1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Longboat Chocolate Porter - Phillips Brewing Company

Longboat Chocolate PorterLongboat Chocolate Porter

good

Phillips Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

English Porter |  5.20% ABV

Classic Pairings in History: Stevie Wonder & Paul McCartney Super Dave Osborne & Mr. Fuji Cheddar cheese & pickles Bob & Doug McKenzie Mork & Mindy Bonnie & Clyde Chocolate & Beer!!! We'd say that Longboat is a classic chocolate porter, but lets face it, who's ever heard of a chocolate porter? It is, however, a rich dark ale, with a distinctive chocolate finish. Comes in a 650mL bottle, cause 341mL just isn't enough!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-17-2004)
View: Beers (60) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 98 | Reviews: 48 | Show All Ratings:
DaftCaskBC

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

A: 3/4" mocha coloured head that left nice lacing over extremely dark brown liquid.

S: cocoa and some malt.

T: dark chocolate mostly with some malt. Bitter finish.

M: Very thin and a low level of medium carbonation.

O: Good smell and taste, but could have a better mouth feel.

07-11-2011 04:40:40 | More by DaftCaskBC
sprucetip

Alaska

1.63/5  rDev -56.1%

From notes.

Dark brown with some light around the edges when backlit. Fizzy tan head fades fast. No lacing.

Chocolate syrup and not much else. With a swirl, I get faint booze and a light whiff of base grains.

Better than the nose, but not much. Chocolate syrup and something sorta dark fruity trying to poke through. Way to sweet and chocolate syrupy!

Too much carbonation tingle, medium body, and a bit of viscosity. More warming than I'd expect for its size. Or is that that overly strong carbonation?

I support being creative and experimental. But whose idea was it ot dump a bunch of Hershey's syrup in what may have been a decent beer? Very disappointing. I don't do drain pours, but if I did, I would have. Not at all enthused about finishing this.

01-12-2011 04:36:28 | More by sprucetip
shivtim

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

A very good porter. Tried this one at the Alibi Room in Vancouver.
Looks good in the glass. very dark brown with ruby highlights. Off-white small head.
Nose is strong baking chocolate and bitter dark malts.
Taste is heavy dark chocolate, iced coffee. Nice combo of flavors. Not too sweet. Gentle creaminess.
Mouthfeel is wonderfully full and milky. Great brew.

07-15-2009 13:26:32 | More by shivtim
leaddog

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance- Dark cola colour with thin beige head. Opaque and bubbly.

Smell- Milk chocolate with slight caramel aroma.

Taste- Bitter cocoa at first but then goes to the milk chocolate that was detected in the smell. No lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Lighter bodied than expected. Slightly watery. Nice bubbliness.

Overall- A decent chocolate flavoured porter. A little disappointed by the mouthfeel, but the taste is pleasant and the aromas smell delicious.

11-26-2011 04:15:56 | More by leaddog
Citadel82

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Picked this up in the BC liquor store in Vancouver and Enjoyed it in my snug and cozy cabin on the Seven Seas Mariner. What a delightfult rich and roasty treat to enjoy with salt tang wafting in fro our cabins balcony as the grandeur of the Pacific Northwest unfolded. Like the Inner Passage this brew is vast in scope and timeless in character.

Pours Opaque deep brown with a frothy, sticky, light brown head.
Aromas of chocolate, espresso mingle with wine and ripe fruit. Taste is complex blend of cocoa, charcoal, winey notes and hints of bready and sweet malts, Mouthfeel is rich and slick with some fine effervessence. This is an incredibly drinkable brew that left you longing for more...It was a long swim to shore but I did think about stealing a Tender...

08-07-2006 20:18:49 | More by Citadel82
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

Serving size is a 650ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

Longboat is dark black and opaque. The head is dark beige/light brown about one and a half fingers high. There isn't much head retention though.

The chocolate smell is right up front. Reminds me of luscious dark chocolate that you only treat yourself to at Christmas. Very sweet, but teasing a little malt and bitterness.

