1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gingerbread Stout - Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Gingerbread StoutGingerbread Stout

Hardywood Park Craft Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with baby ginger from Casselmonte Farm and wildflower honey from Bearer Farms, Hardywood Gingerbread Stout captures the terroir of central Virginia in a rich, creamy libation with a velvety mouthfeel and an intriguing evolution of flavors from milk chocolate and vanilla to honeycomb and cinnamon to a snap of ginger in the finish.

Deep, dark chocolate in color with a mahogany tint and a frothy, caramel colored head, Hardywood Gingerbread Stout offers aromatics of holiday spice originating from the ginger, and balanced with a generous dose of whole Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans and Vietnamese cinnamon. Milk sugar (lactose) contributes to the full body of this stout and tames its roasty character, while oats lend a silky quality. Enjoy fresh, or cellar for a special occasion. We hope Hardywood Gingerbread Stout contributes to your merriment this season.

(Beer added by: TechTriumph on 12-08-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gingerbread Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 488 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
Lucho

4.16/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours an amazing dark brown almost black with a beautiful tan/gingerbread creamy head of two fingers with great retention.

Smell: Spices, maybe clove, not sure about the gingerbread. There is cinnamon on the nose.

Taste: There it is, Gingerbread! Well played good sir. Nice and light gingerbread with sweet cinnamon and nutmeg finish. I wish I would have saved this one for the Holidays. I was a little worried about it fading.

Mouthfeel: excellent carbonation with medium to heavy body with a nice dry finish.

Overall: well this is my first gingerbread stout but I say its spot on with what you would expect. The only thing is maybe it could use more of a presence of gingerbread and cinnamon and other seasonal spices. An awesome beer! Cheers

04-10-2013 05:37:42 | More by Lucho
GeoJ

Ben Franklin said God created beer because He wanted people to be happy.

God was on His game when He created this beer ...

Perfection on every level. Tastes of the best gingerbread you've ever eaten.
Pour it over some great vanilla ice cream and cry tears of joy.

Yes ... it IS that good.

Seek it out. Drink. Swoon, and thank Him (And the great folks at Hardywood!)

12-23-2013 14:24:11 | More by GeoJ
upton7418

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle poured into a snifter

A - Pours a dark brown with a large light tan head that tapers down as you drink it. very little light penetrates on the outside but not in the center

S - Roasty malts with lots of ginger and a touch of alcohol in the smell.

T - Just like the smell it begins with roasted malts and vanilla, as it continues you get a strong ginger taste near the end.

M - Medium carbonation with a medium body. very easy to drink without a strong alcohol taste. Very sweet finish much sweeter than expected

O - Very good beer that is very sweet like a cookie. Ginger is prominent in the smell and taste and I can see why this sold out so fast.

01-06-2014 23:42:48 | More by upton7418
BeastLU

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Currently being enjoyed in a Hardywood snifter. I have had the 2011 on tap and bottled, prefer it on draft. As far as 2012 goes the bottles seem to be better.

A - Black. Surprisingly white head which sticks around for about half the beer.

S - Smells great. take a whiff before you've tasted and you know your in for something special.

T - Tastes better than it smells which is a tall order. Top notch taste. Unique for any stout, particularly of this ABV, almost no booze taste.

M - Honestly I do wish it was a little thicker. This would be my only significant knock on this beer. I wont call it watery but it almost seems unnatural how thin it is with the great taste.

0 - Awesome beer. Maybe the best beer for beer lovers and novices to drink together. The taste is so good anyone can approach it, and any beer geek can taste the genius that goes into every glass. I have a case of the 2012 ready to be aged and 2 bottles of the BA version. Can't wait to see how they taste with a bit of father time on them.

12-23-2012 22:57:46 | More by BeastLU
Beechner719

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%

Awesome Beer. Poured from a 750 into a pint glass. Comes out dark brown with a nice head. You can smell the gingerbread flavor right away. Goes down smooth. Get notes of chocolate, ginger on the way down. Great winter beer in the cold. Taste like a gingerbread cookie. Highly recommended

09-09-2013 19:23:02 | More by Beechner719
uvachief

4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Went to the tasting room for this highly reviewed beer. Since when did Richmond become the craft beer Mecca? Pours to a nice 2 finger head. Dark but not cloudy. Nice head retention. Aroma is to die for....gingerbread, nutmeg, chocolate, vanilla and sweet caramelized sugars...drink in the aroma...his the lips with a very smooth and clean entrance. Taste gingerbread, nutmeg and chocolate instantly. Others have said it but it is true....Christmas in a glass/bottle. I have had both now but on tap is a upgrade if you can believe that...goes down smooth with a nice after taste of gingerbread, nutmeg and chocolate with a hint of vanilla. I've bought a case of 750ml bottles since trying this beer. I'm hooked.

