Odell Isolation Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Isolation AleOdell Isolation Ale

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell Isolation Ale Alström Bros

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

It's got to be tough for Odell. Living in the shadow of the much bigger and considerably more successful New Belgium Brewing (figuratively and literally, they're less than a mile from each other). Odell consistently turns out good to great beers yet they haven't had the same financial success as their larger compatriot. When I was living in Colorado, I favored Odell. They were the underdog. I believed they had a better variety. The quality of what they made was as good, if not slightly better than, New Belgium. I moved from Colorado four years ago, but I'm still pulling for the little guys.

I am fortunate to go back to Colorado on a regular basis. Whenever I get the chance, I haul back as much local and regional beer as I can fit in my suitcase or in the car. On one of my more recent trips, I brought back a six of Isolation. Maybe it's me, maybe coincidence, but I'm finding it surprisingly like Fat Tire circa 2005. Amber, slight cloudiness ( a bit of a departure here), filmy head, it has a strong earthy aroma. Lots of malt and a nice medium body. I can certainly see where this would appeal to a budding beer enthusiast. Rich mouthfeel, medium to low hopping, and neither over or under carbonated.

I have since gone to the Odell website and found that Isolation is a seasonal. Any resemblance to beers mentioned previously are heretofore coincidence. That said, good beer is good beer, and Isolation, independent of the similarities I have discussed above, is a very decent drink. I wish the folks at Odell much success and hope to see them in my market soon.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Odell is a great brewery, and I keep trying the Isolation Ale thinking I should like it and never warm up to it completely.

Thin white head with a lace over a copper colored ale that changes from gold to amber in the bar light. Strong malt, caramel and toffee in the nose--subtle spice from the hop and a hotness from the alcohol. Newcastle like malt taste, but much hoppier and it has a mineral twang over sweet caramel and toffee. Fruity and floral hop punches through the apparent alcohol (6% accroding to BA). Good beer, well brewed--I'm just not a fan of it.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks go out to Lunch for providing this as an extra in our trade.

A: Pours a slightly hazy caramel color with hints of ruby. An inch of off-white head lasts for a while before settling. Thin, finely constructed lacing coats the glass.

S: Bread pudding with a fruit juice scent. Cherry and raspberry to be specific. Caramel, brown sugar. Good.

T: Caramel and toffee blend with cake and cookie-like malt tastes. A touch woody. Some rum-raisin and molasses. Distinct raspberry in the background. Fruitcake. Green, oily hop tastes start to go herbal and spicy after a while. Long, lingering finish of caramel, cake, and rum raisin.

M: Medium bodied. Full, creamy, and slightly silky. Light carbonation. Very slightly warming.

O: This is a great beer, plain and simple. The English malts really shine, and create a nice dessert-like impression. Proof that you don't need to dump a ton of spices into a beer to make a solid winter seasonal. Very drinkable to boot. Brewers take note, this is how you do a winter seasonal.

Notes: I'm probably the most critical person on the planet when it comes to Winter Warmers. This is one of the few that I can fully endorse. If only it were distributed here . . .

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look – amber color, somewhat murky, with about half a finger’s worth of khaki-colored foam that dissipates slowly.

Smell – definitely a more malty or syrupy type of smell. I don’t notice a whole lot of hop in the aroma itself.

Taste – quite strong on the bitter side straight from the off. However, it’s more of a presence than a strength. The hops/bitterness don’t overwhelm. There is a slight calm that comes in the middle, probably due to the malts.

Mouthfeel – very well balanced, not leaning to heavily on the watery or creamier sides.

Overall – not terribly intriguing to think about, but very good-tasting.

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for opening this with me, NoSignsOfPain!

A slightly hazed amber and copper with a relatively large light khaki colored foam. The beer left the glass mess with sheets and spots of lace. Pretty, though a bit thin.

An above average aroma which includes caramel and toffee, biscuit, a touch of chocolate, and some mild spice components. Though I'm not usually a big fan of spiced beers, I thought this one could use even a bit more.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, with the sweet malt and bready backbone dominating much of the flavor with a hint of fruit cake spiciness as well. Above average.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

An above average winter warmer, but I was hoping for more spice character.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a SA pint glass. Best by date is 2/24/12.

A - Pours a translucent coppery with a finger width light tan head. Appears to be well carbonated.

S - I detect caramel malt and some biscuity bread aromas. Some hops, but nothing too strong.

T - Bready malt up front, transitioning to more caramel notes and a bit of crisp, earthy hops on the back end.

M - Definitely medium body bodied with kind of a creamy feel. Moderately carbonation.

O - Very nice beer. A perfect fit for a cold January weekend afternoon.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to Isolation Ale glass. Date stamped on bottle: 3/29/11

A - Mildly hazy with a burgundy color. Solid 2 finger head which seemed to linger for a long while and thick bubbly lacing.

S - A blend of toasty chocolate biscuity malts. A hint of earthy tone hops.

T/M - It is a crisp yet smooth mouthfeel with medium body. It's clean yet the hops leave a noticeable bitterness from start to finish. The aroma transitions to the flavor in the middle when the toasted biscuit and chocolate malts enter the palette. Slight sweetness on the tail end with a hint of the earthy hops.

D - You can't have just one.

Overall this is a well balanced brew that doesn't annihilate your senses with too much alcohol or hops or malts. I look forward to this release every year and 2010's offering was very good. A great offering and represents the Winter Warmer style well. I would easily recommend this beer.

Reviewed on: 01-19-2011 04:23:45