2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Longboat Chocolate Porter - Phillips Brewing Company

Longboat Chocolate PorterLongboat Chocolate Porter

good

Phillips Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

English Porter |  5.20% ABV

Classic Pairings in History: Stevie Wonder & Paul McCartney Super Dave Osborne & Mr. Fuji Cheddar cheese & pickles Bob & Doug McKenzie Mork & Mindy Bonnie & Clyde Chocolate & Beer!!! We'd say that Longboat is a classic chocolate porter, but lets face it, who's ever heard of a chocolate porter? It is, however, a rich dark ale, with a distinctive chocolate finish. Comes in a 650mL bottle, cause 341mL just isn't enough!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-17-2004)
View: Beers (61) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 98 | Reviews: 48 | Show All Ratings:
Knuckles

Washington

1.2/5  rDev -67.7%

When I was a kid, I once touched a hot iron. My mom saw me eyeing the iron and said, "Don't touch it, it's hot." Well no shit, mom. I KNOW it's hot. What I don't know is just how hot it is. So, I touched the iron and learned a very valuable lesson: hot irons really ARE hot, just like mom says. (I then went and watched "Son of Godzilla", and learned that if you have giant preying mantises on an island, big ass lizards are the way to go. I also learned that thermonuclear bombs make the giant preying mantises even bigger, but don't seem to do a damn thing to the giant lizards. It was a lesson-filled day.). Anyway, this beer is somewhat like that iron.

I have had, over the years, four or five different beers from Phillips Brewing and I haven't cared for any of them. However, I keep going back to touch the iron, hoping I was wrong all those other times I got burned. Well, I am once again wrong, and now refuse to go back to the iron. If someone wants to hand me a bottle of Amnesia, I'll give it a shot. But I'm sure as hell not going to buy the damn thing. Even this dumbass can get burned one time too many.

The theme of today's review is: Flat, watery, maraschino cherry syrup laden cola.

Appearance: Again with the "when I was a kid" crap. When I was a kid, every time we would go to a Chinese restaurant I would order a Shirley Temple and my brother would order a Roy Rogers (to compound my faux pas, I would also order a hamburger, as my only frame of reference for Chinese food was the La Choy swill my mom would foist on us twice a month). We had no idea who Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers were at the time, we just knew that we were either getting Sprite or Coke with an assload of maraschino cherry syrup added to it. This thing looks like a Roy Rogers that has had all the ice melt. Dark red and watery, and nothing like a porter at all.

Smell: I might smell chocolate, but really it just smells sweet. Not malt sweet, like "Hey, this is a malty beer" but syrupy sweet as in "Ok, who's the jackass that dumped their chocolate syrup in my beer?"

Taste: There is nothing even remotely resembling a porter in this taste. It's all syrupy sweet and then a hint of semi-dark chocolate. It really does taste like a flat Roy Rogers, or a flat chocolate Coke (which, I'm sorry to say, is one of the nastiest creations - the soda, not the beer - I've ever had the misfortune to taste). Even my eight year old doesn't like this beer, and he's a sugar junkie like any other kid his age. (In his words: "tastes like really bad chocolate with no taste." No, I haven't the faintest idea what he means.)

Mouthfeel: Again, yet another watery soda comparison. Very thin, very watery. I want a porter to have some presence in my mouth, and this one simply doesn't. This has all the mouthfeel magic of orange Gatorade, without the electrolyte boost.

Drinkability: Sorry, can't do it, and won't recommend it. I won't be able to finish this bomber. It truly is a drain pour.

The label reads as follows: "Big and rich, this London style porter is charged with chocolate to give a distinctive finish."

1) This is London-style like I'm a big band leader. It may want to be, but only in its dreams.

2) Yes, it's charged with chocolate and yes, it has a distinctive finish. However, neither element is really a positive. If you're going to make a chocolate porter, I would suggest going for a REAL London style, one that has a dry, roasty, almost smoky finish (you know, coke fired malts and the like), and then use some nice, dry baker's chocolate to give you that dry, chocolatey finish you are purportedly going for. Because if that is precisely what was being aimed for, this beer fails miserably.

