Odell 90 Shilling Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-27-2001

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell 90 Shilling Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 428 | Hads: 1,523
3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

Good, but after the way it poured and appeared in the glass, then the wonderful aroma....I was pumped! But truthfully, after tasting, I was disappointed. Wouldn't buy it again. I know I'm in the minority here but it left alot to be desired for me. Probably just my palate and not the beer. (289 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -18.5%

Of the Odell's offerings, I'm most fond of the Five Barrel, but this 90 Shilling is one of the more common and widely distributed.

A credible but undistinguished exhibit of the amber style, the 90 Shilling outclasses New Belgium's Fat Tire, but is an otherwise average offering. It's heavily malty too my taste, both in the nose and the flavoring. There are some observable fruit notes, but overall the taste is unbalanced in favor of the malt.

If you like ambers, give it a try, but keep your expectations reasonable. (522 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle poured into nonic

L: standard amber, clear but with hundreds of little specs suspended in column; huge, thick tan head of foam that is super sticky at the top ... also keeps a fantastic collar and skin, very latte foamy thick; really cool lacing

S: corn, alcohol, medicine/rubbing alcohol smell, earth/dirt ... slight caramel underneath

T: corn, barley, grain ... has some medicinal/alcohol taste that's not super hot like the vodka-shots taste of a young, fresh, boozy imperial stout, but it's noticeable; dirt ... full-on earthy hops? or more of that alcohol taste? it's hard to tell, but it could be a bitter hop bite of English-style hops

F: fine all-around, decent carbonation

O: very underwhelming ... I expected much more malt sweetness or malt flavor of some kind, but it's mostly corn/grain and rubbing alcohol. possibly I have a very old six-pack here, but I also figured this malt-forward style would age well. I hate to rip a beer in a style I'm not well-versed in, but this tastes like one of the many bland blonde ales craft brewers use to lure BMC drinkers -- kind of an all-around dud except for that big, fluffy, sticky head (1,167 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Mahogany with copper hues, not quite ruby. Mostly clear with sparse, coarse haze or fine flecks. Off-white, pillowy, but weak head. Smells of grains, almost pilsner-like. Perhaps sweeter — caramel I guess. Definitely caramel, seemed to come out more after the head dissipated. Malty perfection, a touch toasty, but not much else there on the palate. A mild bitter bite at the end. As with aromas, reminds me more of a Pilsner (a Märzen would have made more sense) than it does a Scotch, which is a little strange, but makes for an interesting beer. My guess is that the grain bill contained slightly less dark malts, but that they were still slightly darker than you'd typically find in this style. Light-to medium bodied, lightly gum-warming, with pleasant, foaming carbonation, all making for a surprisingly smooth and crisp quaff. A good beer, but I hate to say it, a vastly overrated beer. I honestly am stunned by how highly it's been rated here. I mean to each his own, but come on!

Note: after finishing my review I decided to check out this brew at Odell's own website. According to them it is essentially an amber ale, even though their intention was to brew a "lighter Scottish Ale." And now, looking at the description here on this site, it is also referred to as an "Amber." It all makes sense now (except the ratings). Compared to your average Amber Ale, though, it seems lighter in body and IBUs, with less caramel character in the malt. (1,455 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

We couldn't get Odell beers in Indiana, so when we moved to Arizona I fell in love. Their beers are really good, and I haven't been disappointed with anything I have had from them. For example, their IPA is delicious. Their double IPA, while not that hoppy, is a nice smooth flavor. They even do a double black IPA that is amazing! They recently dropped the price to $3.99 at Total Wine & More, and I grabbed a case!

Today we are doing the 90 Shilling. I have not had this beer, and have no idea what to expect. It's an ale… go figure! There is a wine associate at Total Wine that I chat with from time to time. He doesn't "get" beer and always jokes, "Any new ales or lagers in today?" He's funny!

This is a new journey for me and Odell, and I can't wait to drink this!

In the Glass: The beer is a light brown and has a nice thin white head. The lace is pretty good, and hang on to the side of the glass. It drops slowly, and just begs to be drank. Knowing what I do about Odell beers, I assume this is going to be great!

Nose: It smells like an ale. Not much going on in the nose, and I am getting subtle spices toward the end. Not much here, and I am not sure what that says about the flavor. Let's drink.

Flavor: There is a LOT more flavor here than I expected. At first there isn't much going on, and then as the beer slides across the back of the palate, the bubbles explode on the back of the tongue. The flavors I am getting are earthy and remind me a Washington state chardonnay. If you close your eyes, you can picture licking dirty rocks and chewing on pine cones. It's not a bad flavor, but it has a good earthy flavor that keeps me drinking.

Oh, and I will mention, that while writing this, I started chatting with JoShua McGuire (@Shua_MC on Twitter) about Odell and this beer. He seems to like the 90 Shilling and was drinking a Lugene when we were talking. Speaking of Lugene, if you like milk stouts, try it. But if you want to try a beer cocktail with that as the base, take 1 ounce of whipped cream or marshmallow puff vodka, mix the two together, and enjoy. You won't be sorry!)

