Rodeo Clown - Karbach Brewing Co.

Rodeo ClownRodeo Clown

Karbach Brewing Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: champ103 on 10-13-2011

Ratings: 454 | Reviews: 72

A nice IPA. The malty flavors set it apart from other IPA's. Will certainly buy again.

This beer got me hooked and wanting to find the best IPA out there.
So far, this is it for me.

4.74/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Full of spicy hop flavor with a solid, sweet malt backbone.

4.73/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite beers. Malty and citrusy, which offsets the hoppy finish. Also hint of citrus and pine nuts. I like the flowery aroma. The high alcohol content sneaks up on you! I have not had it from the can, but this one on tap is hard to beat! If ever in Houston give it a try.

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%

12 oz. can poured into a tulip

L: murky caramel brown with an amber glow when held up to a light; thick, fluffy head of an inch or more that sticks and laces. this beer puts on a show -- and i love the opaque murkiness.

S: hops AND malt! an awesome balance ... smells as good as anything on the planet. it swings to a very hop-forward aroma, then swings over to a sweet malty biscuit aroma. complex but over the long haul has a great balance.

T: hop forward with a good bitter bite that smooths out with a very sweet, malty finish -- and is VERY complex. you get a different taste each time, always with a hops, alcohol and sweet malt rotating in there. sometimes one takes center stage, then another. without question its the most malty of any of the DIPAs I've tried yet, and I love it!

F: hardly notice anything about it ... good carbonation, good feel, but I must say there doesn't seem to be anything about it that makes it stand out. might just be me.

O: what a brew! I'm very excited that our little Texas brewery is cranking this one out full-time. I'd put it up against Arrogant Bastard, it's that complex and well-constructed. about the only drawback I can find is the fact that you *do* taste the alcohol at times; personally, I'm not a fan of that ... but it's not as in your face as other higher ABV brews, and ultimately, who cares? this beer's so damn good just drink it!

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very hoppy, great tasting beer

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

I had heard great things about this beer. I live in Houston too, and I love to support local businesses...so I gave it a shot. Poured into a tulip.

A - reddish amber, beautiful tan head laces well.

S - piney, typical Double IPA smell. Very subtle with this one though.

T - pine, citrus. Finishes with the pleasant dry hop taste that lingers on. Can't taste the octane even at it being 9.5% ABV, well balanced.

M - carbonation very present, refreshing. Light feel on the palate.

Overall, a damn good double IPA. The hops and malts are so harmoniously combined. Very impressed here, specially for a craft beer company that has only been opened just over a year.

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy ruby with a small off white head. Smell is very floral and piny with a little fruitiness and alcohol. The taste reflects this as well, and although there is a lot of hop flavor there is a lot more malty sweetness than I have tasted in an IPA before, let alone a DOUBLE IPA. Overall delicious brew.

4.36/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I went with an empty 64 ounce growler and decided on Rodeo Clown. The keg ran dry at about 40 ounces. I got the bottom of the barrel literally. Perfect for a review. I have had this offering before in the standard 4 packs of 12 oz cans but finished them before I got around to doing a review. This time is different.

I got the growler really cold and am going to work it down and let it warm to let everything come out from it.

A: This is a medium dark very cloudy amber color. It looks like carmel candy but a few shades darker. Its very very cloudy. I am sure there is a lot of flavor in there. But first a smell...

S: Wow. I am getting the hops but it smells really sweet. Like candy almost. I think I smell too many things too rapidly. I am getting pine, earth, grapefruit, bread, maple, molasses, and some other stuff.

T: Wow again. This beer is delicious but has to warm up to reveal its complexity. When its cold, it seems overly sweet and devoid of a decent hop profile for this style. However, it is there. This beer is MUCH better when served above 55 F. I am really amazed at the hidden ABV. Even at the warmer temp, where you would expect some heat, its still hidden and well blended being balanced very well by the sugar. I have seen others say it is too syrup-like for them. Ok. Let it warm up and try again would be my advice. Also don't pigeon hole it for the style it calls itself. There is a lot going on here. Its very complex on the hop profile and the malts in the foundation. I am going to rate this beer very high. I would be willing to say that is beer actually deserves its own new style classification. Yes it is that different.

O: It is very difficult to rate this beer. Here's why. First it is not anything close to your highly rated American Double or Imperial IPA. Its way too complex for this classification style. At the same time, I am not going to rate it lower based on the fact this it is not typical for this style. I would challenge any brewer to match this beer or even come close to the complexity, the hop profile, the foundation and the ability to hide the ABV so broadly across the temperature spectrum. During the iterations coming from this half filled 64 oz growler, I have had a chance to get to know it much better. Looks like we will have breakfast together. LOL! GREAT BEER! A new style is indicated in my humble opinion based on the bottom of the keg sample reviewed proudly.

4.34/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is such a unique DIPA. Huge malt backbone on this one that causes it to come across as a barleywine. If you can, get it as fresh as possible to get all of the hop aroma to support the malt bill on this one. One of my favorites due to its uniqueness.