True to the scent, this is dark chocolate in flavour. Quite sweet for a porter, but bitter for chocolate. At the swallow the taste is all chocolate, but as it mellows to the aftertaste a burnt flavour joins the chocolate as they both mellow from the palate. A coffee flavour develops as you progress through the drink. This is probably due to the warming. At the end it reminds me of eating chocolate covered espresso beans.

Slightly carbonated, the mouthfeel is well balanced and even. Perhaps a little thin compared to other porters I've tried.

This reminds me of a dessert wine. Something that is nice once in a while, but that you couldn't drink all night long. However, this brew I would like to have on a regular basis.

All in all, this isn't really that much like a porter. So if that's what you're looking for, this is the wrong place. The brewer's intent was obviously to be strong on chocolate (in the name it does say "Double Chocolate Porter") and I think in that respect they've created a fantastic beer.

06-06-2005 00:48:24 | More by Noxious26
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

Bottled sample via oakes. Near black in colour with red hints and medium carbonation. Single-minded aroma of chocolate syrup (it REALLY reminds me of Quick). Loads of milk chocolate flavor with a touch of fruit and a finish of roasted nuts and black patent malt. Some sweetness at the start, but the palate gets watery and thin quite quickly... so not much body to speak of. It dries out way too fast as well. Overall, everything starts off well, but the follow-through is weak.

12-30-2006 22:17:10 | More by fisherman34
LampertLand

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Phillip's Brewing 'Longboat Chocolate Porter' @ 5.2% served fresh from a growler purchased for $10 , or try a Govt Liquor Store , 650 ml bottles for $5

A - pours is a lovely dark chocolate brown from the growler to glass with a creamy tan head leaving a streaky lace along the pint

S - sweet chocolate , dark malts , cocoa

T - so smooth and creamy , pleasant but is not over powering sweet , there's just a hint of bitterness like bakers chocolate at the end of the swallow

MF - ok/good carbonation , medium body , real easy drinking beer

Ov - what can I say this is the house favourite , Mom & Sis enjoy it and ask me to pick some up whenever I visit the jar store's , most refills on my growler list , a little bit harder to find on tap sometimes , a good beer anytime and possibly anywhere

prost LampertLand

12-31-2013 07:44:07 | More by LampertLand
Graham5161986

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer pours a dark black/brown with a very light, cream coloured head that doesn;t last very long leaving not too much in terms of lacing. Smell is of rich, creamy milk chocolate with hits of coffee and caramel to boot. Taste is very chocolatey up front with some nice roastiness in the background and on the finish. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and creamy with a light touch of crisp carbonation to help cleanse the palate. I love this beer - I've had it many times before and will continue to to enjoy it. It's so easy to drink and always provides for a soothign chocolatey experience. Try it with some grilled steak - you won't regret it!

07-28-2009 17:25:46 | More by Graham5161986
JanM

Sweden

2.63/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured with a very, very dark brown color and little foam. Looking a lot like a Coke with lots of bubbles. There was a strong smell of milk chocolate powder mix and some ashes. Tasting it my first impression was how thin the body was for an English porter, compared to, for instance, the excellent Fuller's London Porter or Young's Double Chocolate. Then came the chocolate notes and, at the end, the ashes. There was also some weird sweet smell/flavour reminding me of the stuff they use for desinfection at hospitals. A grave disappointment considering my previous experience with Phillips beers.

08-14-2007 15:55:01 | More by JanM
josiahschlender

Oregon

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Picked this up when on a trip to Victoria and heard good things about the brewery from locals.

Pours into a pint glass very dark brown, almost black with a quickly fizzing khaki head that holds a thin ring and leaves a couple splotches of lace.

Aromas are sweet and chocolatey. Not quite milk chocolate, but not yet the ultra dark stuff. As it warms, I note more dark roasted malts, a bit of brewed coffee and maybe even a bit of earthy hops, but nothing very intense.

