Second Anniversary Ale - Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Hardywood Park Craft Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

Tripel |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mattyb79 on 11-13-2013

When presented with a rare opportunity to obtain some freshly emptied tequila barrels, head brewer Brian Nelson acted quickly, identifying them as the perfect vessel for aging Super Singel, our Belgian Abbey-style tripel. The beer’s subtle tropical fruit aromatics harmonize unsuspectingly with a mellow briny character imparted by the tequila barrels. The result is one of the most unique beers we’ve ever tasted.
3.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pretty sure got this one from olavzisper, enjoyed from a hardywood GBS glass.

a - brew pours a murky rusty coppery yellow with a generous white foamy head that hung out for a while and left big lace on the glass. Tons of visible carbonation could be seen racing to the surface of the glass.

s - nose is as advertised, Belgian tripel dancing with tequila. Surprisingly, the scents actually meld together quite nicely giving a boozy sharp sweet n sourness. Lots of lemon...comes across as a sour almost.

t - once again, Belgian tripel mixed with tequila but this time the tequila steps a bit more into the fore front and as an admitted not huge fan of tequila I don't love it, but it certainly is interesting in a good way. The booziness is a bit overpowering for me as one who doesn't choose tequila as my booze of choice. Tequila is a bit overbearing and overrides any action from the tripel on my taste buds...but tastes like a nice tequila. Once I got used to the booziness I was able to pick out the sweet American tripel underneath. Mostly candy like but not overly so.

m - a bit fizzy and prickly and has a sharp booziness to it.

o - overall I was a bit scared of this one, but am happy to say that it exceeded my expectations...albeit low expectations. Certainly not something I would seek out, but for the tequila drinker this is one of the better tequila aged brews I have tried. I still don't think tequila mixes great with beer, but this one opens up my mind a bit more to the possibility. A better name for this one would've been sweet n sour since that really seems to describe this.

Second Anniversary Ale from Hardywood Park Craft Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.