Roshambo Belgian Style IPA - Karbach Brewing Co.

Roshambo Belgian Style IPA
No picture uploaded.

Karbach Brewing Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BryanCarey on 04-27-2013)

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with decent label art and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired for $8.00 USD at the Growler Room here in Austin and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery, which I could see pulling off this style well. Reviewed as Belgian IPA because it clearly identifies as such in the name and on the label. No ABV is listed on the bottle (is this a "thing" with Texas breweries?).

Served cold, straight from me fridge, and side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a three finger wide head of white colour. Nice taut creaminess. Good thickness. Some uneven lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is good for the ABV - about 4 minutes.

Body colour is a clear copper of slightly above average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

There are no overt flaws, but it's not unique or special. Standard fare for the style.

Sm: Hopping is somewhat assertive for the style; I get pine, floral hops, and some juicy citrus (grapefruit and orange). I also get a kiss of onion. Caramalt, pale malts, Belgian pale malts. Not getting any candi sugar or overdone sweetness. Lightly toasted and bready. It seems balanced based on the aroma, and the bitterness/sweetness seems to be par for the style.

I'm not getting any yeasty notes or alcohol. Not spicy either. I don't get any off-notes.

Floral notes dominate.

Overall, it's a pleasant aroma of mild strength. I'm slightly concerned it may be overhopped for the style, but I'm optimistic given the brewery.

T: Caramalts, pale malts, and Belgian pale malts provide the generally supportive foundation. Some breadiness and malty sweetness in there too. Hopping is definitely American, but isn't too bitter. Dominant floral hop notes, some pleasant but lightly biting pine, an herbal note, and lightly zesty grapefruit citrus esters; sadly, no orange citrus notes emerge. Not as juicy as I'd like. It's definitely cleanly fermented; you can thank the efficient Belgian yeast for that. Has a hint of a grainy presence in the second act. Overall, I do think the hoppiness is well suited to the maltiness, but the balance isn't ideal. It's got some complexity, but not much subtlety - and could use more of both (but there are few beers that can't). I do like the build of it; it's got good elements and has cohesion though the flavour profile never quite feels gestalt.

Average depth and duration of flavour. Flavour intensity is biteen high for the style; traditional Belgian IPAs aren't quite so assertively hopped, but I think it works here. They didn't push it too far.

It's a pleasant approachable beer in the Belgian IPA style.

No yeasty notes come through. No spiciness. There're hints of alcohol.

Mf: Overcarbonated - perhaps its biggest issue, to the point where it's lightly biting. Smooth and wet. Clean and crisp. Nice thickness and body. Decent presence on the palate, though it does seem aggressive for the style, which is meant to be naturally more mellow than American style IPAs. The mouthfeel suits the flavour profile decently, but doesn't feel custom-tailored to it. It's not a perfect marriage of texture to taste. It has a nice softness up front, but that deteriorates in the late second act.

Not oily, harsh, gushed, hot, or boozy.

Decent execution overall.

Dr: Drinkable, but not without its flaws. For me, the biggest issues it has are its overcarbonation and alcohol presence; no Belgian IPA should be this assertive. It's more an American IPA-meets-Belgian IPA. As much as I like a lot of what is here, I wouldn't get it again at $8/bomber. I'm assuming it's much cheaper in Houston, but frankly there are better Belgian IPAs (and American IPAs) available at a better or equal price point. This is a spirited inspired attempt at the style, but it's far from world-class. I wouldn't recommend this to friends or trade partners, but it's an above average brew from Karbach and while it's not fantastic, I can't see it disappointing.

C+

3.38/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms but recedes in a minute. Light lace.
S: A big orange and citrus aromas up front. Slightly bitter, though balanced with toasted and slightly sweet malts.
T: Up front is very citrusy and orange rind. Kind of juicy, and then the malts kick in. Bread, biscuit, sweet malt. Pretty standard overall.
M/D: A medium body and moderate carbonation. I wish it was a bit more crisp and dry. Not hard to drink. Though nothing I really care to come back to.

Not bad, just fairly ho hum. I'll take Hopadillo any day over this, and there is nothing Belgian about this. Just average.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%

I believe this is my first taste of this brewery's beer. All good so far!

Tan and clear with a good white head and plenty of lace.

Aroma and flavor are a little more towards the IPA end of the spectrum for this style. Hops dominate, but there are notes of breadiness and a light and pleasant sweetness as well. The flavor is full and tasty.

Body is creamy and medium, carbonation is smooth, it's an enjoyable beer. I will look for others from Karbach, since this one is so tasty.

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours out a hazy copper with a quickly receding white head. I smell light pale malts, a bit of booze, and some piney/citrus hops. Flavor is a bit too sweet for my liking. Malts are somewhat bready. This is quite malty overall. I'm not getting enough bitterness to balance the sweet. Floral hop in the finish. I hardly get any Belgian character. Would I even get any Belgian character if this wasn't called a "Belgian Style IPA?" I don't think so. Expecting "Belgian," I'd hoped for a more bubbly beer. Overall this was really smooth on the tongue.

This certainly isn't a bad IPA, but I don't see the justification of buying this over Hopadillo, especially since Hopadillo comes in a 6 of cans (at a better dollar/oz. ration). I think I would've liked this more if I wasn't expecting a more "Belgian style" beer (as marketed).

This gets boozy as it warms up. Not feeling this.

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle poured into a large snifter.

A: Pours a deep burnt orange color. Nice head. About 1-2 fingers worth. Fades slowly to a ring around the glass and a bit thin layer over the top. Decent lacing.

S: grapefruit, citrus, pine. very nice.

T: similar to the nose. grapefruit, pine, citrus, orange peel. I get a bit of bready-ness on the back end. At 7.5% alcohol this is no abv bomb, but the alcohol is masked well, none-the-less. Hop flavor lingers in the mouth

M: good mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Coats the mouth well, but not in the way that a stout would.

O: good beer. Decently priced for a bomber at 4.99 in specs. Look forward to drinking this again at the brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Roshambo Belgian Style IPA from Karbach Brewing Co.