Gingerbread Stout - Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Virginia, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: TechTriumph on 12-08-2011

Brewed with baby ginger from Casselmonte Farm and wildflower honey from Bearer Farms, Hardywood Gingerbread Stout captures the terroir of central Virginia in a rich, creamy libation with a velvety mouthfeel and an intriguing evolution of flavors from milk chocolate and vanilla to honeycomb and cinnamon to a snap of ginger in the finish.

Deep, dark chocolate in color with a mahogany tint and a frothy, caramel colored head, Hardywood Gingerbread Stout offers aromatics of holiday spice originating from the ginger, and balanced with a generous dose of whole Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans and Vietnamese cinnamon. Milk sugar (lactose) contributes to the full body of this stout and tames its roasty character, while oats lend a silky quality. Enjoy fresh, or cellar for a special occasion. We hope Hardywood Gingerbread Stout contributes to your merriment this season.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gingerbread Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,078 | Reviews: 160

A - Pours black with a thick head that settles pretty quickly.
S - Aroma is of spices, you know this not your typical milk stout.
T - Flavor matches the aroma. Balanced flavors of cinnamon, vanilla, ginger with a little alcohol bite on the finish.
M - The only way I can describe the mouth feel is creamy.
O - This beer is special and certainly deserves the high rating. Stouts are my favorite style and this beer really brings something new to the table. I need to get another bottle, or maybe a case.

Their first year was the best. Second year it went down a little bit (probably due to increased brewing capacity). Third year it is back on top! Simply delicious, creamy, lots of ginger bread flavor.

This was a perfect beer....tasted a bit more like dark coffee beer but the ginger flavor comes in as an aftertaste....the flavor really grows.

Ben Franklin said God created beer because He wanted people to be happy.

God was on His game when He created this beer ...

Perfection on every level. Tastes of the best gingerbread you've ever eaten.
Pour it over some great vanilla ice cream and cry tears of joy.

Yes ... it IS that good.

Seek it out. Drink. Swoon, and thank Him (And the great folks at Hardywood!)

This beer is amazing. My only complaint is that it is so hard to get. Also if I could rate the smell above a 5 I would I literally keep smelling the empty glass after it's gone. Amazing.

The bottle says it all "Freagin Christmas in a bottle"
Perfect for cold nights and a warm fire

4.96/5  rDev +15.1%

One of the best gingerbread beers I ever had. Try going 70/30 mix on this with Bourbon County stout. Awesomeness.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

THIS. THIS. THIS.

The lactose sugars and rich chocolatey, coffee malt characteristics provide an incredibly smooth, velvety base for the vanilla, toffee, and molasses-like honey that springs forward. Then that ginger punch at the end that just lingers around after the silky finish just makes it perfect. This is the first overall 5 I've given and I did it without thinking twice. If you're lucky enough to swing through Richmond during the winter of see the opportunity to get this in a trade, don't you dare pass it up.

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

For what this is going for this beer is perfect! A wonderful holiday libation!

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Pitch black. Smooth pour. Minimal tan head.

S: Ginger. Cinnamon. Vanilla. Honey. Roast. Semi-sweet chocolate.

T: Much the same as smell. Sweetness. Breadiness. Alcohol. Coffee.

M: Creamy. Full-boddied. Smooth.

O: What's there not to like? It's gingerbread in a glass through and through. Brilliant.

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Hands down, the best beer I've ever had. I'm into Porters and Stouts, and whenever I go anywhere, I always try their darkest, strongest beer. I'm usually disappointed. Who would have guessed that one of the finest stouts is brewed right in my own backyard?

Subtle hints of of ginger and honey. It's sweet enough that you don't taste the kick it's got, but not too sweet to be cloying. The best part about the beer, and the reason I'm here actually writing a review is that this beer has the most pleasant aftertaste of any beer I've ever had. Very nice. Makes me feel nice and cozy even hours later.

My sense of smell is not the best, and I would have preferred a more pungent ginger aroma, but others report that it's just fine.

I've had this straight from the tap, out of a growler, and out of their massive corked bottles. I prefer it on tap or from the growler. The bottles seem to have an excess of carbonation, which makes pouring an drinking immediately less pleasant. Fortunately, I can take my growlers direct to the source.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I wish this beer was more full bodied, but other than that this beer is nearly perfect. The integration of ginger and honey is incredible. This beer is good, sinfully good.

Side note: A growler of this beer was given to me around christmas and so its been about three months since then. The carbonation help up very well but I would love to try a fresh bottle of this.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

This is awesome. Gingerbread isn't overwhelming but a nice balanced stout. Need to see more of these guys

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

One of my favorites. Worth the wait. Great taste start to finish. Savor.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

On draft multiple times in Richmond. The 2012 version is a bit lighter bodied that the 2011 version, which makes it more drinkable than the 2011 counterpart. I couldn't finish a 12oz pour of the 2011, but the 2012 is a very sessionable 9.6% stout. The taste is very unique and very spicy on draft. Not a big appearance person, but the smell and taste are divine.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

750mL bottle, poured into the GBS goblet/snifter, Christmas Eve night.

