Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: denver10 on 01-03-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout Alström Bros

Thick and dark with a nice amber head, though it doesn't stay around very long. This is the best chocolate stout I have had to date, and my personal favorite beer as of yet. Odell does it right. My only problem with this beer is that it is a 4 pack seasonal :(... (263 characters)

This is the best chocolate milk stout that I have tried. Perfect carbonation and texture. It has a strong chocolate flavor with a nice alcohol finish. I have tried MANY chocolate stouts trying to find better but have not found one yet. (235 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +18.2%

I know there are so many other milk stouts out there that are great but this is the best chocolate milk stout I have tasted so far. If you want the next best thing to chocolate milk with alcohol then this is the beer to give it to you. This is one of my every day beers to drink on. (282 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +17.5%

If you let this beer age in the refrigerator for a year, a miracle will happen! It lost all of its alcohol taste, became a little more sweeter, and the chocolate was much more intense. The consistency seemed to be thicker as well, and so much smoother. Thought I was drinking a "Five Dollar Shake". This was one of the best Stouts I've ever had, only second to Stranahan's aged Yeti. (383 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

This is an excellent stout. Dark as night, packed with milk chocolate flavor, and high enough alcohol to really get your attention. Many stouts are bitter, but this one is not. Available in four-packs and a bit more expensive than most similar beers, but very much worth it. (277 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours thick and dark with a brownish head. Wow-chocolate jumps from the glass. First sip tells you this is something to be savored. Velvety mouthfeel, and full, deep, rich flavor. This beer is decadent. I don't think I could drink more than 1 (okay 3) in a sitting. The vanilla character complements the chocolate and sweet lactose flavor very well. Wish is was a bit drier, rather than sweet, but after all, it is a milk stout. Chocolate Milk for adults is the best way to describe this beer. Find it! (502 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Luuuuuuuugene.

Appearance : This beer pours pretty dark. It's a very dark chocolate brown body; when held up to the light there's no transparency. The head is large, 3 fingers in measurement, and beige-to-almond in color. The head leaves very generous lingerie-like lacing along the side of the glass, a true beauty.

Aroma : Cocoa powder, cacao bean, slight anise, and a light astringency from hops but only underneath. Bouquet is medium strength and oh so yummy.

Flavor : Ummm...This is just out of this world good. Words fail me. I've just laid lips to what could be the best milk stout EVER. Ever. Gathering my thoughts and checking my emotions here...

Creamy, semi-sweet chocolate goodness mixed with a beautiful marriage of milk and oatmeal, ending with melty candy bar wrapper. The hop is subdued, allows a bit of a burn on the palate, just perfect.

Mouthfeel : An EXPLOSION of creamy, hot-cocoa-with-marshamallows-made-with-whole-milk body, a slight burn from alcohol, ending just slightly parched and tingling.

Overall : Just buy it. I'm not kidding. Best. Milk. Stout. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. (1,111 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm drinking this for the second time in a week! 8.5% abv pours black with a medium brown head. Definite chocolate notes in the nose as well as roasted coffee. Tastes of milk chocolate without being sickly sweet and has coffee notes. Mouthfeel is a little thin but feels like you actually had a glass of chocolate milk. Drinks really easy for a nice abv %. This was just tapped at the Ginger Man here locally and can't wait to try it on draught! Cheers! (454 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I poured this from the bottle into a mug.

The only reason I gave it below a 5 for appearance is because it lacked a head....none! But it poured thick and I could tell right away it was gonna be a creamy, thick stout.

Smells like sweet smokey chocolate.

It is massively sweet. It is everything that I expected, and you can taste the stout behind all of the chocolate. The only drawback is, it is a little too sweet. It would be hard for me to drink more than one. That said, I'm glad I got it and I really enjoyed it.

Mouthfeel is great. It's thick and carbonation is just right. (low)

Overall, I really liked it. It is the sweetest beer I have had yet, which is to a degree that is its only downfall. Very good though. (723 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: extremely dark brown- looks black, with a dark brown head.

