Revival Double Black IPA - Revival Brewing Co.

Revival Double Black IPARevival Double Black IPA

Revival Brewing Co. visit their website
Rhode Island, United States

American Black Ale |  8.00% ABV

This Cascadian Dark Ale, otherwise know as our Double Black IPA, emerged stylistically from the Pacific North West. It has an IPA backbone with a "special blend" of choice roasted malts combined with a hard hitting matchup of hops, knocking this beer into a new weight class. Dry hopped and unfiltered for maximum flavor and punch. Enjoy it with a trainer!

(Beer added by: TheManiacalOne on 01-15-2012)
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this up on broadway served with an oven roasted pork dish and it was outstanding. I'm typically a straight-up IPA consumer, but this sat really well with me. I especially enjoy the smooth finish on the back. Must try on tap!

I know it's a black, but since I'm a hop-nut I would have liked a tad more bitterness in the after taste. But, overall a very pleasant dinner brew.

Beerswede, Jan 10, 2014

Schmuckles, Sep 30, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Tamorin, Sep 29, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Pours a coffee brown color; the tan head pancakes down, leaving some splashy lacing behind

Smell: Burnt toast, lemon and pine

Taste: The hops jut forward here, with the lemon from the Soriachi Ace and the pine from the Chinook each staking a claim; roasted and slightly burnt toast flavors build underneath through mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavors blend together though the lemon emerges just a bit triumphant in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: One of the best ABAs I have encountered, showing tremendous balance and a creative hop profile

brentk56, Sep 05, 2013

Horbar, Jul 27, 2013
3.83/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'll admit, this was only a 4 oz. sampling at Mews Tavern in RI but I'll give it review anyway.

It was dark as advertised and I really couldn't get a sense of the head. It hid the 8% ABV pretty well and was well balanced between the 85 IBUs and the malts. The only thing that holds this brew back for me is the mouth fell. I thought it was a bit on the thin side for my taste but I'm sure some others will be fine with it.

Definitely worth a try.

ExtraStout, Jul 05, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

A-Pours very dark. Small sample size relegates my other depictions of the appearance to mere assumptions.

S-I enjoyed the nose but thought it could use a bit more muscle. Its very well balanced. I actually thought it may lean toward the malty side. Lots of roast and chocolate with a subtle mixture of ripe citrus and piney hops.

T-The flavor I like even better. The malt is loaded with sweet chocolate tones. The hops are floral and quite citrusy. It makes me think of a chocolate orange, the one you whack in a table to break open. Perfect balance and I enjoy how the malt may provide more than the hops here.

M-A bit creamy. Growing bitterness. No booze. Tickling bubbles.

O/D-An enjoyable brew. One of the best Rhode Island brews I have had. A memorable take on a style that can be volatile.

VelvetExtract, Jun 11, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -10%

Mark5252, Jun 07, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a very dark brown coloring with slight ruby highlights around the edges and a frothy, small bubbled, thin head coating the surface. Aromas of roast and chocolate, with resiny and bitter hops presence to balance out the nose. Very rich smells. Flavors are bitter and resiny on the forward tongue, with a darkly roasted backbone of coffee and bittersweet chocolate. The palate is a bit off balance, with bitterness at the beginning and end overpowering. The body is light, and the carbonation makes it effervescent, and almost sharp. Bitter roast and hoppy aftertaste, with a dry, almost astringent finish. Roasty linger left behind. This one was promising, but it came off the rails a bit at the end.

GarthDanielson, Jun 07, 2013
4.11/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a dark black color. Didn't pours like a stout, though. There was about 2-3 fingers of a light tan, almost white head. Some lacing is left on the glass as I get through this.

S: When I first poured this all I smelled was piney hops. I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and smelled again and chocolate malts was the main scent I picked up. Upon further sniffing, combination of heavy chocolate and faint hops is what this brew gives off. Definitely unique.

T: Wow, this is unique. Chocolate malts with some piney, resin-like hops. I can taste the Chinook hops but the Sorachi ace isn't really picked up. I picked up a little caramel hops as well. Bitter tasting on the end. Nonetheless there isn't much beyond the chocolate, caramel and the hops.

M: This is a medium to full bodied brew. More on the medium side, though. Kinda dried my mouth out, which is customary with IPAs.

Overall: This brew has gotten better as I've continued to drink it. There are some good qualities that lie within this. The chocolate malts combined with the Chinook and Sorachi Ace hops is definitely a unique and delicious combination. I like this brew and I'll definitely continue to buy this in the future. Great job Sean!

RichD, Apr 12, 2013

Celtics76, Apr 03, 2013

beertardis, Mar 27, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

MAUEX_MFA, Mar 26, 2013

TheMultiYeast, Feb 22, 2013

barroomhero1977, Feb 06, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +26%

A: pours fairly viscous and black in color about 2 fingers of a khaki head which stuck around for awhile with a good ammount of lacing when held to the light shows that there are dark brown notes on the color of the beer

S: lots of resin on the nose but mostly a kind of dank and earthy smell coming from the hops ending with some chocolate malt character

T: very well balanced taste the the earthy bitterness of the hops blends well with the chocolate undertones of the malt again the taste is reminiscent of bittersweet chocolate

M: full bodied very creamy mouthfeel very easy to drink very light carbonation like most darker beers should be

O: drinks well may be the best of example of a black ipa that I have had even more than the west coast black ipa's including Firestone walker I always felt that the fruity west coast style ipa's didn't fit well with the dark malts but this beer strikes that perfect balance which proves tha east coast style ipa's fit with these malts better so overall the earthy hops and the chocolate malts great a great blend go and get some of this

smcnulty1981, Jan 13, 2013

benoit917, Jan 13, 2013

tenacioustomato, Jan 11, 2013
Revival Double Black IPA from Revival Brewing Co.