Hopadillo IPA - Karbach Brewing Co.

Hopadillo IPAHopadillo IPA

good

Karbach Brewing Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

A "Texas-style IPA" at ~70 IBU and brewed with a combination of American, English and German hops (German Magnum, Chinook, Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, East Kent Goldings). Dry-hopped too.

(Beer added by: champ103 on 09-09-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopadillo IPA Alström Bros

2.45/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. can poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep amber, kinda hazy. Decent cream head and nice wisps.

Smell - There's something off about it I can't pinpoint. Very malty. Caramel. A little bit of butterscotch. Citrus hop, but the off aroma is dominant.

Taste - Some citrus hop, but malt is dominant. Sweet caramel malt. Again that off flavor is really strange. Maybe it's diacetyl, but it's not the normal diacetyl flavor. Butterscotchy, but not in the traditional way.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy, medium carbonation. Weird.

Overall - I wish I could qualify that off flavor better, but I can't. It's not a normal IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A burnt orange almost reddish and a thin head
S. sweet bread aroma
T. Resinous flavor upfront then spicy aftertaste, bitter hops lingering, and still lingering,still...
M. Bubbles to medium body that is slightly oily ending with cotton mouth
O. When I first tried this beer about a month ago I was not very familiar with IPA's, this beer has set a bar for me. Granted I am fairly new to craft beer, I have bought this beer more than once, it hase been a beer that I go to when all I need is one beer,and no messin around. I get the full craft beer experience in one 12 ounce can.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

2.88/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz can. no canned on date.

A: a good bit of haze on an otherwise very copper brew. head is comprised of big bubbles. frothy. retention is reasonable. big plumes of head retention left behind.

S: a decent malt richness. caramel. candied apple? oxidation? the hop aroma has seemed to worn out a bit. wish I knew how old this thing is...

T: a definitive oxidation is the first thing that jumps out at me. a whole heck of a lot of bitterness as well. the pine and the hop resins are muddied by the bitterness. finish is right back to the bitterness.

M: a real tingly carb, maybe slightly aided by the bitterness. medium body.

D: this thing is a bit too muddied and beat up for me to find it truly enjoyable. like I stated earlier, I wish I knew how old this can was. tastes like it has been around for a bit. anyway, gotta review what is in front of me and cant help they don't date.

3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can poured into Hopadillo IPA glass.
A-semi clear orange with nice thick head that doesn't dissipate entirely and has nice lacing.
S-a combination of citrus hop and bread.
T-nice bitter hops front with slightly sweet middle notes and a dry finish.
M-slightly sticky, but medium bodied.
O-this is a good IPA and Karbach continues to be one of the better Houston breweries. Not my favorite IPA, but is a good one.

Hopadillo IPA from Karbach Brewing Co.