Taste has quite a bit of chocolate again, playing off of somewhat rough dark roasted malts. Not much sweetness, more of the burnt flavors, plus more of the bittering hops than I expect. After having a handful of weakly hopped Victoria beers, this one is a surprise to me, especially in a way that doesn't end up complimenting the beer very well, in my opinion.

Body is pretty thin, medium lasting finish... nothing about this beer is very exceptional, except the price I paid for it. Beer in general is much more expensive in Canada, and I'd rather have spent the money on a world class Rogue or Stone.

09-15-2009 06:25:50 | More by josiahschlender
chickenm

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a dark brown color with a small tan head that disappeared quickly. A sweet smell of chocolate milk and cocoa dominates. The body of this is way too light for a porter. There is a watery cocoa taste... did not appeal to me at all. Overall this was a disappointment, don't think I'll buy this again.

11-24-2009 02:07:40 | More by chickenm
Garin

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%

I believe Phillips has been tinkering with this recipe, as my latest sample is far better than my first taste around Christmas time.

It pours a deep chocolatey brown -- not quite black, but close. A decent fluffy head forms and stay for a bit. Not much lacing is left on my glass, but a good looking beer nonetheless.

The aroma is deep chocolate with a slightly roasty edge to it. The flavour is similar: layered chocolate and roastiness, with a nutty woodiness underneath. Very little hops character is detectable. It is slightly sweet, but this doesn't impair its drinkability to me. For a "double chocolate" beer, I expect some sweetness and lots of chocolate -- and here it is.

The mouthfeel is light enough to avoid being cloying, but smooth enough to feel creamy.

All in all, this is pretty much exactly what I expected to drink. Well done Phillips.

06-13-2005 19:24:18 | More by Garin
Orrshow

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance – Near black with a dark brown hue to it. Light tan head dissipates to a ring quickly. There is some lacing but not much.

Smell – Up front this beer is dominated by chocolate. There is a hint of roasted malt as well and what seems to be vanilla. I also detect a bit of hops, nothing citrus or floral though. Not bad but its missing something.

Taste – Again the first impression is chocolaty. Cocoa is there along with baking chocolate which soon turns over the taste of smooth milk chocolate. There is also a bit of mocha flavor present. Very nice. I like the sweet maltiness of this one a lot.

Mouthfeel – Carbonation is fine. Toned down how I like it. Body was slightly lacking though…a little thin.

Drinkability – No complaints here. This thing is fairly easy to drink.

I think with a few adjustments this could be outstanding. A good first impression of Phillips. Cheers to elricorico for the bottle.

05-06-2006 17:03:17 | More by Orrshow
timtwoface

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

I normally love a good porter or stout, and the idea of chocolate-flavoured beer really appeals to me. And this beer is good, don't get me wrong - but there was something about the very strong hints of chocolate in this one that were almost too much for me. I don't think I have much of a sweet tooth when it comes to my beers, so sadly this one wasn't a favourite: very delicious, but I can't drink 650mL of this one in one sitting and enjoy it to the fullest extent which I should be able to.

11-06-2011 22:36:39 | More by timtwoface
Knuckles

Washington

1.2/5  rDev -67.7%

When I was a kid, I once touched a hot iron. My mom saw me eyeing the iron and said, "Don't touch it, it's hot." Well no shit, mom. I KNOW it's hot. What I don't know is just how hot it is. So, I touched the iron and learned a very valuable lesson: hot irons really ARE hot, just like mom says. (I then went and watched "Son of Godzilla", and learned that if you have giant preying mantises on an island, big ass lizards are the way to go. I also learned that thermonuclear bombs make the giant preying mantises even bigger, but don't seem to do a damn thing to the giant lizards. It was a lesson-filled day.). Anyway, this beer is somewhat like that iron.

I have had, over the years, four or five different beers from Phillips Brewing and I haven't cared for any of them. However, I keep going back to touch the iron, hoping I was wrong all those other times I got burned. Well, I am once again wrong, and now refuse to go back to the iron. If someone wants to hand me a bottle of Amnesia, I'll give it a shot. But I'm sure as hell not going to buy the damn thing. Even this dumbass can get burned one time too many.

