Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPATree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: denver10 on 04-10-2013

Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA has roots right here in Colorado. We balanced familiar citrusy hop notes with the subtle sweetness of local peaches. You might say we gave both the tree and the style a playful little shake.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 479 | Reviews: 86
4.14/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle with a 8/1915 drink by date. Bright yellow with lots of visible floaters that I am assuming are peach. 1/2" of fine white head. Nose is sweet juicy fruit with little to no hop aroma. Taste is quite balance with stone fruit and citrus jammy sweetness balanced by slight grassy bitterness on the back end. Quite enjoyable and highly drinkable.

4.44/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells light and fruity, refreshing for a high abv beer, light peach. Surprisingly good

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Pale yellow with just a film of white. 3.5
Citrus zest, blossoms, and maybe a hint of nectarine skin on the nose. 3.5
Caramel sauce and some soft fruit fleshiness then powdered tangerine drink, lemondrop, and herbal hops. 4
Grapefruit and yellow plum end and ringing bitter linger.
Halfway to medium, clingy, slight oil. 4

Underwhelming in the glass but makes up ground with hopping that is fresh, deft, yet assertive - like St Lupulin that way. But there's also an oversweet fruitiness in the middle, and there's neither sufficient IBUs (48?!) nor aroma to justify a DIPA (and it's 5 weeks out from bottling, so that's not the issue.) A rare flat note from Odell. 3.5

4.31/5  rDev +13.4%

L: Slightly hazy gold with floaties under a 2” cream colored foam cap that clings to the side of the glass.
S: Peachy citrus melon nose.
T: Peach, citrus, biscuit and melon. The balance between the added peach and the hop driven fruit flavors is very well done. The peach is there but it does not over power either the hops or the light biscuit flavor from the malts.
F: Medium body and carbonation. Soft on the mouth.
O: A very flavorful and well composed beer but the floaties are disconcerting.

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Ran across Tree Shaker on a jaunt to Winfield, KS at Bob's where I scored several great beers unavailable in OK. Never having had a peach IPA, I figured wtf. I could see the pile of dregs at the bottom so I poured softly. Still took on a fair amount of fuzzy peachy flocculation. The color is a nice golden yellow hue, but my gentle pour yielded very little in the way of froth. No lace to speak of either. I was ready for a peach blast to the nostrils, but to no avail. It was more of a grassy hopped up marmalade pastry thing. Well, surely the flavor will bring on the peach. Nope, not really. Not until room temp and then I got a tinge in the after, but mostly this beer was of the orange/pear citrus hop light bread variety. Feels fine - a bit velvety with a medium chew probably due to peach pulp. I must say I it was a let down for me. When a brewer boasts of fruits, I expect the fruits. Now this beer has a little less than 2 months before it's best by date and I have no idea how old it really is. Could be well past its prime.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This one lived up to expectations. Odell always seems to brew slightly above the average all the time. Colorado Craft in full bloom here!

4.57/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass. A lot of the reviews on here complain about the appearance of this beer because of all the sediment from the peaches in it. This really shouldn't be an issue as it makes the beer seem more authentic while not taking anything away. This beer is similar to other Odell IPAs in its feel and smooth bitterness. The peaches really eliminate any strong bitterness or any taste of alcohol. The beer is very flavorful and is just a very solid beer all around, and could be enjoyed by IPA lovers and those who typically stay away from bitter IPAs. Highly recommend, and think this twist on the IPA is a wonderful way to make imperials more accessible.

2.92/5  rDev -23.2%

lots of "floaties" just not very appealling

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a cloudy golden color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention is okay. Lacing is decent. There is a lot of sediment in the glass. Has a peachy, resinous aroma. Very appealing. Nice, smooth, fruity taste. You can discern the peach at the end. Nice malt to hop transition. Good resinous hoppy bite. Light to medium bodied. Hides the 8% very well.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Stub and Herb's
My favorite part was the feel. The sticky thick almost syrupy quality is what I like in this style. This was pretty flat and also appeared with virtually no head, so I don't know what that was about. Golden and hazy. Nice fruity quality with peach definitely in there but not solely. Bitterness was apparent but rather laid back for style. And the rest of the hop flavors were blended and leaned towards citrus and fruit. A rather tame version of style, but enjoyable nonetheless.

4.26/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another nice one from the OGs at Odell. A crushable, but full bodied DIPA with the welcome unfiltered addition of peaches. Subtle natural sweetness in the background with a faint touch of alcohol on the finish. Not malty at all which I love about my ideal DIPAs.. Ratings should be and will be higher. Come down touch on the price point.. Or go to 6 packs. I get it though.. Mm mm peaches!

4.85/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really liked the flavor, it's a great change from all the other doubles. I'm kinda surprised it's not higher rated.

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle just under room temp. Overall a very solid DIPA with a good smooth body. Wasn't too sweet and the peach flavor was not overpowering. Kinda wished I served it colder but it was still a good beer.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Truely a solid beer, love that peach flavor almost wish it was stronger flavor, but mmmm well done

3.49/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't think this is supposed to be a "hazy" brew, if that's even the word to use. There is so much "stuff" floating around in this product that I wasn't even brave enough to taste it, assuming there was something wrong.

It smelled good enough, but the floaters totally turned me off. I give it a 1 for Look and 3.5 for Smell, but defaulted to 1 for Taste and Feel because I couldn't leave them blank.

