Odell 90 Shilling Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-27-2001

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell 90 Shilling Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,490 | Reviews: 444
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

I found it interesting this is an interpretation of a toned down iscotch ale. Certainly well balanced as far as hops and malts are concerned. A smoky taste of molasses and malts get a pick me up from the zestiness, and crispiness of the hops. Giving the 90 schilling a refreshing mouth feel. Very enjoyable to drink. I would imagine it pairs very well with many types of food as well as it fits drinking as a session. A nice pick me up of a buzz as well. A good selection to make, especially if you have never had the pleasure.

This one was pretty good. While subtle, I quite enjoyed it. This was my first foray into the Scottish/Scot/Wee Heavy styles. I think I would like more robust flavors but this one would be good for throwing a few back. Something you probably can't do with the stronger ones.

There were flavors of malt, biscuit, and caramel. Slight hints in behind of dark fruit, such as raisins and fig. A slight nuttiness in there and perhaps just the smallest kiss of smoke. It all finishes with a ever so slight hop crispness at the end.

Would purchase again if available.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Huge fluffy head, white and very bubbly, the body is crystal clear, medium amber colored and filled with carbonation.
Smell:
Mild hops and malts, there are some strong sugary aromas, caramel and light chocolate appear after a few minutes. There is also a strong fruity smell, almost like a mixture of raisins and dates mixed in with some summer grass.
Taste:
There’s a fruity flavors that just overtakes the whole beer, again I can’t quite make out what it is but you can taste some raisins, brown sugar. The caramel starts off strong and quickly fades as it warms up giving way to more citrusy flavors.
Mouthfeel:
Light bodied, smooth.
Overall:
This is a fantastic ale, goes down smooth and a =m=n awesome flavor.

2.11/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a shaker pint at approximately 40 degress F.

Appearance: Pours into the glass a hazy amber, towards the reddish-orange side of he amber hue spectrum. Forms a very thin head of almost light orange bubbles, which rapidly become a cap and ring. Held to light, one can very faintly make out a few streams of tiny bubbles heading skyward from the bottom of the glass. I admit some degree of trepidation, as I have found that I tend not to see orange in a beer unless it has a noticeable hop presence.

Smell: No, I showered today. Ba dum bump. The aroma opens with light, sweet caramel malt, wreathed through with some subtle suggestions of fruit - pear, raisin, and something citrusy. A soft grassy tone is off in the distance, like a fuzzy horizon.

Taste: Caramel malt with some vague toffee hints spills onto the tongue first, and then the 90-ton citric-herbal-earthy hoproller cruises in to crush it into nonexistence - leaving just perfume on my palate. Definitely not what I look for in a Scotch ale.

Mouthfeel: Difficult to tell around the full frontal assault on my tastebuds, if I'm being honest. I suppose it feels like a Scotch ale.

Overall: Once again, my sensitivity to hop flavors has me arching an eyebrow at anyone who has reviewed this beer as "malty" and mentioned nothing of any hop presence at all. They are literally all I get out of this beer, aside from a brief flash of caramel malt at the outset. Will not repeat.

4.88/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The other beer, besides 5 barrel, that made me realize long ago that Odell is the TRUTH.

Get some.

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

this is one of my favorite styles of beer and I really do enjoy this one, could use a tad more punch, ABV is around 5, kinda light for this style, plus it very hard to get in my area

4.34/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers ever.

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

A very good beer. I thought it was going to be heavily hopped, but it wasn't. Nice balance.

3.31/5  rDev -14.7%

This is a good malty drinking beer. Something to session on or have with a meal. Not all that impressive stand alone, but a good session and food pairing brew.

