Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPATree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: denver10 on 04-10-2013

Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA has roots right here in Colorado. We balanced familiar citrusy hop notes with the subtle sweetness of local peaches. You might say we gave both the tree and the style a playful little shake.

to view more.
Ratings: 440 | Reviews: 80
4.57/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass. A lot of the reviews on here complain about the appearance of this beer because of all the sediment from the peaches in it. This really shouldn't be an issue as it makes the beer seem more authentic while not taking anything away. This beer is similar to other Odell IPAs in its feel and smooth bitterness. The peaches really eliminate any strong bitterness or any taste of alcohol. The beer is very flavorful and is just a very solid beer all around, and could be enjoyed by IPA lovers and those who typically stay away from bitter IPAs. Highly recommend, and think this twist on the IPA is a wonderful way to make imperials more accessible.

2.92/5  rDev -23%

lots of "floaties" just not very appealling

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a cloudy golden color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention is okay. Lacing is decent. There is a lot of sediment in the glass. Has a peachy, resinous aroma. Very appealing. Nice, smooth, fruity taste. You can discern the peach at the end. Nice malt to hop transition. Good resinous hoppy bite. Light to medium bodied. Hides the 8% very well.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Stub and Herb's
My favorite part was the feel. The sticky thick almost syrupy quality is what I like in this style. This was pretty flat and also appeared with virtually no head, so I don't know what that was about. Golden and hazy. Nice fruity quality with peach definitely in there but not solely. Bitterness was apparent but rather laid back for style. And the rest of the hop flavors were blended and leaned towards citrus and fruit. A rather tame version of style, but enjoyable nonetheless.

4.26/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another nice one from the OGs at Odell. A crushable, but full bodied DIPA with the welcome unfiltered addition of peaches. Subtle natural sweetness in the background with a faint touch of alcohol on the finish. Not malty at all which I love about my ideal DIPAs.. Ratings should be and will be higher. Come down touch on the price point.. Or go to 6 packs. I get it though.. Mm mm peaches!

4.85/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really liked the flavor, it's a great change from all the other doubles. I'm kinda surprised it's not higher rated.

3.84/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle just under room temp. Overall a very solid DIPA with a good smooth body. Wasn't too sweet and the peach flavor was not overpowering. Kinda wished I served it colder but it was still a good beer.

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Truely a solid beer, love that peach flavor almost wish it was stronger flavor, but mmmm well done

3.49/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't think this is supposed to be a "hazy" brew, if that's even the word to use. There is so much "stuff" floating around in this product that I wasn't even brave enough to taste it, assuming there was something wrong.

It smelled good enough, but the floaters totally turned me off. I give it a 1 for Look and 3.5 for Smell, but defaulted to 1 for Taste and Feel because I couldn't leave them blank.

I wrote Odell inquiring about the chunkiness of this product...

1 | 3.5 | 0 | 0 | 2

Update | 4/29/15
Odell's Quality Control Manager replied to my email. Here was his take:

"The sediment you are seeing is a protein-polyphenol complex and is commonly known as chill haze. We use real peaches in our Tree Shaker. A lot of them. Real fruit produces a unique and more authentic character to our beer, but as you have experienced first hand produces some other, shall we say, less than desirable consequences. It contains lots of proteins, and tannins, and pectins, and other squiggly bits of delicious compounds that can make it past our centrifuge. This is in no way harmful to you, but in some cases can be very unsightly. The variation you were seeing is likely due to the way the beer has been treated. We are working on some neat tricks to try and reduce this phenomenon, but once again, because we use real fruit it was a risk we were willing to take. Check our website out as I just wrote a blog post to help explain our situation further. I have attached a claim form for you to fill out at your convenience, so we can get you squared away and back to drinking your favorite jellyfish-free beer."

As such, I will re-rate this beer after I get a cleaner 4 pack.

That is great customer service right there, folks. < thumbs up >

Update | 5/16/15
Odell got me squared away financially and even sent me a T-shirt. Very much appreciated.

I have yet to see a 4 pack that wasn't loaded with floaters, but did end up straining the floaters out of one of the remaining bottles I had, so I've updated my ratings.

3.25 | 3.5 | 3.5 | 3.5 | 3.5

1.97/5  rDev -48%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I need to know if this beer is supposed to be loaded, I mean LOADED with cloudy sediment. Like jellyfish clusters populating my pint, I took two cautious sips and couldn't get past the floaters. The taste didn't help matters much, as it seemed mediocre, yet peachy, yet too much on my mind regarding the chunky particles to drink through this. Poured. Maybe I'll revisit this if it turns out this was infected, as I hope it was.

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a golden straw color with a one finger off white head that disappates fairly quickly. Aroma is mango and faint peach with a hint of malt sweetness. Taste has more peach, along with mango, and sweetness from the fruit and malt. Mouthfeel is a bit underwhelming and on the thin side for a dipa. Overall a very nice ipa that is refreshing and belies it's 8%abv. Quite a few of these could go down on a warm spring day outside.

