Karbachtoberfest - Karbach Brewing Co.

KarbachtoberfestKarbachtoberfest

good

Karbach Brewing Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: champ103 on 09-06-2012)
Reviews by woodychandler:
4.26/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Have I mentioned what a great CANtrader the mighty JenRay is? She has sent me so many TexiCANs that I CAN hardly keep up! Case in point is this one, which awaited picture approval and then rotation in the pipeline here at CANQuest Central (TM).

From the CAN: "Brewed in Texas"; "It's still summer."; "Oompah! Every year in Munich a litle party is thrown. If you've ever been, there are some things you may or may not remember: Lederhosen envy, oompah music, dirndls, and rolling down the hill. One thing you surely haven't forgotten is the extremely quaffable beer. While you may not be able to attend Oktoberfest this year, you [CAN] experience the world's biggest beer fest right here with Karbachtoberfest. An authentic, Bavarian-style Marzen, decoction mashed with Vienna and Munich malts, cold fermented and aged for six weeks, this beer pairs well with pretzels and sausage, but it tastes mighty fine on its own. Eins, Zwei, G'suffa!"

I heard a tuba instead of a Crack! upon opening this one, so I must be at the right place, albeit wrong time. Der fraulein nodded her assent to an inverted Glug and so things began. The pseudo-cascade led to two fingers of dense, French Vanilla-colored head with not only good retention, but it looked like the top of an ice cream cone. The unending barrage of bubbles made it look like a lava lamp had been plugged in. Color was a deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and of course, the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Croesus and Midas suddenly appeared, each slavering like the wild dogs that they are. Nose had a honey-like sweetness along with a biscuity quality and pretzel in hand (no joke), I was ready for my first sip. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, thanks in large part to its intense carbonation. Speaking of intense, the honey flavor was just that! It was not sweet, per se, but it really tasted highly of honey, which I do not remember from the style. Frankly, I had girded myself for a malt bomb, which is what I remember, mistakenly or no. This was really good and it meshed nicely with my pretzel. I kid you not. Here in south-central PA, if you are a native, you always have a bag of pretzels on-hand at all times. Finish was semi-sweet, but that was just fine with me. Definitely worth looking for at the appropriate time of the year.

woodychandler, Apr 18, 2014

JasonMinck, Sep 09, 2013

hoppy91, Sep 11, 2014

bmurray10, Feb 19, 2014
2.1/5  rDev -40.7%

Pours out to a half inch head and no lacing. Color is a deep gold hue that seems too light for style. Aroma is cheap sulfury macro lager, veggies, cooked pasta and toasted grains. Flavor is harsh and frustrating. There seems to be no focus but sulfur, grain sweetness and a harsh, unappetizing bitterness. Mouthfeel is a bit rough, which I describe the way canned Coke versus bottled coke feels (don't tell me aluminum cans don't affect craft beer!). There's something about the way it coats my tongue and makes my teeth feel chalky that's just wrong. This is not worthy of being called a Marzen/O-fest. Pass. I'd rather have a PBR than whatever this is. Obviously something went wrong. I can't imagine they seriously thought this batch was worthy.

EagleTalon, Sep 29, 2013

cfrobrew, Oct 26, 2012

GeoCait, Oct 06, 2013

Not the best Octoberfest I've had. I usually enjoy Karbarch, but I think they've missed the mark on this one. This was missing the full flavor of an Octoberfest.

Junger11, Sunday at 03:23 PM
1.73/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Pours out a golden orange with a thin head. Weird vegetal/burnt hair aroma. It overwhelms everything. I get some of that aroma in the taste as well. Very grainy. Like a macro brew. Scratch that, I've had better macro brews than this. Mouthfeel is a bit prickly and thin. This beer is awful. It's to oktoberfest as Love Street is to kolsch. A joke. I can't believe that the brewmaster studied brewing in Germany. Sympathy and Weisse Versa are excellent German style brews, but this misses the mark totally. I can't believe he let this leave the brewhouse (same opinion of Love Street). I have never drunk an oktoberfest worse than this one.

goochpunch, Sep 18, 2013

LakerLeith, Jul 29, 2014

st9647v3, Jan 02, 2014

Bearman13, Sep 21, 2013

BlueMoon10, Aug 31, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

12 oz can pours a stunningly clear medium gold color with a small off-white head. Not much for retention and lace.

Nose is toffee, crushed grain and an underlying lagerous sulfur. Smells like something in between a marzen and a festbier.

Taste blends sweet, honeyed grains with darker toasty, husky flavors almost to perfection. There is just a light touch of hops, but I could actually use just a bit more grassiness on the front end. An amazingly deft lager for an American brewery that specializes mostly in ales. It still very much reminds me of blending a Hofbrau festbier with a fresh Spaten marzen, it's a 'tweener' beer that really works well. This is one of the best Oktoberfest seasonal beers I have ever had. I have already gone through 2 sixers and will be getting more in the very near future.

twiggamortis420, Sep 10, 2013
Karbachtoberfest from Karbach Brewing Co.