The theme of today's review is: Flat, watery, maraschino cherry syrup laden cola.

Appearance: Again with the "when I was a kid" crap. When I was a kid, every time we would go to a Chinese restaurant I would order a Shirley Temple and my brother would order a Roy Rogers (to compound my faux pas, I would also order a hamburger, as my only frame of reference for Chinese food was the La Choy swill my mom would foist on us twice a month). We had no idea who Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers were at the time, we just knew that we were either getting Sprite or Coke with an assload of maraschino cherry syrup added to it. This thing looks like a Roy Rogers that has had all the ice melt. Dark red and watery, and nothing like a porter at all.

Smell: I might smell chocolate, but really it just smells sweet. Not malt sweet, like "Hey, this is a malty beer" but syrupy sweet as in "Ok, who's the jackass that dumped their chocolate syrup in my beer?"

Taste: There is nothing even remotely resembling a porter in this taste. It's all syrupy sweet and then a hint of semi-dark chocolate. It really does taste like a flat Roy Rogers, or a flat chocolate Coke (which, I'm sorry to say, is one of the nastiest creations - the soda, not the beer - I've ever had the misfortune to taste). Even my eight year old doesn't like this beer, and he's a sugar junkie like any other kid his age. (In his words: "tastes like really bad chocolate with no taste." No, I haven't the faintest idea what he means.)

Mouthfeel: Again, yet another watery soda comparison. Very thin, very watery. I want a porter to have some presence in my mouth, and this one simply doesn't. This has all the mouthfeel magic of orange Gatorade, without the electrolyte boost.

Drinkability: Sorry, can't do it, and won't recommend it. I won't be able to finish this bomber. It truly is a drain pour.

The label reads as follows: "Big and rich, this London style porter is charged with chocolate to give a distinctive finish."

1) This is London-style like I'm a big band leader. It may want to be, but only in its dreams.

2) Yes, it's charged with chocolate and yes, it has a distinctive finish. However, neither element is really a positive. If you're going to make a chocolate porter, I would suggest going for a REAL London style, one that has a dry, roasty, almost smoky finish (you know, coke fired malts and the like), and then use some nice, dry baker's chocolate to give you that dry, chocolatey finish you are purportedly going for. Because if that is precisely what was being aimed for, this beer fails miserably.

08-27-2005 03:37:51 | More by Knuckles
souvenirs

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

A: impenetrable black with an inch or so of mocha head.
S: dark, grainy, and a bit sweet.
T: bitter dark roast coffee / cocoa flavour. almost burnt. this one doesn't taste as sweet to me as others have said it does.
F: smooth, with minimal carbonation.

I don't love it and I don't hate it. I don't regret trying it, but I probably won't get it again.

01-16-2014 03:32:16 | More by souvenirs
Scrylol

4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours a nice dark murky brown color, almost completely black. One finger beige colored head that sticks around, a bit of lacing on the side.

Plenty of milk chocolate notes followed by a slight hint of coffee. Can smell a bit of malt backbone in there.

Immediately there is plenty of milk chocolate taste mixed with a slight hint of coffee and cocoa. A bit sweet. Very little bitterness, and a nice solid malty backbone to it. Leaves a dry, slightly lingering taste of dark chocolate.

Appropriate amount of carbonation on the tongue, just enough to tickle the tongue. A bit of a thick mouthfeel to it, pairs greatly with the style. Goes down smooth and easy.

A very good chocolate porter by Phillips Brewing. This was a pleasant surprise.

09-23-2012 04:36:29 | More by Scrylol
Muhly

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

650 mL bottle poured into the beery beer glass.

A-pours a dark brown with about 1/2 finger of tan/brown head.

S-lots of chocolate with a touch of dark malts.

T-tons of cocoa and chocolate. Get some dark malt sweetness as well. Just a hint of hop bitterness finishing it off. Very clean beer accentuating the chocolate.

M-creamy with minimal carbonation. Very smooth.

