Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout - Odell Brewing Company

Lugene Chocolate Milk StoutLugene Chocolate Milk Stout

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: denver10 on 01-03-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout Alström Bros
4.07/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Fairly light milk stout, very drinkable—even, I'd think, on a warm evening—but, best of all, the layers of chocolate shine through much clearer and cleaner than many other chocolate-premised stouts I've had. Nice sweetness, toeing the line nicely between clean and cloying—and aided in this by the very detectable presence of the chocolate notes and their attendant bitterness. Not much nose, outside of dry malty sugars and the faintest hint of lactose carried though out of the tulip's curve. Very dark, and slightly mahogany-brown when held to light, this somewhat still, light mouth-feel stout seems to fairly well achieve its ends—though I think, given the sweetness, it'd pair much better with a hunk of meat than a dessert.

Thick and dark with a nice amber head, though it doesn't stay around very long. This is the best chocolate stout I have had to date, and my personal favorite beer as of yet. Odell does it right. My only problem with this beer is that it is a 4 pack seasonal :(...

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a porter, smells like a porter (anyone who can school me in how to better rate porters based on appearance, feel free to BM me). Extra points on appearance because I love the label - makes me hungry for chocolate and milk, which made the beer irresistible.
The taste is great, it's an awesome porter, but I'm suspicious that the brewers were able to hide behind the milk/chocolate notes, the way a guitarist might hide behind his effects pedals... I think it's awesome, but I also think I expected more... and based upon the kick-ass label, I don't think that's unreasonable! I'm just an ignorant consumer, after all...
As far as mouthfeel is concerned, I feel like it's got the mouthfeel of a typical porter - I'm usually not a fan, but it works with this beers sweetness, so I'm happy with it.

Overall, it's a good beer, but if it were available in my market I don't think I would buy it very often. Very happy to have gotten to try it, and hopefully we get it here soon (because I DO like it, and I WOULD buy it, just not all the time).

Thanks again to CreepinJeeper for this awesome extra!

BIG TIME EDIT: I just realized this beer is classified as a stout... I know that porters are stouts, and stouts are porters, but this changes things. This is a little weak for a stout. Too carbonated, too light. Still Good. Carry on.

A: poured into a tulip glass to a black beer with a thick one finger light tan head that fades slowly to a small mat with some lacing
S: smells of milk chocolate and roasted malt
T: taste is sweet milk chocolate, roasted malt, and a slight licorice note. swallow brings more chocolate, roasted malt and a little coffee flavor
M: this beer is pretty smooth but on the heavy side with soft and slightly prickly carbonation with a clean and refreshing finish
O: It's a pretty good beer with some nice flavors and solid execution. It's pretty smooth and easy drinking as well.

4.27/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On draft at the Odell Brewery, June 2013

A - : Pitch black, lots of tan lace, and alot of sticky lace on the glass
A - : Lactose, milky, chocolate of course.
T - : Huge milk chocolate flavor! Extreme on the taste buds. Smooth, sweet, perfect
M - Medium carbonation, crisp
O - If you like chocolate, and you like stouts, it doesn't get any better than this. Tasty as hell!

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Hot damn, so happy to get something not normally seen in my parts. My cousin in CO sent this to me.
I poured this into a pint glass.
The color was a pure dark brown color with a one finger off white foamy head that dies within less than a minute. Light lacing graced along the glass.
The smell was pure milk chocolate, like chocolate milkshake....so good. But I did get a decent coffee in and out.
The taste was mainly the chocolate bliss that was going on, and then a light roasty coffee came in.
The mouthfeel was oh so smooth and milky, once again it felt like a milkshake in my mouth.
Overall, wow, this is so good. Definitely would have this again.

3.76/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle pour at the pre-FWIBF bottle share held at the Adelaide Inn in Paso Robles, CA.

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and lactose aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and lactose flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice balance of cocoa and lactose characteristics.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A - Pours black with 1 finger of creamy brown head.

S - Not a strong aroma, but I mainly get sweet chocolate.

T - A pretty straightforward taste. Sweet chocolate is really the only flavor I'm getting. Very rich.

M - Moderate body with moderate carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel.

O - This is great but a bit one dimensional. The chocolate is prominent but it's just about the only flavor I get. Wish this was more complex.

