Longboat Chocolate Porter - Phillips Brewing Company

Longboat Chocolate PorterLongboat Chocolate Porter

Phillips Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

English Porter |  5.20% ABV

Classic Pairings in History: Stevie Wonder & Paul McCartney Super Dave Osborne & Mr. Fuji Cheddar cheese & pickles Bob & Doug McKenzie Mork & Mindy Bonnie & Clyde Chocolate & Beer!!! We'd say that Longboat is a classic chocolate porter, but lets face it, who's ever heard of a chocolate porter? It is, however, a rich dark ale, with a distinctive chocolate finish. Comes in a 650mL bottle, cause 341mL just isn't enough!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-17-2004)
View: Beers (65) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Knuckles:
Knuckles

Washington

1.2/5  rDev -68%

When I was a kid, I once touched a hot iron. My mom saw me eyeing the iron and said, "Don't touch it, it's hot." Well no shit, mom. I KNOW it's hot. What I don't know is just how hot it is. So, I touched the iron and learned a very valuable lesson: hot irons really ARE hot, just like mom says. (I then went and watched "Son of Godzilla", and learned that if you have giant preying mantises on an island, big ass lizards are the way to go. I also learned that thermonuclear bombs make the giant preying mantises even bigger, but don't seem to do a damn thing to the giant lizards. It was a lesson-filled day.). Anyway, this beer is somewhat like that iron.

I have had, over the years, four or five different beers from Phillips Brewing and I haven't cared for any of them. However, I keep going back to touch the iron, hoping I was wrong all those other times I got burned. Well, I am once again wrong, and now refuse to go back to the iron. If someone wants to hand me a bottle of Amnesia, I'll give it a shot. But I'm sure as hell not going to buy the damn thing. Even this dumbass can get burned one time too many.

The theme of today's review is: Flat, watery, maraschino cherry syrup laden cola.

Appearance: Again with the "when I was a kid" crap. When I was a kid, every time we would go to a Chinese restaurant I would order a Shirley Temple and my brother would order a Roy Rogers (to compound my faux pas, I would also order a hamburger, as my only frame of reference for Chinese food was the La Choy swill my mom would foist on us twice a month). We had no idea who Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers were at the time, we just knew that we were either getting Sprite or Coke with an assload of maraschino cherry syrup added to it. This thing looks like a Roy Rogers that has had all the ice melt. Dark red and watery, and nothing like a porter at all.

Smell: I might smell chocolate, but really it just smells sweet. Not malt sweet, like "Hey, this is a malty beer" but syrupy sweet as in "Ok, who's the jackass that dumped their chocolate syrup in my beer?"

Taste: There is nothing even remotely resembling a porter in this taste. It's all syrupy sweet and then a hint of semi-dark chocolate. It really does taste like a flat Roy Rogers, or a flat chocolate Coke (which, I'm sorry to say, is one of the nastiest creations - the soda, not the beer - I've ever had the misfortune to taste). Even my eight year old doesn't like this beer, and he's a sugar junkie like any other kid his age. (In his words: "tastes like really bad chocolate with no taste." No, I haven't the faintest idea what he means.)

Mouthfeel: Again, yet another watery soda comparison. Very thin, very watery. I want a porter to have some presence in my mouth, and this one simply doesn't. This has all the mouthfeel magic of orange Gatorade, without the electrolyte boost.

Drinkability: Sorry, can't do it, and won't recommend it. I won't be able to finish this bomber. It truly is a drain pour.

The label reads as follows: "Big and rich, this London style porter is charged with chocolate to give a distinctive finish."

1) This is London-style like I'm a big band leader. It may want to be, but only in its dreams.

2) Yes, it's charged with chocolate and yes, it has a distinctive finish. However, neither element is really a positive. If you're going to make a chocolate porter, I would suggest going for a REAL London style, one that has a dry, roasty, almost smoky finish (you know, coke fired malts and the like), and then use some nice, dry baker's chocolate to give you that dry, chocolatey finish you are purportedly going for. Because if that is precisely what was being aimed for, this beer fails miserably.

