Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPATree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: denver10 on 04-10-2013

Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA has roots right here in Colorado. We balanced familiar citrusy hop notes with the subtle sweetness of local peaches. You might say we gave both the tree and the style a playful little shake.

3.74/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From 7/18/15. Poured into an IPA glass from a 12 oz bottle brought back from AZ by snaotheus.

Color is clear orange gold with a very bubble thick white head and lots of floaters. Aroma is citrus with a bit of canned peaches. Taste is a some canned peaches, some orange, and a bit of pine that finishes with a bit of mild pith. Mouthfeel is medium with moderation carbonation. Overall, a very nice and drinkable beer.

3.82/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange with a ton of floaties and a one-finger white head. Light amount of lacing.

S - Aroma of sweet malts, floral hops, and light peach.

T - The taste has sweet malts and light peach upfront. The sweetness into a some nice piney hops. The finish has some grapefruit peel and a lingering light hop bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is soft with a dry finish.

O - This is a nice twist on the normal DIPA. The flavors are nice and balanced. Nice easy drinker.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, whose provenance is escaping me right now, other than it was in my haul when I returned from Sandpoint, Idaho a few days ago.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden yellow colour, with a whole lot of chunky floaties (peach flesh, I certainly hope), and one finger of puffy, weakly foamy, and kind of caked dirty white head, which leaves some sunken mountain range lace around the glass as it quickly abates.

It smells of musty stone fruit (peach, I guess, but more dried apricot than anything), grainy pale malt, a masked caramel sweetness, subtle orange and indistinct grapefruit citrus, ethereal yeast, and more leafy, piney, and floral hops. The taste is much more overt in its peachy goodness, over a staid bready caramel malt base, a muddled citrus and drupe fruitiness, soft earthy pine needle and acrid leafy bitters, and a bit of a Yuk-a-Flux party booziness.

The carbonation is fairly benign in its barely playful frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and generally smooth, the tacked-on fruitiness aiding to a certain degree, I suppose. It finishes off-dry, the inherent malt still relying on the peachy adjunct to shore up its lines against the lingering, if fading citrusy, piney, and floral hops.

Not a bad overall deal here - sure, it looks rather unpleasantly turbid (the majority of the times this happens, it's a drainpour and/or demanding my money back sort of situation), but that quickly blurs with a small dose of cognitive dissonance, and, Bob's yer uncle, we have a tasty peach-inflected, baby Yankee DIPA. Yeah, this is good, just don't think too hard about it.

3.38/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Best before 7/30/15.

Appearance: Orange and chocked full of clumpy sediment, never seen an Odell beer that wasn't clear. Thin white head.

Aroma: Crystal malts, some citrus, just a hint of something dank.

Taste: Quite light. The malt flavor is a sweet but clean and there hop character is mostly moderate bitterness. There is a bit of peach in there but it ends up feeling overly sweet paired with the malt. Not much hop flavor, which is unfortunate since Odell has some other seriously good IPAs. Finish is peachy and sweet with a nice bitterness in the aftertaste to balance things out. Wouldn't have guessed it's 8% ABV, but not thin either.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body with average carbonation. Decent drinkability but the sweetness becomes cloying.

Final Thoughts: I haven't had an Odell product in a while even though their line-up is great (hard to find fresh, though). I may have gone in with too high of expectations. Tree Shaker is a good IPA and better than most the competition on the shelves, but doesn't have a "wow" factor. Would I drink it again? Maybe on tap.

3.66/5  rDev -2.1%

Single picked up as a probe. 12 ounces of probe with an elephant on the label. The bottle is dated 7-30-15 which I’m going to assume is the drink-by date. Just in under the warm weather wire.

The pour is peachy orange with what appears to be about two ounces of peachy floating weightlessly. A swirl makes the thing look like an orange cream tornado. Carbonation is low. The nose is low enough volume that it’s hard to process: vague sweetness & peach. Not much of either.