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel starts thin and balanced, and then about halfway back it explodes with bubbles and those earthy flavors that I was talking about. It has a really nice complexity as you swallow, and the aftertaste (which is my favorite part of this beer) kicks in. Every time I swallow those flavors come rushing back to the surface. This is getting better as it heats up, too.

Aftertaste: I keep going back to those earthy flavors, but that is what I am tasting here. I wouldn't call this a dirty flavor, but it has a nice complexity that would pair nicely with food. I bet this would pair nicely with grilled meats or fried chicken. Maybe we can take a trip to Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles and see. Highly out they have the 90 Shilling available, though!

Odell didn't let me down, but they also didn't blow me away with this offering. It's good, but not great. I would order this again, and will actually be looking for this on draft. I bet this is really good on draft. I bet this would even make a good cask beer. I can see this being served at room temperature. If you are a fan of Odell Brewing Company, then this should be a staple in your daily drinking. (3,284 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17%

A gift leftover from one of my glorious catsitters. Alfred thanks you.
Dark amber, quite clear, looking lovely. A dominant malt character persists in the aroma, some sweet barley, a dominant caramel. The flavor is very similar, with a very dextrinous mouthfeel. Starchy. No smokiness, despite the fact I'm sitting beside a fire whilst sipping upon this beer. I really need some smokiness here. Even some subtle smoking might go a long ways here. Instead, it feels like something caught between styles, though, as an amber ale, I'd probably score this a little bt higher. (570 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

A - Crystal clear amber in color. Poured with a single finger off white to tan head that sticks around for a few minutes.

S - Nice roasty character with hint of cinnamon/nutmeg.

T - Sweet and roasty, the spiciness playing a slighter larger role in the foreground flavors. The slight amount of hop bitterness balances out the character of the beer well and provides a pleasant finish.

M - On the heavier side of light bodied. It could stand to have a little more legs in the department

D - Overall a decent refreshing lighter beer. (535 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: A rich amber color with a thin tan head.

Smell: I sensed the smell of floral hops and malt.

Taste: A mellow malty sweetness with a somewhat sour aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thin mouthfeel with a small amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: A nice take on a Scottish Ale. (289 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

90 Shilling Ale pours a dark clear and cooper color with a nice lacing head. There is a weak aroma with a sharp malty note present. The taste has a nice sharp and peaty malty taste. Flavors are overall rather weak. Overall nothing to special, it is a very average. (264 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

On tap at Manning's in Minneapolis, not a place known for lesser-known beers.

Pours the color of heated caramel, very opaque. Nice head makes up for the otherwise unimpressive appearance.

Smell is a little caramel, somewhat earthy, quite a bit of malt. A bit hard to pick up on.

Taste: Caramel is a bit more pronounced, maybe this beer takes the malt a little bit too far. Pretty good, not lip-smacking good though.

Adequate mouthfeel, found it more of a sipper despite the low ABV.

This was all right. It's the best beer on tap by far at a place like Manning's, so under those circumstances I'd get it again, but that's about the extent of it. (649 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz bottle, pilsener, unreadable date. The date is raised bumps on a paper label and only part of the first numeral and the last three have been well transferred.

Let me start with the comments that I put this beer into a mixed six-pack expecting a Scotch Wee Heavy. Branding, naming, marketing this with the name 90 Schilling is going to confuse people, Odell! And some of them will be upset because they've been on a Scotch ale jag and to get an amber ale is going to seriously throw a wrench into their expectations.

On the darker, brownish side of amber. The head is just off-white and sudsy. Not much of a lacer.

Not a strong nose, but leans towards a lightened version of a Scottish ale as the label refers to. Caramel, caramelized sugar, even a bit of the smokiness (though I could just be wanting it to be there), deep fruit, earthy hop.

Instead of doubling down on the promising but faint nose, the flavors have retreated a half step. Reflections of the caramel malt join grain as the main component The finish is some grain astringency, tea, and hop bitterness.

I think my score speaks for the mouthfeel. In the world of amber ales this is middlin.

Edit: Odell has a red ale that they call 'Red'. To me, wtf, is appropriate here; why do they need two products in this category? Why not have an actual 90 Schilling? (1,334 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -13.6%

This is a good malty drinking beer. Something to session on or have with a meal. Not all that impressive stand alone, but a good session and food pairing brew. (159 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -13.6%

12 oz bottle obtained from Westminster Liquor (Colorado) in Jan 2005 and consumed that same evening. Review from notes. No sediment and a hard pour to get a 3 finger light tan/beige head. Just barely cloudy and light brown. Smells of toffee caramel, chocolate, and a hint of roasted grains. Tastes mild. Not much flavor to start and the ending flavors rise slowly. Late I get chocoalte and tofee with some raisin. Very late I get a hint of chalky from Vienna (or Munich) malt. It has a sourish finish that's kinda dry. not quite a cherry-like sour. Also some acid from the carbonation rising off my tastebuds in the flat of my tongue. Light body. This doesn't do it for me...if they could put a flavor up front when the beer first touches the tongue it would be much more intersting. Decent lacing on the glass. (811 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

A decent beer, nothing exceptional, a dark copper and red appearance, aroma reveals nothing.