4.23/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very flavorful. Just enough peach to make you want more without over doing it. Nice balance between hops and peach.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not overly hop-forward. Very well balanced. Peach is detectable but not overpowering (comparable to the amount of honey flavor in Bell's Hopslam). Overall, an outstanding and unique DIPA.

3.69/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful, radiant orange with a moderate sized white foam that quickly recedes. Leaves an even, uniform thin white head, with a small amount of lacing. Tons of sediment. The most I've seen in any beer. I think my bottle must have had extra sediment, judging by the rest of the reviews.

Aroma is very strong fruit and citrus and some slight pine. Some floral notes present as well. Moderate citrus hop aroma. Peaches come through, but don't dominate as much as expected. Mango, pineapple, and grapefruit are also evident.

Taste is dominated by the peach. Mango and apricot are also present. Some very light caramel malts on the back end. Very dry finish. Some slight hop bitterness. Taste suffered from being a little too thin, and was shockingly light for a DIPA.

Medium bodied. No bite from the alcohol. Finishes dry. Well carbonated.

Overall, I'm wondering if this was a bad bottle. Excessive sediment and lack of taste and character of a DIPA kind of makes me wonder. Not a bad beer by any means, but not quite what I expected. I'll definitely try to pick up another bottle to see if my suspicions were correct.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a semi-hazy golden/orange color. Nice thick two finger head. Good retention and lacing. Aroma was piney and fruity, with just a hint of sweet peaches. The flavor matched the aroma, with just a bit more bitterness than sweetness, and the peach flavors were more subdued. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, and somewhat creamy for an IIPA. Overall, pretty tasty, but not up there with the big boys.

4.24/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice. Best by date of 07/16/15.

Appearance: Pours a bright golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles and some floating sediment. Solid two finger white head which settles into a thin patchy layer.

Smell: A very ripe and fruity aroma with hints of citrus, pine, and peach. Upfront citrus hops with hints of grapefruit, orange peel, mango, lemon zest, and passion fruit. Floral and earthy hops with hints of pine. Some nice hints of the peaches come through. Also some hints of tea and spice along with some caramel malt. A pretty solid aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a very juicy hop forward taste with notes of citrus, peach, and pine. Citrus hop notes of ripe grapefruit, mango, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, and passion fruit. Floral, earthy, and grassy hops with some notes of pine. Sweet notes of the peaches come through. Some spicy notes as well. Backing malt notes of caramel, cracker, and yeast. A pretty solid taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Juicy, chewy, and fairly oily with a drying finish.

Overall: A pretty good twist on an Imperial IPA. Good citrus and floral hop flavors with a nice touch of peach juice.

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%

Peach flavor is very subtle with this one. It came through fairly nicely after eating some grapes, but on its own, it's a fairly typical DIPA with nice hop flavor.

4.73/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This may be my new favorite beer, nice combination of peach flavoring with a respectable amount of hops. Delicious!

2.88/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Expected more. Average rating is slightly inflated.

4.02/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a goblet glass.

Look: Opaque rusty tangerine colored body under a frothy white cap. Recession leaves a thick bubbly chunk in the center. Sheets of massive lacing.

Aroma: Lots of piny hops and general bitterness up front, dome citrus. Peach aroma is lacking, or minimal at best.

Taste: Really piny and hoppy up front, lots of evergreen tree in this. A good amount of citrus as well, and in the finish there is a subtle peach fruitiness and even some spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Pretty smooth for 8% ABV. Medium bodied overall.

Overall: I'm not getting tons of peach in this, which is good. But I expected just a little more. This is a really good DIPA regardless.

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy yellow orange with a medium creamy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is peach and piney resiny hops.

The flavor is fruity peach with balancing piney bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a nicely balanced peach IPA. I remember liking the version from 2 years ago better.

3.98/5  rDev +5%

Surprised by the scores on this one . . . I think it's better ipa than most are giving it credit for. Aromas aren't amazing but not bad. I'm detecting the peaches along with grass and dandelion. Taste is similar peaches, dandelion, and some floral flavors too. Mid eighties is not a terrible score but I think it is a well crafted beer. The peaches play the predominant roll here but don't come off as adjunct like. Overall I like it and glad I finally got to try it.

Okay, it's a peach-flavored DIPA. Does that make it good? Meh. It's fine. The peach is balanced pretty well, but I wouldn't go for this again at $11 for four. It's solid but there are just too many other fantastic DIPAs out there for this one to shine, fruit or no.

3.34/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

rb

12oz picked up at Whole Foods... Super happy to see this in smaller bottles. Pours a hazy golden with a short lived sudsy white head. Peach is present but in lesser amounts than I remember from last year instead a nice punch of tropical fruity hoppiness is the big player. Medium body with a pretty hefty carbonation.. burpy.

Okay... Not as good as I remember... Decent DIPA, but the peach is very subtle.

3.25/3.5/3.25/3.5/3.25

Nice and balanced with a subtle peach kick.

to view more.