Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: denver10 on 01-03-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Hot damn, so happy to get something not normally seen in my parts. My cousin in CO sent this to me.
I poured this into a pint glass.
The color was a pure dark brown color with a one finger off white foamy head that dies within less than a minute. Light lacing graced along the glass.
The smell was pure milk chocolate, like chocolate milkshake....so good. But I did get a decent coffee in and out.
The taste was mainly the chocolate bliss that was going on, and then a light roasty coffee came in.
The mouthfeel was oh so smooth and milky, once again it felt like a milkshake in my mouth.
Overall, wow, this is so good. Definitely would have this again. (653 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle pour at the pre-FWIBF bottle share held at the Adelaide Inn in Paso Robles, CA.

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and lactose aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and lactose flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice balance of cocoa and lactose characteristics. (654 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A - Pours black with 1 finger of creamy brown head.

S - Not a strong aroma, but I mainly get sweet chocolate.

T - A pretty straightforward taste. Sweet chocolate is really the only flavor I'm getting. Very rich.

M - Moderate body with moderate carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel.

O - This is great but a bit one dimensional. The chocolate is prominent but it's just about the only flavor I get. Wish this was more complex. (458 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +18.2%

I know there are so many other milk stouts out there that are great but this is the best chocolate milk stout I have tasted so far. If you want the next best thing to chocolate milk with alcohol then this is the beer to give it to you. This is one of my every day beers to drink on. (282 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Lightproof black colored beer with a small brown colored head.

Smells of chocolate and toasted grain. Little bit of coffee and a faint smoke aroma. Some Kahlua smell.

Starts out sweet with a chocolate and toast flavor. sweet coffee taste almost like a syrup. Tasty but the taste can be summed up as chocolate syrup.

Mouthfeel is thick.

Overall a really tasty beer, but it is one the far side of sweet for the style. (419 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

12 oz. bottle, with best before date 07/24/14 printed on the label. My first encounter with this beer and my first beer from Odell Brewing Co., acquired via my first ever trade with Texan956. Thanks again, dude.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a milky chocolate brown colored body; opaque in the glass with some cola brown showing near the edges. Just over a finger of creamy sudsy mocha head that fizzles it's way out of existence entirely, leaving just a thin ring behind. Some sticky lacing appears on the glass when swirled, but none sticks. Looks very nice.

S - The smell is of lactose, milk chocolate, caramel malt, vanilla, some mild char / roastiness. What's here is pleasant enough, but it could definitely stand to be turned up more.

T - The taste is of smooth milk chocolate, lactose sugars / cream, caramel, vanilla, & cocoa. Mild chocolate bitterness / roast on the finish.

M - Feel is smooth and creamy. Sticky and sugary. Medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Very easy drinking for the high 8.50% abv. Mild roastiness lingering on the palate.

Overall, a wonderful example of a what a chocolate milk stout can be, and I'm happy to have gotten to try it. I would definitely have it again if it was available to me, but I feel that there are better, more chocolate-forward beers that are more readily available to me.

Odell Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout ---4/5. (1,398 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -18%

Pours out a very deep, dark brown with a very thin head the color of chocolate milk. Smells of chocolate, chocolate malt, bready malts, and a bit of Euro hops. Chocolate isn't as strong as the nose as I would have expected. This beer is SWEET. Too sweet for me. Nice chocolate flavor, but it needs some bitterness (either from roasted grain or hops) to balance it out. I get a kind of jelly fruitiness from the yeast, that I'm not fond of. Mouthfeel is moderate-full and sticky. This beer isn't bad, but it isn't my cup of tea. Does an exceptional job of hiding alcohol. Needs more balance with the sweetness. (609 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

A dark beer with some highlights with little amounts of head. It almost has a slight burnt chocolate and a porter smell but it was a bit sickeningly sweet. Oh my the taste really pops here, you can taste the chocolate and the milk chocolate richness that it was brewed with. The milk gives more of the richness and a nice creamy mouthfeel and gives it a thinness but not too thin and makes it easily drinkable like a smooth cream.

This is a unique beer and I really enjoyed it, I wish the nose was a little more inductive of the nice taste but that's my only real criticism. (575 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -3.7%

A tan head floats away quickly. Color is pure black.

Has a dark chocolate, grain, slight vinegar, and cream aroma.

Tastes of over-ripened cherries, milk chocolate, plum, taffy and pine. Bolder (but thinner) than expected with a warming alcohol heat and complexity that create distinction.

