beer. I have liked all the other Odell offerings that I have had. Maybe I got a bad bottle? I will have to give this beer another try.

02-12-2003 20:53:10 | More by Quaffer
jriggins6

04-09-2012 14:38:40 | More by jriggins6
Zimbo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.55/5  rDev -34.1%

This beer looks good and has a reasonable head but after that there's little to inspire here. A sulphury nose with some fruit can't do much to spice up a rather hollow centre which is ringed by some simple earthiness. Can't realy see how this can be called a 90 Shilling.
Classic case of a wannabe.

09-14-2010 00:07:03 | More by Zimbo
eclipse54

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

A 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. A Hazy amber liquid with golden hues near the edges, this beer evolves about a half inch of head before it fades to a thin foam layer. A grand amount of sticky, white lacing is left behind, enhancing the appearance. It smells of hops, faint citrus, a bit of smooth malt, and even fainter skunky/funky smell; something just seems off. This is reflected in the taste. It tries to find a middle ground between an amber and a scotch ale, but seems to fall short of excelling at either. Hops and very faint caramel lead the way before that odd skunk flavor takes over. Quite unfortunate. Mouthfeel is somewhat smooth, save a faint burning from the alcohol (which was surprising since there really wasn't a whole lot in there) and the rather unpleasant flavor. I'm a big fan of a number of Odell's products, but I won't be revisiting this one anytime soon. For some reason, it just doesn't do it for me.

07-15-2011 03:04:12 | More by eclipse54
siege06nd

2.65/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured into a CBS snifter...

A: 90 Shilling pours a clear, relatively dark copper color. About a finger of white head lasts for a few minutes until it fades down to a quarter finger of loose bubbles. Decent lacing on the sides. Fairly light and clear for the style.

S: Sweet, bready malt and a lot of citrus notes. A hint of pine resin hops. Not much complexity, a bit one note.

T: Sweet caramel malt, some mild hops. Very sticky and cloying. Kind of a watery taste. Freshness may be an issue here.

M: Well balanced, medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: This isn't anything impressive and doesn't really seem to be to style. It's somewhat thin and cloying, and certainly doesn't present anything interesting. A lot better options out there.

01-28-2012 21:44:15 | More by siege06nd
HuskyinPDX

Washington

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

Bottle purchased in Pocatello on 9.4.12

A - Poursna clear deep amber with a one inch light tan head with good lacing.

S - Very malty and bitter.

T - Malty and lots of metal ruin it for me.

D - Good carbonation and a medium body.

O - Metal in beer is not a good flavor. It might be a bad bottle. I mean I did buy it in Idaho at an Albertsons. So, who knows?

09-05-2012 05:57:58 | More by HuskyinPDX
Merchant46

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

Odell's 90 Shilling Ale pours a pleasant rich dark copper color with a small amount of cloudiness. A thin head dissipates quickly but hangs around enough to lace the glass nicely. The aroma is very faint, mainly highlighting the malt with little hops scent. The taste basically follows the scent - rather dull, with only a little hops flavor for this style of beer, with a slight smokiness. As it warms, it gets a little better, but overall the taste is mediocre, in my opinion. Mouthfeel is thin. Drinkability is only OK. The aftertaste suggested I might have an old bottle, but the "best before" date was 8/24/10, so perhaps the six pack I bought was warmed or otherwise mishandled along the way.

This is the third beer I have tried from this brewery. I think their St. Lupin Ale is very good, so with Odell terming this beer their "flagship" I was looking forward to trying it. For me, unfortunately, it was a disappointment.

06-07-2010 15:15:34 | More by Merchant46

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

02-08-2013 07:32:04 | More by zzurn
Ninjabrew

2.8/5  rDev -27.6%

A Dark amber with an average size head, nothing special.

S Very faint smell, smells faintly like a loaf of bread. Maybe a little green apple.

T I think this taste more like an amber ale than any Scottish ale I've ever had. Not a lot of the piney/spicyness I had hopes for.

D Has a little too much funkyness to drink too many of these, not really worth my soeriety either.

O I've had better amber ales and way better Scottish ales before.

10-14-2011 02:15:50 | More by Ninjabrew
rinhaak

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a murky dark red with a small head that faded quickly. A bit cloudy.

The nose is fairly simple with a faint malt aroma, hints of cherry, and a general mustiness.

The taste reminds me of a mild red wine. Fruits, more cherry, grapes, and vague malts.