Smell: roasty and sweet, not much hop profile.

Taste: roasty, sweet and extremely chocolaty. Only a bit of hops for balance.

Mouth Feel: creamy and smooth, leaves the mouth coated.

Overall: Absolutely delicious! This is one of my favorite stouts ever. (326 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Dark brown with minimal light penetrating the edges.

S: Chocolate, milk chocolate, vanilla, sweet malts, hints of maple syrup.

T: Wow! Sweet milk chocolate, coffee, sweet malts, vanilla, slightly bitter chocolate, more bitter in the aftertaste.

M: Creamy, almost syrupy texture. Very smooth, basically no alcohol presence.

O: A great beer! Its definitely a desert beer. Best milk stout I have tried yet. Let it warm up, the chocolate flavors become more defined as is warms. (482 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +14%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a solid chocolate milk stout. It's not as exciting as I thought it would be but it was still extremely satisfying. Odell is a solid brewery and this is a solid brew. It's really smooth and not overly carbonated. Great mouthfeel, and thought its strong for a stout (8.5%) it's not overpowering. In fact, there wasn't a the alcohol bite you normally get from an 8.5% beer. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a stout that won't disappoint you. (452 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my first milk stout and it lived up to its promise. Appearance was chocolatey dark, with very little head. Taste at first favored a roasty nature, but as I drank more the chocolate and sweetness came through. Virtually no hop aroma or flavor, which suited me. I did not match this well with dinner (salmon), but it went perfectly with dessert -- a chocolate, coconut, caramel cupcake. That was an ideal combination. (424 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours pitch black with a small brown head that soon falls back into the glass. The head retention is poor but the brown color gives the first hint at the massive amount of roast and depth that are in this beer. There is also a lot or particulate floating about in the beer.

The aroma is complex, starting off with a hint of roast but finishing with chocolate and coffee. You can also pick out the alcohol but it is not harsh. There are some esters but they are hard to single out and are covered up by the massive amount of roast and toasted bread.

For a beer this high in alcohol the first sip is amazingly smooth. The mouthfeel is full and silky which leads to the impression of milk. You can pick out notes of milk chocolate, toast, a small amount of coffee but not bitter. The beer is sweet without being over the top.

Overall an incredible enjoyable beer. It is smooth for how big it is and it is just so well rounded. I would highly recommend it. (961 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pitch black with a very thin tan head. It looks like a liquid dark chocolate bar.

S: Rich milk chocolate with a hint of smokiness and sweet vanilla. Roasted malts are slightly apparent. So appetizing!

T: Sweet milk chocolate flavor through and through. A little sour milk flavor and booziness at the end. It's like I'm drinking a dessert.

M: Slightly heavy body but still super-smooth and creamy.

This is by far my favorite milk stout. A complete pleasure to drink and I can't taste the ABV at all. All hail Odell! (565 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Mmmm, have now enjoyed 3 bottles of this at various temperatures. Cold, warming, and nearly room temperature and it works at all 3 levels. A nearly silkly smooth stout (about as close to nitro as you can get w/o being nitro), and a perfect level of chocolate flavor. I can't stand chocolate stouts that are too heavy on the chocolate - it's beer not YooHoo. (357 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Hot damn, so happy to get something not normally seen in my parts. My cousin in CO sent this to me.
I poured this into a pint glass.
The color was a pure dark brown color with a one finger off white foamy head that dies within less than a minute. Light lacing graced along the glass.
The smell was pure milk chocolate, like chocolate milkshake....so good. But I did get a decent coffee in and out.
The taste was mainly the chocolate bliss that was going on, and then a light roasty coffee came in.
The mouthfeel was oh so smooth and milky, once again it felt like a milkshake in my mouth.
Overall, wow, this is so good. Definitely would have this again. (653 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Deep, dark brown with a fingers worth of tan colored head. Light amount of lacing.

Smell- Light aroma of roasted malt at the start that turns into a milk chocolate smell.

