Odell 90 Shilling Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell 90 Shilling AleOdell 90 Shilling Ale

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.30% ABV

We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we'd been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell 90 Shilling Ale Alström Bros

Kind of nutty with nice after taste that makes you want more, plus it goes down easily.

AmestrianDog, Aug 28, 2014

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

RyanTheLion13, Aug 23, 2014

crog7, Aug 23, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

Scottish Ale. Now, this one is new to me. I'm counting on you BA guys to not let me down here, I got this on recommendation of the reviews! So here's my contribution :

Serving Style : 12 oz glass bottle, also poured

Appearance (3.75) : Copper and amber red hue with an average balance between clarity and obscurity. Head is sticky and hangs around like an old friend.

Smell (3.25) : Strong copper, quite a bit metallic, deep dark malts, hint of bitterness in the nose. An impressive bouquet of smells to be sure. I'm apprehensive, though...

Taste (3.25) : Hoppy and yeasty. Earthy. Totally reminiscent of Pabst Blue Ribbon but more sophisticated. Begins with a shot of coppery hops and amber wheat (adding a slight sweetness), ending with a sandpaper dry, coppery finish. A trace of bitter roasted bean remains on the palate. Overall this beer seems pretty damn impressive. I can totally respect what is going on in this beer. I just can't pinpoint if this is something I could drink often and if I'm totally sold on it.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Dry and yeasty for the most part. Interesting and crafty. Copper is the dominating adjective for this beer to be sure. Can't get rid of it.

Overall (3.45) : I had a hard time with this one. I truly wanted to give it a raving review but something was just missing for me. So yes, 90 Shilling is an impressive little beer that would be great with a friend and great for a trial run like what I'm doing here. People go crazy over it but I think it's simply a capable beer. After half the bottle I'm about spent with this one, I don't know if I would actually go out and purchase it again - but it is a good full-flavored beer and crafty too. If you're looking for something to wet your whistle, look elsewhere but if you're looking for a bouquet of interesting flavors that make you raise your eyebrow and say "hmmm" or "mmmm", you should give this one a try.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Aug 23, 2014

Yogi_Beer, Aug 16, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Fidgas, Aug 16, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Another Odell success. Can't go wrong with these guys.

A: Beautiful warm copper/amber with subdued fizz.

S: Malt goodness with fruity overtones, biscuit undertones and a hint of something I'd call more sage than mint. Deceptively light body for the ABV. Citric hops are present but don't defeat the toasty malted flavour at all. Quite an amazing balancing act between these two actually. Aftertaste is remarkably clean and refreshing, it doesn't linger too long on the palate and leaves you wanting more.

I could session this stuff for days, given the balance and drinkability it has in spades. If you want a tasty beer that goes down real easy... look no further.

Sam-B, Aug 16, 2014