4.74/5  rDev +18.8%

I know there are so many other milk stouts out there that are great but this is the best chocolate milk stout I have tasted so far. If you want the next best thing to chocolate milk with alcohol then this is the beer to give it to you. This is one of my every day beers to drink on.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Lightproof black colored beer with a small brown colored head.

Smells of chocolate and toasted grain. Little bit of coffee and a faint smoke aroma. Some Kahlua smell.

Starts out sweet with a chocolate and toast flavor. sweet coffee taste almost like a syrup. Tasty but the taste can be summed up as chocolate syrup.

Mouthfeel is thick.

Overall a really tasty beer, but it is one the far side of sweet for the style.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz. bottle, with best before date 07/24/14 printed on the label. My first encounter with this beer and my first beer from Odell Brewing Co., acquired via my first ever trade with Texan956. Thanks again, dude.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a milky chocolate brown colored body; opaque in the glass with some cola brown showing near the edges. Just over a finger of creamy sudsy mocha head that fizzles it's way out of existence entirely, leaving just a thin ring behind. Some sticky lacing appears on the glass when swirled, but none sticks. Looks very nice.

S - The smell is of lactose, milk chocolate, caramel malt, vanilla, some mild char / roastiness. What's here is pleasant enough, but it could definitely stand to be turned up more.

T - The taste is of smooth milk chocolate, lactose sugars / cream, caramel, vanilla, & cocoa. Mild chocolate bitterness / roast on the finish.

M - Feel is smooth and creamy. Sticky and sugary. Medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Very easy drinking for the high 8.50% abv. Mild roastiness lingering on the palate.

Overall, a wonderful example of a what a chocolate milk stout can be, and I'm happy to have gotten to try it. I would definitely have it again if it was available to me, but I feel that there are better, more chocolate-forward beers that are more readily available to me.

Odell Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout ---4/5.

3.29/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours out a very deep, dark brown with a very thin head the color of chocolate milk. Smells of chocolate, chocolate malt, bready malts, and a bit of Euro hops. Chocolate isn't as strong as the nose as I would have expected. This beer is SWEET. Too sweet for me. Nice chocolate flavor, but it needs some bitterness (either from roasted grain or hops) to balance it out. I get a kind of jelly fruitiness from the yeast, that I'm not fond of. Mouthfeel is moderate-full and sticky. This beer isn't bad, but it isn't my cup of tea. Does an exceptional job of hiding alcohol. Needs more balance with the sweetness.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

A dark beer with some highlights with little amounts of head. It almost has a slight burnt chocolate and a porter smell but it was a bit sickeningly sweet. Oh my the taste really pops here, you can taste the chocolate and the milk chocolate richness that it was brewed with. The milk gives more of the richness and a nice creamy mouthfeel and gives it a thinness but not too thin and makes it easily drinkable like a smooth cream.

This is a unique beer and I really enjoyed it, I wish the nose was a little more inductive of the nice taste but that's my only real criticism.

3.86/5  rDev -3.3%

A tan head floats away quickly. Color is pure black.

Has a dark chocolate, grain, slight vinegar, and cream aroma.

Tastes of over-ripened cherries, milk chocolate, plum, taffy and pine. Bolder (but thinner) than expected with a warming alcohol heat and complexity that create distinction.

Smooth and dreamy like a sickeningly sweet pop song that ends with an unexpected kick.

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I have had this on tap a few places around Houston. D&T and Hay Merchant most recently.

A: Pours a nearly opaque black color. A bit of brown/ruby red around the edges. A two finger khaki head forms with good retention. Plenty of lace is left behind.
S: Roasted malt, light cereal grains. Then the milk chocolate takes over. Silky, lightly lactic chocolate is the show as this warms.
T: Like the nose, roasted malt and cereal grains up front. Baked bread, and that wonderful silky milk chocolate takes over and is a real treat. Near perfect for the style.
M/D: A full body that is not overly viscous. Moderate carbonation, and I can't describe how silky smooth this is. While the alcohol is a bit strong for the style, it is still incredibly easy to drink. I will need to get bottles asap.

