Follow our progress ...

Mother In Lager | Karbach Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by twiggamortis420 on 10-25-2013

Reviews: 21 | Ratings: 184
Reviews by woodychandler:
4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

The wondrous JenRay sent this to me for inclusion in The CANQuest (TM) and I am so thankful that I am going to try and meet up with her in NYC in a couple/few weeks! Another of my traders to be CANverted into an in-person trader, thanks to The CANQuest (TM).

From the CAN: "Brewed in Texas"; "Seasonal"; "winter's here"; "Proudly Brewed in Texas"; "Yes Ma'am. What [CAN] you say about the woman who brings a big serving of judgment to every occasion? Sometimes it's best to say nothing at all. Mother-in-Lager recognizes those who have shown glimpses of sweetness through their otherwise bitter exterior and feels for those who put up with it. Brewed with dark malts and German hops, this brew[']s depth of flavor will allow you to relax and bite your tongue while she reorganizes your entire kitchen. So grab a Mother-in-Lager and be prepared for the next time she comes to visit. It's going to be a long, cold night. Aww[,] who are we kidding? No matter what she may say or do, we still love her!"; "Respect Mother Earth".

The last time that I was in Houston, Texas was for the Fourth of July, 2008 and I was not aware of Karbach's existence (if they even truly did exist), but I am enthusiastic about their willingness to CAN their beers!

There is nothing like the sound of the Crack! to inspire an inverted Glug and thus, we were off and running. I always get a kick out of the ensuing pseudo-cascade, especially in the darker beers and this was no exception. After settling, I had just over two fingers of deep-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep-ruby/garnet (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of milk chocolate and bread or biscuits, which was nice without being cloying or overdone. I began to see some nice lacing form as the head fell. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was unexpectedly more bitter than the nose had led me to think. I really liked this as a result! Think about it - a CANned lager from a microbrewery, which is unusual in and of itself, but then one that did not evince the usual sweetness of the style. Sure, it had a chocolate/cocoa sweetish flavor from the malt, but it was downplayed by the grassiness of the hops, making it an eminently drinkable beer. Finish was semi-sweet and really a nice change of pace for me of late.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.37/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From a can into a pint glass. The color looks a shade dark for a Dunkel but I guess within range. Nice tan head. First taste tells me this is not quite my style of Munich Dunkel. There is a astringent/bitter edge that I don't think is coming from the hops. This is not a bad beer at all, just not very German-tasting and not what I consider true to style. A very fine Dunkel can be brewed with only Munich malt and maybe a small amount of crystal/caramel malt. When you start adding chocolate malt or worse, black patent, the roasted grain, porter-ish notes are quite unwelcome. Just my .02, of course. Otherwise well brewed with no off flavors that I can detect.

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark amber/light brown color with a two finger head that lingers and leaves a ring of lacing at the top of the glass. Nose of roasted malt, caramel, and noble hops. Taste follows the nose and is sweet with the noble hops providing a clean finish. More sweet than bitter but not overly sweet. Medium body and medium carbonation with nice drinkability.
Very nice seasonal release. Solid across the board, there are no glaring issues other than it's a seasonal release. Probably my favorite Karbach brew.

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Pretty decent sized light brown to tan colored head slowly settles leaving a bit of lacing clinging to the edges as it recedes above a deep reddish amber colored beer.

Well roasted caramel malt aroma bordering on warmed dark chocolates.

Smooth dark roasted malts taste with a light Hershey's dark milk chocolate edge to it.

Dryish aftertaste with a bit of the dark malts tastes hanging around with this smooth and creamy medium bodied drink.

Smooth and tasty, pretty pleased with buying this stuff, just wish I had bought more.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

This is a seasonal brew that we all here in Houston cannot wait for. Wonderful flavor, and strangely, I find its flavor is more pronounced from the can.

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

3.84/5  rDev 0%

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Mother In Lager from Karbach Brewing Co.