08-27-2005 03:37:51 | More by Knuckles
sprucetip

Alaska

1.63/5  rDev -56.1%

From notes.

Dark brown with some light around the edges when backlit. Fizzy tan head fades fast. No lacing.

Chocolate syrup and not much else. With a swirl, I get faint booze and a light whiff of base grains.

Better than the nose, but not much. Chocolate syrup and something sorta dark fruity trying to poke through. Way to sweet and chocolate syrupy!

Too much carbonation tingle, medium body, and a bit of viscosity. More warming than I'd expect for its size. Or is that that overly strong carbonation?

I support being creative and experimental. But whose idea was it ot dump a bunch of Hershey's syrup in what may have been a decent beer? Very disappointing. I don't do drain pours, but if I did, I would have. Not at all enthused about finishing this.

01-12-2011 04:36:28 | More by sprucetip
JanM

Sweden

2.63/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured with a very, very dark brown color and little foam. Looking a lot like a Coke with lots of bubbles. There was a strong smell of milk chocolate powder mix and some ashes. Tasting it my first impression was how thin the body was for an English porter, compared to, for instance, the excellent Fuller's London Porter or Young's Double Chocolate. Then came the chocolate notes and, at the end, the ashes. There was also some weird sweet smell/flavour reminding me of the stuff they use for desinfection at hospitals. A grave disappointment considering my previous experience with Phillips beers.

08-14-2007 15:55:01 | More by JanM
DrJay

2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

Clear, dark brown with chestnut highlights. A vigourous pour produced about an inch of fizzy tan foam that fell quickly to a ring. Just a little lacing. Malty aroma with notes of cocoa, roast, burnt, and light caramel. Not bad at all. The flavour is all kinds of wrong, especially compared to the aroma. Fairly sweet with little balancing bitterness, the major flavour component seems to be tart cherries that are dominant from beginning to end. There's not much in the way of chocolate, roast, or malt here, but as it warms these qualities become barely apparent. The body's strange as well, with not much heft up front but a little syrupy in the finish. The carbonation is rough as well, giving it a bit of soda character. What a peculiar beer. I really enjoyed the aroma, which was exactly what I was expecting. The flavour seems like it belongs to a completely different beer. It's not terrible, but not something I'd have again. Thanks wintermute!

12-02-2006 00:29:51 | More by DrJay
chickenm

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a dark brown color with a small tan head that disappeared quickly. A sweet smell of chocolate milk and cocoa dominates. The body of this is way too light for a porter. There is a watery cocoa taste... did not appeal to me at all. Overall this was a disappointment, don't think I'll buy this again.

11-24-2009 02:07:40 | More by chickenm
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

Bottled sample via oakes. Near black in colour with red hints and medium carbonation. Single-minded aroma of chocolate syrup (it REALLY reminds me of Quick). Loads of milk chocolate flavor with a touch of fruit and a finish of roasted nuts and black patent malt. Some sweetness at the start, but the palate gets watery and thin quite quickly... so not much body to speak of. It dries out way too fast as well. Overall, everything starts off well, but the follow-through is weak.

12-30-2006 22:17:10 | More by fisherman34
Viggo

2.85/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Picked up this bomber at the local liquor store.

Pours an opaque brown, red in the edges, decently thick and medium sized tan head forms, quickly settles down to a thin ring, no lacing. Smell is chocolate, nuts, toffee, bready, some light roast, more chocolate milk, reminds me a lot of the Rogue Hazelnut porter. Taste is very thin, some light chocolate roast, caramel, weak coffee, almost nothing there, very bland. Mouthfeel is thin bodied with medium carbonation, doesn't feel very good. Smell was okay but the flavour is very weak and watery, not good.

02-24-2008 02:32:00 | More by Viggo
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottle: Poured a black color ale with a medium head with good retention. Aroma of chocolate is subtler the name of the beer would suggest. Taste is drier then expected (I was expecting more sweet chocolate then anything else). Body is about average but lack the creamy texture that would have made this a great beer. Definitely not one of my favourite, I was expecting more from this brewery I guess.

