Odell 90 Shilling Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-27-2001

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell 90 Shilling Ale Alström Bros
2.11/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a shaker pint at approximately 40 degress F.

Appearance: Pours into the glass a hazy amber, towards the reddish-orange side of he amber hue spectrum. Forms a very thin head of almost light orange bubbles, which rapidly become a cap and ring. Held to light, one can very faintly make out a few streams of tiny bubbles heading skyward from the bottom of the glass. I admit some degree of trepidation, as I have found that I tend not to see orange in a beer unless it has a noticeable hop presence.

Smell: No, I showered today. Ba dum bump. The aroma opens with light, sweet caramel malt, wreathed through with some subtle suggestions of fruit - pear, raisin, and something citrusy. A soft grassy tone is off in the distance, like a fuzzy horizon.

Taste: Caramel malt with some vague toffee hints spills onto the tongue first, and then the 90-ton citric-herbal-earthy hoproller cruises in to crush it into nonexistence - leaving just perfume on my palate. Definitely not what I look for in a Scotch ale.

Mouthfeel: Difficult to tell around the full frontal assault on my tastebuds, if I'm being honest. I suppose it feels like a Scotch ale.

Overall: Once again, my sensitivity to hop flavors has me arching an eyebrow at anyone who has reviewed this beer as "malty" and mentioned nothing of any hop presence at all. They are literally all I get out of this beer, aside from a brief flash of caramel malt at the outset. Will not repeat.

4.88/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The other beer, besides 5 barrel, that made me realize long ago that Odell is the TRUTH.

Get some.

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

this is one of my favorite styles of beer and I really do enjoy this one, could use a tad more punch, ABV is around 5, kinda light for this style, plus it very hard to get in my area

4.34/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers ever.

3.31/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

A very good beer. I thought it was going to be heavily hopped, but it wasn't. Nice balance.

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%

3.31/5  rDev -14.7%

This is a good malty drinking beer. Something to session on or have with a meal. Not all that impressive stand alone, but a good session and food pairing brew.

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.39/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.27/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I do not write reviews.

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev +1%

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good. Tastes similar to Rahr's Iron Thistle, but not as flavorful. Still a good beer though.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle poured into nonic

L: standard amber, clear but with hundreds of little specs suspended in column; huge, thick tan head of foam that is super sticky at the top ... also keeps a fantastic collar and skin, very latte foamy thick; really cool lacing

S: corn, alcohol, medicine/rubbing alcohol smell, earth/dirt ... slight caramel underneath

T: corn, barley, grain ... has some medicinal/alcohol taste that's not super hot like the vodka-shots taste of a young, fresh, boozy imperial stout, but it's noticeable; dirt ... full-on earthy hops? or more of that alcohol taste? it's hard to tell, but it could be a bitter hop bite of English-style hops

F: fine all-around, decent carbonation

O: very underwhelming ... I expected much more malt sweetness or malt flavor of some kind, but it's mostly corn/grain and rubbing alcohol. possibly I have a very old six-pack here, but I also figured this malt-forward style would age well. I hate to rip a beer in a style I'm not well-versed in, but this tastes like one of the many bland blonde ales craft brewers use to lure BMC drinkers -- kind of an all-around dud except for that big, fluffy, sticky head

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.44/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Odell 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Company