I wrote Odell inquiring about the chunkiness of this product...

1 | 3.5 | 0 | 0 | 2

Update | 4/29/15
Odell's Quality Control Manager replied to my email. Here was his take:

"The sediment you are seeing is a protein-polyphenol complex and is commonly known as chill haze. We use real peaches in our Tree Shaker. A lot of them. Real fruit produces a unique and more authentic character to our beer, but as you have experienced first hand produces some other, shall we say, less than desirable consequences. It contains lots of proteins, and tannins, and pectins, and other squiggly bits of delicious compounds that can make it past our centrifuge. This is in no way harmful to you, but in some cases can be very unsightly. The variation you were seeing is likely due to the way the beer has been treated. We are working on some neat tricks to try and reduce this phenomenon, but once again, because we use real fruit it was a risk we were willing to take. Check our website out as I just wrote a blog post to help explain our situation further. I have attached a claim form for you to fill out at your convenience, so we can get you squared away and back to drinking your favorite jellyfish-free beer."

As such, I will re-rate this beer after I get a cleaner 4 pack.

That is great customer service right there, folks. < thumbs up >

Update | 5/16/15
Odell got me squared away financially and even sent me a T-shirt. Very much appreciated.

I have yet to see a 4 pack that wasn't loaded with floaters, but did end up straining the floaters out of one of the remaining bottles I had, so I've updated my ratings.

3.25 | 3.5 | 3.5 | 3.5 | 3.5

1.97/5  rDev -48.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I need to know if this beer is supposed to be loaded, I mean LOADED with cloudy sediment. Like jellyfish clusters populating my pint, I took two cautious sips and couldn't get past the floaters. The taste didn't help matters much, as it seemed mediocre, yet peachy, yet too much on my mind regarding the chunky particles to drink through this. Poured. Maybe I'll revisit this if it turns out this was infected, as I hope it was.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a golden straw color with a one finger off white head that disappates fairly quickly. Aroma is mango and faint peach with a hint of malt sweetness. Taste has more peach, along with mango, and sweetness from the fruit and malt. Mouthfeel is a bit underwhelming and on the thin side for a dipa. Overall a very nice ipa that is refreshing and belies it's 8%abv. Quite a few of these could go down on a warm spring day outside.

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very flavorful. Just enough peach to make you want more without over doing it. Nice balance between hops and peach.

4.75/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not overly hop-forward. Very well balanced. Peach is detectable but not overpowering (comparable to the amount of honey flavor in Bell's Hopslam). Overall, an outstanding and unique DIPA.

3.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful, radiant orange with a moderate sized white foam that quickly recedes. Leaves an even, uniform thin white head, with a small amount of lacing. Tons of sediment. The most I've seen in any beer. I think my bottle must have had extra sediment, judging by the rest of the reviews.

Aroma is very strong fruit and citrus and some slight pine. Some floral notes present as well. Moderate citrus hop aroma. Peaches come through, but don't dominate as much as expected. Mango, pineapple, and grapefruit are also evident.

Taste is dominated by the peach. Mango and apricot are also present. Some very light caramel malts on the back end. Very dry finish. Some slight hop bitterness. Taste suffered from being a little too thin, and was shockingly light for a DIPA.

Medium bodied. No bite from the alcohol. Finishes dry. Well carbonated.

Overall, I'm wondering if this was a bad bottle. Excessive sediment and lack of taste and character of a DIPA kind of makes me wonder. Not a bad beer by any means, but not quite what I expected. I'll definitely try to pick up another bottle to see if my suspicions were correct.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a semi-hazy golden/orange color. Nice thick two finger head. Good retention and lacing. Aroma was piney and fruity, with just a hint of sweet peaches. The flavor matched the aroma, with just a bit more bitterness than sweetness, and the peach flavors were more subdued. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, and somewhat creamy for an IIPA. Overall, pretty tasty, but not up there with the big boys.

4.24/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice. Best by date of 07/16/15.

Appearance: Pours a bright golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles and some floating sediment. Solid two finger white head which settles into a thin patchy layer.

Smell: A very ripe and fruity aroma with hints of citrus, pine, and peach. Upfront citrus hops with hints of grapefruit, orange peel, mango, lemon zest, and passion fruit. Floral and earthy hops with hints of pine. Some nice hints of the peaches come through. Also some hints of tea and spice along with some caramel malt. A pretty solid aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a very juicy hop forward taste with notes of citrus, peach, and pine. Citrus hop notes of ripe grapefruit, mango, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, and passion fruit. Floral, earthy, and grassy hops with some notes of pine. Sweet notes of the peaches come through. Some spicy notes as well. Backing malt notes of caramel, cracker, and yeast. A pretty solid taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Juicy, chewy, and fairly oily with a drying finish.

Overall: A pretty good twist on an Imperial IPA. Good citrus and floral hop flavors with a nice touch of peach juice.

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

Peach flavor is very subtle with this one. It came through fairly nicely after eating some grapes, but on its own, it's a fairly typical DIPA with nice hop flavor.

4.73/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This may be my new favorite beer, nice combination of peach flavoring with a respectable amount of hops. Delicious!

2.88/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Expected more. Average rating is slightly inflated.

Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA from Odell Brewing Company