Taste, not a malt bomb, but no discernable hop quotient either. Mildly enjoyable, but taste's like a Colorado version of SA Boston Lager/Red Ale.

Mouthfeel, turns to that earth feel, heavier, woodier, less like beer. Drinkable, yes, it doesn't turn you off to having another, just the price aspect of it does. (405 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured a clear dark amber with a big frothy head that lasted for quite a while. Aroma was pretty much non-existent at first, but slight hops and malt became detectable as the beer warmed and the head disappeared. Light and slightly sweet malt flavours with a slight bitter finish. It was a pretty smooth and easy drinking beer and certainly one that you can drink several of without even noticing.. (398 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -12.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Big, fluffy and light, light-tan head retained nicely. Copper beer, quite clear, with hints of deeper brown.

S-Sweet toffee with a hint of graininess.

T-Again, sweet toffee maltiness, with a bit of chocolatey dryness. Hop bitterness really takes a back seat and allows the malts to shine in this one. Caramel hints come through as the flavor progresses, heading to a semi-sweet tasting finish.

M-Moderate body with an easy, far-from-overwhelming carbonation.

D-A tasty beer, definately a good one to be Odell's flagship brew. Very flavorful for this easy of drinking, without bogging me down too much. (648 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -12.3%

We sampled this one at the Odell Taproom with some friends, a few Saturdays ago. Poured a nice, medium amber color, with some good light tan foam on top. Aromas of biscuit, light caramel and hops. On the palate, light to medium bodied, with a little caramel, some biscuit and a kiss of hops. (291 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -12.3%

Amber color with a two finger off white head with nice retention. The aroma is very light, but has some caramel malt. Unfortunately, I cannot pick anything else up.

The taste has some sweet caramel, roasted malt, and a light hop flavor not noticeable in the aroma. Light to medium bodied, decent carbonation, and pretty good drinkability. (340 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at The Cherry Cricket in Denver, CO.

Pours a clear amber color with a 1/2 inch white head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Thick rings of lace form on the glass on the drink down. The only smell I get from this beer is malt. Taste is of toasty malt/biscuit flavors. This beer has good carbonation with a nice crisp and clean moutfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but the smell and taste is pretty one dimensional. I think I would like to try this one again from a bottle to see how it compares. (522 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

Dark amber colour with tinges of copper and a thin, foamy white to tan-brown coloured head that settles to a thin lace.

Lighter hops and some mild fruity aromas coming through at the start of this one. It's not especially strong on the nose but it pleasant and is backed up with some light tropical notes and a helping of vanilla and caramel malts. There is also a touch of pine and some sweetness.

Nice light hops and a mild tropical fruit aroma together with some vanilla, caramel and also some nice sweet malts and toffee.

Smooth with low to medium carbonation and body along with a sweet finish that has some mild bitterness and feels creamy.

A nice beer but one that was a slight disappointment in that I was expecting a little bit more from this one. I was nice enough to taste but I felt the cabonation could have been a little stronger and there wasn't really anything to excite me or grab my attention. (915 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

A-Pours a deep,reddish brown with almost no head but decent lacing.

S-The nose is caramel malt,brown bread and golden raisin.Nothing that grabs me but not horrible either.

T-The overall taste of this beer was average.Initially there was roasted malt,a mineral/copper quality and sourdough bread
and the finish was a slight brown sugar sweetness
with some dried fruit notes.This beer needed more hop balance.

M-The body was light to medium with moderate carbonation and a dry finish.

D-I have recently realized that I am not a fan of red ales.That said,this beer was a good example of the style but just not in my list of favorites. (635 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

Murky medium brown color, huge white head, leaves a lot of sticky lacing on the side of the glass going down. Taste has a good amount of carmel malts, which accentuate the strong hop presence. The body could stand to be a little thicker, but overall this was a solid beer, goo for a fallback in times of BMC only land. (318 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured a deep amber with a light tan head that didnt stay.

Aroma and taste were all malt. Some sweet caramel, some woody tones.
It went down well, not too watery, could have had a bit more body.
Drinkability was high, as the flavor was a bit muted (yet good). This could definately be a good session beer.
(Thanks Wasach) (327 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

Nice tan head over a dark copper brown color. Aromas of soft dried fruits and some candy malts. Also a slight floral hop aroma. The flavors are powered by a fruity and caramel malt structure. The hops are piney and well balanced. Somewhat light for a scottish. The body has an average medium feel. Refreshing beer with some pub food. A good drinker. (349 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle into my nonic pint glass. Appears a clear amber color with barely half an inch of thin off-white foam. The head fades quickly leaving no lace. Smells of lightly toasted grain along with a pronounced nuttiness as well as some apple and pear notes. Tastes of sweet malt, bread, roasty grain and bitter hops. Medium in body with mild to medium carbonation. Not a bad beer but IMO, more like an amber than a scotch ale. Worth a try though. (468 characters)

Odell 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Company