Smooth and dreamy like a sickeningly sweet pop song that ends with an unexpected kick. (380 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I have had this on tap a few places around Houston. D&T and Hay Merchant most recently.

A: Pours a nearly opaque black color. A bit of brown/ruby red around the edges. A two finger khaki head forms with good retention. Plenty of lace is left behind.
S: Roasted malt, light cereal grains. Then the milk chocolate takes over. Silky, lightly lactic chocolate is the show as this warms.
T: Like the nose, roasted malt and cereal grains up front. Baked bread, and that wonderful silky milk chocolate takes over and is a real treat. Near perfect for the style.
M/D: A full body that is not overly viscous. Moderate carbonation, and I can't describe how silky smooth this is. While the alcohol is a bit strong for the style, it is still incredibly easy to drink. I will need to get bottles asap.

Love it. I can forgive the higher ABV (for my liking) cause this is so flavorful and enjoyable to drink. A really good imperial sweet stout. Highly recommended. (951 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Black, slightly brown at the edges. quite a bit of lacing left behind

S- Roast malt and roasted chocolate with some alcohol sweetness.

T- Lactose sweetness, roasted chocolate and roasted malt. Different and very good.

M- Syrupy, heavy bodied with slight roasted malt astringency.Mild alcohol bite there as well.

O- Excellent beer, not much out there like it. Very good, I wouldn't call it easy to drink as it's a sipping beer. (433 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Tasted On: 04-13-2014
Freshness: Best by 06-04-14
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Nonic pint
Purchased: Received from a friend

Black beer, opaque, with a couple of fingers of tan head. A good amount of lacing in the glass with decent head retention.

Aromas are very nice; sweet malts and caramels, with milk chocolate and dark brown sugar.

Taste is rich and sweet and has flavor notes of chocolate, molasses and dark ripened fruits such as figs and raisins.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel is coupled with an average to high amount of carbonation. The beer finishes sweet and with flavors of dark chocolate.

A superb example of a milk stout with chocolate! One of the best I've tasted.

Thanks go to Craig for the beer! (743 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Initial pour is dark brown with minimal head. First sniff I can't detect anything then it hits you in the backend of creamy chocolate. A nice fairly sweet beer. Really tastes like milk has been used in the brewing process. Not a strong chocolate taste at all but the milk is highly detectable. Fairly strong alcohol finish. I really liked this beer. (349 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Finally getting around to reviewing this tasty sounding treat from my what is probably the best brewery in my home state. Reviewed as a milk stout given the name of the beer, though the label does call it a "Stout brewed with milk chocolate," which isn't sounding like a milk stout per se - but the description on the back clarifies that it's indeed brewed with milk sugar. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local Texas bottle shop and served into Stella Artois stemware in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery and style. 8.5% ABV confirmed per the label.

Best before: 07/02/14. Served cold - at fridge temp - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of khaki colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. I was expecting a bit more. Head retention is average - about 2 minutes. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a predictable opaque solid dark black - not quite a jet black. No floating yeast particles or hop sediment is visible. Appears decently carbonated.

Overall, this is looking pretty standard for a milk stout. There's nothing unique or special about it.

Sm: Lactose sugar, dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, milk chocolate, caramel and cocoa. No note really dominates per se, but I suppose lactose sugar is the most prominent.

No hop character, yeast character, or alcohol is detectable.

Overall, it's a pleasant aroma of average strength. Admittedly pretty standard for a milk stout, but I'm craving the first sip. Very conventional and very good at the same time.

Mf/T/Dr: Has medium body and ample heft, with a good thick presence on the palate. Unrefreshing, but then a milk stout isn't meant to be. The ABV is nowhere to be found; this drinks like it's about 6%. Smooth and wet. Slides down easy enough. It's very drinkable for its high ABV. I really dig the softness as well. It just glides along the palate.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, or biting. Lightly sticky.

The taste fulfills the promises of the aroma: milk chocolate, lactose sugar, faint cream. Dark malts and chocolate malts provide the strong yet understated foundation. There's no real overt hop profile; sweetness is the star here, but the beer is never cloying. No yeast character comes through.

As it comes to temperature, I pick up on faint wisps of vanilla, caramel, and even - cherry? Hm.

Above average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour. This beer has good amplitude and balance, and feels very cohesive - but not quite gestalt. The flavour profile features some interesting complexity and subtlety, but I can't say it's a particularly intricate or nuanced beer in the style; it's brewed pretty strictly to conventions, and the milk chocolate isn't quite as prominent as would be ideal. Still, the chocolate is nice and never tastes artificial or "natural flavour"-esque, if you will.

