2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

First Anniversary Ale - Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

First Anniversary Ale
No picture uploaded.

Hardywood Park Craft Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Stout |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: VaTechHopHead on 05-28-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 19 | Reviews: 2 | Show All Ratings:
jdb8507

I was fortunate enough to snag a couple of bottles of this, and the first one was so incredibly good I do not know how long I can resist aging the next.

I wasn't a huge fan of the HPCB fruit beers, but the blackberry was the best one. It paired perfectly with the stout, which I am a huge fan of as well.

Good luck find this one, but if you do don't pass up on it. It might be my favorite beer from them, and I have had them all... a lot...

12-27-2013 20:37:53 | More by jdb8507
VaTechHopHead

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Was very skeptical before trying this beer due to the unique blend: 40% 2011 barrel-aged milk stout, 40% 2012 barrel-aged milk stout, 20% blackberry wit beer. Blending 2 very dissimilar styles threw me for a loop.

But to my surprise the beer was very pleasant. There was a very noticeable wood character but not too oaky/vanilla flavored like normal bourbon barrels, more or a robust light char character. The beer started off with that rich wood flavor and quickly moved to a stout-infused blackberry character with the fruit tasting very ripe and rich, not like a fruit flavoring additive. There was a wisp of booze right at the finish but it was mostly a combination of fruit and light wood/bourbon notes.

A complex/unique beer for sure and very easy to drink for 11%