Taste- Light roasted malt and slightly bitter chocolate flavor that turns into a nice milk chocolate aftertaste. YUM!

Mouthfeel- On the light end of full bodied and very creamy. Light amount of carbonation.

Overall- Delicious. This just became my favorite milk stout. (485 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer at a pub on tap.

The color is expected, very dark black, not alot of a head. If there is a head it subsides.

The smell is instantly chocolate. I did not smell any alcohol on this. Very sweet, malty smell.

The taste is sweet milk chocolate right up front and all the way through. There is a just a bit of alcohol warmth which adds to the taste perfectly in my opinion. otherwise, the alcohol does not come through strongly. There is no noticeable bitterness, but just a tad of hops at the end but it finishes creamy and clean.

The carbonation is slight, and is just right for this style. I don't care for the nitro beers like Young's, but the light carbonation is perfect for my liking.

Overall, this is my favorite chocolate stout. I like the sweetness, I like the bit of alcohol warmth, and its just delicious to sip on. If you like the style, I would say this a must try. (897 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a black color with a two finger brown sugar color head. Aroma is roast, coffee, chocolate, and bittersweet chocolate. Taste is chocolate, light roast, and maybe a hint of coffee at the end. Mouthfeel is medium to medium-thick, a bit thinner than some stouts but that by no means takes away from this beer. Overall one of the better milk stouts I've had, and the chocolate makes it all the more so. (407 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Bottle into quasi-tulip glass

Appearance: Opaque deep brown, almost black. Unimpressive, lacy, fine head. Head improves as it rests, very resilient

Smell: Milk stout! Sweet, sort of syrupy smell

Taste: Wow. Not complex, but a wallop of light chocolate with pleasant milky vanilla backbone. No chocolate bitterness at all. Is this beer hopped at all?

Mouthfeel: Like very decent chocolate, melting in the mouth. Resilient coating.

Aftertaste: Mild but slightly warming and pleasant.

My take: A sweet and excellent beer. Not overpowering enough to make a bad day great, but the perfect compliment to other quiet joys. This beer makes me happy. (648 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dark chocolate colored body with a creamy little head of deep khaki colored foam that leaves plenty of lacing.

Has a nose of dairy cream with chocolate. Whole milk chocolate milk if you will.

Holy hell, this is good. Very milk chocolatey throughout with some cream/milk notes and a bit of alcohol at the end. The flavor never overwhelms the palate though.

This is a great part of this beer. Heavier end of medium bodied, slick and milky smooth. Not heavy or thick despite the abv.

This is wonderful. Like drinking chocolate milk beer. Odell does it again. Dessert in a bottle, much like those chocolate cream liquors (Godiva, etc.) you can buy now. Wow, am I digging this. (677 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Black, good head.

Smell: Moderate chocolate, bit of fruit.

Taste: Yum! Starts with mild chocolate, then big sweet milk chocolate. Very tasty!

Mouthfeel: Slick, insanely drinkable. Goes down extremely fast for 8.5%.

Overall: I'm a big milk stout fan and this one does not disappoint. Sweet, but not too sweet, big flavors while being very drinkable. Glad I picked up a 4 pack and I might have to get another one before it's gone. (444 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

ST: Bottle poured into glass

A: Nice dark color. Finished pour leaves a good head. Lacing all the way down.

S: Light nose on the chocolate; heavy on the roasted malt.

T: Starts with a heavy roast taste, then finishes with a smooth chocolate taste with a little hops to it (not a bunch)

MF: Light on the body and heavy on the flavor.

O: Exceptional beer. I could drink this any time of the year, so I am sad that it is a seasonal. If you see this and haven't had it, you should. (482 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +10%

Appearance - Opaque black, dark tan one finger head

Smell - Chocolate, roasty notes, a hint of coffee

Taste - Sweet, milk chocolate, bittersweet cocoa, some alcohol as it warms up, but not overwhelming

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied, thick, chewy

Overall - A very tasty beer. I would definitely buy it again. (306 characters)

Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout from Odell Brewing Company