Quite drinkable for the high ABV; I could (and would) easily down 3-4 of these in one sitting. It's a good milk stout, and I'd even go so far as to say Left Hand had better watch out. Could Colorado be the best state for milk stouts?

I'd definitely recommend friends pick this up (most of them live in Colorado anyway). It's a damn fine brew in its style. Odell has once again delivered. I'm very happy this is on shelves; I could see this shooting to the top of the ratings lists if Odell offered it in bomber form as a limited release for some obnoxious price.

That said, I'd argue this isn't the dessert beer or "chocolate shake in a bottle" other reviewers might claim it is. It's actually less sweet than most milk stouts I've had, and it's anything but a sipper.

Low B+

Might be interesting with age, but I can't see it developing.

Would pair well with chocolate. Obviously. And hazelnuts. (4,048 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +8.7%

A - Amazing looking beer on nitro! Dark brown / black beer with a cascading bubbling 4 finger head.

S - Chocolate, cocoa, hazelnut, milk, vanilla. Some booze as it warms.

T - Extends right from the smell. Milk chocolate, slight booze, vanilla. Delicious.

M - The best part of the beer. So velvety, creamy and smooth. This might be one of the best mouthfeels on any beer. Mindblowing.

O - I never bothered to get a 4 pack of this beer, but I'm very glad to have tried it on tap. I think the nitro tap helped this beers mouthfeel and appearance. I bet the bottled version wouldn't drink nearly as well. Great stuff, one of my new favorite milk stouts. Up there with Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate! (701 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Odell Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout. Stout brewed with milk chocolate. Odell Brewing Company, Fort Collins, Colorada. 8.5% alc by vol.

Solid darkness, below a slim ring of cocoa-tinted head.

Aroma: malty, somewhat sweet, light chocolate notes. Nice.

Taste: Sweet cocoa and cream hit first, mighty dark malt floods the mouth. Medium bitterness, creamy mouthfeel. Oh, here come's the flavor. Tasty mix, real nice on the tongue.

Hey, let's read the label and find out why it's called Lugene: "If you've ever been to our brewery, you've likely seen the old, beat-up truck that hauls away our spent grain. That truck belongs to Lugene, who's been feeding his air cows the hearty malt for over a decade. Named in his honor, Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout is brewed with milk sugar and milk chocolate. The rich and creamy brew reminds us of a cold glass of chocolate milk and our hometown "Aggie" roots."

Flavor gets bigger and develops more while in the mouth. Very nice chocolate taste, smooth and delicious. Yum, actually.

One flaw, though, is the high alcohol. For me, if I want to strong stout, I want an imperial stout. If I'm drinking a chocolate stout, I don't necessarily want to be beaten with booze.

Aside from that, I do like this. (1,238 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- dark roasty brown, non transparent. Medium lacing coffee in color with legs.

S- Upfront- roasty malts, oats, barley. In back- milk chocolate

T- Pretty delicious brew here. It does bridge the gap between stout and chocolate milk. Some may be turned away from this idea, but I like it.

M- Creamy, medium carb. Pretty thick for non ba stout.

O- A great session stout (373 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Black color with a flat appearance.

Robust aromas of chocolate and coffee. Raisins, roasted malt, cola.

Coffee and sweet chocolate dominate the flavors. Lightly hopped with a mild bitterness.

Super smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

A very good milk stout, true to form for the style. (286 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Mmmm, have now enjoyed 3 bottles of this at various temperatures. Cold, warming, and nearly room temperature and it works at all 3 levels. A nearly silkly smooth stout (about as close to nitro as you can get w/o being nitro), and a perfect level of chocolate flavor. I can't stand chocolate stouts that are too heavy on the chocolate - it's beer not YooHoo. (357 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is exactly what I love beer to look like. Satiny black, that winks back at you when you look at it. Just a touch of espresso foam brown that dances away as soon as you look at it, but leaves its marks on the wall. I've been excited to try this beer for some time, and I can already tell I'm going to like it. A lot.

Kind of a let down, though putting my nose to it. Not unappealing, just not really... anything. Smells kind of roasty-ish, hints of chocolate, and I swear something kind of rubbery. Huh.

