Weisse Versa Wheat | Karbach Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Weisse Versa WheatWeisse Versa Wheat

Karbach Brewing Co.
Texas, United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

German Hefeweizen / Belgian Witbier hybrid, brewed with coriander and citrus peel.

Added by lnashsig on 09-04-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 69 | Ratings: 413
4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz can into a Three Floyds nonic.

An...interesting pour, to say the least. The body and head is appropriate: straw-colored with a marigold tint and a fleeting off-white cap of foam. However, the last bit of the pour released a 'slug' of yeasty sludge into the glass that gave the already-hazy body the consistency of Hot & Sour soup before it settled to the bottom of the glass. Aroma heads in the right direction, though, with a hint of Belgian wit spiciness and orange peel backed by vanilla and banana bread dough notes brought on by the wheat.

The flavor is even more pleasing, with a bright, spicy/citrusy balance to the front of the palate that finishes with a delicious, palpable wheat & banana body. Crisp, lively, refreshing. All the right notes are hit in terms of both flavor and mouthfeel. Really reminds me of Live Oak's hefeweizen in that respect, and for that--respect. Overall, a delicious wheat beer that I will surely be revisiting. Looking forward to the rest of my six-pack. Nicely done, Karbach.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to kevin123 for this can...

A: Pours a nice cloudy gold with one full finger of white head that settles quickly. There is only a tiny ring along the edges of the beer that remains.

S: The nose is earthy, with notes of banana and clove. It smells sweet, but there is also a slight sour/funk note in there as well.

T: It's crisp and stinging up front with a slightly salty kick. The clove and banana come on strong afterward. The finish is bananas and wheat.

M: Light bodied beer. It's a bit stinging up front, but the carbonation settles down as it lingers on the palate. The finish is smooth and clean. A bit of banana lingers.

O: I enjoyed this beer, but it's nothing spectacular. I'd drink it again if I was ever afforded the opportunity, but it's not something I would specifically seek out in the future.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

This beer was courtesy of MordorMongo, who gave it to me since he got a few as extras in a trade. Thanks Scott!

This Weiss in a can pours a light bodied, very cloudy dull gold in clor with a few chunks of sediment. It looks the part and has a one finger white head. The nose is decent too. There is plenty of Bavarian yeast and banana, some clove, and spice. The flavors are on par as well. There is plenty of yeast character and earthy spice. It also has an ever so slight creamed corn element, but nowhere as intense as Live Oak. The best part of this beer may be the body. It drinks thick for a Hefe. That's how I like them and this drinks as thick as Weihenstephaner. Overall this was a pretty nice Hefe and it really surprised me. I didn't think a Hefe out of a can could be this good.

4.26/5  rDev +8.4%

Got this as an extra from Daniel and what a pleasant surprise! (Thanks!)

A: This beer looks delicious. Light orange color with two finger head, good amount of lacing. Cloudy

S: Orange, yeast, lemon, some spice

T: Banana, orange, yeasty taste, followed by some breadiness, finishes with a bit of sweetness as well as bitterness. Maybe it's due to the aftertaste, but I walk away feeling that this American version of Hefeweizen is sweeter and bitterer than your typical German Hefeweizen. I don't mind ther bitterness (as it's not that bitter - just comparively bitter), but I wish it was a tad bit less sweet.

M: It's perfect. Good amount of carbonation, medium body.

O: Way way better than I had expected. Plus, I have to add that this is the only hefeweizen that I had that came in a can. I thought this one was up there with Live Oak Hefeweizen. In fact, this one tasted and smelled closer to German Hefeweizen (with spices). Another good brew from Texas.

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz can into 22oz BWW weizen glass.

Pours a typical hefe cloudy orange yellow although with a smaller than normal white head. Head goes down to a skim fairly quickly given the style. Smell is light and lemon citrusy with some of the yeast coming out, though not as much as I'd like. Taste is light and citrusy wheat some good amounts of hefe yeast and a hint of spice. The aftertaste has some orange rind. Body is extremely light given the style and could use a bit of oomph, nice and dry.

This comes off more like a weak weissbier than a wit/weiss hybrid. Only fans of the style will be able to pick up the subtle spicing and lighter than normal body that suggest wit. Not a bad beer but leaves me wanting either a wit or a weiss, not both.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This a high quality beer. A mix of a witbier and a Bavarian hefeweizen.

The appearance is a cloudy yellow colour.

Overtones of cloves and banana dominate the smell and taste of this beer. The flavour is exquisite.

