Longboat Chocolate Porter - Phillips Brewing Company

Longboat Chocolate PorterLongboat Chocolate Porter

Phillips Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

English Porter |  5.20% ABV

Classic Pairings in History: Stevie Wonder & Paul McCartney Super Dave Osborne & Mr. Fuji Cheddar cheese & pickles Bob & Doug McKenzie Mork & Mindy Bonnie & Clyde Chocolate & Beer!!! We'd say that Longboat is a classic chocolate porter, but lets face it, who's ever heard of a chocolate porter? It is, however, a rich dark ale, with a distinctive chocolate finish. Comes in a 650mL bottle, cause 341mL just isn't enough!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-17-2004)
1.2/5  rDev -68.1%

When I was a kid, I once touched a hot iron. My mom saw me eyeing the iron and said, "Don't touch it, it's hot." Well no shit, mom. I KNOW it's hot. What I don't know is just how hot it is. So, I touched the iron and learned a very valuable lesson: hot irons really ARE hot, just like mom says. (I then went and watched "Son of Godzilla", and learned that if you have giant preying mantises on an island, big ass lizards are the way to go. I also learned that thermonuclear bombs make the giant preying mantises even bigger, but don't seem to do a damn thing to the giant lizards. It was a lesson-filled day.). Anyway, this beer is somewhat like that iron.

I have had, over the years, four or five different beers from Phillips Brewing and I haven't cared for any of them. However, I keep going back to touch the iron, hoping I was wrong all those other times I got burned. Well, I am once again wrong, and now refuse to go back to the iron. If someone wants to hand me a bottle of Amnesia, I'll give it a shot. But I'm sure as hell not going to buy the damn thing. Even this dumbass can get burned one time too many.

The theme of today's review is: Flat, watery, maraschino cherry syrup laden cola.

Appearance: Again with the "when I was a kid" crap. When I was a kid, every time we would go to a Chinese restaurant I would order a Shirley Temple and my brother would order a Roy Rogers (to compound my faux pas, I would also order a hamburger, as my only frame of reference for Chinese food was the La Choy swill my mom would foist on us twice a month). We had no idea who Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers were at the time, we just knew that we were either getting Sprite or Coke with an assload of maraschino cherry syrup added to it. This thing looks like a Roy Rogers that has had all the ice melt. Dark red and watery, and nothing like a porter at all.

Smell: I might smell chocolate, but really it just smells sweet. Not malt sweet, like "Hey, this is a malty beer" but syrupy sweet as in "Ok, who's the jackass that dumped their chocolate syrup in my beer?"

Taste: There is nothing even remotely resembling a porter in this taste. It's all syrupy sweet and then a hint of semi-dark chocolate. It really does taste like a flat Roy Rogers, or a flat chocolate Coke (which, I'm sorry to say, is one of the nastiest creations - the soda, not the beer - I've ever had the misfortune to taste). Even my eight year old doesn't like this beer, and he's a sugar junkie like any other kid his age. (In his words: "tastes like really bad chocolate with no taste." No, I haven't the faintest idea what he means.)

Mouthfeel: Again, yet another watery soda comparison. Very thin, very watery. I want a porter to have some presence in my mouth, and this one simply doesn't. This has all the mouthfeel magic of orange Gatorade, without the electrolyte boost.

Drinkability: Sorry, can't do it, and won't recommend it. I won't be able to finish this bomber. It truly is a drain pour.

The label reads as follows: "Big and rich, this London style porter is charged with chocolate to give a distinctive finish."

1) This is London-style like I'm a big band leader. It may want to be, but only in its dreams.

2) Yes, it's charged with chocolate and yes, it has a distinctive finish. However, neither element is really a positive. If you're going to make a chocolate porter, I would suggest going for a REAL London style, one that has a dry, roasty, almost smoky finish (you know, coke fired malts and the like), and then use some nice, dry baker's chocolate to give you that dry, chocolatey finish you are purportedly going for. Because if that is precisely what was being aimed for, this beer fails miserably.

1.63/5  rDev -56.6%

From notes.

Dark brown with some light around the edges when backlit. Fizzy tan head fades fast. No lacing.

Chocolate syrup and not much else. With a swirl, I get faint booze and a light whiff of base grains.

Better than the nose, but not much. Chocolate syrup and something sorta dark fruity trying to poke through. Way to sweet and chocolate syrupy!

Too much carbonation tingle, medium body, and a bit of viscosity. More warming than I'd expect for its size. Or is that that overly strong carbonation?

I support being creative and experimental. But whose idea was it ot dump a bunch of Hershey's syrup in what may have been a decent beer? Very disappointing. I don't do drain pours, but if I did, I would have. Not at all enthused about finishing this.

2.63/5  rDev -30.1%

Poured with a very, very dark brown color and little foam. Looking a lot like a Coke with lots of bubbles. There was a strong smell of milk chocolate powder mix and some ashes. Tasting it my first impression was how thin the body was for an English porter, compared to, for instance, the excellent Fuller's London Porter or Young's Double Chocolate. Then came the chocolate notes and, at the end, the ashes. There was also some weird sweet smell/flavour reminding me of the stuff they use for desinfection at hospitals. A grave disappointment considering my previous experience with Phillips beers.