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Love the smell - very malty and toasted for an IPA. This continues in the taste but with some hops and tropical fruit. Really heavy, strong beer. Most double IPAs taste pretty similar to me, but I like how this one is maltier. And it's from Texas so that's always a plus.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 1L growler filled at the Whole Foods on Montrose.

The beer pours a dark orange-amber color with a large off-white head. The aroma is very powerful, with a nice mix of resinous hops, orange notes and some biscuit malt. There is also a little bit of alcohol in the aroma, not letting you forget the beer is nearly 10 percent.

The flavor is heavy on the hops. I get quite a bit of bitterness, as well as some nice orange and resin notes from the West Coast hops. Once again, there is some biscuit malt and a little bit of alcohol in the flavor, which gets more prominent as the beer warms. The beer is extremely to drink and quite enjoyable.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.18/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap at the brewery on a recent visit to Houston. The tour had some good info about the history (short) of the brewery and was a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I went on a nice afternoon and the place was packed. There was even a food truck to serve a fusion of Korean and Mexican fare.

On to the beer...

The beer was delicious. Had their canned Hopadillo IPA before heading to the brewery. Rodeo Clown Double IPA didn't disappoint. Fairly high ABV but you wouldn't know it from the taste or finish so go easy on this one.

A: Nice dark amber pour from the tap with great lace during the drink.

S: Smell of hops and malt. The malt body is prominent in this beer.

T: The hop flavor is a bit masked from the effort to increase ABV so it tasted a bit maltier/sweeter than their standard IPA. Great taste from start to finish. Similar to others in this category I've tried. One thing to note is the lack of the alcohol taste as compared to some other high ABV offerings I've tried. Very drinkable.

O: Nothing crazy here but very easy to drink a few of these. Definitely worth a try! The brewery experience was great as well. Really nice folks.

Can't wait to try this from the can!

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

a nice deep amber pour with 2 fingers of off-white head and great lacing.
smells of hops! piney/floral hop notes, caramel, more hops! seriously, also getting some grassy hop smell, citrus grapefruit.
bitter citrus flavor up front, heavy earth notes, not as much hop flavor as in the smell.. very boozy.
medium to full body, moderate carbonation, sticky, creamy.

a great dipa, but i wish it came through better in the flavor department.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

On tap at Karbach Brewery

I'm not a huge IPA fan.. but I do prefer dIPA's generally.. this one I really liked.

Plenty of hops, but maybe not the hop bomb others are... I would prefer some more grapefruity taste as that is what I like most about IPA's...

Not overpowering in the alcohol taste department which is good.

Smell is fantastic.. loved it.

4.11/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very good IPA. Good head and a bright aroma. The body is nicely carbonated and not too light. It's actually pretty sweet at first taste, borderline too sweet, but makes up with a decently bitter finish to balance. Finish lingers long enough. The 9% ABV is nice as well.

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

12oz Can canned on 07/30/2014. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark amber with 1 finger of head with lacing down the glass

Smell: Pine and spruce hops

Taste: Theres hop flavor up front of pine and earth notes but quickly develops into a mix of malt and some alcohol warmth

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and cloying

Overall: This blurs the line between Double IPA and a strong ale/American barley wine. Its mouthfeel and flavor profile remind me of Dogfish Head 90 min. Theres a lot of complexity but as far at the Hop flavor of an American DIPA, this has a lot of malt and alcohol to cover it up.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Presentation: 12 oz. can poured into a Karbach Brewing pint glass. Served chilled straight from the can. No freshness date (from what I can find) on the can.

Appearance: Copper orange to light brown in color with a really nice, cloudy, sticky white head with great retention. Leaves a really nice lacing all the way down.

Aroma: Floral and piney hop notes definitely assert themsleves upfront. A touch of malt background but spicy hop notes definitely dominate.

Taste: Tons of pine hop notes upfront. The hop profile is really unique too. Very spicy and floral at the same time. Bitter but not overly so. Really interesting. It is definitely growing on me with each sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a nice creaminess. Some nice carbonation to lighten it. Spot on for the style.

Overall, a really interesting but tasty IPA with a really unique hop profile. Refreshing and tasty for sure. Glad I got to try this.

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Really good IPA but, as with most Texas beers, it falls short compared to IPAs from the PNW, Alaska and Cali. If the water were cleaner I think this beer would be better. But, compared to other Texas beers, it's above average. I love my home State of Texas but we are just a step behind compared to other craft beer states.

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

On-tap at Liberty Station

Appearance: copper amber with a tinge of red. Very nice clarity. Decent head retention with some lacing, at least for such a high ABV. Good amount of carbonation.

Smell: Hops in a glass. Citra and Magnum were obvious. Very strong pine resin and spruce upon entry with commanding presence throughout. Other evergreen and more vegetal aromas combine with some temporary herbaceousness. I get something close to star anise. Grapefruit and citrus quite evident, almost dominating. Floral notes. Good amount of sweet aroma with a hint of malt. A nice appearance of pineapple as the beer warmed up. Possibly a bit of peach or nectarine. Quite complex considering its initial simple entry.