The mouthfeel is excellent.

Overall this is a very interesting take on the hefeweizen/witbier styles. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I got this beer through a trade. I poured it from the can into a pint glass. Ir has a nice cloudy gold color with a nice 2" foamy head that lays down quickly. The smell is has a nice some banana notes. The taste is nice has some banana notes, some hops on the back of the tongue. The mouth feel is nice and oversll this hef is a very drinkable beer.

4.4/5  rDev +12%

Full mouthfeel, big yeast bomb just like a proper hefeweizen. Categorically, I'd describe this as a hefe with some wit spices, and minus some malt heaviness. This beer seems very much Houston Summer Approved®

The spices merge nicely with the hefeweizen yeast, and it really works as a nice package. A little bit of hops on the end. Dry aftertaste on the back of your tongue.

Kudos to my hometown for rivaling the boys out in Austin with a truly stellar hefe. About damn time.

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

Finally the cans from Karbach have hit stores! I was a little bummed to not find a freshness date on them though; this could be a problem going forward.

Pours a hazed gold color with a fluffy white head that did not stick around long, nor left much lacing.

Smells more like a witbier than an APW, there is definitely some coriander here and has a definite orange-y aspect to it. Little bit of bubblegum and clove as it warms up. Has me thinking more of a wit-hefe hybrid at this point.

Taste is light on the spices; I must say...and has a nice yeasty presence. Interesting. Refreshing and zesty with a soft, sweet wheat presence mid-palate. I had this on tap a few months ago and did not think much of it, but out of a can it is fairly impressive. I can see myself buying more than a few of these over the hot summer months down here. When I went to review this and saw the 91 score, homer-ism came straight to mind…but this one is actually a pretty damn good wheat beer despite the cross-classification issues; lets go with witahefewheat?

4.84/5  rDev +23.2%

This offering from Karbach is definitely their highest quality and tastiest, imo. It's a cross between a witbier and a hefe, but overall, more like a hefe.

A--Cloudy and golden. Nice foamy and creamy white head with great retention.

S--Banana at the forefront, clove, light fruit, lemon, biscuit, coriander. The smell promises everything in the taste and does not disappoint.

T--This one is in my top 5--best wheat beer I've ever had. Perfect balance of tangy, citrusy hops blended expertly with banana and honey wheat malts. Sweetness comes in at the forefront but finishes cleanly and crisply. Totally refreshing, great session beer.

M--Luscious mouthfeel. Creamy and medium bodied with a balanced level of carbonation.

D--I could drink 20 of these, and I might.

Overall, I would say Karbach knocked it out of the park, and Eric Warner is to be commended. I am stoked to have such an excellent brewery in Houston--very much looking forward to seeing their beer in stores.

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

New brewery, first time trying anything from them. Hearty pour from a growler at the La Muerta bottle share. Thank you to the guy whose name I no longer remember for inviting me into the circle and offering me a taste of this fantastic brew.

This one hits all the notes. It’s like the hefe of my wildest expectations, moreso than most hefes I’ve had in memory. By that I mean it smells wonderful, with a full aroma of banana and cloves that carries over to the taste. It’s sweet, just right, and so flavorful I’m still thinking about it a day later. This is a good one and I’m eager to see more from these guys.

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at the Petrol Station in Houston.

The beer pours an ugly, murky yellow color with a white head. Even for a beer that is supposed to be hazy, this beer is pretty ugly. The aroma is full of wheat with a lot of banana and clove notes mixed in. The flavor also has a lot of hefeweizen character to it, with a lot of banana and clove notes. However, there is also a little bit of orange peel in the flavor, but I don't get any of the coriander that is used in the beer. Medium, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A cloudy golden wheat beer with big taste. Hits banana and cloves notes. I could even catch a little lemon zest and bubble gum. Full flavored, I could drink this all night and be completely content. Drinkability is off the charts. Karbach's best offering so far.

4.44/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Anvil

Appearance: Cloudy, pale golden straw. Good collar with some yeast. Good head retention. Light lacing.

Smell: Banana, clove, orange peal, and lemon peel dominate. apple, pear, coriander, hints of spice. Bubblegum! Lots of esters. SO GOOD. Witbier character more obvious over time.

Taste: This is the best of both worlds. The wheat shines through. It's bright and flavorful. Almost juicy. The smell and taste complement each other very well. Nice citrus and clove balanced by enough acidity and spice. Good hop balance. Very flavorful compared to hefeweizens and witbiers I've had.