08-27-2005 03:37:51 | More by Knuckles

Arizona

05-08-2014 20:49:23 | More by EyePeeAyBryan
CalgaryFMC

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

Enjoyed right at ground zero, the Phillips tasting room in Victoria BC (basically the front of the brewery). A dark brownish black brew with a faint yellow halo at the bottom of the glass and a smattering of khaki head. Aroma was rather fruity for such a dark brew, with some currant notes along with the expected roasted coffee and chocolate. Palate is initially bittersweet chocolate truffle, vanilla, and medium roast coffee, but this evolves over the course of sips, with some additional fruit roll up, peanut butter, and caramel notes appearing. Gets sweeter as you go, really. Body is quite light and drinkable, truth be told, with a smooth creaminess and a semi-dry finish full of cacao powder. Fantastic dessert beer that had to overcome some of my "special ingredient" biases to earn these ratings. Solid English porter base with a tasteful yet assertive layering of sweet flavors.

04-29-2014 00:52:59 | More by CalgaryFMC

Duggyb

02-01-2014 18:43:29 | More by Duggyb
souvenirs

3.43/5  rDev -8.5%

A: impenetrable black with an inch or so of mocha head.
S: dark, grainy, and a bit sweet.
T: bitter dark roast coffee / cocoa flavour. almost burnt. this one doesn't taste as sweet to me as others have said it does.
F: smooth, with minimal carbonation.

I don't love it and I don't hate it. I don't regret trying it, but I probably won't get it again.

01-16-2014 03:32:16 | More by souvenirs
LampertLand

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Phillip's Brewing 'Longboat Chocolate Porter' @ 5.2% served fresh from a growler purchased for $10 , or try a Govt Liquor Store , 650 ml bottles for $5

A - pours is a lovely dark chocolate brown from the growler to glass with a creamy tan head leaving a streaky lace along the pint

S - sweet chocolate , dark malts , cocoa

T - so smooth and creamy , pleasant but is not over powering sweet , there's just a hint of bitterness like bakers chocolate at the end of the swallow

MF - ok/good carbonation , medium body , real easy drinking beer

Ov - what can I say this is the house favourite , Mom & Sis enjoy it and ask me to pick some up whenever I visit the jar store's , most refills on my growler list , a little bit harder to find on tap sometimes , a good beer anytime and possibly anywhere

prost LampertLand

12-31-2013 07:44:07 | More by LampertLand
smakawhat

Maryland

3.2/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip pint glass.

Deep and classic opaque walnut brown, not a hue or speck of light gets through. Head forms shampoo and soapy tan with shampoo like bubbles at about four fingers tall. Settles to a thick fluffy top but falls quite noticeably. Manages to leave a puck while consuming.

Chocolate malt powdery nose. Dry grainy senses, and soft roasting qualities. A little milky character follows also. Lots of dry cocoa also.

Palate comes with a very wet body even for a porter. Strange tingling front tip tongue sensations almost metal and very tinny, with some weird carbonation. Light wet bodied malt coating in the palate and very fleeting. Milky chocolate disappears quickly while noticeable, on first sips. Some noticeable cola like sweetness though which seems to match a saccharine like quality.

There are some classic porter elements here but they are too weak and not really carrying well. The cocoa addition comes off more as a medicinally sweet addition than adding anything really interesting to the beers profile.

12-28-2013 22:38:04 | More by smakawhat

3.75/5  rDev 0%

11-03-2013 14:20:04 | More by DamageCase76
StJamesGate

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

On draft at Malone's, Vancouver.

Steady tan film over garnet-tinged chocolate black body.
Cocoa and charcoal on the nose.
Chocolate truffle, a bit of ash, some blackberry and hints of other fruit then faint earthy hops.
Powdery finish and black currant linger.
Light, smooth, round.

It's Porterhouse Truffle Stout! In that it's thin, one note, but still tasty. Easy as...

10-21-2013 19:25:14 | More by StJamesGate