Footprint RegionAle - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 02-18-2012

40% Ale aged in oak barrels, 40% Ale with natural flavors added, 10% Ale aged in wine barrels, 5% Ale brewed with honey, 5% Ale brewed with wild rice.

There are ten states that make up what we call our 'distribution footprint'. Each state made a unique contribution to FOOTPRINT. This artful ale is our tribute to these states in which our beer is available. The result is a crafty collective of regional flavors:

Colorado - Hops and Barley
New Mexico - Green Chilies
South Dakota - Barley and Honey
Wyoming - Wheat
3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured in to a tulip with a hazy, golden colored body. 1 finger white head.

Aroma slight oakiness with some fruity sweetness. Caramel, malty and almost light in the aroma. Light honey aroma. Slight earthy and citrusy aroma hops.

Flavor was very unique. Strong notes of honey and pear. Slight wine, oakiness. Some floral hop flavor with a mild bitterness that is floral and citrusy. Some mild caramel notes with a malty sweetnes. Very light signs of ABV. Doesn't really come off as a "strong ale" in the flavors in my opinion, although it was still good.

Mouthfeel was medium body, medium carb and a dry finish.

Overall the uniqueness and drinkability was good. Quite the combination of flavors that came together nicely, although it seemed to lack the true "strong ale" characteristics.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a 3 finger foamy white head with very good retention and lacing. The aroma has citrus, peaches, oak, and some spices. Smells nice.

The taste is mostly sweet. Citrus, peaches, oak, chilies, and the rest is too difficult to pick out. This is a nicely flavored beer, but clearly not everything should have been included. Especially the chilies. They don't work well with the other ingredients.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Smooth and easy to drink. There is a bit of an aftertaste from the chilies which is a negative for me. Too bad there couldn't have been a different contribution from New Mexico. Overall a pretty good effort.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

8693-2011 on the label and holy hell, when I popped the cork, Shecky, my cat, jumped a couple of feet in the air.

It pours a hazy light gold with and growing, actually overflowing, head of foam. I see some bits of yeast floating around, not necessarily a bad thing.

I had to gulp the head of foam sticking above my glass so I could give it a whiff or 2. Wheat, honey, barley, some IPA bitterness is what I can smell. Nice.

Taste wise, it is better than what I thought it would be considering all of the ingredients from the various states it listed. I get some chiles for sure in the finish/after the swallow. The hops are nicely done as is the wheat and honey. Prickly pear is a bit hard to track down as I have NO idea of what it's supposed to taste like in a beer. Must be the slight fruitiness I sense in the taste? I'm 100% guessing.

The mouthfeel and carbonation are not an issue at all. No complaints.

This is quite the adventurous endeavour and all in all, it worked for me by the seat of its pants. A great tribute to Odell's distribution area and, speaking for WY, I thank you but the end result is what I guessed it would be; too much going on to the point that it lacked direction. Keep on experimenting though, Odell.

3.71/5  rDev -3.4%

No known freshness dating... Maybe the 7476-2011 is some type of freshness dating.

A= Pours a bright orange color with a nice thick off white head on it that holds great retention and lacing on the side of the glass. I really like the color on this one.

S= Smells unlike any beers I've ever had. Really a unique mix. I was expecting a lot going on with the ingredient listings and it doesn't let down. I can pick up a little wood character and I would even venture to say there is a little wine character to it. The hops come through in a definitive way for sure and there's a slight alcohol character to it.

T= The flavor is really different. I almost wanna say it tastes like a kitchen sink beer but it's not bad. There is a nice oak wood character that I notice first. The wine character is there for sure as well. The hops are there overlying the entire beer until the finish with a nice biscuit note. Wheaty is a good way describe the finish. After I take another sip I get more of the wine barrel notes and a little malty sweetness to back it all up. Really unique. The finish is suprisingly dry and long.

M= Nice bit of fuzz.

O= A really solid beer for being a "kitchen sink" as I would describe it. The characters are all there and enjoyable. The idea of this beer is very novel and great. Trying to make it work is no doubt a difficult task but I think they did pretty well in that each ingredient has a position and it works. It's not the most outstanding beer I've ever had but it works. Well thought out and a tasty beer.

3.74/5  rDev -2.6%

This one definitely seems to be an oddball on paper. Ingredients from every state Odell distributes to including green chilis, honey, rice, corn, cactus, and oak barrels.
Pours a honey color with the perfect amount of foam. The foam head never dissipates at all, leaves a trail of lace rings, and generally looks magnificent. Visually, this beer is pretty much perfect. A good start.
The nose is a bit more pedestrian. Smells similar to a hoppy Belgian strong pale ale. Fruity overtones with notes of peaches and stronefruit with a little resinous pine from the hops. No mention of where the yeast comes from, but I'm guessing it might be Belgian or at least a very ester heavy strain. Either that or all of those notes I associate with Belgian beers might just be coming from the adjunct ingredients.
The flavor follows that same path. Sweet pale malts, mild stonefruit, & apples. The oak character creeps in a bit as well. While not, sweet, the honey character is discernible. Plus, as with many Odell beers the hops are intense. The finish definitely has some bitterness, and there's a floral character throughout. Luckily (I don't think they'd really fit) I don't really get anything from those NM green chilis. I still wonder if this is using a Belgian yeast, though.
A slow sipper for sure, there's no doubt this brew is potent. It was slow going, but enjoyable.
Overall I'd say this is pretty good, but not necessarily something I'm lining up to buy again. The sum of the parts is a bit lesser than the crazy ingredient list and story behind it. Still, it's a long way from bad or even disappointing.

Footprint RegionAle from Odell Brewing Company