11-27-2013 19:25:25 | More by uvachief
mojiboo02

4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

On draft multiple times in Richmond. The 2012 version is a bit lighter bodied that the 2011 version, which makes it more drinkable than the 2011 counterpart. I couldn't finish a 12oz pour of the 2011, but the 2012 is a very sessionable 9.6% stout. The taste is very unique and very spicy on draft. Not a big appearance person, but the smell and taste are divine.

12-18-2012 18:25:07 | More by mojiboo02
QuantumPint

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on-tap at Hardywood.

A: black with a minimal head and slight retention.

N: There's that stout smokiness in the smell, along with hints of gingerbread and the slightest bit of hops.

T: I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I was blown away for sure. There's no doubting the gingerbread flavor. It's up front and lingers through the background flavors of toasted malts. There's the perfect amount of hop bitterness on the finish, which really got me excited as a hophead.

M: Smooth and creamy with enough carbonation that it's not syrupy.

O: As mentioned before, a very pleasant surprise. I wish this one wasn't just a seasonal, and with the rate at which it sold, I'm sure I'm not alone on that front.

01-10-2012 00:45:47 | More by QuantumPint
damngoode

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- pours lighter than expected, a deep carmel and settles into an opaque brown with a frothy head that sticks to the glass and refuses to fade

S- the sum of many parts. It actually smells like a wet gingerbread cookie. The smell makes me imagine a Gingersnap dipped in a Christmas Ale. Beautiful.

T- beginning with some chocolatey sweetness and the majority of the spicy goodness hits at the tail-end of the swallow. There's an 'ah-ha' point in the swallow where it all marries up and you GET it.

M- good fizz.not as viscous as i was expecting.

O- a really nice beer, definitely unique and something that those who love(d) a Christmas Ale but got burnt out should try.

03-21-2013 23:54:52 | More by damngoode
HopHeadVA

4.72/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent beer from this new brewery. Had it at the brewery at their Illumination party. They also had some small batch brews, all stouts, flavored with various different ingredients. As those will probably not go into production I'll just review this one. It's an imperial stout (9.5% or around that), sweet, although well balanced. You don't really taste the high alcohol level. Lots of chocolate with a hint of coffee and ginger. Never had a stout with ginger in it and I was pleasantly surprised. These guys look to be taking over the Virginia market as the best brewery. Looking forward to more from these guys.

12-12-2011 15:47:26 | More by HopHeadVA
Broanoke

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

I wish this beer was more full bodied, but other than that this beer is nearly perfect. The integration of ginger and honey is incredible. This beer is good, sinfully good.

Side note: A growler of this beer was given to me around christmas and so its been about three months since then. The carbonation help up very well but I would love to try a fresh bottle of this.

Serving type: growler

04-06-2014 02:20:37 | More by Broanoke
out4blood

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Hands down, the best beer I've ever had. I'm into Porters and Stouts, and whenever I go anywhere, I always try their darkest, strongest beer. I'm usually disappointed. Who would have guessed that one of the finest stouts is brewed right in my own backyard?

Subtle hints of of ginger and honey. It's sweet enough that you don't taste the kick it's got, but not too sweet to be cloying. The best part about the beer, and the reason I'm here actually writing a review is that this beer has the most pleasant aftertaste of any beer I've ever had. Very nice. Makes me feel nice and cozy even hours later.

My sense of smell is not the best, and I would have preferred a more pungent ginger aroma, but others report that it's just fine.

I've had this straight from the tap, out of a growler, and out of their massive corked bottles. I prefer it on tap or from the growler. The bottles seem to have an excess of carbonation, which makes pouring an drinking immediately less pleasant. Fortunately, I can take my growlers direct to the source.

Serving type: growler

11-22-2012 00:53:21 | More by out4blood
ufmj

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

--> 750-mL bottle split between two snifters & a taster (botte-share w/ wittyname & his wife)...

