Odell 90 Shilling Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell 90 Shilling AleOdell 90 Shilling Ale

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.30% ABV

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell 90 Shilling Ale Alström Bros
AlbertVogler

06-13-2013 19:09:48 | More by djre4orm
irish53b

Nebraska

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

Tried on-tap in a pint glass. Not much of a head, but a film of foam remained throughout. A tarnished penny color that gets darker at the core.

Smell and taste, biscuit aromas and flavors with an alcohol sting to finish. The beer reminded me a lot of amber ale, almost like New Belgium Fat Tire. Finishes on the dry side.

Mouthfeel was just right, light enough to be refreshing with enough heft not to be wimpy. The mouthfeel was actualy the best attribute of the beer.

Drinkability, the alcohol sting and the dry finish doesn't make me a fan of this beer and I don't think I could down more than a couple of these in one session.

05-18-2007 14:30:11 | More by irish53b
KajII

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

[Suggested Glassware: Nonic Pint]

The pour was a clear dark copper with an average (1-2 finger) off white foamy head that steadily reduced, down to a puddled film and medium collar with fair streaky lacing.

The aroma was of a toasted light bread malt, mild grassy hops and an earthy yeast with notes of caramel, toffee and a mild spiciness.

The taste was very malty with a mild caramel sweetness at first, but quickly became bitter sweet with an earthy and mildly spicy finish. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow with a mild sweet bitterness left behind.

Mouthfeel was in the middle of light and medium in body with a dry texture and an very soft carbonation.

Overall this was a brew that did not have much complexity. Although what it did have seemed to work well enough, allowing for the bitter and sweet to meld together along with a good malty feel creating a nice smooth drinkability...

12-12-2012 21:01:59 | More by KajII
tr4nc3d

Kansas

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a dark copper like color with ruby highlights. Creamy two finger off-white head that stays for a decent amount. Big and small bubbles are left on top of the beer scattered around and some lacing is left clinging to the glass. Good appearance.

Smells like prunes, dark cherries, scotch, bread like malts.

Taste is very gentle of malts, some light hops, and notes of caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium body with light carbonation

I can see people having more then one of these due to low percentage of alcohol, not myself though.

04-08-2009 03:26:58 | More by tr4nc3d
kojevergas

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Served on draught into a hefeweissbier glass in Colorado. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice cream, fair thickness, and good retention. Colour is an amber-copper.

Sm: A light scent in which all I can detect is cream on account of my broken nose. All apologies, lads.

T: Cream, caramel, amber hops, caramelized malt, and full barley. Simple but nicely built. Balanced decently.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Fairly complementary of the flavours.

Dr: Nice drinkability at a very expensive price (6 USD).
Good quality. I'd have it again, but not at this price.

08-21-2011 00:42:02 | More by kojevergas
mblk6062

3.09/5  rDev -20.2%

Good, but after the way it poured and appeared in the glass, then the wonderful aroma....I was pumped! But truthfully, after tasting, I was disappointed. Wouldn't buy it again. I know I'm in the minority here but it left alot to be desired for me. Probably just my palate and not the beer.

06-07-2014 21:31:22 | More by mblk6062
sogrady

Maine

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Of the Odell's offerings, I'm most fond of the Five Barrel, but this 90 Shilling is one of the more common and widely distributed.

A credible but undistinguished exhibit of the amber style, the 90 Shilling outclasses New Belgium's Fat Tire, but is an otherwise average offering. It's heavily malty too my taste, both in the nose and the flavoring. There are some observable fruit notes, but overall the taste is unbalanced in favor of the malt.

If you like ambers, give it a try, but keep your expectations reasonable.

09-15-2010 02:19:05 | More by sogrady
kpoole25

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

A bit on the light side (as the label states), fairly decent but didn't excite me. 12 oz bottle to glass, copper color. Nice fresh nose, a little fruity. Taste mostly had malt (maybe a little bit of roasted flavor), and did have some hops, more than most of the few Scottish ales I've had. Not sure I'd get again, just OK for me.

11-25-2009 03:34:53 | More by kpoole25
herman77

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Carmel brown, small beige head. Good amount of lacing.

S: Not much here, slight grainy, sweet malt, brown sugar, a tad earthy.

T: Sweet, dry barley to start with a little bit of malt biscuit and hop bitterness. Its kind of bland tasting. Nothing special at all.

M/D: Medium to light body, average carbonation. A touch creamy. Drinkability is dece at best. After a pint I was ready for something else.

A little disappointed with this one, too bland. I was expecting more.

06-06-2010 03:57:51 | More by herman77
jawas

3.12/5  rDev -19.4%

08-19-2014 04:44:55 | More by jawas
dragonWhale

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

A gift leftover from one of my glorious catsitters. Alfred thanks you.
Dark amber, quite clear, looking lovely. A dominant malt character persists in the aroma, some sweet barley, a dominant caramel. The flavor is very similar, with a very dextrinous mouthfeel. Starchy. No smokiness, despite the fact I'm sitting beside a fire whilst sipping upon this beer. I really need some smokiness here. Even some subtle smoking might go a long ways here. Instead, it feels like something caught between styles, though, as an amber ale, I'd probably score this a little bt higher.