Mouthfeel:
Very well carbonated. Light but enough body to make it a pleasurable drinking experience. Very drinkable.

Overall:
This is the best wheat beer I've ever had. Thanks to Karbach, I've got a new instant favorite. It's refreshing and flavorful. Highest recommendation.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

This is billed as the best of barvian hefe (yeast) and belgian wit (corriander and orange peel). I've had a few over the course of my week in town and really enjoy it (I love both of the combined styles), especially in this 100+ F weather.
On draught at the Richmond Arms, Weisse Versa is a cloudy dark gold with a small, off-white collar leaving light, scattered lace.

Smell is massive hefe esters, heavy clove, banana.

Taste is also big esters. I didn't notice the wit adjuncts during the first few pints when I didn't know they were in there, and thought it was just a pure hefe. Now that I know, by searching, I can find some of the spicy bite from the coriander, but the flavor is really all esters - which is just fine by me!

Mouthfeel is dry (spices), and medium light bodied.

Drinkability is really good, especially given the climate. A full flavored hefe, unfiltered and unapologetic. I see so many domestic "hefes" that are just blonde ales with wheat, I'm glad to see their boldly embracing the flavor of the yeast. Well done, my favorite (local) beer of the trip.

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Petrol Station Houston.

A- Hazy warm yellowish orange color poured with a decent 1 and half finger eggshell colored head. Looks very refreshing and inviting.

S- This thing smells great. Lots of wheat, hints of a sweet banana/ clove. Very fruity smelling but not tropical fruits or citrus typically associated with heavily hopped IPAs.

T- This thing tastes awesome. The smell transfers over to the taste greatly. Lots of wheat and refreshing light fruit flavor. A tad bit of hops balances everything things out. This beer finishes dry and is more flavorful than alot of it's euro counterparts.

M- Light, crisp and very quaffable. Plenty of carbonation. This beer has a perfect home here in the sweltering heat of Houston.

O- This is one of the best heffe/wit style beers I've had the pleasure of drinking. I think this beer is even superior to its Live Oak counterpart. Very proud this is made in my home town. I went back the very next day after trying it and got a growler fill.

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

On-tap at Flying Saucer/Houston

From Notes:
An orangy amber, I think it sat at the bar a little long, no head. A nice souriness aroma, follows through to the taste. Lots of fruitiness and citrus with the souriness. Very smooth with slight carbonation.

This really was an outstanding beer. Growlers of this will be worth their weight in gold. Can't wait for the cans to get pumped out.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Beavers. I got to meet one of the Karback guys, always a good thing.

A: Pours a cloudy, hazed golden/orange. A towering two finger white head forms with good retention and lace. Looks spot on.
S: Orange peal right up front. Very juicy and slightly tart. Zesty spice with banana and light wheat aromas. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose with huge juicy orange right up front that is awesome. Slightly tart fruits. Zesty spicy phenolics. Banana and wheat flavors. Baked bread. I love it.
M/D: A medium body that is very effervescent. Crisp, smooth and very clean. I can drink this all day. Really enjoyable.

One of the best wheat beers in Texas. Right up there with Live Oak Hefe. Since I have had this at Beaver's, this has been my go to in cans. Excellent, and highly recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

Proud to be the first to enter a beer on Karbach's BA page, and proud to have this new Houston brewery situated less than 2 miles from my house in Houston. They have a great brewing Heritage from Brewmaster Eric Warner, and I expect them to be a staple in my fridge and in my cup from here on out.

Got my growler filled with this beer less than 4 hrs ago at Petrol Station in Houston. Poured from growler into Brooklyn tulip. Pours a cloudy, light orange/yellow color. Crazy head fills the glass immediately- its almost reminiscent of a saison/farmhouse ale in appearance. Great head retention, stays around forever. Smell- coriander, citrus peel (orange), lemon citrus, and definitely a yeasty, bready quality to the aroma. Just smells fantastic. Taste- first thing that hits the palate is the coriander spice, followed by that dry citrus peel. Excellent carbonation makes for a dry finish. There is definitely a breadiness on the palate too- yummy sweet breads- something you would imagine coming from the dough of a fresh baked cinnamon roll. Man- this is an amazing beer. So light, airy, refreshing. I'm upping my grade to a 5 on the taste and mouthfeel. This beer is nothing less than world class- I can't wait to have it available in cans shortly.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Weisse Versa Wheat from Karbach Brewing Co.