I do not write reviews.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good. Tastes similar to Rahr's Iron Thistle, but not as flavorful. Still a good beer though.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle poured into nonic

L: standard amber, clear but with hundreds of little specs suspended in column; huge, thick tan head of foam that is super sticky at the top ... also keeps a fantastic collar and skin, very latte foamy thick; really cool lacing

S: corn, alcohol, medicine/rubbing alcohol smell, earth/dirt ... slight caramel underneath

T: corn, barley, grain ... has some medicinal/alcohol taste that's not super hot like the vodka-shots taste of a young, fresh, boozy imperial stout, but it's noticeable; dirt ... full-on earthy hops? or more of that alcohol taste? it's hard to tell, but it could be a bitter hop bite of English-style hops

F: fine all-around, decent carbonation

O: very underwhelming ... I expected much more malt sweetness or malt flavor of some kind, but it's mostly corn/grain and rubbing alcohol. possibly I have a very old six-pack here, but I also figured this malt-forward style would age well. I hate to rip a beer in a style I'm not well-versed in, but this tastes like one of the many bland blonde ales craft brewers use to lure BMC drinkers -- kind of an all-around dud except for that big, fluffy, sticky head

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a medium sized snifter glass.

An absolutely shimmering and crystal clear but dark brown ruby red color. You can just perfectly see though it, even in it's great dark appearance. Head is creamy light tan, hints of white, with a big soapy triangled collar. Cream and soapy, thick out of the bottle. Toast notes are just booming off the pour already. She's a looker indeed.

Big impressive brown bread aromas. Huge amounts of bread crust. Mellow clean finish, no hop presence at all. Malt depth is airy, powdery and very clean.

Palate just brings the goods. Mellow and easy drinking toasted bread in a glass. Crackling toast I say there Grommit, hints of brown bread crust, almost rye but none of the overt spicy quality. Chewy malt with a moderate very subtle caramel that takes a backseat but shows up slightly on the aftertaste. Light bodied and borderline feeling sessionable, but with more depth by far.

Odell just can do me no wrong. A fun easy drinking Scottish ale that has fantastic bready character, without getting overly sweet, sugary, bitter, watery or anything. Odell delivers the goods.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Great beer - lots of depth but still easy to drink. One of the best in Fort Collins and any other place on earth!

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a light, amber coloring, with a fluffy, clingy, bubbly, off-white head. Nose of muted roasted caramel and nut, with earthy highlights. Flavors are roasted caramel sweet, with earthy tones, and hints of char. Smooth, slick bodied, with a roasted, sugary sweet aftertaste. Smooth, slightly cloying finish.

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: minimal off-white head, beautiful dark burnished copper color, nice lacing as it drinks down
S: fairly faint, a little dark fruit, a little citrusy hops, some biscuity malt
T: much better and richer than the nose. Caramel malts come out most fully, along with some bready biscuity toasty grains...but these are balanced by some subtle but nice and sharp hops. Balance is notable.
M: Another really nice thing about this beer. Carbonation is fairly low, but the balance between malt and hops is well-worth savoring...a little bit of prickle from the hops but great smoothness and warmth from the malt.

Overall: Very nice. Pairs really well with a good sandwich or burger.

3.64/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pint poured and it's a deep amber copper-orange, with medium visible carbonation and a slightly off-white head caked up the rim.
Smells malty and bready like a beer should. Pleasantly ok.
Tastes like an exceptionally smooth rendition of what I just smelled. There's a caramel slickness as this goes down, and it's very well-balanced to me even though it lacks additional complexities that I usually seek in beer. The hops cap it off in a mild, earthy fashion, although a bit dry.
This makes me want to splurge and get a bottle of this brewery's 180 Shilling that I've been spotting on the shelves.
I would definitely recommend this to a drinker of mass-marketed beer who is uneasy about trying something different or "crafty."

4.95/5  rDev +27.6%

My first review really should be for my favorite beer, shouldn't it? This beer goes with every food, it's perfectly balanced, and it's a great introduction to craft beer for those who have never seen the light. It's closer in style to an amber ale, which might bore some people, but don't let a classification determine what you try. Beautiful color, not too high alcohol content, not super hoppy, not too sweet, just a fantastic beer. Will have one of these anytime, anywhere.