O-a very enjoyable beer paired it with some amazing taco goodness from Tres Carnales in Edmonton. It is a bit one note with the chocolate and I don't know that I'll seek it out again unless I'm in the mood for something so chocolatey.

01-26-2013 06:18:17 | More by Muhly
astout

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

Looks good, opaque and black with a small tan head, disperses slowly leaving small amounts of lacing.

Almost nothing going on here aromatically, some faint roasted notes and an overcooked corn vegetal thing I've gotten on all Phillips beers to some degree. Not disgusting by any means but far from good.

More of the same on the palate, faint roasted notes and a hint of chocolate if that much. Over-cooked veggie thing pops up again for me mid-palate but doesn't dominate the beer like some others. Again not terrible but nothing remarkable either.

Milky and smooth with subtle carbonation makes up for the lack or aromatics and flavour but only to a point.

Thanks to the smooth mouthfeel and overall lack of...well anything noteworthy, this beer is somehow fairly drinkable (at least in so far as I would have no problem finishing off a pint or two), but it definitely wouldn't become my go to at the bar or at home (in fact buying it once is probably enough).

As an aside my review is probably somewhat more to the negative because of these vegetal notes, something that particularly bugs me and may not be noticed by everyone.

09-21-2009 23:04:16 | More by astout
brewymcgee

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Blackish brown with only a hint of tan head around the edges of the glass

Aroma: Chocolate with coffee in the background

Taste: Dark chocolate and coffee again, with a hint of sourness balancing the sweetness. I pick up nice pipe tobacco flavours on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth medium body with a nice light bubbly tingle.

Drinkability: Very good. I would usually associate these flavours with richer beers but this is still enjoyable. Excellent for sipping after a meal, especially if you wanted something sweet but not too rich (say, summer patio sunset dessert?)

05-20-2011 04:52:43 | More by brewymcgee
RooferOnFire

4.34/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

What's On The Cover- Phillips makes some creative brews, so the recycled paper label goes with it. It doesn't seem to have the usual tale on the side, but I'm thinking The Raven plays in. No surprise in the fact that browns dominate. This is 5.0%abv, poured out of a 341ml bottle into a tasting glass and narrow beer mug.

Appearance (what's inside) - carbonation cascading upward into a generous, lasting, brown, creamy, head, with slight lacing. Fades into a quarter to half inch of root beer foam. Extremely dark brown.

Smell - Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, roasted coffee and grain malt (think Pero). Very inviting. Possibly the best aroma of any commercially-produced chocolate porter.

Taste- Milk chocolate, black Lindor, mocha, very clean. almost too clean initially. 15-20 second dark mocha aftertaste. I expected bigger, given the aroma and moniker, but it is well above average.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Almost no carbonation hits the back of your throat. You'll probably still want to have a glass of water or side of vanilla bean ice cream afterward. (Actually, that's a great idea!)

This is a great effort for a Canadian Chocolate Porter, and it may set the benchmark for the Pacific Northwest. Despite it's shortcomings, it is a great beer that will make you feel nice. It's qualities almost lend itself to the bizarre idea of a beer float. This is not as heavy as many porters, but is still what I'd consider a dessert beer.

Definitely a decent effort by Phllips and deserving of the price point, particularly considering others in its class. May rival some of the better English brands. Even if you're not a fan of the style, its aroma will invite you in for a beer or ten and you'll be dutifully punished in the morning.

03-25-2013 05:27:50 | More by RooferOnFire
LadyBastet27

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

I haven't had many porters (yet) as I have found them too strong/unpalatable...however, I was feeling daring and picked this one up as I like Phillips Brewery very much. Poured thick and black with a creamy, tan head. Lovely aroma of chocolate sweetness. Not too heavy with a medium body. Strong taste of chocolate (a bit artificial, but whatever) throughout and a smooth, satisfying finish. If you see this in your local liquor store, pick one up, even if you don't typically drink porters. You'll thank me:)

05-13-2010 05:04:22 | More by LadyBastet27