05-29-2006 18:02:56 | More by Phyl21ca
astout

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

Looks good, opaque and black with a small tan head, disperses slowly leaving small amounts of lacing.

Almost nothing going on here aromatically, some faint roasted notes and an overcooked corn vegetal thing I've gotten on all Phillips beers to some degree. Not disgusting by any means but far from good.

More of the same on the palate, faint roasted notes and a hint of chocolate if that much. Over-cooked veggie thing pops up again for me mid-palate but doesn't dominate the beer like some others. Again not terrible but nothing remarkable either.

Milky and smooth with subtle carbonation makes up for the lack or aromatics and flavour but only to a point.

Thanks to the smooth mouthfeel and overall lack of...well anything noteworthy, this beer is somehow fairly drinkable (at least in so far as I would have no problem finishing off a pint or two), but it definitely wouldn't become my go to at the bar or at home (in fact buying it once is probably enough).

As an aside my review is probably somewhat more to the negative because of these vegetal notes, something that particularly bugs me and may not be noticed by everyone.

09-21-2009 23:04:16 | More by astout
wordemupg

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

650ml bottle poured into pint glass 11/12/11

A dark cola with a short lived dark tan head that leaves no lace

S chocolate milk with some cold coffee and sour fruit

T some more dark malts on top of what I smell, there's something not quite right here, its not offensive but like a weak milk stout that's not grooving with me

M lacking body but has plenty of bubbles, almost a little foamy with a short lived burnt malt aftertaste

O like I said above nothing offensive but nothing special

far below my Phillips standards for sure, pretty average stuff from an above average brewery

11-13-2011 02:23:33 | More by wordemupg
smakawhat

Maryland

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip pint glass.

Deep and classic opaque walnut brown, not a hue or speck of light gets through. Head forms shampoo and soapy tan with shampoo like bubbles at about four fingers tall. Settles to a thick fluffy top but falls quite noticeably. Manages to leave a puck while consuming.

Chocolate malt powdery nose. Dry grainy senses, and soft roasting qualities. A little milky character follows also. Lots of dry cocoa also.

Palate comes with a very wet body even for a porter. Strange tingling front tip tongue sensations almost metal and very tinny, with some weird carbonation. Light wet bodied malt coating in the palate and very fleeting. Milky chocolate disappears quickly while noticeable, on first sips. Some noticeable cola like sweetness though which seems to match a saccharine like quality.

There are some classic porter elements here but they are too weak and not really carrying well. The cocoa addition comes off more as a medicinally sweet addition than adding anything really interesting to the beers profile.

12-28-2013 22:38:04 | More by smakawhat
canucklehead

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

The label promises big chocolate notes and alas what is inside does not deliver . I found this too thin for my tastes and not moca enough. Drinkable but not memorable. Compare to the Spy Porter from Tree and you can see the difference a strong midbody can make in this style.

01-18-2005 04:02:51 | More by canucklehead
liamt07

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottle from IllNate, way back when. 650ml bottle into a pint glass. Thanks Nathan.

Pours a dark brown, couple fingers of tan head. Body is not opaque, some burgundy and ruby red shades come through in better light. Light retention and lace. Cocoa and milk chocolate in the nose, subtle hint of some roast/smoke in the malt. Maybe. Taste wasn't as nice, a watery cocoa flavour was all that I could get. Lacks body and thickness, flavour limited to the mild cocoa and milk chocolate. Mouthfeel needs improving. Higher carbonation than I would've liked, but drinkability was OK.

01-05-2011 00:11:53 | More by liamt07
tbeckett

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottle from Winnipeg MLCC. From notes.

A - Poured black but deep red around the edges. One solid finger of beige head with mild carbonation. No lace and a film of retention.

S - Big chocolate aroma. Milk chocolate, some roast, vanilla. Nice.

T - Less of everything. Sweet grain. Milder chocolate, a little roast. Very plain chocolate flavour as opposed to the milky aroma. Sweet up front, but seemed more like just a sweet wort kinda flavour.

M - Medium creamy body with good carbonation and a roasty bite finish.

O/D - Very underwhelming, especially considering the inviting aroma. Nothing too special going on, and while it held a decent chocolate flavour, it feel short by a fair bit of what it could have done.