OK, well that's more like it. The first thing I notice is just how incredibly creamy and smoothe it is. It's decently carbonated, too, so to have the effervescence playing off your tongue and still have an overwhelmingly creamy experience... it's a good 'un. The flavours are as you would expect: sweet creamy chocolate dominates everything else, with the sweet being bolstered by a definite lactose... sweetness. I figured this would be dessert, and it fits that bill quite well. There's some general roastiness and a hint of the thought of considerations of coffee perhaps, though that could just be a Pavlovian response to expecting to find it in dark beers. milky, syrupy goodness through and through. (1,216 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Glossy sable black, decent head of mocha that dissipates quickly. Great looking beer. Smell is an initial flash of piney, crisp-fruit hops, like grapes. No real chocolate, but some coffee, lightly. Taste is an odd thing- initial taste is of vinous fruitiness, like grapes. Not what I'm expecting from a self-declared chocolate milk stout. Throws off the whole beer. There is some light pseudo cocoa tates, but the overall impression is of apple sweetness, herbaly hops and an odd finish. Taste is poor, i do not care for this beer. (531 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

2013 Vintage
Poured into a Duvel Tulip

Appearance: (4)
Pours a deep black with a 2 and half fingers tall dark khaki head that gradually reduces down a 1/4 finger, leaving some lacing behind.

Aroma:(4)
A nice, grassy hoppiness greets your nostrils immediately, quickly followed by rich, sweet tones of chocolate and dark roasted grains. The nose is strikes up a nice balance of sweet milk chocolate, floral hoppiness and some roasted coffee notes.

Taste: (3.75)
Like the nose, you're struck by quick a kiss of floral hops, followed up by some notes of sweet milk chocolate and a distinctive roasted coffee bean bite. The beer finishes off dry with a staying sorta of wetness on your palate. Lingering notes of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee and an herbal bitterness. For 8.5%, the alcohol is very well masked.

Mouthfeel: (3)
Medium bodied, only slightly creamy with moderate carbonation. Pretty flabby on the back end.

Overall: (3.5)
This is Odell's winter Milk Stout made with chocolate. Overall, the beer smells good and taste decent, but it's the flabby, wet finish that really leaves a lot to be desired. Not a bad beer by any means, I just prefer my stouts to finish a tad more dry. For being 8.5%, the beer is very easy drinking, but at the end of the day, it's just not really my style. (1,310 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours a deep brown in color with a small, chocolatey tan head. Head is only about one finger thick, if that, but sticks around a little bit. The lacing is ok, but there is not very much of it. A little bit of red color comes through the body of the beer at the edges.

S- Big, sweet, chocolate is the dominant scent here. Sweetness is enough for me to think I detect a little bit of vanilla in the scent. Just a touch of traditional dry stout malts, mostly burnt in nature, are detectable through the sweet chocolate.

T- Pretty much the same as the scent. Starts with big, fairly sweet chocolate flavors then moves toward some dark, burnt malt flavors. Underneath the malts the milk sugar sweetness is evident with a second wave of sweet flavor. At the end, the chocolate and dark malts combine to form a sweet then bitter flavor profile with a lingering touch of alcohol flavor at the end.

M- Thick and smooth, but with a slight bit of alcohol heat at the end. The sweet flavors, heavy malt bill, and just the slightest taste and warming sensation of alcohol make this one a slightly slower drink.

Overall, this is a pretty good, and strongly sweet beer. Not quite a creamy and sweet as other chocolate stouts, but still very chocolatey in a darker way. Malt flavors and higher alcohol combine to make this the adult version of lighter and sweeter chocolate stouts. (1,372 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%

A - 3.5 - Not so good, looks highly carbonated, with a big head at first that quickly dissipates to nothing. No lacing.
S - 4.0 - Chocolate, coffee, dark malts, roasted malts. Little bit boozy.
T - 4.25 - Chocolate, coffee, dark malts, some boozy/bourbon type flavors, but the ABV is 8.5%.
M - 4.0 - Too thin bodied and dry for a chocolate milk stout at 8.5% ! Where's the thick, chocolate shake feel that you normally get out of a good double stout? Alcohol is present. Aftertaste is actually almost like chocolate milk, it's wierd but good.
O - 4.0 - It's good, but not amazing. (584 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours very dark red-brown color with a small, instantly disappearing beige head, seems quite fizzy too leaving a nice sugary layer on the glass. Aroma has milky chocolate, some fruity dark malts and caramel. Flavor is quite chocolaty too, faint vanilla, caramel malts and lingering fruitiness on the finish. Strong carbonation, creamy, roasty, sugary and chocolaty palate. Could have been a bit heavier on the body and a bit less carbonated, still quite nice though. (466 characters)

Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout from Odell Brewing Company