A- One finger of tan, creamy foam that dissipated quickly into an opaque, black-brown brew.

S- The first sniff immediately made me think of...Coca-Cola?! As it warmed, the nose evolved from ginger to gingerbread to oatmeal-raisin cookie.

T- Very ginger-forward with minimal roastiness and some spicy cinnamon. Sweet with notes of molasses and, at times, Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pie. Seriously.

M- Chewy, yet smooth. Just the right amount of carbonation. No boozy heat at all.

O- Definitely lived up to my expectations of a gingerbread stout. Would love to snag a couple of bottles every winter to keep me warm 'til spring. Now if I could only get my hands on a bottle of Bourbon GBS...

* Thanks to Kwaide for this trade...yes, that rhymed.

08-17-2013 15:29:15 | More by ufmj
Hopbully

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Great dessert beer that you can actually drink more than one. Very black pour, great nose. Lots of cinnamon and chocolate and spices...you get that ginger like you are about to bite into a ginger snap or gingerbread cookie. The finish is like you just ate a gingerbread cookie. incredible re-creation of a snack. Unique and one of a kind. Looking forward to next bottling and some wild variations.

05-02-2012 05:55:33 | More by Hopbully
ccariano

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Pitch black. Smooth pour. Minimal tan head.

S: Ginger. Cinnamon. Vanilla. Honey. Roast. Semi-sweet chocolate.

T: Much the same as smell. Sweetness. Breadiness. Alcohol. Coffee.

M: Creamy. Full-boddied. Smooth.

O: What's there not to like? It's gingerbread in a glass through and through. Brilliant.

05-21-2012 14:12:52 | More by ccariano
dogphishead

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

I've had this on tap and in the bottle(a few times each way). Fantastic! Off the top of my head, there's no beer that absolutely nails a re-creation of dessert or any type of food the way this does. As hopbully stated, you can keep drinking this beer and will probably want to, whereas with other dessert type beers I feel like I've had all I need after 1/2 a pint. Nice job with the booming gingerbread cookie flavors without being overpowering. Well done, Hardywood!

05-26-2012 04:08:35 | More by dogphishead
Code3Brewing

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Served in Snifter

A - Pours dark brown with a finger tan/khaki head, leaves a decent amount of lacing. When held to light it has nice dark ruby color to it.

S - GINGER!, but was expecting more over the top on the ginger smell, it also some slight vanilla and toffee notes.

T - On the front of the tongue I got a slap of that bitterness from the ginger itself, then a huge surge of caramel/toffee sweetness, then a very slight cinnamon and a slight roastiness and slight chocolate on the aftertaste.

M - Full and thick mouth feel and nice and smooth. A fair amount of carbonation,which makes it crisp. No alcohol taste or harshness, very nice.

O - I really enjoyed this!, I wish I would have received two bottles though, so I could have put one away to cellar. It reminded me of Christmas as a kid, when I would eat ginger bread men, instead of putting them on the tree. I would also love to see a barrel aged version of this.

02-10-2013 00:27:09 | More by Code3Brewing
TomFoolery_x

4.11/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First actual review. 2013 bottling. Poured into a snifter from 750ml bottle

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black. Little to no head unless poured very hard.

S: Could just be me, but the smell of this was very underwhelming. Could have been due to the pour being too cold still. Smells of malt and toffee/Carmel notes. I picked up the ginger once it warmed.

T: Wow! This is better than I could have a imagined. Being slightly disappointed by the nose(mostly due to the cold temp of the initial pour) I was very pleased to taste this bad boy! First sip was definitely reminiscent of a gingerbread cookie! Prominent ginger notes followed. Very balanced malt flavors. No discern able alcohol.

M: Mouthfeel is good, a tad but thin from what I was expecting but the carbonation does bring it all together in a silky smooth texture.

O: I definitely recommend this beer if you are a fan of sweeter stouts! Will be looking forward to this beer next year!

01-21-2014 07:30:29 | More by TomFoolery_x
dontbugmeSIW

Ireland

This beer is amazing in every way. Every time it comes in season I immediately go to my local beer store and buy a few bottles. Every night that I crack one open it's like heaven in my mouth. I think it might be the fact that it is basically Christmas in a bottle that makes it taste so nice.

02-20-2014 23:42:28 | More by dontbugmeSIW