Amuste - Odell Brewing Company

AmusteAmuste

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  9.30% ABV

Must is to wine as wort is to beer; the primordial ooze, the source and foundation, that feeds the process of fermentation we all love so much. Amuste is the culmination of a two year endeavor to marry these two fuels into the same fire. An Imperial Porter aged in oak wine barrels accented with juice with Tempranillo grapes grown on the Western Slope of Colorado, this harmonic carbonation is truly, a must.

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 02-15-2013)
4.04/5  rDev +4.4%

1.25/5  rDev -67.7%

drain pour

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

1.75/5  rDev -54.8%

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good head retention. Pours a nice deep opaque brown with really good creay tan head. Nice thick collar and swirls held until the very end. Pungent earthy wine-like aromas. Some nice sweet roasty malt character. Taste is the wine up front (dry, deep fruit, dark), grape juice right behind that but only for a second, and ends with a nice woody-ness. Great high carbonation and medium-thick body. I really dig this beer!

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750 ML bottle poured into non brewery affiliated snifter. Corked and capped bottle says 2013 on it and was purchased in March of 2013 in AZ since Odell does not distribute to my lovely state.

A: Brown with a little bit of a reddish hue. I will also add that it had a ton of head even with what I would consider was a tepid pour. Cork also released a thunderous pop when I took it out.

S: A decent amount of dark fruitiness. A small amount of chocolate and even a bit of wood.

T: Tasted like a fig newton to me. I couldn't stop coming back to that so I didn't really get much else.

M: Amuste is highly carbonated. I would say this is on the lighter side of medium, especially for a porter.

O: This bottle is somewhere around a year old so maybe that has something to do with the high amount of carbonation. It is possible that if I would have opened it fresh maybe it would have been a different story. I like the idea of what they were branching off and trying to do here. I also think that they have found something here. If this is a baseline and they tinker with this beer a bit I think it could be very good. The bottle that I just had I would say is between ok and good, but if the opportunity arises to try this beer in the future I will not pass it up.

Amuste from Odell Brewing Company