Odell Isolation Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 674 | Reviews: 245
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

2005 edition, claims to be 6.1% this year.

Not much to add to previous reviews except that this feels as malty as a Doppelbock. Good hop and malt balance, with the lots of malt sweetness kept under control by decent piney and bitter hopping.

Worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz bottle with a drink by Feb 13 on it

Amber reddish hue to this beer with off white 2 finger head that lasted a few minutes , nice lacing

Very enjoyable aroma to this beer, nothing really over powers anything else in the smell ,malty with a spice back ground sweet smelling also

This beer gets better to me with each drink , not that I didnt enjoy the first but the last few drinks made it one of my new favorites. First come of drinks I could taste sweet start with a dry alcohol finish but it all blended together in the end but the alcohol still kind of turned up at the end

Over all this is a great beer to me , I will be buying a couple of six packs Saturday when I go to the state line

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look- color is a clear brown, with lots of bubble activity within the beer, pours a quarter finger of white head comprised of big bubbles that dissipate quickly, leaving a thin ring of lacing.

Smell-Grainy, toasted malts and a bit of hop earthy notes as well as a bit of hop funk.

Taste- similar to aroma, toasty, grainy, malt which is quickly followed by a sharp bite of grassy hop, hop oils in the finish.

Feel- Crisp, yet moist on the tongue, lots of carbonation but not overwhelming.

Overall- a nicely balanced beer, lots of contrast going on, a cool take on the winter warmer style. very interesting and well worth trying.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

2005/06 Edition. Bottle is of the new packaging.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, the beer is an orangish brown, not fully clear. While the beer poured with an off white head about 1/4 inch thick, it did not stand the test of time, actually not even a minute. Faded to a ring around the glass. Spotty lacing as the beer is consumed.

Smell: Predominately malty, slight sweetness as expected, but balanced with some piney hop aromas as well. Good, but not great. As the beer warms there seems to be something a little whiskeyish about this as well.

Taste: Malt seems to dominate this one for me. There is a definite hop bitterness to it near the finish, but as I quaff the beer I get less of that and more sweet maltyness, some roasted malt, some caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, lightly carbonated, a touch dry on the finish. A good winter beer. Slight alcohol burn in the throat.

Drinkability: While this is drinkable, I will say I always expect and hope for more, but am always somewhat let down. I love the other Odell beers that I have had, but I just can't fully get behind this one. Still, it's worth a try, though.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.96/5  rDev +1%

4.39/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: This beer was a reddish, amber color. It had a thin, tan head that dissipated quickly and left hardly any lace on the glass. Not the prettiest beer I've ever seen.

Smell: A light malty aroma that had a roasted hint to it.

Mouthfeel: While this beer was fairly smooth and full, it could have had more body for my tastes.

Taste: Damn, this was one good beer. It had a crsip, refreshing hoppiness to it that I wasn't expecting, especially since I didn't detect much hops in the aroma. It was balanced almost perfectly with a wonderful maltiness. This glass went down smooth and fast, leaving me wanting more.

I really loved this beer. It was my first tasting of this brew, and I plan on picking up more sometime soon. It was different than other beers I have seen labeled as a winter ale. It was lighter in color, had less malty sweetness, and had a much more pronounced crisp hoppiness than most other beers that I have tried in this style. But, man, was it delicious.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Odell is a great brewery, and I keep trying the Isolation Ale thinking I should like it and never warm up to it completely.

Thin white head with a lace over a copper colored ale that changes from gold to amber in the bar light. Strong malt, caramel and toffee in the nose--subtle spice from the hop and a hotness from the alcohol. Newcastle like malt taste, but much hoppier and it has a mineral twang over sweet caramel and toffee. Fruity and floral hop punches through the apparent alcohol (6% accroding to BA). Good beer, well brewed--I'm just not a fan of it.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Odell Isolation Ale from Odell Brewing Company