Karbachtoberfest - Karbach Brewing Co.

Karbach Brewing Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: champ103 on 09-06-2012

Reviews by BryanCarey:
3.46/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pouring to an orange/tan color, this Oktoberfest style beer has a nose of bread and biscuit malts, with a touch of vanilla. A good pour will result in a nice head of foam, but you need to be a little more aggressive out of the can, as this one tends to be less assertive in its frothiness than other Oktoberfests.

Tasting this beer reveals a product with flavors of grains, caramel, biscuits, and toasted malt. The beer is mostly sweet, but there is a lingering bitterness that doesn’t overwhelm and does help to balance out the tasting experience.

Karbachtoberfest is brewed in the Marzen tradition and it does pull off the style fairly well. I don’t know why, but the taste of this beer made me want to light up a cigarette or cigar, and I’m not even a smoker. Its flavor just seems like it would match well with a good smoke. It is a little lighter in body than other Karbach beers and a little less impressive. But I still like it well enough overall to recommend.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a mason jar. Hazy, amber color with a thin head that recedes rapidly leaving no lacing. Aroma of sour dough bread and hops. Taste of roasted malt, toffee, and spicy hops with a crisp, slightly dry finish. Medium carbonation and medium-light body with no aftertaste.
I like this Oktoberfest. Other reviews call it terrible, but it is pretty good every time I've had it. I buy a 6er of it every September and will continue to pick it up while it's convenient.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

2.11/5  rDev -41.9%

Pours out to a half inch head and no lacing. Color is a deep gold hue that seems too light for style. Aroma is cheap sulfury macro lager, veggies, cooked pasta and toasted grains. Flavor is harsh and frustrating. There seems to be no focus but sulfur, grain sweetness and a harsh, unappetizing bitterness. Mouthfeel is a bit rough, which I describe the way canned Coke versus bottled coke feels (don't tell me aluminum cans don't affect craft beer!). There's something about the way it coats my tongue and makes my teeth feel chalky that's just wrong. This is not worthy of being called a Marzen/O-fest. Pass. I'd rather have a PBR than whatever this is. Obviously something went wrong. I can't imagine they seriously thought this batch was worthy.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Not the best Octoberfest I've had. I usually enjoy Karbarch, but I think they've missed the mark on this one. This was missing the full flavor of an Octoberfest.

1.74/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Pours out a golden orange with a thin head. Weird vegetal/burnt hair aroma. It overwhelms everything. I get some of that aroma in the taste as well. Very grainy. Like a macro brew. Scratch that, I've had better macro brews than this. Mouthfeel is a bit prickly and thin. This beer is awful. It's to oktoberfest as Love Street is to kolsch. A joke. I can't believe that the brewmaster studied brewing in Germany. Sympathy and Weisse Versa are excellent German style brews, but this misses the mark totally. I can't believe he let this leave the brewhouse (same opinion of Love Street). I have never drunk an oktoberfest worse than this one.

Karbachtoberfest from Karbach Brewing Co.