Tree Shaker is less elephant/peach tree than dachshund/buckthorn. The peach comes on as it warms & puts its fruity boots on the throat of anything else that might surface in the beer. Mid-palate there’s some evergreen & light bitterness, but it’s the peach that’s stomping here. Really juicy & what it lacks in smell it’s making up in drinkability as the gunk-filled glass empties rapidly.

Cold this is a snooze, but opens up nicely as it warms. A good beer that I’d happily sip again.

3.59/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle split between a pair of Georgetown samplers. Date on the bottle is 07/21/15. Brought it back from Phoenix in my suitcase. Poured completely, but most of the sediment ended up in the other sampler, so mine's fairly clear.

Pours nearly clear with some little chunky floaters. Medium carbonation and small head. Smell is very mild, slightly citrus and slightly peach. A little pineapple.

Taste is a little hay, a little grass, a little grapefruit, and the peach flavor kind of acts as a mild sweetener. It's interesting and tasty, but not awesome. Some moderate bitter finish, maybe more fruitskin than anything else. Despite the picture on the label, I taste no elephant whatsoever.

Mouthfeel is slick and juicy. Overall, it's a pretty good beer.

4.31/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Lovely hazy amber-gold with a finger of white head and a bit of lacing. Lots of globular floaties - I gather this is typical for this beer.

Smell: Fairly subdued at first, but as it warms the sweet, fruity and slightly piney hops come through.

Taste: Sweet, tangy fruity malty flavors and a moderate amount of bitterness. The peach is noticeable throughout but it blends really well with the rest of the flavors. I'm not a huge hop head so for me the moderate level of hops is actually very welcome and appreciated.

Feel: Medium body with a pretty smooth mouthfeel. As I got to the bottom I could feel the slightly gelatinous floaties, which vaguely resemble orange juice pulp (semi-solid) and create a thicker mouthfeel.

Overall: I would describe this beer as an "imperial peach ale". The level of hops and ABV are pretty mild for an imperial IPA and the emphasis is definitely on the peach and other fruity aspects of the malt and hops. The main con is the floaties, which are basically harmless but disturb the appearance and to a lesser extent the mouthfeel of the beer. Honestly, I think that if they were invisible there would be far fewer complaints.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

You can really taste the peach and is a pretty decent DIPA. It is pretty thick and heavy though, even for a DIPA. Execution is nice and it is an excellent departure for the style.

Probably wouldn't purchase again, but would drink if available.

3.69/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Finger of head dissipates at a normal clip. Beer is clear golden yellow with a floating pulpy sediment.

Smell: Cat pissy hops, bright fruit right up front. A little peach but more so grapefruit.

Taste: Really well balanced. Not to sweet, not to bitter. Fruity juices up front with a mildly skunk bitter finish.

Feel: Medium to medium light body. Kinda oily. Fairly sticky.

Overall: Pretty halfway good. I was expecting way more fruit. Much more malt. The hop profile didn't really work for me. Meh.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a peachy-straw color with a two finger head that recedes slowly leaving a thin ring of lacing. It is heavily loaded with sediment, which seems to be the expected. Aroma of piney hops and a light note of peaches. Taste kinda follows the nose. Bitter, upfront piney hops at the front of the tongue with a slightly sweet peach flavor mellowing out the finish. The alcohol comes through in the aftertaste and isn't well hidden. Medium-full body and medium carbonation with the aforementioned boozy aftertaste.
It has the blatant hops of a DIPA with a touch of fruit sweetness. It is less harsh than expected and the fruit really does come through in the finish. A revisit definitely made a difference with this.

