Odell 90 Shilling Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell 90 Shilling AleOdell 90 Shilling Ale

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.30% ABV

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell 90 Shilling Ale Alström Bros

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Tried on-tap in a pint glass. Not much of a head, but a film of foam remained throughout. A tarnished penny color that gets darker at the core.

Smell and taste, biscuit aromas and flavors with an alcohol sting to finish. The beer reminded me a lot of amber ale, almost like New Belgium Fat Tire. Finishes on the dry side.

Mouthfeel was just right, light enough to be refreshing with enough heft not to be wimpy. The mouthfeel was actualy the best attribute of the beer.

Drinkability, the alcohol sting and the dry finish doesn't make me a fan of this beer and I don't think I could down more than a couple of these in one session.

3.04/5  rDev -21.6%

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

[Suggested Glassware: Nonic Pint]

The pour was a clear dark copper with an average (1-2 finger) off white foamy head that steadily reduced, down to a puddled film and medium collar with fair streaky lacing.

The aroma was of a toasted light bread malt, mild grassy hops and an earthy yeast with notes of caramel, toffee and a mild spiciness.

The taste was very malty with a mild caramel sweetness at first, but quickly became bitter sweet with an earthy and mildly spicy finish. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow with a mild sweet bitterness left behind.

Mouthfeel was in the middle of light and medium in body with a dry texture and an very soft carbonation.

Overall this was a brew that did not have much complexity. Although what it did have seemed to work well enough, allowing for the bitter and sweet to meld together along with a good malty feel creating a nice smooth drinkability...

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a dark copper like color with ruby highlights. Creamy two finger off-white head that stays for a decent amount. Big and small bubbles are left on top of the beer scattered around and some lacing is left clinging to the glass. Good appearance.

Smells like prunes, dark cherries, scotch, bread like malts.

Taste is very gentle of malts, some light hops, and notes of caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium body with light carbonation

I can see people having more then one of these due to low percentage of alcohol, not myself though.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Served on draught into a hefeweissbier glass in Colorado. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice cream, fair thickness, and good retention. Colour is an amber-copper.

Sm: A light scent in which all I can detect is cream on account of my broken nose. All apologies, lads.

T: Cream, caramel, amber hops, caramelized malt, and full barley. Simple but nicely built. Balanced decently.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Fairly complementary of the flavours.

Dr: Nice drinkability at a very expensive price (6 USD).
Good quality. I'd have it again, but not at this price.

3.09/5  rDev -20.4%

Good, but after the way it poured and appeared in the glass, then the wonderful aroma....I was pumped! But truthfully, after tasting, I was disappointed. Wouldn't buy it again. I know I'm in the minority here but it left alot to be desired for me. Probably just my palate and not the beer.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Of the Odell's offerings, I'm most fond of the Five Barrel, but this 90 Shilling is one of the more common and widely distributed.

A credible but undistinguished exhibit of the amber style, the 90 Shilling outclasses New Belgium's Fat Tire, but is an otherwise average offering. It's heavily malty too my taste, both in the nose and the flavoring. There are some observable fruit notes, but overall the taste is unbalanced in favor of the malt.

If you like ambers, give it a try, but keep your expectations reasonable.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

A bit on the light side (as the label states), fairly decent but didn't excite me. 12 oz bottle to glass, copper color. Nice fresh nose, a little fruity. Taste mostly had malt (maybe a little bit of roasted flavor), and did have some hops, more than most of the few Scottish ales I've had. Not sure I'd get again, just OK for me.

Odell 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Company