10-16-2013 14:16:47 | More by tbeckett
leaddog

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance- Dark cola colour with thin beige head. Opaque and bubbly.

Smell- Milk chocolate with slight caramel aroma.

Taste- Bitter cocoa at first but then goes to the milk chocolate that was detected in the smell. No lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Lighter bodied than expected. Slightly watery. Nice bubbliness.

Overall- A decent chocolate flavoured porter. A little disappointed by the mouthfeel, but the taste is pleasant and the aromas smell delicious.

11-26-2011 04:15:56 | More by leaddog
timtwoface

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

I normally love a good porter or stout, and the idea of chocolate-flavoured beer really appeals to me. And this beer is good, don't get me wrong - but there was something about the very strong hints of chocolate in this one that were almost too much for me. I don't think I have much of a sweet tooth when it comes to my beers, so sadly this one wasn't a favourite: very delicious, but I can't drink 650mL of this one in one sitting and enjoy it to the fullest extent which I should be able to.

11-06-2011 22:36:39 | More by timtwoface
msubulldog25

Oregon

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

A remnant from an August 2007 visit to BC; tasted early Feb 2008, in a pint glass from a 650mL (22 oz) bottle. Notched at: '3', 'O[ctober]'...is that 'best by' or 'brewed on'? This is either 3 months past its 'best by' date or 15 months past the 'brewed on' date...it's been stored in a cool, dark cellar since August.

A: Pours jet black with a head that crests just above 1-finger. Head is light tan, foamy at first, and drops to a creamy and lightly bubbly film. Bits of film cling on the glass.

S: Aroma is purely chocolate syrup, a sweet/fudgy aroma. Nothing else...

T: Light cocoa powder with a roasty malt that hints at nuts, but tastes decidedly of milk chocolate. A little lactic souring and some hop bittering, enough to balance things out.

M: Has an oddly clean and light, yet cool, mouthfeel; however, wateriness soon follows. A bit of carbonated crispness, but still a light body. It's a thin finish, not unlikable but certainly weak for the style.

D: Easy enough to drink; at barely 5%, I could see having a couple of these at a sitting. Flavor is decently chocolately, yet light and (modestly) refreshing.

02-03-2008 03:25:33 | More by msubulldog25
josiahschlender

Oregon

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Picked this up when on a trip to Victoria and heard good things about the brewery from locals.

Pours into a pint glass very dark brown, almost black with a quickly fizzing khaki head that holds a thin ring and leaves a couple splotches of lace.

Aromas are sweet and chocolatey. Not quite milk chocolate, but not yet the ultra dark stuff. As it warms, I note more dark roasted malts, a bit of brewed coffee and maybe even a bit of earthy hops, but nothing very intense.

Taste has quite a bit of chocolate again, playing off of somewhat rough dark roasted malts. Not much sweetness, more of the burnt flavors, plus more of the bittering hops than I expect. After having a handful of weakly hopped Victoria beers, this one is a surprise to me, especially in a way that doesn't end up complimenting the beer very well, in my opinion.

Body is pretty thin, medium lasting finish... nothing about this beer is very exceptional, except the price I paid for it. Beer in general is much more expensive in Canada, and I'd rather have spent the money on a world class Rogue or Stone.

09-15-2009 06:25:50 | More by josiahschlender
souvenirs

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

A: impenetrable black with an inch or so of mocha head.
S: dark, grainy, and a bit sweet.
T: bitter dark roast coffee / cocoa flavour. almost burnt. this one doesn't taste as sweet to me as others have said it does.
F: smooth, with minimal carbonation.

I don't love it and I don't hate it. I don't regret trying it, but I probably won't get it again.

01-16-2014 03:32:16 | More by souvenirs
elricorico

3.45/5  rDev -7%

Pours dark brown like root beer, the edges are see through. A thin tan head to start that falls to a ring within a minute.

The smell is a battle between milk chocolate and porter sourness. I find it to be a bit strange. I also get a bit of vanilla in the aroma.