2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Clear, dark brown with chestnut highlights. A vigourous pour produced about an inch of fizzy tan foam that fell quickly to a ring. Just a little lacing. Malty aroma with notes of cocoa, roast, burnt, and light caramel. Not bad at all. The flavour is all kinds of wrong, especially compared to the aroma. Fairly sweet with little balancing bitterness, the major flavour component seems to be tart cherries that are dominant from beginning to end. There's not much in the way of chocolate, roast, or malt here, but as it warms these qualities become barely apparent. The body's strange as well, with not much heft up front but a little syrupy in the finish. The carbonation is rough as well, giving it a bit of soda character. What a peculiar beer. I really enjoyed the aroma, which was exactly what I was expecting. The flavour seems like it belongs to a completely different beer. It's not terrible, but not something I'd have again. Thanks wintermute!

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

2.8/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a dark brown color with a small tan head that disappeared quickly. A sweet smell of chocolate milk and cocoa dominates. The body of this is way too light for a porter. There is a watery cocoa taste... did not appeal to me at all. Overall this was a disappointment, don't think I'll buy this again.

2.83/5  rDev -24.7%

Bottled sample via oakes. Near black in colour with red hints and medium carbonation. Single-minded aroma of chocolate syrup (it REALLY reminds me of Quick). Loads of milk chocolate flavor with a touch of fruit and a finish of roasted nuts and black patent malt. Some sweetness at the start, but the palate gets watery and thin quite quickly... so not much body to speak of. It dries out way too fast as well. Overall, everything starts off well, but the follow-through is weak.

2.85/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Picked up this bomber at the local liquor store.

Pours an opaque brown, red in the edges, decently thick and medium sized tan head forms, quickly settles down to a thin ring, no lacing. Smell is chocolate, nuts, toffee, bready, some light roast, more chocolate milk, reminds me a lot of the Rogue Hazelnut porter. Taste is very thin, some light chocolate roast, caramel, weak coffee, almost nothing there, very bland. Mouthfeel is thin bodied with medium carbonation, doesn't feel very good. Smell was okay but the flavour is very weak and watery, not good.

2.9/5  rDev -22.9%

Bottle: Poured a black color ale with a medium head with good retention. Aroma of chocolate is subtler the name of the beer would suggest. Taste is drier then expected (I was expecting more sweet chocolate then anything else). Body is about average but lack the creamy texture that would have made this a great beer. Definitely not one of my favourite, I was expecting more from this brewery I guess.

2.98/5  rDev -20.7%

Looks good, opaque and black with a small tan head, disperses slowly leaving small amounts of lacing.

Almost nothing going on here aromatically, some faint roasted notes and an overcooked corn vegetal thing I've gotten on all Phillips beers to some degree. Not disgusting by any means but far from good.

More of the same on the palate, faint roasted notes and a hint of chocolate if that much. Over-cooked veggie thing pops up again for me mid-palate but doesn't dominate the beer like some others. Again not terrible but nothing remarkable either.

Milky and smooth with subtle carbonation makes up for the lack or aromatics and flavour but only to a point.

Thanks to the smooth mouthfeel and overall lack of...well anything noteworthy, this beer is somehow fairly drinkable (at least in so far as I would have no problem finishing off a pint or two), but it definitely wouldn't become my go to at the bar or at home (in fact buying it once is probably enough).

As an aside my review is probably somewhat more to the negative because of these vegetal notes, something that particularly bugs me and may not be noticed by everyone.

3.03/5  rDev -19.4%

650ml bottle poured into pint glass 11/12/11

A dark cola with a short lived dark tan head that leaves no lace

S chocolate milk with some cold coffee and sour fruit

T some more dark malts on top of what I smell, there's something not quite right here, its not offensive but like a weak milk stout that's not grooving with me

M lacking body but has plenty of bubbles, almost a little foamy with a short lived burnt malt aftertaste

O like I said above nothing offensive but nothing special

far below my Phillips standards for sure, pretty average stuff from an above average brewery

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip pint glass.

Deep and classic opaque walnut brown, not a hue or speck of light gets through. Head forms shampoo and soapy tan with shampoo like bubbles at about four fingers tall. Settles to a thick fluffy top but falls quite noticeably. Manages to leave a puck while consuming.

Chocolate malt powdery nose. Dry grainy senses, and soft roasting qualities. A little milky character follows also. Lots of dry cocoa also.

Palate comes with a very wet body even for a porter. Strange tingling front tip tongue sensations almost metal and very tinny, with some weird carbonation. Light wet bodied malt coating in the palate and very fleeting. Milky chocolate disappears quickly while noticeable, on first sips. Some noticeable cola like sweetness though which seems to match a saccharine like quality.

There are some classic porter elements here but they are too weak and not really carrying well. The cocoa addition comes off more as a medicinally sweet addition than adding anything really interesting to the beers profile.

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottle from IllNate, way back when. 650ml bottle into a pint glass. Thanks Nathan.

Pours a dark brown, couple fingers of tan head. Body is not opaque, some burgundy and ruby red shades come through in better light. Light retention and lace. Cocoa and milk chocolate in the nose, subtle hint of some roast/smoke in the malt. Maybe. Taste wasn't as nice, a watery cocoa flavour was all that I could get. Lacks body and thickness, flavour limited to the mild cocoa and milk chocolate. Mouthfeel needs improving. Higher carbonation than I would've liked, but drinkability was OK.

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

The label promises big chocolate notes and alas what is inside does not deliver . I found this too thin for my tastes and not moca enough. Drinkable but not memorable. Compare to the Spy Porter from Tree and you can see the difference a strong midbody can make in this style.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Longboat Chocolate Porter from Phillips Brewing Company