The trouble is, there really isn't much flavor. It was pretty simple and very drinkable, but with nearly no discernible character; in short, pretty boring.

After reviewing this beer, I've gone back to look at other BA reviews: most reviews seem pretty favorable. I can't help but wonder if my bottle was subjected to poor conditions in its life. I would be willing to give it another shot, but based on this tasting, I cannot justify giving it high marks.

08-28-2011 14:30:52 | More by rinhaak
gbontrag

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

What the... Simply not Scottish in my opinion. Reviewing it as such is probably a disservice, but they named it and claimed it. Too much hop for a Scottish. I had it on draft last night, and the malt was more prevalent. From the bottle: I smell a pine forest in my pint, and the excessive carbonation makes it explode over the palate. There's malt around the corner, but kept at bay by the bittering, dry hop finish. There's a little caramel in there and some dried fruit hanging from the large hop whine. It makes for a decent amber. If my buddy served it to me and said he made it, I'd give him kudos. It's a nice homebrew. It's not Scottish, and it's not exciting no matter what you call it.

It's a simple beer. Come on, there is so much great beer out there this is a waste of time. It's a decent amber for frat boys trying to grow out of their Coors diapers. The hopping is boorish, and masks what is good about the beer, a nice malting. They call it a cross between an English pale ale and a Scottish ale. Uh, okay. That combination is dumb. Naming this beer "90 Shilling" is dumb. It's a drinkable American ("Colorado ale" as they call it) amber; a bad Scottish ale because of too much boring American hopping; a bad English pale ale because it's too sweet. This is an average micro-beer 10 years beyond deserving recognition. Now it's just a quaint player in a market full of dynamic offerings.

09-19-2004 05:04:24 | More by gbontrag
Smashum

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

08-18-2014 18:55:41 | More by Smashum
litheum94

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

12 oz bottle. Date stamp 9/17/11A. Reviewed on 6/26/11.

Pour: A thick, dirty white head pours out of the bottle, protecting a ruddy colored body. The head settles to a thin, dense cover, leaving foam clinging to the side of the glass.

Aromas: 'Meaty' aromas, with some smoke and a hint of saltiness. Some caramel sweetness, and some earthy qualities from the yeast. Hint of floral hops.

Mouth: Kola nut flavors, with a vague caramel sweetness. Bready malts, thick and nutty. Very creamy mid-palate. Slight smoke, and some vanilla flavors. Very light hopping on the finish. There's a very weird taste left in my mouth. Vaguely medicinal.

Not quite sure what to make of the finish, but it ruins this beer for me. I can't explain it at all, which I know doesn't help, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I was disappointed by this beer.

07-11-2011 00:40:51 | More by litheum94
SanDiegoBeerLove

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

A - Pours a darker reddish Brown with a finger of head leaving a light film.

S - Smells of Brown Sugar, Malts, Fragrant Hops, Scotch and Hot Dogs.

T - Tastes of Caramel, Minerals, Red Fruits, Citrus, and Red Apples. This beer does have weird taste that is hard to describe, it's almost like a burnt Hop bitterness.

M - Good Mouthfeel and a little tannic.

D - Drinkability is good but one is enough for me.

This beer is average for the style with a unique taste that I don't like too much.

09-27-2010 00:40:23 | More by SanDiegoBeerLove
blakelive784

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Served on tap into a generic pint glass -

A - non-transparent, dark copper/amber color with a creamy, off white, one finger head that dissipates quickly.

S - Not a very strong aroma. Cream, some caramel malt and no hops on the nose. I think its a bit cold, though.

T - better than the nose predicted. Buscuity and caramel malts nicely balanced by floral hops. Decent bitterness.

M - medium to full bodied and wet. Compliments the taste nicel

D - could be a decent session beer and widely available here in Fort Collins. That being said, I don't think its a great example of the style.

09-30-2011 01:30:12 | More by blakelive784
Halcyondays

2.98/5  rDev -23%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a dark amber, with a thick soapy white head. Thick lace.

S: Burnt toast, some bitter melon, bonfire, not really an appealing smell.

T: Lots of toast/grain flavour. Light hop - lemon/soil, has an American influence for sure.

M: Medium-bodied, crisp, nice overall body.

D: Another one of my must tries in AZ, I wasn't a huge fan of this, but I guess you can't like 'em all.

07-31-2010 18:29:58 | More by Halcyondays