A- Dark brown in color, and looks somewhat thin for a stout. Very little head, which disappears very quickly.

S- Absolutely delicious smell. Lots of ginger and cinnamon. Also, some allspice, nutmeg, etc. There may be a hint of alcohol in the nose as well.

T- Just like the aroma. It is remarkable how well the ginger comes through. This is seriously like eating a slice of gingerbread. Loads of cinnamon, honey, ginger, and other spices. This is an incredibly unique, albeit delicious milk stout. Very, very sweet, and hardly no alcohol heat at all. Lighter body than most stouts, but has a wonderful milky and creamy mouth feel; minimal carbonation.

O- This will forever be my favorite Christmas beer. I will be attending the release every single year from now on. Don't pass on this one, folks. It is a delicious and unique stout. My wife got sick on Christmas Eve night, so I drank the entire 750mL bottle by myself. Loved every minute of it!

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Currently being enjoyed in a Hardywood snifter. I have had the 2011 on tap and bottled, prefer it on draft. As far as 2012 goes the bottles seem to be better.

A - Black. Surprisingly white head which sticks around for about half the beer.

S - Smells great. take a whiff before you've tasted and you know your in for something special.

T - Tastes better than it smells which is a tall order. Top notch taste. Unique for any stout, particularly of this ABV, almost no booze taste.

M - Honestly I do wish it was a little thicker. This would be my only significant knock on this beer. I wont call it watery but it almost seems unnatural how thin it is with the great taste.

0 - Awesome beer. Maybe the best beer for beer lovers and novices to drink together. The taste is so good anyone can approach it, and any beer geek can taste the genius that goes into every glass. I have a case of the 2012 ready to be aged and 2 bottles of the BA version. Can't wait to see how they taste with a bit of father time on them.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This one was at the end of EBF2015 but it still stood out and I loved it!

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle purchased at Church Key DC and poured into snifters.
A: malt black almost deep purple in appearance with a quickly dissipating vanilla toffee head.
S: fresh ginger slams you right off the break followed by cinnamon and all spice. Nutmeg and cloves push through caramelized alcohol sugars ending with sweet mocha chocolate with faint medium Costa Rican/ Jamaica blue coffee roast. Seriously one of the best damn smelling beers of all time.WOW!!
T: sweet fresh gingersnaps buried in barrel charred chocolate coffee malts. Nutmeg and cardamom shot through followed by allspice and cinnamon. The medium roast Costa rican/ Jamaican blue follows at the end with trailing alcohol Esther's.
M: sweet medium frothy body. I wish it was heavier but the fresh ginger astringency really makes that impossible.
O: Outstanding... Is too loose a word. An almost perfect beer masterpiece. I would only ask for a more heavier mouth feel.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Just had the gingerbread stout for the first time, two words. Awesome, AWESOME!!! Like a liquid cookie in my mouth.

4.74/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer, It's the tittaes!- My Girlfriend

4.74/5  rDev +10%

Had a 10oz pour at Joe's Inn in Richmond. I went to the brewery as their website said they were still tasting GBS but they had just run out. Review is from notes.

A dark mahogany color, bordering on black. Very little head which quickly settled into nothingness.

Smells of ginger, honey, molasses, tiny bit of vanilla, and cream. Imagine the aroma of gingerbread in the oven, with a hint of booze.

It lives up to the hype. Tastes more or less like it smells. Lots of honey and milk sweetness, followed by heavy ginger. I get a little cinnamon spice rounding out the ginger.

Creamy and rich. I found the beer relatively heavy and filling. Still, considering the taste, it seemed like it could have benefitted from a little bit more thickness.

Overall, I was impressed. I went to Richmond with the hopes of getting to try this and a bunch of other Hardywood beers and I was not disappointed. One of the best tasting Christmas/spiced beers I've ever had.

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A wonderfully balanced, spice stout with a touch if honey.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #63 (Apr 2012):

LOOK: Full-on black; milky coffee lacing

SMELL: Cinnamon sugar, ginger, clove, cardamom, toasted raisin bread, icing, clean alcohol

TASTE: Smooth, firm, silky; gingerbread, molasses, espresso roastiness, sweetness, fig, brown malt, bread crust, honey, cinnamon, fresh vanilla bean, lactose sugars

Label says “Gingerbread Stout,” and it delivers. Aroma and flavors are spot-on. Tastes like freagin' Christmas in a bottle actually, with layer upon layer building on the palate with each sip. Hell, they even nailed the damn sugary frosting on the gingerbread man. Run, run, as fast as you can! We want more!

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very tasty stout. The only thing that doesn't give it a better score is that it's a bit thin.

Gingerbread Stout from Hardywood Park Craft Brewery