Sidamo Coffee Stout - Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Sidamo Coffee StoutSidamo Coffee Stout

Hardywood Park Craft Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.30% ABV

(Beer added by: YumYumGumGum on 01-05-2013)

Beautiful thick almost Guinness like head, nice deep caramel colored with tight carbonation.

Nice deep rich coffee flavors with a perfect touch of sweetness.

The roasted coffee smells are really well balanced with the flavor..

Also with a 9.3% ABV it's not dry at all.. very smooth.. a Beer you can drink too fast and hate yourself the next morning.

With that said, I going to buy another 2 bottles tonight..

>>>

I have since then gone to Hardywood (They are near my office) and bought it multiple times and am currently hitting one of the growlers.

Since its a limited run and only limited (VERY) are left.. I feel bad for anyone that never had this.. It has to be the best beer I have EVER had.. and I have had a lot (mind you I like my beers high in ABV, with a sweet malty flavor.. Coffee and Chocolate and Vanilla are my favorite flavors and this Beer is loaded with them.

That said.. Saturday they release a new Beer, Chocolate Heat.. also a Russian Imperial Stout.. If you are in their distribution area get it !

Come to the Dark side - We have Stouts and Porters :)

CDGoin, Feb 08, 2013

bellbw, Jul 20, 2014

ddeck85, Mar 31, 2013

jlivings757, Jan 16, 2014
4.48/5  rDev +16.1%

A: black with caramel hue, and not think enough to achieve jet black. Very very thin tan head which disappears quickly with minimal lacing.

S: sweet subtle coffee, small booze

T: the base stout is an excellent IRS and the coffe flavor is excellent and introduces all of the sweetness in front of a dry, malty, roasted slight chocolate flavor.

M: i rarely give a perfect score for mouth feel but this is the quintessential IRS feel with a low but excellent carbonation. Not think but introduces a complex and original chocolate and roasted coffee profile.

O: i may be partial, as I am a local but I've had issues with some of their products in the past and this is a far better beer than the infamous bbgbs. This is a different style but a very drinkable iRS profile. Really enjoyed it on draft at the brewery. Can't wait for an excuse to pop a bottle.

YumYumGumGum, Jan 05, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +14%

Bottle purchased in Sep 2013. Served in Hardywood GBS stem glass.
A - very dark brown with tan head, diminishes after a few minutes.
S - berries and stone fruit (cherries) faint but unmistakable. a little surprised I picked this up, then read the label about the Ethiopian sidamo coffee bean and what it brings to aroma and flavor. Masterful!
T - fruit notes and sweetness up front, then coffee bitterness, but rounded out with caramel and mild booziness. A distinctive, delicious Russian imperial stout.
M - balanced- definitely not thin, but not overly thick or chewy. Perfect consistency for a stout, but definitely a sipping beer.
O - this one surprised me. I was expecting a typical coffee stout and the berry notes threw me a pleasant curve. I'm looking to buy more of these.

SierraDeuce, Nov 17, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Black as night with a foamy mocha head, this coffee stout was as visually appealing as it was delicious. A real pleasant surprise. The nose was fairly subtle, with teasing hints of coffee brittle. The taste was the real winner here with a complex variety of coffee, cacao, anise, toffee, nut, and huge mouthfuls of rich molasses. Not as thick, viscous, and mealy as expected. This one could easily sneak up on you...it goes down VERY easy for a beer with 9.3 ABV.

ALBuff, Feb 18, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Pitch black pour with a bubbly tan head that leaves a thin layer of bubbles after it settles.

S- Roasty, bready malts, faint aroma of bitter coffee, slight boozy aroma.

T- Starts out as a smooth and roasty RIS, but a huge blast of bold roasted coffee shows up towards the end and stays through the finish. The bottle mentions blueberry notes in the coffee and there definitely is a dried fruit note towards the end, almost like dried fruit in a tea. The coffee used in this beer is really unique. It is subtle, but has bold flavors that come through. I know that is sort of an oxymoron, but it is hard to describe.

M- Full bodied, medium carbonation, a big bold sipper.

O- A big coffee stout. As I mentioned, the style of coffee makes this one unique, which is a nice change of pace from the many coffee imperial stouts out there. A solid offering.

stephenjmoore, Apr 14, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

750ml bottle into a snifter

A: Pours quite light for a RIS - black, but I can see some amber and brown hues around the edges. A finger of off white head forms and very slowly recedes to a thin film.

S: Not what I was expecting. I get some smooth coffee, but I get a caramel and nuttiness that I typically get from English Imperial Stouts. I get some roast behind that, but it certainly doesn't take center stage. A bit of cocoa in the background.

T: Coffee becomes a bit more pronounced in the flavor, but it mixes very well with the stout. This is not an in your face coffee and chocolate bomb like I am used to and love (think FBS and WnB), this is a stout that almost mimics the coffee that is in it. I again get a very nice nutty flavor, quite strong in fact. It actually reminds me of peanut brittle with a nice toffee sweetness to accompany it, though the nuttiness reminds me more of almonds. I get a lightly bitter coffee roast behind that with a nice cocoa to add to the complexity.

M: Definitely on the thin side with slightly higher than average carbonation, but it fits with the beer.

O: Not at all what I expected when I traded for this beer. This is like no other coffee stout I've ever had. It doesn't win you over with its intensity, it wins you over with a well integrated subtle complexity. This brewer really thought this beer out and knew he was doing something unique.

coreyfmcdonald, Jan 23, 2013