Love it. I can forgive the higher ABV (for my liking) cause this is so flavorful and enjoyable to drink. A really good imperial sweet stout. Highly recommended.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Black, slightly brown at the edges. quite a bit of lacing left behind

S- Roast malt and roasted chocolate with some alcohol sweetness.

T- Lactose sweetness, roasted chocolate and roasted malt. Different and very good.

M- Syrupy, heavy bodied with slight roasted malt astringency.Mild alcohol bite there as well.

O- Excellent beer, not much out there like it. Very good, I wouldn't call it easy to drink as it's a sipping beer.

4.36/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Tasted On: 04-13-2014
Freshness: Best by 06-04-14
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Nonic pint
Purchased: Received from a friend

Black beer, opaque, with a couple of fingers of tan head. A good amount of lacing in the glass with decent head retention.

Aromas are very nice; sweet malts and caramels, with milk chocolate and dark brown sugar.

Taste is rich and sweet and has flavor notes of chocolate, molasses and dark ripened fruits such as figs and raisins.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel is coupled with an average to high amount of carbonation. The beer finishes sweet and with flavors of dark chocolate.

A superb example of a milk stout with chocolate! One of the best I've tasted.

Thanks go to Craig for the beer!

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Initial pour is dark brown with minimal head. First sniff I can't detect anything then it hits you in the backend of creamy chocolate. A nice fairly sweet beer. Really tastes like milk has been used in the brewing process. Not a strong chocolate taste at all but the milk is highly detectable. Fairly strong alcohol finish. I really liked this beer.

3.77/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Finally getting around to reviewing this tasty sounding treat from my what is probably the best brewery in my home state. Reviewed as a milk stout given the name of the beer, though the label does call it a "Stout brewed with milk chocolate," which isn't sounding like a milk stout per se - but the description on the back clarifies that it's indeed brewed with milk sugar. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local Texas bottle shop and served into Stella Artois stemware in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery and style. 8.5% ABV confirmed per the label.

Best before: 07/02/14. Served cold - at fridge temp - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of khaki colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. I was expecting a bit more. Head retention is average - about 2 minutes. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a predictable opaque solid dark black - not quite a jet black. No floating yeast particles or hop sediment is visible. Appears decently carbonated.

Overall, this is looking pretty standard for a milk stout. There's nothing unique or special about it.

Sm: Lactose sugar, dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, milk chocolate, caramel and cocoa. No note really dominates per se, but I suppose lactose sugar is the most prominent.

No hop character, yeast character, or alcohol is detectable.

Overall, it's a pleasant aroma of average strength. Admittedly pretty standard for a milk stout, but I'm craving the first sip. Very conventional and very good at the same time.

Mf/T/Dr: Has medium body and ample heft, with a good thick presence on the palate. Unrefreshing, but then a milk stout isn't meant to be. The ABV is nowhere to be found; this drinks like it's about 6%. Smooth and wet. Slides down easy enough. It's very drinkable for its high ABV. I really dig the softness as well. It just glides along the palate.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, or biting. Lightly sticky.

The taste fulfills the promises of the aroma: milk chocolate, lactose sugar, faint cream. Dark malts and chocolate malts provide the strong yet understated foundation. There's no real overt hop profile; sweetness is the star here, but the beer is never cloying. No yeast character comes through.

As it comes to temperature, I pick up on faint wisps of vanilla, caramel, and even - cherry? Hm.

Above average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour. This beer has good amplitude and balance, and feels very cohesive - but not quite gestalt. The flavour profile features some interesting complexity and subtlety, but I can't say it's a particularly intricate or nuanced beer in the style; it's brewed pretty strictly to conventions, and the milk chocolate isn't quite as prominent as would be ideal. Still, the chocolate is nice and never tastes artificial or "natural flavour"-esque, if you will.

Quite drinkable for the high ABV; I could (and would) easily down 3-4 of these in one sitting. It's a good milk stout, and I'd even go so far as to say Left Hand had better watch out. Could Colorado be the best state for milk stouts?

I'd definitely recommend friends pick this up (most of them live in Colorado anyway). It's a damn fine brew in its style. Odell has once again delivered. I'm very happy this is on shelves; I could see this shooting to the top of the ratings lists if Odell offered it in bomber form as a limited release for some obnoxious price.