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Amber copper color with a thick two finger head with decent retention.
Light aroma of mint, biscuit and slight toasted malts.
Flavor of toasted malts, earthy hops, spices, caramels and mild herbal mint. Finishes with a copper and mild red fruit taste. Dry aftertaste with a mild bitterness.
Light to medium body.
This is mellow, perfected balanced and refreshing Scottish ale, though not so fruity and complex as the original style. Being very clean and easy to drink, also pleasant and not tiresome.
Ap.3,5 Ar.3,25 Sab.3,75 Sens.3,75 C.3,75

Kind of nutty with nice after taste that makes you want more, plus it goes down easily.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

Scottish Ale. Now, this one is new to me. I'm counting on you BA guys to not let me down here, I got this on recommendation of the reviews! So here's my contribution :

Serving Style : 12 oz glass bottle, also poured

Appearance (3.75) : Copper and amber red hue with an average balance between clarity and obscurity. Head is sticky and hangs around like an old friend.

Smell (3.25) : Strong copper, quite a bit metallic, deep dark malts, hint of bitterness in the nose. An impressive bouquet of smells to be sure. I'm apprehensive, though...

Taste (3.25) : Hoppy and yeasty. Earthy. Totally reminiscent of Pabst Blue Ribbon but more sophisticated. Begins with a shot of coppery hops and amber wheat (adding a slight sweetness), ending with a sandpaper dry, coppery finish. A trace of bitter roasted bean remains on the palate. Overall this beer seems pretty damn impressive. I can totally respect what is going on in this beer. I just can't pinpoint if this is something I could drink often and if I'm totally sold on it.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Dry and yeasty for the most part. Interesting and crafty. Copper is the dominating adjective for this beer to be sure. Can't get rid of it.

Overall (3.45) : I had a hard time with this one. I truly wanted to give it a raving review but something was just missing for me. So yes, 90 Shilling is an impressive little beer that would be great with a friend and great for a trial run like what I'm doing here. People go crazy over it but I think it's simply a capable beer. After half the bottle I'm about spent with this one, I don't know if I would actually go out and purchase it again - but it is a good full-flavored beer and crafty too. If you're looking for something to wet your whistle, look elsewhere but if you're looking for a bouquet of interesting flavors that make you raise your eyebrow and say "hmmm" or "mmmm", you should give this one a try.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Another Odell success. Can't go wrong with these guys.

A: Beautiful warm copper/amber with subdued fizz.

S: Malt goodness with fruity overtones, biscuit undertones and a hint of something I'd call more sage than mint. Deceptively light body for the ABV. Citric hops are present but don't defeat the toasty malted flavour at all. Quite an amazing balancing act between these two actually. Aftertaste is remarkably clean and refreshing, it doesn't linger too long on the palate and leaves you wanting more.

I could session this stuff for days, given the balance and drinkability it has in spades. If you want a tasty beer that goes down real easy... look no further.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Great coppery color; very clear; decent carbonation; didn't hold its head for long

S- Toasted malts but not very aromatic however

T- Toasty with a hop-citrusy finish

M- Medium body; very smooth

O- Smooth drinking, well-balanced ale; great all-around crowd pleasing beer

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium to dark amber in color with light amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow + copper highlights. The beer has a three finger tall foamy beige head that slowly reduces to a half finger thick layer covering the entire surface of the beer with a slightly thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of caramel and toffee malts with light aromas of toasted malts.

T: Upfront the flavors of the beer are all malts - toasted and caramel with some light amounts of caramel and toffee sweetness. Light amounts of earthy hops which contribute just a touch of bitterness to the finish of the beer which does not linger for long.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth.

O: While being somewhat of a malt bomb, this beer is not overly sweet and is quite easy to drink. I really enjoyed this beer though I sometimes find the style to be a little sweeter than I prefer, especially in the hot southern summer. Overall, very well balanced between the sweet and the bitter.

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured to a pint glass at the Grand Hyatt lobby in Denver. Pours orange colored, clear, with a creamy off white head on top. Aroma of some caramel and bready malts dominate, with some light floral notes on the back end. Flavor is mostly caramel malts, bready, much like a scotch ale (this is my first "Scottish" ale). Finishes OK, with medium body and a bit of juiciness. Medium carbonation. Overall not my favorite beer but my first of the style and certainly not bad.

Odell 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Company