Taste: Hops in a glass. Very similar to the aroma. Pine is quite evident, but not overly dry. Citrus and pineapple. Stereotypical IPA mid palate. Not excessively bitter. Some hints of tea and roses. Very good balance. The malt and the hop bitterness play of each other. A nice sweet finish reminiscent of honey with a good biscuity flavor.

Mouthfeel: Nice, smooth, and silky. Maltiness gives great full to medium body. There's just enough carbonation and froth. Very drinkable. Until I checked their website, I had no idea this was 9.5% ABV. Whatever rough edges this beer has, it gets better with time and temperature. Good for a long sip. Finish was long but abruptly ends with some dryness. Good astringency serves as a reminder that this ale follow the style.

Overall: Much better than the Hopadillo. This is a great new beer from Karbach. This and the Weisse Versa are their best offerings. I like the maltiness. There is enough sweetness (not cloying) and quality mouthfeel to make this something that I want to drink on a regular basis.

This brew is what introduced me to the whole Craft seen first sip and I was I hooked ... very strong and very hoppy almost too hoppy but a great brew

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Copper in color with a clear body, this double IPA has a nice appearance that emphasizes a substantial off- white head of foam with generous lacing. The nose on this beer is one of dark fruits, candy- like malt sweetness, a touch of pine, and some earthy hops.

With the taste, this beer offers plenty to like. The flavors of caramel, pine, grapefruit, and caramel are the standouts, along with some herbal notes, earthy, sticky hops, and alcohol. Different flavors vie for your attention and the overall taste, while certainly leaning toward the hoppy side, still attempts to balance itself with other flavors.

This is a tasty double IPA from Karbach and a complex brew. The complexities are somewhat lost if you drink the beer too cold. They become more noticeable as the beer warms slightly and they continue to reward with each passing sip. I must say that I like the draft version of this beer best, but the canned version is still very tasty and it is definitely a beer worth seeking out.

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%

12 oz can poured into a stange glass
A - pretty frothy head with a decent amount of lot of lacing. Mahogany color off the pour with a decent amount of haze.
S - malt all up in your nasal pieces but incredibly balanced with a dank nug type resin smell
T - like most DIPAs very hop forward but really well balanced with the malts. High gravity but not boozy at all
M - not extremely carbonated but I love the oily hops feel to the mouth. Excellent finish that lingers but not crazy heavy
O - I'm from Houston and I have beer drinking this brew for a few years now. This and Saint Arnold's Endevour are two of the best DIPAs I have recently, not just in HTown but overall. This is an extremely drinkable DIPA and due to its banging malt flavor could be put up against any Oktoberfest beer once the fall comes around. Great beer

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%

Served in a Darkness tulip. Thanks to Chris for picking one of these up for me in Texas. Bottom of the can cryptically displays 052K-3 02902.

A – Pours with a finger of creamy yellow-tinged foam, eventually settling to a thick collar, wisps, and splotches of lace. Hazy dark amber-red body, with a few stray bubbles adhering to the sides of the glass.

S – Citrus hops, light pine and earthiness, grapefruit zest, a bit of tropical fruit. Fairly heft malt backdrop, with some red fruits and treacle, as well as a bit of bread and burnt sugars. A tad odd for the style, but fairly pleasant.

T – Taste is a bit more malt-heavy, with moderate, lingering hop bitterness. Tropical fruits integrate with a caramel and tangerine hop flavors, but there’s enough zest to balance the sweetness. The ABV wasn’t listed on the can, but I assumed this was a bigger East Coast DIPA (and was proved right, but the listed 9.5%).

M – Medium-full body, with a syrupy and somewhat heavy feel to it. Lower carbonation, and thankfully dry in the finish, with lingering hop oils. Well-hidden alcohol. One of the rare occasions where I thought a beer needed more spritz.

D – Not really my kind of DIPA, but there’s no major flaws or issues either. I had no problem with the 12oz can, but it’s not really a beer of which I’d order multiples. Solid, but will be forgotten by tomorrow.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz can poured into pint glass.

A - Pours a very cloudy burnt orange/brown with 2 fingers of creamy light khaki head. Half a finger of head persists for a very long time.

S - This is very sweet smelling at first. Lots of caramel malt, along with grapefruit, pine, and earthy hops.

T - The hop profile is comprised of mainly pine and grapefruit. A large caramel malt sweetness rounds this out, and there is a good amount of earthy hop bitterness. This is sweeter than I was expecting.

M - Moderately thick mouthfeel that tends to be sticky and resinous. The carbonation is done well, as this is very smooth and creamy. Lots of syrupy stickiness on the aftertaste.

O - A pretty well done DIPA from Karbach. Not exactly what I was expecting, but good nonetheless. It's a bit too sticky and syrupy to have more than one.

Rodeo Clown from Karbach Brewing Co.