Hop Delusion - Karbach Brewing Co.

Hop DelusionHop Delusion

Karbach Brewing Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: champ103 on 03-15-2013

You are in a state of full Hop Delusion, but you knew what you signed up for when you popped this bottle. You knew that it had over 100 IBUs of hop bitterness and that it was dry hopped with insane amounts of Simcoe and Mosaic hops, but you chose to drink it anyway. It's difficult to say if you will ever snap out of it, for you have been smitten with the disorder that many can never overcome.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another IPA that is very malty in nature. Aroma is above average. Taste is very nice. Not super bitter. Very flavorful. Good Texas IPA that id have again. (154 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Solid looking. Burnt orange with nice head and lacing. Smell is orange, tangerines, and guava. Tons of citrus notes. Good upfront bitterness that rides on the palate throughout. Like the aroma I'm getting tons of guava and tangerines in the finish. Good tropical notes. As it warms toasted malt starts to overwhelm the citrus and is really taking away from the flavor. A toasty sweetness takes over. Around 3/4 of the way through it gets pretty taxing to drink. Heavy, sweet and sticky mouthfeel. Better than Rodeo Clown. (521 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of the best beers I've had from Texas. Probably second to Heavy Machinery. It looks fantastic and the smell is tropical with a hint of pine. Almost smells like a California IPA. Taste is perfectly balanced. Just the right amount of tropical fruits, bitterness, and resin. Probably the least boozy 9%er I've ever had. (328 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy gold with a small off white head. The nose is full of the hop aromas you would expect plus some booziness. The taste reflects this but honestly the flavors seem kind of out of whack, like the different hop flavors weren't balanced very well. Overall it was kinda disappointing for me. I was ready for a hop bomb, but I didn't care for the hop flavor profile too much. I can understand the love it gets though considering there aren't too many hop bomb IIPA's coming from Texas. (490 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -64.8%

22 oz bomber poured into a goblet.
Pours brownish yellow with thick off white head. Substantial lacing.
Orange peel and grass in the nose.
Very imbalanced. There is a strong hop presence here but I question the proportions. The malt presence is subdued but there is an off-putting sweetness. I get some bitter grapefruit pith and alka seltzer.
This beer set my teeth on edge. I could not finish it. Overpriced. I am glad that Karbach is bucking the Texas brewery tendency to put out Kolsch and Hefe-Weizens, but I think they need to rework this one and Rodeo Clown. Lacking subtlety and drinkability. (602 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Overall this is probably the best beer I've had from Karbach.

I have had this from cans and bottle. Both versions are phenomenal.

Appearance: Golden tangerine color with a white foamy head which possesses great retention. Lacing throughout the drinking experience.

Smell: Lots of dank citrus, Citra dry-hopping makes this wonderful to smell. This is a fantastic beer to admire and just keeps getting better and more fragrant as it warms. Alcohol is invisible.

Taste: Very hop forward but the citrus intensity is so delightful. Passion fruit, grapefruit and sweet caramel dance on the palate. Bitterness is at a balanced level, enough to which states this is a DIPA. Clean finish as well, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Mouthfeel: Assertive, complex but very smooth and almost creamy texture. This is a beer I could enjoy over and over again.

Overall if you have any friends/relatives/trade partners in Texas, please get your hands on this one. Fantastic and a joy to drink. (978 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

Got this as an extra in a trade. Pours a orange reddish Amber. Thick white head that disappears into a sticky lacing. The aroma is overwhelmingly boozie. I was nervous that it would taste too boozy but it's pretty balanced considering the ABV. I get a lot of pine and a decent amount of booze in the finish. Really good imperial. (335 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -56.3%

On tap this DIPA is ok. This year is not great when compared to 2014. However the canned batches are acrid and horrible tasting. I call it acrid, some people are calling it an onion off flavor. This beer was canned 4/292015' very fresh. Very bleah. It only has a hint of the nice citrus and floral hop aromas. It seems like all the nice flavoring hop oils went to the kegs and we got stuck with the dregs. There is something very wrong with this beer. Avoid this latest batch of canned Hop Delusion. We deserve better from Karbach. (531 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really like this beer. I'm a decent fan just because I support local breweries, but this hits the spot with my palate. I'm s home brewer myself and can instantly pick out the mosaic and simcoe. I just wanna say, great job Karbach, another great offering. (256 characters)

Pours a dark copper color with plenty of creamy head. Smells of piney and tropical hops. Distinctively Mosaic. Taste is an explosion of hop flavor, touch of alcohol, and clean crisp bitterness. One of the best Imperial IPA's I've had and certainly the best to come out of Houston. (280 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Fantastic DIPA, and IMO easily the best thing Karbach does excluding their fun series brews. Loaded with mosaic hops which is apparent in the nose and taste. I LOVE mosaic hops. Nothing compares to that tropical mango like flavor. They did an excellent job balancing out that super sticky dank hop mess with some sweet malts. If you haven't tried it do it. (362 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Always a solid beer. Not too malty for an IPA, great balance. This could be my favorite double coming out of Texas honestly, although Valkyrie is a good shout. (161 characters)

Holy sh*t. Best Karbach IPA to date. Hopadillo and Weekend Warrior fans will love the transition. Reminds me slightly of LP Yellow Rose but better because I can get it cold, in a can, and with higher ABV. (204 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Hop Delusion from Karbach Brewing Co.