Ginger Beer - Phillips Brewing Company

Ginger BeerGinger Beer

Phillips Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

With more ginger than Gilligan can handle, some might be surprised at the instant blast of flavour and aroma from this true ginger beer, but that doesn't take away from its sheer quaffability.

(Beer added by: BDTyre on 03-01-2011)
Reviews by thehyperduck:

Bomber from the LCBO; best before August 2012. I like Vernors, so maybe I'll be a big fan of this? Still, I never like it when these spiced type beers go overboard...

Pours an attractive honey-amber hue, with one finger of fizzy white head that fizzles itself away right before my eyes. A wispy cap remains on the surface, and a thin collar around the edge. Not the most impressive-looking thing I've ever seen - but I am a big fan of the aroma. Biscuity ginger snaps come to mind, alongside some tangerine and earthy, herbal hops. Spicy and sweet without going too crazy.

Pretty tasty stuff, with a predictably intense, spicy presence. Bready, biscuity malt with a light honey sweetness provide a bit of a backbone at first, but the finish and aftertaste is like being walloped with some sort of container full of ginger - but a manageable one: say, a purse full of it, rather than a full-fledged sack. It can catch you off-guard, sure, but no real harm is done. Herbal dryness balances the malts, but everything takes a back seat to the ginger. Spicy aftertaste, with some underlying sweetness that once again reminds me of ginger snaps. Light-bodied, kind of watery, but so crisp and spicy that a hot night like this is probably the best time to be drinking it. If only I had some sushi!

This beer definitely comes as advertised, because there's plenty of freshly-cut ginger flavour to it. This is a spice beer done properly - it doesn't skimp, but it doesn't get completely outlandish either. It's certainly better and bolder than, say, Crabbie's. With spiced beers, grades are always influenced by how palatable the reviewer happens to find that particular spice. Anyone reading this should know that I like ginger - in my tea, in my soft drinks, and now even in my beer - on occasion. This is a perfect seasonal to bring into the LCBO, mostly because I can't imagine finding it nearly as enjoyable at any other time of year.

Final Grade: 4.0, just barely scratching out an A-. If you have no use for ginger, this won't be worth the money. But if you're like me, you'll find Phillips' Ginger Beer to be an exceedingly drinkable, and very unique brew well worth the effort of seeking out. Given my partiality to ginger, it should come as no surprise that I think this is one of the best spiced beers I've had in a long while, and I'd easily recommend it to anyone without a seething hatred for the spice.

3.2/5  rDev -7%

Bomber from the LCBO, part of the 2012 summer release. I haven't had anything from Phillips since I was last in BC, and I remember they were one of my gateway craft brews - good to see them again!

Poured into a nonic. Slightly hazy amber-golden brew with a rich creamy head that will never let you down or desert you. Sticky lace. Nice looking brew indeed.

For most of my life, the only ginger I ever encountered was in Canada Dry, so I often forget just how potent and spicy the real stuff can be. This brew serves as an excellent reminder of this fact. Smells like fresh ginger root and perhaps a touch of hops and pale malts, but really ginger is the star of the show.

Well, this brew certainly delivers what it promises - ginger by the bucketful. I was concerned that this brew would prove to be too spicy for my tastes, and I was right - I'm getting a bit of heartburn and my lips have a constant spicy burn. It certainly tastes like a ginger beer. But the "turn it up to eleven" mentality of this brew just makes it difficult to drink. Might be nice to share a bottle with friends over a platter of sushi, but I really can't see me getting this again, let alone finishing the bottle. A bomber is a bit ridiculous, actually, unless the intent was to share it.

I've had brews infused with ginger that I've enjoyed, because they played the ginger card sparingly, opting for subtlety. This brew takes the ginger to its logical conclusion which is to an overly spicy tangy destination I don't really care for. I have to mark low for beers that I can't finish, and this is one of them.

3.95/5  rDev +14.8%

650ml bottle, shared with my better half at a fine park on Bellingham Bay.