01-07-2011 11:34:15 | More by dragonWhale
rickyleepotts

3.24/5  rDev -16.3%

We couldn't get Odell beers in Indiana, so when we moved to Arizona I fell in love. Their beers are really good, and I haven't been disappointed with anything I have had from them. For example, their IPA is delicious. Their double IPA, while not that hoppy, is a nice smooth flavor. They even do a double black IPA that is amazing! They recently dropped the price to $3.99 at Total Wine & More, and I grabbed a case!

Today we are doing the 90 Shilling. I have not had this beer, and have no idea what to expect. It's an ale… go figure! There is a wine associate at Total Wine that I chat with from time to time. He doesn't "get" beer and always jokes, "Any new ales or lagers in today?" He's funny!

This is a new journey for me and Odell, and I can't wait to drink this!

In the Glass: The beer is a light brown and has a nice thin white head. The lace is pretty good, and hang on to the side of the glass. It drops slowly, and just begs to be drank. Knowing what I do about Odell beers, I assume this is going to be great!

Nose: It smells like an ale. Not much going on in the nose, and I am getting subtle spices toward the end. Not much here, and I am not sure what that says about the flavor. Let's drink.

Flavor: There is a LOT more flavor here than I expected. At first there isn't much going on, and then as the beer slides across the back of the palate, the bubbles explode on the back of the tongue. The flavors I am getting are earthy and remind me a Washington state chardonnay. If you close your eyes, you can picture licking dirty rocks and chewing on pine cones. It's not a bad flavor, but it has a good earthy flavor that keeps me drinking.

Oh, and I will mention, that while writing this, I started chatting with JoShua McGuire (@Shua_MC on Twitter) about Odell and this beer. He seems to like the 90 Shilling and was drinking a Lugene when we were talking. Speaking of Lugene, if you like milk stouts, try it. But if you want to try a beer cocktail with that as the base, take 1 ounce of whipped cream or marshmallow puff vodka, mix the two together, and enjoy. You won't be sorry!)

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel starts thin and balanced, and then about halfway back it explodes with bubbles and those earthy flavors that I was talking about. It has a really nice complexity as you swallow, and the aftertaste (which is my favorite part of this beer) kicks in. Every time I swallow those flavors come rushing back to the surface. This is getting better as it heats up, too.

Aftertaste: I keep going back to those earthy flavors, but that is what I am tasting here. I wouldn't call this a dirty flavor, but it has a nice complexity that would pair nicely with food. I bet this would pair nicely with grilled meats or fried chicken. Maybe we can take a trip to Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles and see. Highly out they have the 90 Shilling available, though!

Odell didn't let me down, but they also didn't blow me away with this offering. It's good, but not great. I would order this again, and will actually be looking for this on draft. I bet this is really good on draft. I bet this would even make a good cask beer. I can see this being served at room temperature. If you are a fan of Odell Brewing Company, then this should be a staple in your daily drinking.

02-21-2013 21:11:58 | More by rickyleepotts
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

3.24/5  rDev -16.3%

90 Shilling Ale pours a dark clear and cooper color with a nice lacing head. There is a weak aroma with a sharp malty note present. The taste has a nice sharp and peaty malty taste. Flavors are overall rather weak. Overall nothing to special, it is a very average.

09-14-2013 22:55:31 | More by vette2006c5r
FrognutUnl

3.25/5  rDev -16%

A - Crystal clear amber in color. Poured with a single finger off white to tan head that sticks around for a few minutes.

S - Nice roasty character with hint of cinnamon/nutmeg.

T - Sweet and roasty, the spiciness playing a slighter larger role in the foreground flavors. The slight amount of hop bitterness balances out the character of the beer well and provides a pleasant finish.

M - On the heavier side of light bodied. It could stand to have a little more legs in the department

D - Overall a decent refreshing lighter beer.

09-29-2009 01:33:09 | More by FrognutUnl
ExpendableCrewman

11-22-2013 23:02:14 | More by ExpendableCrewman
BeerBuffalo

11-06-2013 22:00:04 | More by BeerBuffalo
brewerburgundy

3.25/5  rDev -16%

12oz bottle, pilsener, unreadable date. The date is raised bumps on a paper label and only part of the first numeral and the last three have been well transferred.

Let me start with the comments that I put this beer into a mixed six-pack expecting a Scotch Wee Heavy. Branding, naming, marketing this with the name 90 Schilling is going to confuse people, Odell! And some of them will be upset because they've been on a Scotch ale jag and to get an amber ale is going to seriously throw a wrench into their expectations.

On the darker, brownish side of amber. The head is just off-white and sudsy. Not much of a lacer.

Not a strong nose, but leans towards a lightened version of a Scottish ale as the label refers to. Caramel, caramelized sugar, even a bit of the smokiness (though I could just be wanting it to be there), deep fruit, earthy hop.

Instead of doubling down on the promising but faint nose, the flavors have retreated a half step. Reflections of the caramel malt join grain as the main component The finish is some grain astringency, tea, and hop bitterness.

I think my score speaks for the mouthfeel. In the world of amber ales this is middlin.

Edit: Odell has a red ale that they call 'Red'. To me, wtf, is appropriate here; why do they need two products in this category? Why not have an actual 90 Schilling?

01-25-2010 04:49:37 | More by brewerburgundy