That said, I'd argue this isn't the dessert beer or "chocolate shake in a bottle" other reviewers might claim it is. It's actually less sweet than most milk stouts I've had, and it's anything but a sipper.

Low B+

Might be interesting with age, but I can't see it developing.

Would pair well with chocolate. Obviously. And hazelnuts.

4.36/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Amazing looking beer on nitro! Dark brown / black beer with a cascading bubbling 4 finger head.

S - Chocolate, cocoa, hazelnut, milk, vanilla. Some booze as it warms.

T - Extends right from the smell. Milk chocolate, slight booze, vanilla. Delicious.

M - The best part of the beer. So velvety, creamy and smooth. This might be one of the best mouthfeels on any beer. Mindblowing.

O - I never bothered to get a 4 pack of this beer, but I'm very glad to have tried it on tap. I think the nitro tap helped this beers mouthfeel and appearance. I bet the bottled version wouldn't drink nearly as well. Great stuff, one of my new favorite milk stouts. Up there with Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate!

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Odell Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout. Stout brewed with milk chocolate. Odell Brewing Company, Fort Collins, Colorada. 8.5% alc by vol.

Solid darkness, below a slim ring of cocoa-tinted head.

Aroma: malty, somewhat sweet, light chocolate notes. Nice.

Taste: Sweet cocoa and cream hit first, mighty dark malt floods the mouth. Medium bitterness, creamy mouthfeel. Oh, here come's the flavor. Tasty mix, real nice on the tongue.

Hey, let's read the label and find out why it's called Lugene: "If you've ever been to our brewery, you've likely seen the old, beat-up truck that hauls away our spent grain. That truck belongs to Lugene, who's been feeding his air cows the hearty malt for over a decade. Named in his honor, Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout is brewed with milk sugar and milk chocolate. The rich and creamy brew reminds us of a cold glass of chocolate milk and our hometown "Aggie" roots."

Flavor gets bigger and develops more while in the mouth. Very nice chocolate taste, smooth and delicious. Yum, actually.

One flaw, though, is the high alcohol. For me, if I want to strong stout, I want an imperial stout. If I'm drinking a chocolate stout, I don't necessarily want to be beaten with booze.

Aside from that, I do like this.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- dark roasty brown, non transparent. Medium lacing coffee in color with legs.

S- Upfront- roasty malts, oats, barley. In back- milk chocolate

T- Pretty delicious brew here. It does bridge the gap between stout and chocolate milk. Some may be turned away from this idea, but I like it.

M- Creamy, medium carb. Pretty thick for non ba stout.

O- A great session stout

4.07/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Black color with a flat appearance.

Robust aromas of chocolate and coffee. Raisins, roasted malt, cola.

Coffee and sweet chocolate dominate the flavors. Lightly hopped with a mild bitterness.

Super smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

A very good milk stout, true to form for the style.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Mmmm, have now enjoyed 3 bottles of this at various temperatures. Cold, warming, and nearly room temperature and it works at all 3 levels. A nearly silkly smooth stout (about as close to nitro as you can get w/o being nitro), and a perfect level of chocolate flavor. I can't stand chocolate stouts that are too heavy on the chocolate - it's beer not YooHoo.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is exactly what I love beer to look like. Satiny black, that winks back at you when you look at it. Just a touch of espresso foam brown that dances away as soon as you look at it, but leaves its marks on the wall. I've been excited to try this beer for some time, and I can already tell I'm going to like it. A lot.

Kind of a let down, though putting my nose to it. Not unappealing, just not really... anything. Smells kind of roasty-ish, hints of chocolate, and I swear something kind of rubbery. Huh.

OK, well that's more like it. The first thing I notice is just how incredibly creamy and smoothe it is. It's decently carbonated, too, so to have the effervescence playing off your tongue and still have an overwhelmingly creamy experience... it's a good 'un. The flavours are as you would expect: sweet creamy chocolate dominates everything else, with the sweet being bolstered by a definite lactose... sweetness. I figured this would be dessert, and it fits that bill quite well. There's some general roastiness and a hint of the thought of considerations of coffee perhaps, though that could just be a Pavlovian response to expecting to find it in dark beers. milky, syrupy goodness through and through.

Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout from Odell Brewing Company