This beer pours a clear medium copper amber hue, with two fingers of puffy, tightly foamy, and somewhat creamy off-white head, which leaves a spotty wall of lace around the glass as it evenly recedes.

It smells at first whiff of a sightlier more zingy version of Canada Dry ginger ale, but once I get acclimated, the fresh ginger, bready malt, and soft, clove-like spice are borne out. The taste is more peppy ginger root (like the mildly pickled stuff you get with sushi), a solid crackery bready malt, and noticeably bitter earthy, floral hops.

The carbonation is middle to low in strength, the body a decently innocuous medium weight, and more or less smooth, all over a slight spicy edginess. It finishes with a step up in the bitterness, hops and ginger ganging up on the once equally-footed malt.

Overall, an enjoyable, well rounded ginger beer - and while the guest spice plays it nice, it doesn't lack for presence, either, and works well with the other resident flavours. I can duly imagine enjoying one of these with some spicy maki in an overpriced Lotusland sushi joint.

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

lcbo bottle. Pours thickish medium yellow. Big spicy ginger, and that's it.One dimensional, better than the sweet soda versions. Medium mouthfeel. Decent drinkability. Not something worth more than a glass.So a bomber is a lot. Better on a hot day, fising by the lake.

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

A - clear golden with a light orange tint, thumb of white head retained at a decent covering from a constant stream of bubbles
S - sweet spicy ginger, grainy, some herbal earthy aromas
T - a bright blast of fresh ginger, biscuity malt, a pleasant sweetness with a herbal hop finish
M - light and very refreshing, spice tickle through the back of the throat, slightly dry
O - the ginger flavour is fresh and prominent but well balanced, a very nice example of an under appreciated style

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a yellow color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma consists of ginger is quite powerful and dominate most other ingredient. Taste is dominated by a ginger burn with a lightly sweet malt base. Body is about average with good carbonation. Ginger burn is too hot for my taste and almost no floral notes can be distinguished from this overpowering ingredient.

2.48/5  rDev -27.9%

Bomber to pint glass. Fresh bottle.

A - Pale straw yellow. A small layer of off-white head.

S - A big hit of ginger up front with some bready malts and a touch of hop bitterness evident in the background.

T - Massive ginger to the point that it is hard to tell that this is even beer. A slight breadiness is present in the background when you search for it. Way over the top with ginger.

M - Light body. Moderate carbonation.

O - Ended up drain pouring 90% of this one. If I had a cold, this would be a great beer but the ginger is too strong.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.68/5  rDev +7%

From a 650 ml brown bottle. Pours out a slightly hazed light amber hue, tight frothy white head.

The aroma starts with a hit of both earthy, spicy ginger and some sweet candied ginger. Faint bready malt behind it all.

Grainy malt up front that also carries a biscuity snap, while earthy ginger dominates the middle and finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty solid for any style of beer, medium-bodied with silky and well-attenuated texture that gives it a fuller feel, finishing with a brisk zip of moderate carbonation.

This ale certainly delivers the goods when it comes to ginger, and there isn't any off-flavours, however I think I hit my limit after about half a bottle. While it's good for what it is, there isn't much dimension after a certain point, and I suppose I lost interest after a while. Still enjoyable though, I'll probably get more to share, and also to pair with food.

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottle from the LCBO, 650ml into a tulip. Best before August 2013.

Hazy dark orange, with a white head of good density. Nose has a lot of spice, sushi ginger, light sweet bready malt. Tastes of ginger ale, with a spiciness that cuts the high carbonation almost as soon as it appears. Fizzling feel, with a long lingering ginger spice. High carbonation, medium light feel. Not really for anyone that doesn't dig ginger, as it is immensely pronounced here.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

3.54/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured a golden colour with only a slight head. The ginger comes out and hits you in nose. The taste is what you would expect of a ginger beer, slightly citrus with some spice and mildly malty. Actually did not mind this beer even though I'm not usually a ginger beer fan

Ginger Beer from Phillips Brewing Company