The taste comes in as a mix of chocolate milk and coffee. Quite rich and smooth tasting. There is a faint roasted malt flavour in the finish. Hops are not notable. Lingering in the back of the mouth is a bit of smokiness. I'd say it is a decent taste, but falls short of greatness overall.

Mouthfeel is good for a porter. A bit of body and light carbonation. Could be thicker, but not by much.

When I see the word's "Double Chocolate" I can't help but get excited. This isn't bad, but it is no competition for Young's.

05-10-2006 01:46:21 | More by elricorico
biboergosum

3.45/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed a bomber of this at a little (are there any other kind) liquor store last summer in Radium, BC. It was by far the only interesting thing beer-wise there, the sales clerk remarking that it was 'brand new'. After putting back the Nelson and Revelstoke pints with my girl on the patio at the Horsethief Creek pub, I relegated this to the trunk of my car. Now that the weather is more appropriate, I thought I'd polish it off tonight for dessert.

This beer pours a deep reddish highlight-tinged cola brown hue, with a three-fingered puffy, sadly foamy tan head, which melts away fairly lazily, leaving some decent stringy cloud lace around the glass as it duly recedes.

It smells predominantly of bitter, chalky cocoa - both of the dark and convenience-store milk varieties, hints of cold, morning-after coffee, and some indistinct fruity sourness. The taste is still rather sour, in an equally lactic and fruity sense, with the bittersweet chocolate essence taking a bit of a backseat, and the dry coffee notes ambling on in their own stumbling way.

The carbonation seems a little bit heavier than it actually is, the pricks not as strong as initially inferred, the body much lighter and thin that I might have expected from something with 'Double Chocolate' so front and center in the name. It finishes with a subtle vinous quality (perhaps influenced by memories of the trip where I procured this offering), and a fair bit more understated chocolate, natch.

This was a fairly easy drinker, but not nearly as full or intensely flavoured as I was anticipating - my recent, if a tad unfair, comparison being Rogue's Chocolate Stout. Somewhat underwhelming, also, after my initial exposure to Phillips' admittedly hop-forward brews.

12-09-2007 09:09:00 | More by biboergosum
Sammy

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

Very black with fluffy soapy head and soft lace. Medium sweet chocolate and malt aroma. Much too overcarbonated with fizzy carbonation medium at best mouthfeel. Certainly chocolately but drying finish. Chocolate aftertaste. I think better if on cask. At Volo.

12-24-2007 20:07:32 | More by Sammy
grub

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%

got this bottle in a trade with stephenlouis. thanks stephen!

pours a deep brown colour with a thin head that disappears almost instantly.

aroma is nice. dominated by a slightly sweet milk chocolate aroma. hint of roasty malt.

taste is nice. mildly sweet milk chocolate. just a little roast. as it warms it comes through a little more bittersweet. fresh from the bottle it doesn't taste like a porter and it's mostly just chocolate, but as it warms a little the porter comes through.

mouthfeel is good. body is about right, but the carbonation is fairly low.

drinkability is good. nice, smooth, easy drinking beer that i'd love to have available locally.

09-26-2006 01:25:35 | More by grub
joemcgrath27

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

doesn't say "double", but definitely the same beer
A - almost black, shiny mocha head that dissipated to a half finger and hung around a while
S - very leafy and chocolaty, with a very buttery sweet corn malt kind of odour
T - the semi-sweet bakers chocolate is uncanny, some coffee malt, a strong buttery popcorn quality, with chocolate malt throughout
M - well carbonated and thin smooth, finishing sweet and slightly dry
D - the chocolate aspect is delicious, but the corn like taste is always there which takes away from the porter flavours I am looking for, but still very tasty and drinkable

02-05-2011 04:26:01 | More by joemcgrath27
TheSevenDuffs

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap @ Garrick's Head.

A - Very dark brown with a thin layer of dirty brown head

S - Huge sweet milk chocolate aroma with some roast. The chocolate sweetness is almost Nesquick like.

T - Very sweet. Milk chocolate and a big nutty characteristic. Some roast.

M - Light to medium body. Creamy. Light carbonation.

03-15-2013 03:20:49 | More by TheSevenDuffs