4.14/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle with a 8/1915 drink by date. Bright yellow with lots of visible floaters that I am assuming are peach. 1/2" of fine white head. Nose is sweet juicy fruit with little to no hop aroma. Taste is quite balance with stone fruit and citrus jammy sweetness balanced by slight grassy bitterness on the back end. Quite enjoyable and highly drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Pale yellow with just a film of white. 3.5
Citrus zest, blossoms, and maybe a hint of nectarine skin on the nose. 3.5
Caramel sauce and some soft fruit fleshiness then powdered tangerine drink, lemondrop, and herbal hops. 4
Grapefruit and yellow plum end and ringing bitter linger.
Halfway to medium, clingy, slight oil. 4

Underwhelming in the glass but makes up ground with hopping that is fresh, deft, yet assertive - like St Lupulin that way. But there's also an oversweet fruitiness in the middle, and there's neither sufficient IBUs (48?!) nor aroma to justify a DIPA (and it's 5 weeks out from bottling, so that's not the issue.) A rare flat note from Odell. 3.5

4.31/5  rDev +15.2%

L: Slightly hazy gold with floaties under a 2” cream colored foam cap that clings to the side of the glass.
S: Peachy citrus melon nose.
T: Peach, citrus, biscuit and melon. The balance between the added peach and the hop driven fruit flavors is very well done. The peach is there but it does not over power either the hops or the light biscuit flavor from the malts.
F: Medium body and carbonation. Soft on the mouth.
O: A very flavorful and well composed beer but the floaties are disconcerting.

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Ran across Tree Shaker on a jaunt to Winfield, KS at Bob's where I scored several great beers unavailable in OK. Never having had a peach IPA, I figured wtf. I could see the pile of dregs at the bottom so I poured softly. Still took on a fair amount of fuzzy peachy flocculation. The color is a nice golden yellow hue, but my gentle pour yielded very little in the way of froth. No lace to speak of either. I was ready for a peach blast to the nostrils, but to no avail. It was more of a grassy hopped up marmalade pastry thing. Well, surely the flavor will bring on the peach. Nope, not really. Not until room temp and then I got a tinge in the after, but mostly this beer was of the orange/pear citrus hop light bread variety. Feels fine - a bit velvety with a medium chew probably due to peach pulp. I must say I it was a let down for me. When a brewer boasts of fruits, I expect the fruits. Now this beer has a little less than 2 months before it's best by date and I have no idea how old it really is. Could be well past its prime.

4.57/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass. A lot of the reviews on here complain about the appearance of this beer because of all the sediment from the peaches in it. This really shouldn't be an issue as it makes the beer seem more authentic while not taking anything away. This beer is similar to other Odell IPAs in its feel and smooth bitterness. The peaches really eliminate any strong bitterness or any taste of alcohol. The beer is very flavorful and is just a very solid beer all around, and could be enjoyed by IPA lovers and those who typically stay away from bitter IPAs. Highly recommend, and think this twist on the IPA is a wonderful way to make imperials more accessible.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a cloudy golden color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention is okay. Lacing is decent. There is a lot of sediment in the glass. Has a peachy, resinous aroma. Very appealing. Nice, smooth, fruity taste. You can discern the peach at the end. Nice malt to hop transition. Good resinous hoppy bite. Light to medium bodied. Hides the 8% very well.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Stub and Herb's
My favorite part was the feel. The sticky thick almost syrupy quality is what I like in this style. This was pretty flat and also appeared with virtually no head, so I don't know what that was about. Golden and hazy. Nice fruity quality with peach definitely in there but not solely. Bitterness was apparent but rather laid back for style. And the rest of the hop flavors were blended and leaned towards citrus and fruit. A rather tame version of style, but enjoyable nonetheless.

4.26/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another nice one from the OGs at Odell. A crushable, but full bodied DIPA with the welcome unfiltered addition of peaches. Subtle natural sweetness in the background with a faint touch of alcohol on the finish. Not malty at all which I love about my ideal DIPAs.. Ratings should be and will be higher. Come down touch on the price point.. Or go to 6 packs. I get it though.. Mm mm peaches!

3.84/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle just under room temp. Overall a very solid DIPA with a good smooth body. Wasn't too sweet and the peach flavor was not overpowering. Kinda wished I served it colder but it was still a good beer.

3.49/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't think this is supposed to be a "hazy" brew, if that's even the word to use. There is so much "stuff" floating around in this product that I wasn't even brave enough to taste it, assuming there was something wrong.

