Woodcut No. 6 - Oak Aged American Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Woodcut No. 6 - Oak Aged American AleWoodcut No. 6 - Oak Aged American Ale

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: denver10 on 10-11-2012)

ygtbsm94, Jan 11, 2013

captainbearcat, Aug 04, 2013

Thorpe429, Jan 18, 2013

nzerbe, Mar 05, 2013
3.04/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a 7 finger fluffy head that slowly (very slowly) cavitates into liquid. Nearly clear rust amber liquid. Streams of bubbles slowly rise upward...looks like this beer must be very viscous. The nose smells vanilla, oak waxy, piney hops, and crystal malts. Baby aspirin, fig, lemon, kiwi, peach/pear reduction, cherry sweet tart, and orange zest-wax. Rich, complex and enticing. If the flavor holds up to the nose, this beer will be stunning.

Taste is similar to the nose, but not the power-packed flavor umph I was expecting. Scratchy oak mixes with alcohol sting and tame malt sweet. This beer is all about the waxy oak character with vanilla and piney American hops. Disjointed. The flavors have not come together (unless they started that way and the time of them cooperating has passed). Alcohol flavor is clean, grains are gently caramel, esters are tropical light fruits of guava and mango-fiber with a berry-flavored drizzle (like you would find on a cheesecake). Herbal lemon...basil?...parsley?...neutral herbal. Hop grassiness is hidden by the oak, or perhaps they work together but come across as mostly oak. Medium in the mouth, but some dextrinous creaminess. Over-carbonated when poured, but not so in the mouth. Dry finish leaves a copper flavor, oak astringency, and an alcohol sting that persists with an oak wax rough. Had this beer just been capped without so much pressure, the beer might have oxidized to add those yummy sherry/caramel notes. Considering how tight the cork was and the strong carbonation, I don't see this one improving that way any time soon - any change that will occur will need to happen with the ingredients inside the bottle. I expect the character of the ingredients to fall apart before they could combine into aged yumminess. Once again, Odell Woodcut is not worth $25/bottle. I know the time and effort they put into it is worth $25/bottle to them, but the experience on our end is more like $7-$9 for a 750 ml bottle.

mentor, Apr 16, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I rarely rate according to price, but what exactly should a 'strong ale' taste like anyway? Since there really isn't a benchmark, I'm going with wallet affects.

Pours a murky off amber/gold will huge head. This thing billowed up to about 3 fingers, off white. Looks ok, but the lacing seemed oily.

Aroma is wood, aspirin, date and unripe apple.

Tastes is wood and unripe apple. But mostly wood. Not a scratchy kind, just like a wet log. Subtle hints of vanilla and caramel on the end. But it's thin. Maybe some cherry?

The feel saves this beer a bit. It's got a bubble whallop to save the thinness of the taste. Really, what is this thing for 21 bucks (on SALE!)? At least the wood isn't too bold or scratchy, that would result in a drain pour.
This is my first, and last, Woodcut I'll pay for. Not a bad beer, but horrible for the price

Mebuzzard, Jun 19, 2013

schimschim, Sep 09, 2014

JellyJacket, Mar 31, 2013

FINLANDski_1619, Aug 20, 2013

Jamison85, Aug 05, 2013

Pacioli1445, Jul 07, 2013
3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Shared by Travlr. Thanks Gene. The beer is orange to light copper colored with a fizzy white head. High carbonation evident. The aroma offers malt, oak, citrus, alcohol. The flavor is malty, earthy. Abundant oak throughout, even tannic. Notes of vanilla, nectarines. Overall, this was ok, but just too woody for my tastes.

Huhzubendah, Jan 08, 2013

GRG1313, Nov 10, 2013

G-Hawk, Mar 10, 2013

Holland, Feb 20, 2013

Axnjxn, Oct 01, 2014
3.56/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer served in an Odell cervoise. Overall this was an OK beer but ultimately too heavy for me, too much oak, too much malt, too much alcohol. It kept getting more powerful the more I drank, took me a long time, I did finish but I won't repeat it.

Beer is dark amber and competely hazy, tight tan head of tiny bubbles, lacing and high retention, looks good.

Aroma is vanilla, oak and malt, smells super sweet.

Beer is super thick, especially for a beer that is basically solvent. It is chewy and rough, lots of tannins on the finish, very malty sweet throughout. Not a repeat for me but worth the look, especially if you like high alcohol malt bombs. This is for you.

drabmuh, Jan 28, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy amber with a quarter finger of off white head. The head sticks around pretty well.

Smell: There is a ton of oak in the nose. The wood is joined by an herbal note. The background is sweet with a slight citrus note as well.

Taste: This is a very herbal beer and it has a huge oaky/wood presence. It's quire sweet which I expected given the abv. The oak dominates the flavor and continues through the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium to syrupy with smooth carbonation and a really dry finish.

Overall: This is an intensely woody beer. I was glad I got to try it, but I don't know that I'd need more in the future.

oline73, Jan 14, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml corked and caged bottle, number 05708, dated August 2012.

After a succession of 100% flat bottles of Woodcut #5, I easily resisted #6 for several months, then bought one on impulse, brought it home, and promptly forgot I had it for a couple more months. Then I remembered, so here goes.

Right off the bat, I had to deal with the cork, which would not budge for anything short of a pliers. As I twisted it outward, I expected to get some help from the pressure, but it resisted all the way to the end. Increasingly certain this would be another flat Odell, I was happily shocked by the resounding POP. Into the glass went a murky, tawny liquid, producing a thin & foamy tan head. I am disheartened by the lack of bubbles coming from the nucleation etchings in the bottom of my glass.

Characteristic of the Woodcut series, this smells like an oak bomb. A bunch of sweet tropical fruit smells swirl through the oak; I presume these are from the Mosaic hops. There's something nutty and toasty and buttery going on in there.

It's a little brighter and sweeter in taste, but with a tannic and tangy finish. Bitterness is moderate. There's no denying the oak, though. And while I wouldn't call this flat, mouthfeel suffers from undercarbonation.

I may give up on the series. I thought #3 was repeatedly delicious, and justified the price, but #4-6 have left me wishing I could go back in time and spend my money more judiciously.

DaveAnderson, Apr 01, 2013