Sympathy For The Lager - Karbach Brewing Co.

Sympathy For The LagerSympathy For The Lager

good

Karbach Brewing Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

Euro Pale Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: champ103 on 09-29-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sympathy For The Lager Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

4.14/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great looking lager, orange-tan with a two finger head that had great staying power and left sticky lacing not commonly seen in a lager.

A great malty backbone is accented by plentiful floral hops, with a touch of earthiness. Downright delicious.

Body is medium and more ale-like than lager like, with a very nice floral hop finish.

Highly recommended. I'm getting more impressed with Karbach's beers each time I try a new one.

4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

4.08/5  rDev +14.6%

Today has officially been designated as New CANned Beer Sunday in order to jumpstart the long-dormant CANQuest (TM) which stalled for a number of reasons. Big Thanks and Major Ups to the wonderful JenRay for sending Karbach CANs along from Houston! And now, we CANtinue with today's programming, already in progress ...

From the CAN: "[Proudly] Brewed in Texas";
"Lagerhythm [-]
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a beer of damn fine taste
I've been around for a long, long time
But many brewers ruined my name
I've watched now for several decades
As my character's been disgraced
But now the boys down on Karbach Street [Aha!]
Have made me first rate
Full of fine malt and German hops
My taste is both fine and bold
And though my flavor always stands out
I'm best enjoyed cold
So if you meet me have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, enjoy my taste ..."

From Karbach Street to Chez Woody, I began with a standard Crack, followed by an inverted Glug, resulting in cascading action at the juncture between liquid and foam. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity. The tawny head was massive and lasting and resembled the top of an ice cream cone. Nose was pleasantly malty and sweet and I am OK with that, especially in a lager, following so many AAL clunkers on The CANQuest (TM) to date. Mouthfeel was medium and the grassy Saaz hops were immediately obvious on the tongue. Finish was dry and moderately bitter and I CAN get behind this! I would take this to the beach or put it in my cooler for Hula in the Coola Day (01 February, annually). Houston, I have no problem with this beer! Bravo to all involved.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

16 oz. on-tap poured into pint at the Hay Merchant in Houston (great place!)

L: very dark gold; not a ton of lacing; strange ... it's much darker than a standard lager (Euro pale lager on here ... at the Hay Merchant, I think they list it as a "Helles")

S: light, weak, sweet

T: light but with good bitter hops up front. it wants to smooth out like an ale but doesn't ... and it shouldn't. it's a lager, right?

F: real mouthful for a lager; say what you want, this is not water.

O: not bad at all; probably a great session beer. and i might be over-rating it a tick or two, but it really impressed me for a lager (not an overly expensive one, either)

Karbach is doing things. I saw it on tap all over Houston this past weekend.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

12oz can into Red Oak becker.

Pours a clear golden yellow with a good sized fluffy white head. Smell is some lager yeast and sweet malt, hint of floral malt. Taste is malty (caramel?) with floral hops and a clean bitter finish. There is a sulfur taste as well that I am not crazy about. Body is medium weight and fairly high carb.

This is actually quite pretty for a lager. Overall a very solid all malt lager, perhaps a bit sharp and somewhat pilsner-like. Good amount of taste. Goes amazingly well with soft pretzels and good mustard.

Sympathy For The Lager from Karbach Brewing Co.