It smelled good enough, but the floaters totally turned me off. I give it a 1 for Look and 3.5 for Smell, but defaulted to 1 for Taste and Feel because I couldn't leave them blank.

I wrote Odell inquiring about the chunkiness of this product...

1 | 3.5 | 0 | 0 | 2

Update | 4/29/15
Odell's Quality Control Manager replied to my email. Here was his take:

"The sediment you are seeing is a protein-polyphenol complex and is commonly known as chill haze. We use real peaches in our Tree Shaker. A lot of them. Real fruit produces a unique and more authentic character to our beer, but as you have experienced first hand produces some other, shall we say, less than desirable consequences. It contains lots of proteins, and tannins, and pectins, and other squiggly bits of delicious compounds that can make it past our centrifuge. This is in no way harmful to you, but in some cases can be very unsightly. The variation you were seeing is likely due to the way the beer has been treated. We are working on some neat tricks to try and reduce this phenomenon, but once again, because we use real fruit it was a risk we were willing to take. Check our website out as I just wrote a blog post to help explain our situation further. I have attached a claim form for you to fill out at your convenience, so we can get you squared away and back to drinking your favorite jellyfish-free beer."

As such, I will re-rate this beer after I get a cleaner 4 pack.

That is great customer service right there, folks. < thumbs up >

Update | 5/16/15
Odell got me squared away financially and even sent me a T-shirt. Very much appreciated.

I have yet to see a 4 pack that wasn't loaded with floaters, but did end up straining the floaters out of one of the remaining bottles I had, so I've updated my ratings.

3.25 | 3.5 | 3.5 | 3.5 | 3.5

1.97/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I need to know if this beer is supposed to be loaded, I mean LOADED with cloudy sediment. Like jellyfish clusters populating my pint, I took two cautious sips and couldn't get past the floaters. The taste didn't help matters much, as it seemed mediocre, yet peachy, yet too much on my mind regarding the chunky particles to drink through this. Poured. Maybe I'll revisit this if it turns out this was infected, as I hope it was.

3.92/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a golden straw color with a one finger off white head that disappates fairly quickly. Aroma is mango and faint peach with a hint of malt sweetness. Taste has more peach, along with mango, and sweetness from the fruit and malt. Mouthfeel is a bit underwhelming and on the thin side for a dipa. Overall a very nice ipa that is refreshing and belies it's 8%abv. Quite a few of these could go down on a warm spring day outside.

4.75/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not overly hop-forward. Very well balanced. Peach is detectable but not overpowering (comparable to the amount of honey flavor in Bell's Hopslam). Overall, an outstanding and unique DIPA.

3.69/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful, radiant orange with a moderate sized white foam that quickly recedes. Leaves an even, uniform thin white head, with a small amount of lacing. Tons of sediment. The most I've seen in any beer. I think my bottle must have had extra sediment, judging by the rest of the reviews.

Aroma is very strong fruit and citrus and some slight pine. Some floral notes present as well. Moderate citrus hop aroma. Peaches come through, but don't dominate as much as expected. Mango, pineapple, and grapefruit are also evident.

Taste is dominated by the peach. Mango and apricot are also present. Some very light caramel malts on the back end. Very dry finish. Some slight hop bitterness. Taste suffered from being a little too thin, and was shockingly light for a DIPA.

Medium bodied. No bite from the alcohol. Finishes dry. Well carbonated.

Overall, I'm wondering if this was a bad bottle. Excessive sediment and lack of taste and character of a DIPA kind of makes me wonder. Not a bad beer by any means, but not quite what I expected. I'll definitely try to pick up another bottle to see if my suspicions were correct.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a semi-hazy golden/orange color. Nice thick two finger head. Good retention and lacing. Aroma was piney and fruity, with just a hint of sweet peaches. The flavor matched the aroma, with just a bit more bitterness than sweetness, and the peach flavors were more subdued. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, and somewhat creamy for an IIPA. Overall, pretty tasty, but not up there with the big boys.

Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA from Odell Brewing Company